HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Training Camp Predictions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-04-2013, 08:55 AM
  #1
DirtyDangler 91
Registered User
 
DirtyDangler 91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Gatineau, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 192
vCash: 500
Training Camp Predictions

Assuming a deal is reached between the NHL and NHLPA, what do you predict will happen at Leafs training camp?

- Ranger will be invited to camp stealing a spot which earns him an NHL contract.
- Caryle tries multiple players during scrimmages to center Kessel. (VanRiemsdyk, Bozak, Grabo, Kadri, Connolly)
- Kadri finally earns his spot on te roster while Frattin does not.
- Komisarek comes to camp in great shape and Carlyle praises him through out camp.

What are yours?

DirtyDangler 91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:11 AM
  #2
jmart21
MISC!!!
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: All Over The Place
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,511
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDangler 91 View Post
Assuming a deal is reached between the NHL and NHLPA, what do you predict will happen at Leafs training camp?

- Ranger will be invited to camp stealing a spot which earns him an NHL contract.
- Caryle tries multiple players during scrimmages to center Kessel. (VanRiemsdyk, Bozak, Grabo, Kadri, Connolly)
- Kadri finally earns his spot on te roster while Frattin does not.
- Komisarek comes to camp in great shape and Carlyle praises him through out camp.

What are yours?
I don't think the issue with Ranger is EARNING and NHL contract; it's getting him to sign one....

jmart21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:21 AM
  #3
TMLFC
Registered abuser
 
TMLFC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Oshawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,897
vCash: 50
I think Ranger would sign a deal, but their would definitely have to be a NMC on it. He doesn't want to play anywhere but Toronto.

I said it last year about Komisarek, that he would come into camp on a mission. meh, i'll go with it again.

Finally I'll say the mac-grabo-kule line looks stellar in camp and Carlyle is forced to roll a 3 line team with JVR on the 3rd (with Kadri and Frattin)

TMLFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:17 AM
  #4
Mystifo
No more Mr.FightGuy
 
Mystifo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: YYT
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,822
vCash: 500
1. Kulemin rolls into camp with tons of confidence and has a great start.

2. Ranger gets an invite to our camp and strongly looked at.

3. Reimer and Liles are their former selves. (*crosses fingers.*)

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:32 AM
  #5
Kelly
It was 4-1.
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 7,811
vCash: 137
Send a message via ICQ to Kelly
Rielly and Broll both get sent back to Junior.

Nazem earns a top six spot.

Ranger earns a NHL contract.

Loungo goes goalless in all scrimmage games

Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:51 AM
  #6
eyeball11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 14,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
I think Ranger would sign a deal, but their would definitely have to be a NMC on it. He doesn't want to play anywhere but Toronto.

I said it last year about Komisarek, that he would come into camp on a mission. meh, i'll go with it again.

Finally I'll say the mac-grabo-kule line looks stellar in camp and Carlyle is forced to roll a 3 line team with JVR on the 3rd (with Kadri and Frattin)
I really wish we would go with a 3 line approach. I've wanted that for a long time.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:52 AM
  #7
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 70,184
vCash: 500
Luongo is a Leaf and the starter for game 1 of the shortened season.

__________________
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Signature: "Never say Never to a Mike Babcock coached team" ..... Mess (circa 2015) #Play-the-Kids
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:03 PM
  #8
Rare Jewel
Patience
 
Rare Jewel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Leaf Land
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
I don't think the issue with Ranger is EARNING and NHL contract; it's getting him to sign one....
I'm not nearly as concerned. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a piece of paper waiting to be signed in Burke's office right now.

I think the trickier scenario will if he plays well then trying to re-sign him in the summer(assuming he only signs a prorated 1 year deal). With the cap staying at 60m trying to access his value over the next few seasons will be difficult by going off of half a year in the AHL and half in the NHL after the lay off that he had.

Could be another Lupul type of situation in the making.


Last edited by Rare Jewel: 01-04-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Rare Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:13 PM
  #9
ACC1224
Steelers 7-5 @ Bills
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 38,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmart21 View Post
I don't think the issue with Ranger is EARNING and NHL contract; it's getting him to sign one....
I would think there is already an agreement in place. I thought the reason he signed an AHL contract was to allow him to play during the lockout.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:15 PM
  #10
ACC1224
Steelers 7-5 @ Bills
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 38,069
vCash: 500
Luongo will be the starter and the fans will be optimistic going into the season with a long awaited quality goalie.

Who replaces Bozak with Kessel will be the biggest question.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 01:00 PM
  #11
BonMorrison
Your resident SJW
 
BonMorrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 25,022
vCash: 500
Bozak comes into camp better than ever and challenges Grabovski as the best center on the team.

BonMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 04:54 PM
  #12
7even
Go on, do your duty
 
7even's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Georgia
Country: United States
Posts: 10,370
vCash: 500
Rielly and Frattin have disappointing showings; Kessel scores 50 before lunch.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:11 PM
  #13
CHRoNiCWiLL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North York
Posts: 176
vCash: 500
All our key players gets injured and half the marlies roster plays for the leafs.
We then proceed to finish last due to inexperience and win the draft lottery.

CHRoNiCWiLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:16 PM
  #14
Pyrophorus
Registered User
 
Pyrophorus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Eastern GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,631
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennig View Post
Loungo goes goalless in all scrimmage games
Damn Him! I was hoping he would score some EN's

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:18 PM
  #15
TootooTrain
Southern Hospitality
 
TootooTrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Rielly and Frattin have disappointing showings; Kessel scores 50 before lunch.
He's already got 10 by the time he turns the coffee pot on.

Someone is injured in training camp and Ranger earns an NHL contract as a result.

Frattin makes the team, Kadri does not.

One of Ashton, D'amigo make Burke think hard about giving them a spot.

TootooTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:25 PM
  #16
WhatASaveDave
HFB Partner
 
WhatASaveDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: toronto ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,155
vCash: 500
If we run a three line team, do you think Carlyle uses the Grabo line as the shutdown line?


Last edited by WhatASaveDave: 01-04-2013 at 05:57 PM.
WhatASaveDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:41 PM
  #17
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang
 
Phion Keneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vaughan, Ontario
Country: Italy
Posts: 29,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatASaveDave View Post
If we run a three line team, do you think the Carlyle uses the Grabo line as the shutdown line?
It's quite possible. Although If we re-sign I think he'll be apart of the shutdown line

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:51 PM
  #18
Rinzler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Denver, Colorado
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,338
vCash: 500
My Predictions:

- Kadri, Frattin and Ranger make the team
- Broll and Rielly are sent back to Junior (though Rielly will be a late cut)
- Franson, Connolly and Lombardi are traded (with us retaining much of the salary and cap hit)
- Luongo is NOT acquired
- Komisarek will be #7 D and traded at the deadline or bought out in the summer.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:55 PM
  #19
Rinzler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Denver, Colorado
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRoNiCWiLL View Post
All our key players gets injured and half the marlies roster plays for the leafs.
We then proceed to finish last due to inexperience and win the draft lottery.
There will be a lot of injuries on all teams due to the shortened season. Teams with the most depth will have a huge advantage here.

The AHL will play a huge role in which teams make it this year.

Hmm I wonder which teams have the best AHL teams? (i.e. best depth)

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:58 PM
  #20
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge
 
Dangles McGavin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oakville
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,444
vCash: 500
Bozak comes out of the gate looking good. Manages to finish the season at a 65 point pace.

Ranger doesn't sign, finishes season in the AHL and we'll see what happens from there.

Rielly plays half and half. Half of the games he will blow people away with his skill, half of the games he shows his defensive weakness and therefore doesn't finish the team but leaves reason for optimism.

JVR looks good, ready to have a great season.

Lupes looks bad in camp, looks amazing during the season.

Lombardi comes back looking good. I hate him.

Komisarek is in our #5/6 D.

Franson traded for a decent forward prospect.

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 05:59 PM
  #21
TootooTrain
Southern Hospitality
 
TootooTrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,275
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatASaveDave View Post
If we run a three line team, do you think the Carlyle uses the Grabo line as the shutdown line?
He was definitely one of our better two-way players last year.

Led the team in take-aways (49tka, 45gva), decent faceoff percentage (51.5%), and often faced off against the opposing top line.

TootooTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 06:09 PM
  #22
-DeMo-
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Huntsville Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,370
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
camp is gonna be only 6-7 days this year opposed to the 14-21 days it normal consists of if there's a season. there wont be much compitition in Camp and the team will be pretty much already picked based on players who are currently playing in other places. Broll and Rielly will be brought in for the expierence and then sent down. wheather Kadri/Frattin makes the team or gets sent down probably has alot more to do with what they've done on the Marlies to this point then what they do in a 6-7 day camp which may not even have an exhibition game. same things with other guys like Holzer/Komarov and other Marlies players.

I expect this camp to be mostly Carlyle trying to put into place a new mindset and system into the players heads, and working on that as Carlyle didn't have a ton of time to do that last season, thus making sure everyone is on the same page at the start of game 1 because every game is gonna be that much more important from the get go in a 48 game season.

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:06 PM
  #23
Pyrophorus
Registered User
 
Pyrophorus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Eastern GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,631
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by -DeMo- View Post
camp is gonna be only 6-7 days this year opposed to the 14-21 days it normal consists of if there's a season. there wont be much compitition in Camp and the team will be pretty much already picked based on players who are currently playing in other places. Broll and Rielly will be brought in for the expierence and then sent down. wheather Kadri/Frattin makes the team or gets sent down probably has alot more to do with what they've done on the Marlies to this point then what they do in a 6-7 day camp which may not even have an exhibition game. same things with other guys like Holzer/Komarov and other Marlies players.

I expect this camp to be mostly Carlyle trying to put into place a new mindset and system into the players heads, and working on that as Carlyle didn't have a ton of time to do that last season, thus making sure everyone is on the same page at the start of game 1 because every game is gonna be that much more important from the get go in a 48 game season.
Then expect the Leafs to start slow. I just don't think 6-7 days will
be enough for RC to impart his system, they will eventually get it
and play better. Playoffs will hinge, on how long it takes for the
team to get it.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:21 PM
  #24
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Registered User
 
MapleLeafsFan4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,075
vCash: 500
Kadri makes the roster and doesn't get sent back to the Marlies.

Luongo becomes their #1 Goalie.

Lombardi, Connolly, and Steckel are traded or will become healthy scratches.

Komisarek is bought out.

Franson gets traded.

Holzer makes their Defense full time.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:30 PM
  #25
Razor
Say no to Luongo.
 
Razor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 457
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
Kadri makes the roster and doesn't get sent back to the Marlies.

Luongo becomes their #1 Goalie.

Lombardi, Connolly, and Steckel are traded or will become healthy scratches.

Komisarek is bought out.

Franson gets traded.

Holzer makes their Defense full time.
I would add Ranger to this as well, think they both replace Franson and Komisarek.

Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.