HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Highest Potential: RNH vs Tavares vs Landeskog vs Hall

View Poll Results: Who has the highest potential
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 83 18.99%
John Tavares 323 73.91%
Gabriel Landeskog 19 4.35%
Taylor Hall 12 2.75%
Voters: 437. You may not vote on this poll

Old
02-23-2013, 09:08 PM
Art of Sedinery

vCash: 400
I don't think Landeskog will ever be one of the top 5 or 10 players in the league. One of the best all-round players, character guys, ect., but never one of the "best" players in the game.

Hall has the skills to possible be there on day, but I don't see him ever fulfilling where his skills could get him.

Tavares with an edge on RNH.

Art of Sedinery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 10:21 PM
SephF
5-14-6-1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
LOL... some Oilers fans voted RNH instead of Tavares.
Wasn't just Oilers fans, I clicked on poll results and the first posters name I clicked on that voted RNH was a Canadiens fan, just sayin'.

I voted Tavares because well... it's pretty obvious.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:23 PM
JoemAvs

Ugh I just voted Landeskog because I wanted to go ultra homer .
But how is Tavares even included in this poll? He is heads and shoulders above Hall, Nuge or Lando.

I should really take the time and read.
Now I feel bad....

JoemAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 11:27 PM
ResilientBeast
5-14-6-1

vCash: 300
Tavares >> RNH > Hall > Landeskog.

ResilientBeast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:03 AM
Gritzky98
Lottery Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art of Sedinery View Post
I don't think Landeskog will ever be one of the top 5 or 10 players in the league. One of the best all-round players, character guys, ect., but never one of the "best" players in the game.

Hall has the skills to possible be there on day, but I don't see him ever fulfilling where his skills could get him.

Tavares with an edge on RNH.
Well said, agree with everything here.

Gritzky98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:55 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Tavares

RNH
Landeskog
Hall

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 12:59 AM
Skip2myBordyloo
Maybe next year

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
because RNH got injured

Getting injured for 20 games significantly impacts your Calder chances but had a negligible effect on your long-term potential
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian28 View Post
Missing 20 games in the saeson may have something to do with it. Even though he missed nearly 1/4 of the saeson he was STILL in conetntion for the calder...just saying.
im not saying it didnt effect the result but it did, but i watched the games last year sure hopkins showed offensive potential but landeskog was scoring gwg's and gtg's and was clutch for us last year the difference between them last year was not enough to say RNH is clearly better, Rnh was better in one area of the game, landeskog did everything, hopkins put up points.

just for the record i think rnh will be much much better than landeskog in a few years time.

Skip2myBordyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:21 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconator View Post
Depends what you mean by "potential". Because the way this thread is turning out, it's a points only contest. Landeskog and Hall will almost certainly never get as many points as Tavares and RNH, they play a vastly different game. Even Tavares and RNH are different in that RNH is much more skilled than JT, but Tavares work ethic is so great.

Also, I'd say John Tavares has already reached his potential. He was 7th in league scoring last year, that's pretty damn good if you ask me! It might take Ryan Nuggent Hopkins two more years, but he'll be a top ten scorer as well. He's just way to skilled not to be. If he can stay healthy.

If you're strictly looking at points, this would be my best guess. Keep in mind, they're all great young players!!!

Ryan Nuggent Hopkins
John Tavares
Taylor Hall
Gabriel Landeskog
RNH is not "much more skilled". JT is just far more workmanlike so it makes you think that.

And JT hasnt yet, JT far and away has the highest ceiling. JT has the potential to be a top 3-5 player in the league. I don't get the same feeling for anyone else in question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Tavares is a top ten player in the game right now and only getting better. I'll take the proven franchise player.
Bingo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky04 View Post
Please, Crosby, Malkin and Ovechkin have 100 point potential with any 3rd line scrub, Tavares doesn't, that's their clear separation. If you want to argue that he needs elite linemates to produce elite numbers, we'll put him on the same potential category as Heatley.

"Just because you have the potential to hit 100 points does not mean you will", umm exactly? Tavares isn't a 100 point guy yet either btw.. and who knows if he'll hit it, so he's in that same boat.
Moulson and Parenteau were AHL players before playing with JT. Nice try though.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:32 AM
Islander Prophet

Tavares

and its not even remotely close

Islander Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:33 AM
Joey Moss
5 14 6 1

vCash: 815
Tavares
Hall/RNH
Landeskog

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 01:35 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
Exactly. People who don't watch JT on a daily basis just won't get it, his game is much more than his point totals and you can just see the insane amount of potential in him. On top of that, he is extremely determined to get better and better every year and he is doing just that. The guy is going to be a beast, I think he'll eventually edge out Stamkos as the 3rd best forward in the league.
Absolutely.

And you don't have to watch long to see his Dominance, you could watch one or two games and see his sheer smarts, skill, physical skill, and dominating/game breaking ability.

I'm so jealous the you have him.

Old
02-24-2013, 01:36 AM
Spawn

Tavares
Hall
RNH
Landeskog

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:01 AM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
RNH is not "much more skilled". JT is just far more workmanlike so it makes you think that.

And JT hasnt yet, JT far and away has the highest ceiling. JT has the potential to be a top 3-5 player in the league. I don't get the same feeling for anyone else in question.

Bingo.

Moulson and Parenteau were AHL players before playing with JT. Nice try though.
To be fair PAP has proven that he's a quality NHLer with or without JT. Granted Matt Duchene is a pretty special center for him to work with to, but he did it last year when separated from JT, and is doing it again with a different C. So it's not like he's a scrub.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 02:05 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
To be fair PAP has proven that he's a quality NHLer with or without JT. Granted Matt Duchene is a pretty special center for him to work with to, but he did it last year when separated from JT, and is doing it again with a different C. So it's not like he's a scrub.
Duchene is on quite a roll though. With an average center I think he wouldn't be quite as good off. Though I do think he is a top 9 forward on every team though.

They have both become better because of JT, his point was that they players he mentioned started out with "3rd line scrubs" where as the truth goes against his opinion because JT was put with AHLers and made them productive NHLers.

Old
02-24-2013, 02:13 AM
cgf

But did he really make them if they prove themselves quality NHL top6ers without him, or did they just only get their shot to prove themselves when they got put with JT? Duchene's been phenomenal so far this season, although he does seem to be wearing down a little the past two games, but PAP's been excellent in his own right, his offensive positioning, his passing, puck poise and intelligence would look great next to any capable top 2 C, as evidence by the time he spent separate from JT with the Isles, so I don't think saying that JT made them is accurate.

None of which to say JT isn't a fantastic talent who's established himself as a top 10 C in the NHL while still growing, and easily the winner of this poll, even over Landesgod, but I just don't think you need to throw capable players like Parenteau and Molson under the bus to make that case.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:54 AM
GMofOilers

JT, RNH then Hall, then Landeskog a little ways down in the list.

GMofOilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 10:58 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

Tavares...not really close at all.

Tavares

Hall
Landeskog
RNH

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote