HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Rumor: WPG/CJB swap for partial season before full realignment

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2013, 08:45 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
Winning playing ottawa at home on the 19th, so no changes this year I guess.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:47 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taro Tsujimoto View Post
I still think the best way to go is:

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Division A

Boston
Buffalo
Montreal
New Jersey
NY Islanders
NY Rangers
Ottawa
Toronto

Division B

Carolina
Columbus
Florida
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Tampa Bay
Washington

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Division C

Chicago
Dallas
Detroit
Minnesota
Nashville
St. Louis
Winnipeg

Division D

Anaheim
Calgary
Colorado
Edmonton
Los Angeles
Phoenix
San Jose
Vancouver

Or in map form:

(Santa Ana = Anaheim, Fort Lauderdale = Florida)
I know everyone seems to be loving this, but the whole reason it wasn't adopted was cause Detroit would be hella pissed. They've been campaigning to move East for over a decade. They would now be the only Eastern time zone team in the whole conference. It was widely reported that the only reason Detroit agreed to the shelved proposal reamining in a western division was the divisioanl playoffs and reduced travel due to only multiple games within the "division".

If any of these simple keep the conferences relatively the same solutions would be agreeable to they would have been proposed instead of the radical realignment.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:49 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
All proposals must keep the Penguins and Flyers in the same division as the Rangers. There's no way they're taking the Penguins away from New York, which means they're not taking the Flyers away from the Penguins. The Rangers-Penguins-Flyers triangle is the league's collective meal ticket television-wise

Old
01-09-2013, 08:52 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
All proposals must keep the Penguins and Flyers in the same division as the Rangers. There's no way they're taking the Penguins away from New York, which means they're not taking the Flyers away from the Penguins. The Rangers-Penguins-Flyers triangle is the league's collective meal ticket television-wise
Yeah exactly. You can propose as many possible re-alignments as you want but you have to realize the reasons why the NHL didn't propose it that way to begin with. If its a simple swap solution, there's a reason why it didn't work for the NHL.

Old
01-09-2013, 08:56 AM
Shwag33

vCash: 500
Quote:

Why? As a pens fans I don't like them, but I'd gladly trade NY for Wash. NY/Pitt isnt that great of a rivalry.

If it was Pitt/Philly, it would be a different story.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:03 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by czwalga View Post
Why? As a pens fans I don't like them, but I'd gladly trade NY for Wash. NY/Pitt isnt that great of a rivalry.

If it was Pitt/Philly, it would be a different story.
For whatever reason this was a big issue for the teams involved. When the NHL was first discussing internally how to realign, Tampa, Florida was grouped with Pitt. When the final plan was put to a vote Tamp and Florida were instead grouped with the Maples Leafs etc. It was widely reported by the media that grouping the Pens, Flyers and Rangers was the only way to get the support needed.

I believe NYR and Philly were a necessity for both those teams and obviously Pitt and Philly were a necesity for both those teams. So the 3 were required to be together to appease everyone

Old
01-09-2013, 09:04 AM
KingsFan7824

NYR, NYI, NJ, Phi, Pit, Was, TB, Fla

There's not really a good reason why this shouldn't happen.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:08 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post

So Carolina would be grouped with the Leafs, Bruins etc rather than TB and Florida?

Not sure how thats any different than grouping TB and FLA with those teams. At least the argument with the TB FLA grouping was that many Canadian snowbirds would fill thsoe rinks for LEafs, habs and Sens games. Not too sure there are many CDN snowbirds in Carolina

Old
01-09-2013, 09:15 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Even for television, I disagree. I'd argue that one of the problems with national games is the inherent tendency to gravitate toward games between Philly/Pittsburgh or one of those two teams against New York.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:18 AM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post

You skipped over Carolina. So either Carolina goes into the division with the NE teams, which is more ridiculous than FLA and TB being there, or you make that an 8-team division and you move both Columbus and Detroit to the NE. However, Detroit isn't moving, so there are your reasons why that wouldn't happen.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:23 AM
MNNumbers

De Ja Vu

It is rather amusing and entertaining to read the last page of this thread. It's all the same discussion as last year when the league was working on their realignment.

There is not one thing here that's new. And, we saw what the league came up with.

Basically, there are real issues that are problems for any 'great idea' any of us will have.
So, what the league will do is decide on whatever creates the least problems for the 30 clubs. Even if it doesn't make sense to any of us.

All we do here is guess. And, we are not guessing at 'what makes most sense'. We are guessing at "Which way is the league going to compromise to keep the most people happy."

Any way, carry on...

Old
01-09-2013, 09:29 AM
NJDevils7

Quote:
AND, I dont see any way that they could separate the Devils or Islanders from the Rangers. (with the rivalries and being so close). So i think the Atlantic division will stay together.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:37 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

This thread has diverged from the OP into a generic re-alignment one.

Closed.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:41 AM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
So Carolina would be grouped with the Leafs, Bruins etc rather than TB and Florida?

Not sure how thats any different than grouping TB and FLA with those teams. At least the argument with the TB FLA grouping was that many Canadian snowbirds would fill thsoe rinks for LEafs, habs and Sens games. Not too sure there are many CDN snowbirds in Carolina
Not much difference. At least Carolina was in a division with Boston, Buffalo, Ottawa, and Montreal for a year. They used to be the Whalers. At least there's some connection.

Could make it all easy and move Pittsburgh, but of course that's maybe the major road block in any realignment.

Plus I'm guessing Tampa and Florida were put with the NE division mostly because none of the important teams in the East wanted to be in a group with 8 teams. There's no way to have less than 8 teams if you're putting the old Patrick division back together if you have to include Tampa and Florida, so the NE got stuck with them.

Old
01-09-2013, 09:41 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

my ideal solution would be. Keep NY metro based teams, Pitts and Philly together. No division (or mini-conference) have only one CDN (or only one US) based team. No division/mini-conferance have teams that differ more than one time zone.

NHL's solution had all but the the CDN component in it.

Closed Thread