HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Group B • Dec. 30 • Canada 2, United States 1

View Poll Results: Who wins?
Canada in regulation 163 60.59%
Canada in OT/shootout 31 11.52%
U.S. in regulation 64 23.79%
U.S. in OT/shootout 11 4.09%
Voters: 269. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2012, 04:22 PM
tv14

vCash: 50
Hopefully Subban can step up his game with better competition and rivalry. If not, Canada could be in trouble.

Thinking Canada pulls this one out and sets up two big match-ups. Russia/Canada for 1st and Slovakia/USA for 3rd.

Old
12-29-2012, 04:24 PM
Nash

vCash: 500
I haven't liked what I've seen from USA's top line so far. It looks like 3 players whose styles do not mesh whatsoever. Grimaldi was flying out there last game, but didn't do much with it. It doesn't help that he and Miller have switched off from their natural positions. Miller really has no place being the top line center. In this tournament, he would be much better suited playing with less finesse type players. He is probably the biggest disappointment up front for USA thus far. I will give Gaudreau a pass since the other two seem to want to play their own games and don't really involve him. Lucia-Trochek-Biggs was invisible yesterday as well. Biggs, in particular, has done nothing in the four games I've seen him play. Using his physicality against a North American opponent should benefit his game. I would reshuffle these lines if I were Housely. Lucia-Trochek-Gaudreau would provide a more finesse offensive unit. Miller-Grimaldi-Biggs would provide a pesty physical line. If USA stays with the current line up, it will be too easy for Canada to focus checking the one scoring line that has actually played well together. The fourth line has been great for USA too.

The biggest thing working for Canada right now is it looks like the top two scoring lines have already found some great chemistry. Granted, they have not faced an opponent like Russia or USA, but those two warm up round robin games have allowed them to gel. Obviously the bottom 2 lines have been a rotating door with the suspensions, but they should be up to the task. The third line in practice was Danault-MacNiell-Rattie. MacKinnon and Camarra will have someone shift in to center them. Mark Masters mentioned Scheifele on Twitter, but I'm guessing it may be a rotation. I think the top 3 lines will see heavy minutes anyway. The question mark for me is how Canada's defense will hold up to the speedy Americans. Some of them need to be quicker on their decision making and move the puck quicker. Canada has a few too many guys back there that like to hold onto it. Murphy is the worst at this, but Hamilton and Rielly have been guilty of turnovers too. Those 3 and Wotherspoon will need to be sharper than they have been. I won't cast blame on Subban as most of the goals against thus far have been turnovers and powerplays. I just want him to let in one less than Gibson. I don't expect perfection like some posters here. He has played very well as games have gone on, as has the team as a whole. That should tell you that the early goals are indicative of team play rather than placing blame on Malcolm.

USA is a fast team and I thought they imposed their game plan against Russia yesterday. They didn't allow Russia to play the possession game they are famous for. Russia has been disjointed thus far in the tournament, so that was a factor as well. USA will want to run and gun and counter attack with speed. Canada will need to be crisp and decisive on their passing to neutralize the US speed advantage. Canada can't afford to turnover the puck the way they have in games so far. If the US decides to trade chances though, they are putting a lot of pressure on their D because their offense should not be able to produce as well as Canada's.

This should be a great game. I'm looking forward to playing an opponent that can take a hit and won't dive or act hurt. The officials won't change though, so I fully expect some weak calls both ways. As long as it is called both ways, that shouldn't be a problem.

Old
12-29-2012, 04:25 PM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Canada is going to get pumped, and Subban will be exposed for the mediocre goalie he is.

Old
12-29-2012, 04:27 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
Canada Guy to USA guy....we have no goal-tending...thats part of hockey....goal tending being equal i think Canada wins...Goal tending NOT being equal as is now the case the USA wins big...

Remember we are missing 2 guys....might be a good thing..depends how Slow Spott handles the lines....
I feel for Subban. Being the Canada Goalie in a World Juniors is way too much pressure for any 19 year old to handle. I'm sure he's faced 10,000 questions about the past couple Canadian Goalies failing and blah blah blah. It's hard not to get in your head when it's constantly being placed there by the sports media. He needs to just go out there and play like Gibson and the other guys are able to do. He's definitely more than capable.

Old
12-29-2012, 04:29 PM
JTPoni23
Swiss For 2 Weeks...

Garrett Sparks tweeted "Get to participate in the greatest rivalry in all of hockey (in my personal opinion) tomorrow. The boys will be up for this one"

Does that mean he's playing? Anybody know?

Old
12-29-2012, 04:29 PM
MISC*
Negged.

'Muricha is to fast.

Subban is suspect

4-2 Yanks.

Old
12-29-2012, 04:32 PM
MyNameIsNobody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
I feel for Subban. Being the Canada Goalie in a World Juniors is way too much pressure for any 19 year old to handle. I'm sure he's faced 10,000 questions about the past couple Canadian Goalies failing and blah blah blah. It's hard not to get in your head when it's constantly being placed there by the sports media. He needs to just go out there and play like Gibson and the other guys are able to do. He's definitely more than capable.
We let in 6 goals against Germany and Slovaks... half were weak weak weak goals...there should have been a rotation...now we are screwed if Subban goes in complete meltdown ....

Old
12-29-2012, 04:33 PM
lggy

Is Sieloff for sure not in this one?

Old
12-29-2012, 04:36 PM
luongo321

So pumped! Go Canada Go!

RNH BEAST MODE ACTIVATED

Hopefully Subban doesn't get ventilated. If he does, Spott will probably go back to him in the next game.

No matter how much of a skill difference there is between usa/canada, these games are always competitive and fun to watch.

Old
12-29-2012, 04:43 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I was disappointed by what I saw of the US against the Russians. Russia completly dominated them in the second half of the game. Canada on the other hand I thought were going to be far weaker than they are, from what i've seen I think they are a formidable machine and they have talent on four lines. And you have guys like Nathan MacKennon who have not shown all they can do yet. I wish it would be tighter but I see Canada easily taking this.

Old
12-29-2012, 04:45 PM
Howboutthempanthers
No Bandwagon Allowed

It will be close, but Canada's firepower will give them that extra goal in the end.

Old
12-29-2012, 04:45 PM
Nocashstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck2010 View Post
Serious question and serious statement lol. What's wrong with it?
The poster said he's rooting for Galchenyuk because he's more of a Habs fan than a Canada fan. You asked what the Habs have to do with anything.

The answer is: Galchenyuk is a Habs prospect.

Old
12-29-2012, 04:46 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPoni23 View Post
Garrett Sparks tweeted "Get to participate in the greatest rivalry in all of hockey (in my personal opinion) tomorrow. The boys will be up for this one"

Probably the bench

Old
12-29-2012, 04:46 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
If Team USA plays like they did yesterday they will be fine. Makarov was outstanding but I had no fault with how they played as a team, the legs just seemed to fall off a little on a back to back which was to be expected. They will get there fair share of chances with how Canada's d-pairings have looked. I hope they play Murphy as much as they have to this point as a US hockey fan.

I don't know who will win, but I expect an outstanding hockey game. Even as disappointing as the loss to Russia was that was some great hockey. I expect the same tonight/tomorrow in this matchup. Will be interesting to see which matchups the coaches want D versus the forward lines. The US also needs their PP to show up for this one.

Old
12-29-2012, 04:49 PM
flyers28giroux

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPoni23 View Post

He'll probably be sitting in the press box or like Xokkeu said the bench, Jon Gillies is the backup to Gibson.

Old
12-29-2012, 04:50 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by lggy View Post
Is Sieloff for sure not in this one?
For sure in this one

Old
12-29-2012, 04:51 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I was disappointed by what I saw of the US against the Russians. Russia completly dominated them in the second half of the game. Canada on the other hand I thought were going to be far weaker than they are, from what i've seen I think they are a formidable machine and they have talent on four lines. And you have guys like Nathan MacKennon who have not shown all they can do yet. I wish it would be tighter but I see Canada easily taking this.
The second half of the game would be pretty inaccurate. Since the USA was very good for the opening 40, especially the entire second. Really it was parts of the first with the Russians on the powerplay and third even there really what you are talking about is three good shifts and a big rush up ice. They carried the play for 45 to 50 minutes of that game, just could not find a way to get through Makarov and the Russians had very good defensive structure.

Old
12-29-2012, 04:52 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Gibson is going to need to stand on his head on this one. I have a bad feeling RNH, Huberdeau, and Scheifele are going to have a field day with the US defensive unit.

Still deciding whether or not to get up at 4 for this one, or just let the DVR handle it and watch it when I wake up. Tough call... Will probably wake up at 4

Old
12-29-2012, 04:55 PM
Le Golie

Canada 6 USA 3

Old
12-29-2012, 04:59 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNobody View Post
I hope USA wins...and wins big....

This way there will be a goalie change and if there is no goalie change i hope Spott never coaches in the NHL....ever...
You have been complaining about Team Canada from selection camp onwards. I really despise people who come on here with a clearly anti-Canadian agenda, who claim they support the team. Subban is our goalie and Spott is our coach. How about you cheer for them to do their best rather than jeer for them to fail? I don't necessarily agree with all of Spott's decisions, but until the team fails, I'm not going to endlessly rant on here. I would have liked to see Drouin and MacKinnon play together, but I can't argue since Drouin is finding chemistry with Strome and they look pretty good together. I realized that MacKinnon is a center and the likelihood of him displacing RNH or Strome on the top two lines was unlikely. He can still be effective and play himself into a bigger role. If/when Binnington plays a game, I will cheer for him, but I won't cheer against his obstacle in the meantime because I want to see him play. I was against Mason playing over the more heralded Bernier and that worked out pretty good, so until it busts, I will support it. I'm actually glad that the team named a goalie this year rather than the wishy washy 2 games each of recent years.

This US Canada rivalry is actually a little more media created than a reality. It is essentially based on 2 single goal losses out of 11 in the past 10 years...they just happen to have been gold medal games.

I expect this to be a great match, but anyone thinking US will blow us out is ridiculous. Their forwards produced zero goals yesterday against Russia. Sure they scored 8 against Germany, but that team was gassed most of the game and really put up little fight against them. If the USA wins this game, it will be a squeaker.

Old
12-29-2012, 05:02 PM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
You have been complaining about Team Canada from selection camp onwards. I really despise people who come on here with a clearly anti-Canadian agenda, who claim they support the team. Subban is our goalie and Spott is our coach. How about you cheer for them to do their best rather than jeer for them to fail? I don't necessarily agree with all of Spott's decisions, but until the team fails, I'm not going to endlessly rant on here. I would have liked to see Drouin and MacKinnon play together, but I can't argue since Drouin is finding chemistry with Strome and they look pretty good together. I realized that MacKinnon is a center and the likelihood of him displacing RNH or Strome on the top two lines was unlikely. He can still be effective and play himself into a bigger role. If/when Binnington plays a game, I will cheer for him, but I won't cheer against his obstacle in the meantime because I want to see him play. I was against Mason playing over the more heralded Bernier and that worked out pretty good, so until it busts, I will support it. I'm actually glad that the team named a goalie this year rather than the wishy washy 2 games each of recent years.

This US Canada rivalry is actually a little more media created than a reality. It is essentially based on 2 single goal losses out of 11 in the past 10 years...they just happen to have been gold medal games.

I expect this to be a great match, but anyone thinking US will blow us out is ridiculous. Their forwards produced zero goals yesterday against Russia. Sure they scored 8 against Germany, but that team was gassed most of the game and really put up little fight against them. If the USA wins this game, it will be a squeaker.
USA - Canada rivalry is not media created on our end at least. It doesn't have too much to do with the one goal games either.

Old
12-29-2012, 05:03 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Go USA

Old
12-29-2012, 05:03 PM
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 1004
I am going to predict this thread is going to end up becoming closed before the first period is over. This game might bring a Part 3 with all the posts.

Old
12-29-2012, 05:07 PM
WarriorofTime

Big test for Seth Jones against that top Canadian line. Excited to see what he can do.

Old
12-29-2012, 05:10 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

So do I g to sleep at 8 and wake up for the game, or pull an all nighter And go to work exhausted?

Closed Thread