HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Grand Rapids Griffins 2012-13 ‎- Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
02-09-2013, 07:19 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
Doesn't help that his two common linemates, Andersson and Tatar, were not on the team last night. I can imagine that would require him to get accustomed to new linemates.
I think those line chemistries are a big thing for Griffins succes. Blashill has kept those TOP lines quite locked through all season. Now these NHL callups are causing a bit of mess down there.

Hopefully the guys will adjust, because it's a part of the business.

Old
02-09-2013, 03:54 PM
joe89

vCash: 500
They'll be fine. Before this one they gave up one goal in three straight wins. Cheechoo pulled off some gamebreaking moves.

We'll see if they can bounce back already tonight.

Hottest Griffin lately might be Almqvist, 3+5, +4 in last 8 games.

Old
02-09-2013, 04:21 PM
NCAA Hockey Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Nyquist has not been playing well since the demotion, didn't watch tonights game yet, but the stats have not been encouraging. His confidence seems to have been shaken by the big call up.
I don't blame him. He's probably realized he's going to be stuck in GR until he's 28 so he's "seasoned" enough.

Old
02-09-2013, 05:10 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Nyquist has not been playing well since the demotion, didn't watch tonights game yet, but the stats have not been encouraging. His confidence seems to have been shaken by the big call up.
My impression has been that he hasn't played well since the lockout ended. I think it's probably for the same reasons. I don't think it's an attitude thing, but more of a confidence thing.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Gus is trying to focus on defense and winning battles to show that he can stick on a lower line on the Wings if necessary. Of course, I haven't seen the last few games. That might be untrue.

Old
02-09-2013, 06:03 PM
joe89

It would be different if Nyquist struggled on the season, but he's not. He's tied for 4th in league scoring and I'd rank his point totals this year in a strengthened league higher than last year. Physically he's gone from weak to average. Good year for him no matter what happens in the next two, three months. In the summer he's got a one-way deal waiting and that'll force Kenny's hand.

Old
02-09-2013, 07:35 PM
joe89

Skinner scored from inside own blue line

Old
02-09-2013, 07:42 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Skinner scored from inside own blue line
A Short handed goal. Must have caught the goalie napping or something. HAHAHAHAHAHA. Nyquist back on the score sheet as well.

Old
02-09-2013, 08:14 PM
joe89

Lol. Game of the weird goals. Nyquist just poked the puck to get by the defender, then poked it once more to score. Two touches from the blueline in..

Old
02-09-2013, 08:49 PM
ealong59

Ferraro out. carried off ice, with possibly a knee injury

Old
02-09-2013, 09:00 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by ealong59 View Post
Ferraro out. carried off ice, with possibly a knee injury
He got tangled up. Hard to say exactly what happened. Hopefully only a minor sprain.

Nyquist with his second goal on a rebound. And then a softie allowed by McCollum..

McCollum crapping the bed big time. His confidence just flew away..

..and now he's pulled in favor of Pearce

Last edited by joe89: 02-09-2013 at 09:13 PM.
Old
02-09-2013, 09:29 PM
joe89

The old blow-a-lead-and-get-brutal-goaltending Griffins showed up tonight. Terrible loss after going up 4-2.

Old
02-10-2013, 05:40 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:
The old blow-a-lead-and-get-brutal-goaltending Griffins showed up tonight. Terrible loss after going up 4-2.
That's pretty weird. Is Mrazek really the spiritual leader also for McCollum's head? Because Tom looks to be sucking again without him there.

Hopefully case Ferraro isn't anything really bad. Knee injuries for great skaters are never good things to be happen.

Old
02-10-2013, 11:15 AM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
He got tangled up. Hard to say exactly what happened. Hopefully only a minor sprain.

Nyquist with his second goal on a rebound. And then a softie allowed by McCollum..

McCollum crapping the bed big time. His confidence just flew away..

..and now he's pulled in favor of Pearce
McCollum simply cannot handle the pressure. It's a good thing he didn't have to play when he was the backup in Detroit, he'd still be in the fetal position.

Old
02-10-2013, 12:17 PM
Clardz

I haven't been able to watch a game since the lockout ended, who are Jurco's linemates now? Is he still 3rd line or has Tatar's promotion enabled him to move up a little. I check the scores after pretty much every game and saw he hasn't done much the last few, but I'm hoping he's still having good shifts.

Old
02-11-2013, 06:54 PM
hpleisman
Rookie User

When will Mrazek come back??? We need him back, plus he's just sitting on the bench in Detroit and McCollum can do that. We need to get rid of McCollum, he's not an NHL goaltender, we've known that for a while in GR, why haven't they figured it out in detroit??

Old
02-11-2013, 06:57 PM
hpleisman
Rookie User

Remember those games down in San Antonio a couple years ago? When like every other shot went in? Ever since then I haven't liked McCollum and the team doesn't play well in front of him. Mrazek and Conklin they do on the other hand. They win when they have goaltending.

Old
02-11-2013, 06:59 PM
hpleisman
Rookie User

Wings need to figure that out quick and send Mrazek back down. Does it really matter who is sitting on the bench? No. It does matter who is between the pipes of the Griffins though.

Old
02-11-2013, 07:17 PM
waltdetroit

Any injury updates on Ferraro?

Old
02-11-2013, 07:53 PM
Jurky
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpleisman View Post
Wings need to figure that out quick and send Mrazek back down. Does it really matter who is sitting on the bench? No. It does matter who is between the pipes of the Griffins though.

It does matter who's the backup in Detroit, if Jimmy goes down with an injury or they need to rest him during a road trip they need a competent backup until the monster comes back, and that's Mrazek not McCollum. And at the end of the day a win for the DRW means a helluva lot more than one for the grifs.
To answer your question, Mrazek will be back down once Gustavsson is back.

Old
02-11-2013, 10:05 PM
FissionFire

Quote:
When will Mrazek come back??? We need him back, plus he's just sitting on the bench in Detroit and McCollum can do that. We need to get rid of McCollum, he's not an NHL goaltender, we've known that for a while in GR, why haven't they figured it out in detroit??
Quote:
Remember those games down in San Antonio a couple years ago? When like every other shot went in? Ever since then I haven't liked McCollum and the team doesn't play well in front of him. Mrazek and Conklin they do on the other hand. They win when they have goaltending.
Quote:
You couldn't have put all this in one post? You just had to triple post and tweak my OCD didn't ya???? Grrrr

Old
02-12-2013, 03:06 PM
vannzee
Ruslan Salei fan...

I really hope that we see the Wings rewarding Billins with an NHL contract this offseason...

Old
02-12-2013, 04:00 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Quote:
When will Mrazek come back???
When Gustavsson is healthy and capable of backing up Howard. Weren't you just advocating playing him in the NHL in another thread as recently as when you were making this post?

Old
02-12-2013, 05:38 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannzee View Post
I really hope that we see the Wings rewarding Billins with an NHL contract this offseason...
I think Billins has definitely earned himself a longer look in the organization. A two-way contract makes sense unless he gets a call up this season and does a pretty impressive Brian Rafalski impression.

Old
02-12-2013, 06:42 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
I have been impressed and we will see but I don't think Billins has any future at all with the Wings. In fact even as much as I have liked his rookie AHL season if he walks to another team I will not be unhappy.

Billins upside is less than Almqvist, Jensen, Marchenko, Sproul, Ouellet, Nicastro (not offensively but as a player) and Lashoff. I hope some of those guys can all be in Grand Rapids next year. With the news that Marchenko has stayed contract free and plans on coming over, I would find a way to dump Fournier and allow Billins to walk.

Nedomlel will also hopefully get a contract as a 6'4" 230 lbs guy. Almqvist still has more NHL upside than Billins and they aren't going to carry both on the Wings. Now if you think Almqvist can't make it I get it. But I look at Billins, Almqvist and Marshall in the same group, I keep Almqvist and don't need the others.

Last edited by The Zetterberg Era: 02-12-2013 at 06:48 PM.
Old
02-12-2013, 07:44 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
I have been impressed and we will see but I don't think Billins has any future at all with the Wings. In fact even as much as I have liked his rookie AHL season if he walks to another team I will not be unhappy.

Billins upside is less than Almqvist, Jensen, Marchenko, Sproul, Ouellet, Nicastro (not offensively but as a player) and Lashoff. I hope some of those guys can all be in Grand Rapids next year. With the news that Marchenko has stayed contract free and plans on coming over, I would find a way to dump Fournier and allow Billins to walk.

Nedomlel will also hopefully get a contract as a 6'4" 230 lbs guy. Almqvist still has more NHL upside than Billins and they aren't going to carry both on the Wings. Now if you think Almqvist can't make it I get it. But I look at Billins, Almqvist and Marshall in the same group, I keep Almqvist and don't need the others.
I'm not sure there will be room for Nedomlel. He had a big year last season but it looks like it might have been a fluke. Haven't seen him play this year but there are, as you said, a lot of guys lining up for spots on that GR blue line. Almquist, Sproul, Ouellet, Marchenko, Nicastro, Lashoff (assuming he doesn't stick full-time in Detroit). Not sure what the plans are for Jensen or Backman but they could figure in there as well. Tough to get into that mix.

Closed Thread