HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Rumor: WPG/CJB swap for partial season before full realignment

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-09-2013, 08:45 AM
  #151
danishh
Dat Stache
 
danishh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: mtl/ott/somewhere
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,654
vCash: 50
Winning playing ottawa at home on the 19th, so no changes this year I guess.

danishh is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 08:47 AM
  #152
cheswick
Non-registered User
 
cheswick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Peg City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,943
vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taro Tsujimoto View Post
I still think the best way to go is:

EASTERN CONFERENCE

Division A

Boston
Buffalo
Montreal
New Jersey
NY Islanders
NY Rangers
Ottawa
Toronto

Division B

Carolina
Columbus
Florida
Philadelphia
Pittsburgh
Tampa Bay
Washington

WESTERN CONFERENCE

Division C

Chicago
Dallas
Detroit
Minnesota
Nashville
St. Louis
Winnipeg

Division D

Anaheim
Calgary
Colorado
Edmonton
Los Angeles
Phoenix
San Jose
Vancouver

Or in map form:



(Santa Ana = Anaheim, Fort Lauderdale = Florida)
I know everyone seems to be loving this, but the whole reason it wasn't adopted was cause Detroit would be hella pissed. They've been campaigning to move East for over a decade. They would now be the only Eastern time zone team in the whole conference. It was widely reported that the only reason Detroit agreed to the shelved proposal reamining in a western division was the divisioanl playoffs and reduced travel due to only multiple games within the "division".

If any of these simple keep the conferences relatively the same solutions would be agreeable to they would have been proposed instead of the radical realignment.

cheswick is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 08:49 AM
  #153
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,888
vCash: 5792
All proposals must keep the Penguins and Flyers in the same division as the Rangers. There's no way they're taking the Penguins away from New York, which means they're not taking the Flyers away from the Penguins. The Rangers-Penguins-Flyers triangle is the league's collective meal ticket television-wise

GKJ is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 08:52 AM
  #154
cheswick
Non-registered User
 
cheswick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Peg City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,943
vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
All proposals must keep the Penguins and Flyers in the same division as the Rangers. There's no way they're taking the Penguins away from New York, which means they're not taking the Flyers away from the Penguins. The Rangers-Penguins-Flyers triangle is the league's collective meal ticket television-wise
Yeah exactly. You can propose as many possible re-alignments as you want but you have to realize the reasons why the NHL didn't propose it that way to begin with. If its a simple swap solution, there's a reason why it didn't work for the NHL.

cheswick is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 08:56 AM
  #155
Shwag33
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
All proposals must keep the Penguins and Flyers in the same division as the Rangers. There's no way they're taking the Penguins away from New York, which means they're not taking the Flyers away from the Penguins. The Rangers-Penguins-Flyers triangle is the league's collective meal ticket television-wise


Why? As a pens fans I don't like them, but I'd gladly trade NY for Wash. NY/Pitt isnt that great of a rivalry.


If it was Pitt/Philly, it would be a different story.

Shwag33 is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 09:03 AM
  #156
cheswick
Non-registered User
 
cheswick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Peg City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,943
vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by czwalga View Post
Why? As a pens fans I don't like them, but I'd gladly trade NY for Wash. NY/Pitt isnt that great of a rivalry.


If it was Pitt/Philly, it would be a different story.
For whatever reason this was a big issue for the teams involved. When the NHL was first discussing internally how to realign, Tampa, Florida was grouped with Pitt. When the final plan was put to a vote Tamp and Florida were instead grouped with the Maples Leafs etc. It was widely reported by the media that grouping the Pens, Flyers and Rangers was the only way to get the support needed.

I believe NYR and Philly were a necessity for both those teams and obviously Pitt and Philly were a necesity for both those teams. So the 3 were required to be together to appease everyone

cheswick is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 09:04 AM
  #157
KingsFan7824
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,880
vCash: 500
NYR, NYI, NJ, Phi, Pit, Was, TB, Fla

There's not really a good reason why this shouldn't happen.

KingsFan7824 is online now  
Old
01-09-2013, 09:08 AM
  #158
cheswick
Non-registered User
 
cheswick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Peg City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,943
vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
NYR, NYI, NJ, Phi, Pit, Was, TB, Fla

There's not really a good reason why this shouldn't happen.
So Carolina would be grouped with the Leafs, Bruins etc rather than TB and Florida?

Not sure how thats any different than grouping TB and FLA with those teams. At least the argument with the TB FLA grouping was that many Canadian snowbirds would fill thsoe rinks for LEafs, habs and Sens games. Not too sure there are many CDN snowbirds in Carolina

cheswick is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 09:15 AM
  #159
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/
 
Mayor Bee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 14,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
All proposals must keep the Penguins and Flyers in the same division as the Rangers. There's no way they're taking the Penguins away from New York, which means they're not taking the Flyers away from the Penguins. The Rangers-Penguins-Flyers triangle is the league's collective meal ticket television-wise
Even for television, I disagree. I'd argue that one of the problems with national games is the inherent tendency to gravitate toward games between Philly/Pittsburgh or one of those two teams against New York.

Mayor Bee is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 09:18 AM
  #160
Tawnos
Moderator
BoH Mod Only
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,410
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
NYR, NYI, NJ, Phi, Pit, Was, TB, Fla

There's not really a good reason why this shouldn't happen.
You skipped over Carolina. So either Carolina goes into the division with the NE teams, which is more ridiculous than FLA and TB being there, or you make that an 8-team division and you move both Columbus and Detroit to the NE. However, Detroit isn't moving, so there are your reasons why that wouldn't happen.

Tawnos is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 09:23 AM
  #161
MNNumbers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,210
vCash: 500
De Ja Vu

It is rather amusing and entertaining to read the last page of this thread. It's all the same discussion as last year when the league was working on their realignment.

There is not one thing here that's new. And, we saw what the league came up with.

Basically, there are real issues that are problems for any 'great idea' any of us will have.
So, what the league will do is decide on whatever creates the least problems for the 30 clubs. Even if it doesn't make sense to any of us.

All we do here is guess. And, we are not guessing at 'what makes most sense'. We are guessing at "Which way is the league going to compromise to keep the most people happy."

Any way, carry on...

MNNumbers is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 09:29 AM
  #162
NJDevils7
Registered User
 
NJDevils7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
All proposals must keep the Penguins and Flyers in the same division as the Rangers. There's no way they're taking the Penguins away from New York, which means they're not taking the Flyers away from the Penguins. The Rangers-Penguins-Flyers triangle is the league's collective meal ticket television-wise
AND, I dont see any way that they could separate the Devils or Islanders from the Rangers. (with the rivalries and being so close). So i think the Atlantic division will stay together.

NJDevils7 is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 09:37 AM
  #163
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go
 
LadyStanley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 55,474
vCash: 500
This thread has diverged from the OP into a generic re-alignment one.

Closed.

LadyStanley is offline  
Old
01-09-2013, 09:41 AM
  #164
KingsFan7824
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3,880
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
So Carolina would be grouped with the Leafs, Bruins etc rather than TB and Florida?

Not sure how thats any different than grouping TB and FLA with those teams. At least the argument with the TB FLA grouping was that many Canadian snowbirds would fill thsoe rinks for LEafs, habs and Sens games. Not too sure there are many CDN snowbirds in Carolina
Not much difference. At least Carolina was in a division with Boston, Buffalo, Ottawa, and Montreal for a year. They used to be the Whalers. At least there's some connection.

Could make it all easy and move Pittsburgh, but of course that's maybe the major road block in any realignment.

Plus I'm guessing Tampa and Florida were put with the NE division mostly because none of the important teams in the East wanted to be in a group with 8 teams. There's no way to have less than 8 teams if you're putting the old Patrick division back together if you have to include Tampa and Florida, so the NE got stuck with them.

KingsFan7824 is online now  
Old
01-09-2013, 09:41 AM
  #165
cheswick
Non-registered User
 
cheswick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Peg City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,943
vCash: 574
my ideal solution would be. Keep NY metro based teams, Pitts and Philly together. No division (or mini-conference) have only one CDN (or only one US) based team. No division/mini-conferance have teams that differ more than one time zone.

NHL's solution had all but the the CDN component in it.

cheswick is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.