HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Group B • Dec. 30 • Slovakia 2, Germany 1 (OT)

Closed Thread

Old
12-30-2012, 09:52 AM
Bojovnik

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Bojovnik
This powerplay is atrocious :

Old
12-30-2012, 09:54 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
These seems to be the best group of relegation-round teams we've had in a long time. Some blowouts, but not pushovers.

Old
12-30-2012, 09:55 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
How can you say this when Slovakian junior hockey has been getting worse for the last couple of year while countries you mentioned Latvia,Denmark,Norway,germany are only getting better.
Yes and? I never say that Slovak hockey has not been getting worse and the other nations have not been improving. But Slovak hockey STILL is better than those nations even at the junior levels and the rresults even of the junior teams show that Slovakia is still clearly in holdof the No. 7/8 place in junior hockey. The U20 has never been relagted from the WJC unlike those nations and ha a 4th and 6th place finish in the last 5 years. Granted, the U18 team has been relegated once, but they came back with no touble and they bew out Norway 9:2 in the deciding Div IA game. In the U16/U17/U18 tournaments during the season it is hardly a habit for those teams to beat Slovakia, Switzerland is the only eam asides from top 6 that does it (and eve those games are always close ad you never know which team wins). Slovakia might not have had a first rounder in NHL draft in recet years like some of the countries, but in quantity of NHL drafted players they are clearly ahead of those nations.

Just for illustration some results from this last week to support my point:

U18 5 nations tournament in Switzerland

SVK-CZE 4-3 SO
SVK - FIN -4
GER- SVK 2-5
SUI - SVK 3-7

U16 4 Nations Tourney in Finland

SUI- SVK 4-2
SVK -FIN B 3-2 SO
GER- SVK 2-8

So, yes I continue to claim undepending on the result of today´s game that there is a clear drop off between Switzerland and Slovakia and te next wave of nations.

Old
12-30-2012, 10:06 AM
LSnow

Stream died !!!

Old
12-30-2012, 10:07 AM
ByeBye

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovakiasnextone View Post
So, yes I continue to claim undepending on the result of today´s game that there is a clear drop off between Switzerland and Slovakia and te next wave of nations.
And who challenged that claim?
You basically said you don't understand why people without a dog in the fight would root for Germany. I say, if you lose this one there's a good chance you'll finish behind the Germans in this tournament and then the question who "sucks most" gets a little more difficult.
Sure, you held the games against the big nations a lot closer and you definitely get some smiley stickers for that in my book but that's about it.

Old
12-30-2012, 10:08 AM
Bojovnik

Sigh. Awful game by Slovakia.

Old
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Overtime.

This 14 on Germany is a monster blocking shots.

Old
La Flame

Overtime

Old
12-30-2012, 10:09 AM
JTPoni23
Swiss For 2 Weeks...

OT awesome! Now for Germany to get a well deserved win, and the Slovaks can advance with any type of win tomorrow. Win it for Cupper!

Old
12-30-2012, 10:12 AM
MrCraigAnderson
#rooster #classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuernberger View Post
You basically said you don't understand why people without a dog in the fight would root for Germany. I say, if you lose this one there's a good chance you'll finish behind the Germans in this tournament and then the question who "sucks most" gets a little more difficult.
Sure, you held the games against the big nations a lot closer and you definitely get some smiley stickers for that in my book but that's about it.
I believe what he was saying about the underdog. Is that Slovakia is an underdog to advance to the medal round while Germany will be going to the relegation round. But then again Slovakia doesn't need a win vs Germany to advance, they need a win vs USA.

Anyways I'm rooting for a shootout.

Old
12-30-2012, 10:13 AM
La Flame

Slovakia PP.

Old
12-30-2012, 10:13 AM
Bojovnik

Finally. Good hustle by Reway.

Old
12-30-2012, 10:15 AM
La Flame

Ceresnak wins it!

Old
12-30-2012, 10:16 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Slovakia wins on the power play.

Ceresnak...the only drafted player on the team.

Good game.

Old
Bojovnik

Waheey.. A win I suppose. Great one timer by Čerešňák.

Old
Paajarvi18

What a shot!

Old
12-30-2012, 10:17 AM
La Flame

I hope Slovakia beats the US

Old
12-30-2012, 10:17 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuernberger View Post
? That post was an answer to a totally different discussion about the level of nations in junior hockey, not jut about this tournament.

But,I still disagree with what you say, because a position in which a team finishes in a tournament does not always reflect if it was the team that played the best or the team that played the worst and therefore in my opinion sucked the most. For example the game between Slovakia and Russia can end in a tie after 3 periods, but it doesn´t mean that the teams were even and that Russia is not much superior to Slovakia.

I think I´ve offended you with saying that Germany has been the team that has sucked the most in this tourney, in whih case I´m sorry, but I´ve seen them in most of all they games and that´s just the way I see it. But they have really disappointed me this year with their play, because I have seen them in the past perform at a much higher level with a similar player material like this year. I´m not sure if it was partly tactics as in the past they have suffered when they frustrated the strong oppoents and then had no energy against the relegation opponents. Today´s game might have been proof that they indeed might have been conserving energy for the big game against Slovakia, which is a bold move, but still doesn´t mean that I like it.

Old
12-30-2012, 10:19 AM
George Maharis
Risk Taker

Kind of disappointing... Draisaitl called offside when the replay showed his toe was touching the line.. Understandable call as it was too close, but it stopped what could have been the winning shot and resulted in a penalty eventually being called, thus leading to the winner..

Old
12-30-2012, 10:21 AM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

Slovaks look tired. Dano, Mikus, Reway, etc played so many minutes in the last two games that they just did not have a whole lot left. Hopefully they will recover for tommorrows game against US.

Germans played well though, pretty solid. I had thought that the Latvians would win fairly easily against them in the relegation round, to have the Germans relegated, but the Germans proved they can play and should give the Latvians a real run for their money, that'll be a good game, either team can win.

Old
12-30-2012, 10:23 AM
Maverick41

vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReleaseTheLehner View Post
I hope Slovakia beats the US
Nothing against Slovakia, but I hope they don't. Not that it is likely to make a difference, but if Slovakia joins Germany in the relegation round, at we take at least that one point with us.

Old
12-30-2012, 10:23 AM
Natey
#feelthelove

Amazing game by the Germans. Cupper was awesome.

The point is a good thing (as long as Slovakia can't beat USA) for the Germans. If Slovakia goes to the relegation round with them, the German's will have a 1-point advantage over Latvia (and 1-point deficit to Slovakia and a 2-point deficit to Czech/Finland/Switzerland). The point is important because the German's could stay up with 3 OT/SO losses, if the Latvians were to fall to the Slovaks in regulation.

However, if USA goes down, Latvia and Germany will both start with 0 points, while USA and Czech/Finland/Switzerland will start with 3-points each. And barring a couple upsets (Latvia beating USA, Germany beating Czech/Finland/Switzerland), it would likely be the loser of the Latvia/Germany game going down.

Old
12-30-2012, 10:30 AM
GermanNuck

Oh well, Germany played pretty good, i have still some hope that they can avoid relegation by beating latvia. They take this one point into the relegation-round right?

It has never been easy with our juniors, but the way i see it, our mens team will develop in the next few years. Rieder, Kühnhackl, Kahun, Noebels, Draitsaitl, Abeltshauser, Bender, maybe Cüpper (sadly on a CHL team with a bad D, just like Germany), Niederberger.. Those guys paired with Seidenberg, Ehrhoff, Goc, Sulzer, Holzer and Müller should step up our performance a bit..

Anyway, congrats to slovakia, i will cheer for them against the US, gotta love those underdogs.

Old
12-30-2012, 10:33 AM
Zolik37
No.1 Guenin Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick41 View Post
Nothing against Slovakia, but I hope they don't. Not that it is likely to make a difference, but if Slovakia joins Germany in the relegation round, at we take at least that one point with us.
No need to worry. If they play against US like they played today, the game will be over after 5 minutes.

Old
12-30-2012, 10:36 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanNuck View Post
Oh well, Germany played pretty good, i have still some hope that they can avoid relegation by beating latvia. They take this one point into the relegation-round right?

It has never been easy with our juniors, but the way i see it, our mens team will develop in the next few years. Rieder, Kühnhackl, Kahun, Noebels, Draitsaitl, Abeltshauser, Bender, maybe Cüpper (sadly on a CHL team with a bad D, just like Germany), Niederberger.. Those guys paired with Seidenberg, Ehrhoff, Goc, Sulzer, Holzer and Müller should step up our performance a bit..

Anyway, congrats to slovakia, i will cheer for them against the US, gotta love those underdogs.
In case that Slovakia is also in RR, yes, in case that it´s US there then no, so most probably yes.

Closed Thread