HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Best airlines in the US

Old
01-07-2013, 12:33 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 152
Best airlines in the US

I'll be flying from Vermont or Plattsburgh to the LA area in May, and have seen similar pricing on a few different airlines. I was wondering what stories people had about each airline... if there was anything to avoid, anything to look into, etc.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:39 AM
Krishna

vCash: 500
I'd avoid Jet Blue.

We used them when we were flying back home from Florida. Our bag was seriously 1 ounce over their weight limit and they wouldn't let us remove any items from it to get it under the weight. We had to pay 60 dollars for the bag.

Not to mention that the first time I ever flew with them our plane was delayed because it wouldn't start up.

That happened in 2005 or 2006. Same thing happened on our flight from Philadelphia to Fort Lauderdale in october.

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:19 AM
Taro Tsujimoto
Jack-ed up!

It's definitely worth noting that Southwest doesn't charge for the first two bags.

If you're coming from Vermont/Plattsburgh, I believe the closest city they fly to is Albany.

Taro Tsujimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:40 AM
RayP

vCash: 50
Flew United for the first time in 10 years last weekend. Decent chance that plane was around during WW2. Also paid to have our seats upgraded... And there was literally zero difference from our seat to any other seat on the plane. We were suppose to get a light meal as well, didn't event get peanuts or even a drink offered to us for that matter.

Normally fly Delta, who has a bad rap around here usually, but would have paid much more to fly them instead a few days ago had I known that was going to be our experience.

RayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 01:44 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

Of the big four the only one that I don't despise is Delta, who I've flown with a ton and never had a problem with. American and United are just ****ing worthless. I've had better service with Ryanair than those two. As a Pittsburgher I hold a grudge against US Airways and won't fly with them.

I swear by Alaskan/Horizon when possible, but I've never flown any of the big low-cost carriers (Southwest, Jet Blue, AirTran). Virgin America is also extremely good, but their destination list is pretty limited.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 01-07-2013 at 01:57 AM.
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 03:36 AM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

Last time I flew was on US Air...I had to sit near the back and all I could smell was sewage....it was awful.

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 04:25 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
Of the big four the only one that I don't despise is Delta, who I've flown with a ton and never had a problem with. American and United are just ****ing worthless. I've had better service with Ryanair than those two. As a Pittsburgher I hold a grudge against US Airways and won't fly with them.

I swear by Alaskan/Horizon when possible, but I've never flown any of the big low-cost carriers (Southwest, Jet Blue, AirTran). Virgin America is also extremely good, but their destination list is pretty limited.
most people here wont know what ryanair or easyjet or airlingus is--although they may think airlingus is an Irish sex position

Welcome to Edmonton Connor McDavid--the rest of you HA HA HA HA HA HA
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:09 AM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

People bash on United all the time but I had no problem

TV in flight but had to pay up

Didn't pay

Mike Emrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:37 AM
ThaDevilGirl

Small sample but I've flown US Airways twice and I had no problems.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 05:51 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Are the prices that bad with Air Canada from Montreal? Just wondering as the actual planes and services on Air Canada are not bad at all. Also I think west jet flies to LA now but I might be wrong and it might only be vegas.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:04 AM
Swedish Puck Mafia
Break The HeMan Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
As a Pittsburgher I hold a grudge against US Airways and won't fly with them.
Why?

Because they moved their hub from Pittsburgh to Charlotte?

Swedish Puck Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:14 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Used to fly often, mostly United. Reliable aircraft, maintenance and pilots. Im suspect about low cost carriers. Probably good pilots and maintenance but who knows.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:18 AM
buddahsmoka1

It makes no difference whatsoever.

buddahsmoka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:33 AM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
Bitter Buffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedish Puck Mafia View Post
Why?

Because they moved their hub from Pittsburgh to Charlotte?
They basically blackmailed the city/state to build a brand-spankin' new airport built for them, one that was winning just about every award in the industry, and then promptly left Pittsburgh.

That'd be like the Penguins moving to Charlotte in a couple years because the state wasn't willing to pay the team to play in an arena they built for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
most people here wont know what ryanair or easyjet or airlingus is--although they may think airlingus is an Irish sex position
For those that don't know Ryanair is a no-frills, cheap-as-they-come airline in Europe. There's ads everywhere, everything costs extra, there's basically no customer service, etc...but you can fly just about anywhere for dirt cheap. I had one flight that actually cost me one cent (Aarhus to Alicante).

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 01-07-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 11:52 AM
The Big Giant Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
I'd avoid Jet Blue.

We used them when we were flying back home from Florida. Our bag was seriously 1 ounce over their weight limit and they wouldn't let us remove any items from it to get it under the weight. We had to pay 60 dollars for the bag.

Not to mention that the first time I ever flew with them our plane was delayed because it wouldn't start up.

That happened in 2005 or 2006. Same thing happened on our flight from Philadelphia to Fort Lauderdale in october.
i actually came in here to suggest Jet Blue. All their planes are fairly new, you get free Directv in flight and they have free WiFi available to boot. Their seats are roomier than any other airline ive flown, they are #1 on my list of airlines thats for sure.

Southwest is surely worst. I felt like the ****ing plane was going to fall apart midflight last year on my trip to and from chicago.

The Big Giant Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:24 PM
Buck Aki Berg
My pockets hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
Are the prices that bad with Air Canada from Montreal? Just wondering as the actual planes and services on Air Canada are not bad at all. Also I think west jet flies to LA now but I might be wrong and it might only be vegas.
Differences in taxes will make a huge difference. There're actually a lot of Montrealers who will fly out of Burlington (and to a lesser extent Plattsburgh) because the taxes offset the cost/time of driving there and parking.

As a sample, I jumped on travelocity and searched flights to LAX from Montreal and Burlington. From Montreal, it was $568 (American Airlines, change planes twice, 13 hours total), and from Burlington it was $486 (United Airlines, change planes once, 9 hours total).

Last edited by Buck Aki Berg: 01-07-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:34 PM
buddahsmoka1

I actually prefer flying from New York, you will get even cheaper flights than from Burlington depending on where you are going.

I got return flights from New York to Bogota for $400 and to Mexico City for $500. You can't beat that.

buddahsmoka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 12:55 PM
Offdapost*
Tetrodotoxin!

Virgin America is a great airline, personal television mood lighting throughout the cabin, decent food for purchase friendly flight attendants

Offdapost* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:29 PM
Bocephus86

I fly 20 - 30 times a year for work.

Ive had only good experiences with Jet Blue. I fly American the most and its normally fine although I have had the most delay/cancellation issues with them (as a side note that probably had more to do with the weather/locations then the airline but I can't say it hasn't soured me on the airline). I hate United, last three planes I was on still had ash trays to give you an idea on how old the planes were. Cross country trip and they don't even have the crappy TVs in the roof to put something on, a book can only last me ~4 hours before I want a break. I don't really fly delta so no opinion (flown them twice). US airways is good but I fly out of Logan and it is a hub so I'm probably biased (although I hate their terminal as it has the slowest security at the airport).

Bocephus86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 02:30 PM
Kevin Malone

I fly Delta a lot for business and have never had an issue. My only complaint is that their fleet is aging.

In terms of the US I would say that Spirit and Continental are by far the worst. Spirit is budget so you get what you pay for, they are the Walmart of airlines. Continental is just down right incompetent. I don't think I have ever dealt with such dense customer service in my life.

In terms of Canada I would stick to WestJet and Porter and avoid Air Canada at all costs. Air Canada is perpetually in a state of bankruptcy and reorganization as such the experience of flying with them is similar to going to the dentist to have teeth removed without being given any freezing.

By far the best airline I have ever flown is Luftansa and will I gladly pay a few extra bucks to fly with them. If you ever come across Malev(Hungarian) please run. They make Air Canada seem like first class.

Kevin Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2013, 07:00 PM
Vip
Rieder Support Team

I always fly Southwest. They are cheap. No problems whatsoever either.

Vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 12:22 AM
MSPGabe
Born & Bred In Maine

Worked for United Express. Company's gone way downhill since the Continental merger.

I now work for Delta, and love the direction the company's headed.

MSPGabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:05 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Giant Head View Post
i actually came in here to suggest Jet Blue. All their planes are fairly new, you get free Directv in flight and they have free WiFi available to boot. Their seats are roomier than any other airline ive flown, they are #1 on my list of airlines thats for sure.

Southwest is surely worst. I felt like the ****ing plane was going to fall apart midflight last year on my trip to and from chicago.
I've always had a great time with Jet Blue, but it seems to be a little more expensive this time around than the other times I've used it

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:15 AM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipassana View Post
I always fly Southwest. They are cheap. No problems whatsoever either.
Same

Gootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-08-2013, 01:21 AM
Kitten Mittons

Virgin, baby.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote