HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Attendance

Old
12-29-2012, 01:48 PM
NHLsnipers

vCash: 500
Attendance

Anyone know whats up with the attendance for the World Juniors? Every game outside of Russia playing looks pathetic in the stands.

Is it because they actually have real hockey going on in a pro league over there now?

Every time it is held in Canada, every game seems sold out no matter who is playing.

I went to the games in Buffalo, NY in 2009 and every game was pretty packed outside of Latvia/Germany type games.

NHLsnipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 02:04 PM
premadonna

vCash: 520
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1311897

premadonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 03:42 PM
Everlasting

vCash: 807
Junior hockey isnt more popular than this outside Canada. Its popularity is steadily rising but this is how it is. It wont be that much diffrent next year either. Atleast in the group stages.

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 05:08 PM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
Junior hockey isnt more popular than this outside Canada. Its popularity is steadily rising but this is how it is. It wont be that much diffrent next year either. Atleast in the group stages.
Indeed. I would say that the interest in Sweden has gone from like zero to rather much (say to 20% of the interest in Canada) the last 5 years.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 05:15 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveeviL View Post
Indeed. I would say that the interest in Sweden has gone from like zero to rather much (say to 20% of the interest in Canada) the last 5 years.
IIRC, sweden started to really like the world juniors during the 07-08 run (players born 1988)

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 05:17 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

I have actually thought the games were pretty well attended on the whole. There have been years when teams were only playing in front of janitors and seven or eight relatives.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 06:21 PM
bp spec

vCash: 50
This is why I think that the WJC should be held in Canada every year.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 06:32 PM
jcbio11

Junior hockey is huge in Canada, but not anywhere else (although I hear it's getting more popular in Sweden from some of the posters).

That's why it's in Canada or somewhere where canadians can drive (Buffalo) almost every other year. IIHF is pretty smart when it comes to placing tournaments.

jcbio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:19 PM
God Bless Canada

Part of the difference in Canada is the sale of tournament ticket packages. You buy the ticket package, you get Slovakia/Latvia, Switzerland/Germany and other games, so you might as well go watch the game, and take advantage of your investment. Don't know tournament packages are sold in other countries, or if they're sold to the same degree as they are in North America.

If it was just single game tickets, you'd probably have only a few hundred fans at Switzerland/Germany.

I like the idea of having the tournament in Canada every three years; no complaints with it being here every two years. (Which appears to be the direction after 2015). It makes sense in a lot of ways for the IIHF. You make money hand over fist, and you know that every team in the tournament is going to play in front of a large crowd, regardless of whether it's a medal round game, a pivotal round robin game, or a relegation game featuring 35 players that nobody has heard of.

I wouldn't have it in Canada every year. It's an international event, not a Hockey Canada event. If you're yearning for an event that's in Canada each year, find out where the WU17 or the World Junior A Challenge are taking place.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 09:56 PM
kaiser matias

Also consider that until now, it has been a regular work schedule in Russia. They don't do Christmas until January 7, so the past few days have not been holidays like they are in North America. Now that its New Years/Orthodox Christmas, there may be more people attending.

kaiser matias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 10:01 PM
Dynamo81

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLsnipers View Post
Anyone know whats up with the attendance for the World Juniors? Every game outside of Russia playing looks pathetic in the stands.

Is it because they actually have real hockey going on in a pro league over there now?

Every time it is held in Canada, every game seems sold out no matter who is playing.

I went to the games in Buffalo, NY in 2009 and every game was pretty packed outside of Latvia/Germany type games.
The average attendance has been 3k which is not bad giving that the tournament has little interest outside of Canada. The matches in the smaller arena (4k) have done better than expected, averaging more than the matches in the smaller arena at Buffalo.

Dynamo81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 10:01 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLsnipers View Post

Apparently, according the geniuses at the IIHF, the best way to promote the tournmanet is to suck the life out of it. At least they could have it in worthwhile destinations. More games in Prague, less in remote villages.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 10:03 PM
Xokkeu

Moscow would be less likely to support the tournament. It'd be like hosting it in New York. Nobody would go. Ufa is like hosting it in Edmonton.

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 10:08 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by God Bless Canada View Post
I wouldn't have it in Canada every year. It's an international event, not a Hockey Canada event. If you're yearning for an event that's in Canada each year, find out where the WU17 or the World Junior A Challenge are taking place.
There is no reason why an international event cannot be held in Canada every year. It's not the location of the host that makes it international, it's the competition. But sure, throw it in Europe occasionally in a locale worth travelling to.

I suggest Portugal, Spain or the South of France, nice destinations for hockey fans in the dead of winter.

Quote:
If it was just single game tickets, you'd probably have only a few hundred fans at Switzerland/Germany.
Actually, I think there is a point of civic pride to show up and make the games worthwhile playing. It was fun cheering for Norway in 206 against the Swiss. You can't seriously think 11000 people show up because they have tix but don't care. Even if that was true, the fact is we are willing to support the games by purchasing tix. (tix which in most cases cost more than pro leagues in Europe.)

Old
12-29-2012, 10:10 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
There is no reason why an international event cannot be held in Canada every year. It's not the location of the host that makes it international, it's the competition. But sure, throw it in Europe occasionally in a locale worth travelling to.

I suggest Portugal, Spain or the South of France, nice destinations for hockey fans in the dead of winter.
It's not the Canada Cup

Xokkeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-29-2012, 10:12 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
Moscow would be less likely to support the tournament. It'd be like hosting it in New York. Nobody would go. Ufa is like hosting it in Edmonton.
I'd bet a city of 10M could not care less about the WJC and still get more fans to show up. They'd be more likely to draw in tourist fans as well.

Old
12-29-2012, 10:13 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
It's not the Canada Cup
What was the question?

Old
12-29-2012, 11:53 PM
Dynamo81

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
I'd bet a city of 10M could not care less about the WJC and still get more fans to show up. They'd be more likely to draw in tourist fans as well.
You are wrong, this is coming from someone who has been working in Moscow for six years

Sure more tourists would come to Moscow but in terms of interest you can look at the Averages for the 2001 WJC where the majority of games were in Moscow.

Old
12-30-2012, 12:05 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Part of the difference in Canada is the sale of tournament ticket packages. You buy the ticket package, you get Slovakia/Latvia, Switzerland/Germany and other games, so you might as well go watch the game, and take advantage of your investment. Don't know tournament packages are sold in other countries, or if they're sold to the same degree as they are in North America.

This was probably true 10 or 15 years ago, but I think even those types of games would sell in the thousands now. Obviously the cost of the tickets would be less, and I think there is a market for that level of fan (someone who can't spend hundreds of dollars on tickets).

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 12:11 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
The thing for the WC was the games in Finland were obscenely overpriced, there was no demand and they didn't lower the prices.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 12:59 AM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
The thing for the WC was the games in Finland were obscenely overpriced, there was no demand and they didn't lower the prices.
What were the prices like? I know last year in Canada the prices were also, at least in my opinion, really high.

Ryker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 02:10 AM
Dynamo81

I think the Finland Vs Switzerland match is sold out? Only caught the final seconds of the period.

Old
12-30-2012, 02:12 AM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo81 View Post
I think the Finland Vs Switzerland match is sold out? Only caught the final seconds of the period.
Was about to say this, it does look like a good attendance

vsk92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 02:46 AM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynamo81 View Post
You are wrong, this is coming from someone who has been working in Moscow for six years

Sure more tourists would come to Moscow but in terms of interest you can look at the Averages for the 2001 WJC where the majority of games were in Moscow.
haha ye, Moscow has to be among the most spoiled cities on planet earth. Unless Malkin Messi or Ronaldo are playing, people won't come

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 03:09 AM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser matias View Post
Also consider that until now, it has been a regular work schedule in Russia. They don't do Christmas until January 7, so the past few days have not been holidays like they are in North America. Now that its New Years/Orthodox Christmas, there may be more people attending.
isn't Ufa mostly Islamic?

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote