HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Paul Martin Trade or Buyout? (if there's a season)

Old
01-07-2013, 11:32 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottubber View Post
I forget which source or even if it was Shero that said it, but I believe Murray from Ottawa wanted Z. He wanted to trade back salary which Shero said he did not want to take on. Thats probably why he got the deal he did, which i see nothing wrong with. It would have been interesting to find out who Ottawa wanted to give back. If it was Gonchar, then Im glad we didnt make the trade
Yeah, good point. I remember hearing those reports from the Ottawa side of things.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:40 AM
Pigs On The Wing

I'm convinced Michalek demanded a trade back to Phoenix. With all the teams in the league that need defense, you can't convince me that a 3rd rounder was the best we could get for him. Even as a cap dump.

As for Ottawa, they probably wanted to give us Foligno since they ended up trading him for Marc Methot.

Pigs On The Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:40 AM
JTG

Geno Machino is my new favorite poster

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Geno Machino
Rookie User

Quote:
You probably shouldnt post that you have being saying things for awhile when you havent been telling peolpe on here that then. Just an idea!
Gee thanks
I thought people were smart enough to understand their is a whole wide world outside of a MB, Silly me

Geno Machino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:46 AM
limite*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Guys have to provide a list of teams they won't go to...I have heard Martin has 8. IMO, if I were a guy making my "no trade" list, Edmonton would not be on there any longer, at least it shouldn't be. That team is going to be really good sooner rather than later, and as a defenseman, he'd get quality mins and as many as he could handle.

"He won't waive his NTC to go to Edmonton" is no longer a cut and dry response. I could conjure up 8-12 teams I'd rather not go to before Edmonton.
Have you actually ever been to Edmonton? I have. I wouldn't blame any player for wanting to avoid it.

limite* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:49 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Definition View Post
I'm convinced Michalek demanded a trade back to Phoenix. With all the teams in the league that need defense, you can't convince me that a 3rd rounder was the best we could get for him. Even as a cap dump.

As for Ottawa, they probably wanted to give us Foligno since they ended up trading him for Marc Methot.
Yeah, I also got the impression Michalek wanted out. There were reports well before the trade that he was open to being moved so he was obviously floating some things out there about wanting to leave. I think Shero did him a solid by trading him where he wanted to go.

I do think the Pens value Ruopp more than most though. They had a 2nd round grade on him the year before, also picked up a 3rd and dumped all of the contract without taking any salary back. Michalek was also coming off a down season, an injury and a surgery which may have scared a few teams away too.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:54 AM
Geno Machino
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by limite View Post
Have you actually ever been to Edmonton? I have. I wouldn't blame any player for wanting to avoid it.

Exactly!! it's a shame what it is like there, But Pittsburgh is the same for baseball Players, because of how bad Management has been & is

Old
01-07-2013, 11:54 AM
JTG

Quote:
If I was winning hockey games, I'd put up with the city. Edmonton is on track to win a ton of hockey games. I'd also love to play in front of a rabid hockey market. Edmonton has that in spades.

If you want to talk about how much a player spends in the city they play, I'd say it's minimal. During the year, they are playing, practicing, or on the road, and when the season ends, they go back to their summer homes.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:55 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Yet Justin Schultz picked them over many other suitors. The point is, it's not a guarantee that every FA or player with a NTC sees Edmonton as a last resort. The hockey situation is still the main thing for these guys. The team they are building there is a very attractive option for some.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno Machino View Post
Exactly!! it's a shame what it is like there, But Pittsburgh is the same for baseball Players, because of how bad Management has been & is
This makes absolutely no sense. You are agreeing with him that Edmonton is undesirable because the city, area, weather sucks. You then say Pittsburgh is the same for baseball players for an entirely different reason. Logic failed.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:58 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Yeah, I think hockey players are wired differently. NBA guys seem to all gravitate to the big cities or warm weather cities. Hockey players seem less interested in location and more interested in the kind of team they're going to. The wives are the ones that seem to get pissed about bad location. I think that's what happened when Pronger demanded out of Edmonton.

Old
01-07-2013, 11:59 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
If I was winning hockey games, I'd put up with the city. Edmonton is on track to win a ton of hockey games. I'd also love to play in front of a rabid hockey market. Edmonton has that in spades.

If you want to talk about how much a player spends in the city they play, I'd say it's minimal. During the year, they are playing, practicing, or on the road, and when the season ends, they go back to their summer homes.
Yep. The only time it becomes a serious issue is for players with wives and children. You are much more planted into a city you or may not like if your wife has a job/life and your kids go to school there.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:01 PM
Geno Machino
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
This makes absolutely no sense. You are agreeing with him that Edmonton is undesirable because the city, area, weather sucks. You then say Pittsburgh is the same for baseball players for an entirely different reason. Logic failed.

UMM nope ! the Succos can't get anyone to sign here that has any other options ! Can't think of the Pitchers name but the Succos offered him a 2 year deal & he turned it down to sign a 1 year deal with Nationals & Roy Oswalt's agent told Opie when he inquired about Oswalt "Don't Waste your time" Oswalt didn't want to play for Succos

It has been location, Weather & Bad teams that have hampered Oilers ability to sign guys, Jagr turned them down & he is all about money

Old
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Yeah, I think hockey players are wired differently. NBA guys seem to all gravitate to the big cities or warm weather cities. Hockey players seem less interested in location and more interested in the kind of team they're going to. The wives are the ones that seem to get pissed about bad location. I think that's what happened when Pronger demanded out of Edmonton.
It's because a fair amount of hockey players grow up in the middle of a ****ing ice covered farm in the middle of Canada. It's not like it's some sort of culture shock to them.

Old
Hottubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Actually, Prongers wifey was mad cause he was sticking too many local women lol

Hottubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:02 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:

Old
01-07-2013, 12:02 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
UMM nope ! the Succos can't get anyone to sign here that has any other options ! Can't think of the Pitchers name but the Succos offered him a 2 year deal & he turned it down to sign a 1 year deal with Nationals & Roy Oswalt's agent told Opie when he inquired about Oswalt "Don't Waste your time" Oswalt didn't want to play for Succos

It has been location, Weather & Bad teams that have hampered Oilers ability to sign guys, Jagr turned them down & he is all about money
Good story.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:03 PM
JTG

Quote:

With a very strong emphasis being on the bolded part...if not all the emphasis.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:04 PM
JTG

Quote:

So you're telling me tail is plentiful in Edmonton?

Old
01-07-2013, 12:06 PM
Hottubber

Quote:

So you're telling me tail is plentiful in Edmonton?
I dont know about that, not from there, but a girl i know who moved there got tagged by him and she is NASTY! although so is he.

Old
01-07-2013, 12:06 PM
Geno Machino
Rookie User

Quote:
With a very strong emphasis being on the bolded part...if not all the emphasis.
yep explain Jagr who is all about money & turned Oilers down twice

Old
01-07-2013, 12:09 PM
JTG

Quote:
The Oilers sucked...thought we covered that

Old
01-07-2013, 12:09 PM
Hottubber

Quote:
nothing Jagr has done in the past makes sense tho so that not really a good example

Old
01-07-2013, 12:45 PM
Geno Machino
Rookie User

Quote:
The Oilers sucked...thought we covered that
Boy you are too smart for me, Jagr all about money, the reason he didn't take the money????????????? Oilers sucked.

I think we ought to agree to disagree on this

Last edited by Geno Machino: 01-07-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Old
01-07-2013, 01:26 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Boy you are too smart for me, Jagr all about money, the reason he didn't take the money????????????? Oilers sucked.

I think we ought to agree to disagree on this
That seems to be the best course of action.