HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Mandatory winter/snow tires.....

Old
12-29-2012, 11:36 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

vCash: 500
Mandatory winter/snow tires.....

Without searching Google I know Quebec has a mandatory law, not sure what other provinces or if any states do, but I know Ontario doesn't.

After doing a fair amount of driving over the past several days I really hope Ontario gets on board.

Couple of examples were the guy in front of me not moving when the light turned green. I was about to honk my horn until I noticed his front wheels turning from left to right. His G6 was trying to go, but his all seasons were giving him zero traction.

Another one was a Impala stopping in front of me as we came up to a red light where we were in the far right turning lane. Everything appeared normal until the woman driving let off the brake and cranked the wheel hard to the right and hit the snow bank.
Apparently she decided hitting the snow bank was smarter than hitting the stopped van in front of her.

Wondering how many Canadians and people from northern states switch to snow tires ?

Also how to people in provinces like Quebec feel about it being mandatory and if it's not where you live, how would you feel about being told you had to use snow tires?

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 12:17 AM
Kestrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
Without searching Google I know Quebec has a mandatory law, not sure what other provinces or if any states do, but I know Ontario doesn't.

After doing a fair amount of driving over the past several days I really hope Ontario gets on board.

Couple of examples were the guy in front of me not moving when the light turned green. I was about to honk my horn until I noticed his front wheels turning from left to right. His G6 was trying to go, but his all seasons were giving him zero traction.

Another one was a Impala stopping in front of me as we came up to a red light where we were in the far right turning lane. Everything appeared normal until the woman driving let off the brake and cranked the wheel hard to the right and hit the snow bank.
Apparently she decided hitting the snow bank was smarter than hitting the stopped van in front of her.

Wondering how many Canadians and people from northern states switch to snow tires ?

Also how to people in provinces like Quebec feel about it being mandatory and if it's not where you live, how would you feel about being told you had to use snow tires?
I had a facebook discussion with one of my cousins about tires recently. Because it had snowed in Vancouver, he thought it was great that he had decided to get all season tires. I explained to him that all seasons aren't that great, and that all weather are (perhaps marginally) better, but that in snow, nothing beats a winter tire (yeah, I know a dedicated snow tire is unlikely in Vancouver). His response? "Well, it's just melt, and be wet after a couple of days." That's what all season tires are the worst at, but nobody researches their tires. Then of course, some friend of his had to chirp in and be snotty about it.

I've got all seasons on my car, but I'm in a small town, and I never take the car on the highway - if I have to leave town, I'll borrow someone else's car. Otherwise, I would definitely be doing winter tires in the winter.

Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 07:09 AM
Sigh
Snowflake

vCash: 170
Born and raised in Northern Ontario. All I've ever used is M&S rated all seasons. If I drove a RWD, I might go for winter tires, otherwise meh.

Sigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 07:48 AM
Spectaculard

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
My winter tires might as well be all seasons they're so useless. My fault for buying used I guess. I think knowing how to drive in winter is more important than having winter tires.

Spectaculard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 08:09 AM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

In Sweden winter tyres are required by law on all passenger cars from December 1 to March 31. I really can't understand why any region that experiences real winters wouldn't make them a legal requirement, considering the enormous impact on traffic safety the tyres of a car has.

No-season tyres would be a more correct name for the supposed "all-season" tyres. Rubbish on all surfaces.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 09:54 AM
snakeye

I think I would be twice as scared to drive in the snow without the mandatory winter tire law in effect. Just the other day, with the big snow storm in my region, I saw a HUGE amount of cars that lost control and ended up off the road. I can't even imagine what it would be like with people riding with all seasons all over the place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushin Joo View Post
My winter tires might as well be all seasons they're so useless. My fault for buying used I guess. I think knowing how to drive in winter is more important than having winter tires.
No. You might think you know how to drive in winter until your car takes over on ice and goes its own way.

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 11:59 AM
KRM

I use ContiVikingContact 5, really good in mud and snow.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 12:33 PM
Kush

I refuse to get into any car that doesn't have snow tires in the winter. It should be mandatory in Ontario. It makes such a huge difference. I replace mine every 3 years.

Kush is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 01:33 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

I used to be on the "you don't need snow tires if you know how to drive" side too, until a couple of years ago.

When I got my Vue it had 245/50/18 Bridgestone Turanzas that the Redlines come with. I knew tires that wide and there radial tread wasn't going to cut it in the snow so I got some 215/70/16 snows.......... now I'm a believer. There is a big difference.

Since then every vehicle we've had gets snows in the winter.

Old
12-30-2012, 06:15 PM
Spectaculard

Send a message via MSN to Spectaculard
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeye View Post
I think I would be twice as scared to drive in the snow without the mandatory winter tire law in effect. Just the other day, with the big snow storm in my region, I saw a HUGE amount of cars that lost control and ended up off the road. I can't even imagine what it would be like with people riding with all seasons all over the place.

No. You might think you know how to drive in winter until your car takes over on ice and goes its own way.
Been there, done that. Still no accidents.

Don't speed, keep distance, scan your surroundings. Its simple and efficient. Its also a huge plus to know how to react if you lose traction. Slamming the breaks isn't usually the best thing to do. I will trust someone who knows how to drive and has all seasons on before I trust someone who has the best winter tires and can't drive worth ****.

Spectaculard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 06:39 PM
nogger
Can't stop the #dust

vCash: 50
If the government is willing to pay for my winter tires, why not.

Until then i'll continue driving on my all seasons.

nogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 07:40 PM
Horse
Go Canucks!

Blows my mind that anyone would risk driving in winter without proper tires, they're the only part of your car actually touching the road. I have good winter tires on my suv and studded winter tires on my work truck and wouldn't consider anything else. They should be mandatory.

Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 09:30 PM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse View Post
Blows my mind that anyone would risk driving in winter without proper tires, they're the only part of your car actually touching the road. I have good winter tires on my suv and studded winter tires on my work truck and wouldn't consider anything else. They should be mandatory.
I never used winter tires in all my years here in the Vancouver area. Does it really make sense to use winter tires when 95% of the time it is raining and 10c?

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 10:00 PM
SuperJayMann

I think if we all laid off the gas a little bit and used common sense when driving in winter conditions the government wouldn't need to introduce this type of legislation.

SuperJayMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 10:50 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

I put snow tires on my wifes Pontiac Pursuit, but didn't bother when we replaced it with a Chevy Colorado. As for my truck, I don't typically drive it when it's ****** out, so I obviously don't have snow tires on it, but it does have a solid set of tires so I'm usually alright. They make a huge difference though, knowing how to drive in the winter is all well and good, but when the **** hits the fan it's scary how little control you actually have over your vehicle.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 10:50 PM
Topp Spin
STIHL 286

I use winter tires, and they're better than any all/4 wheel drives in my opinion. You just have to be careful when it comes to selecting the right type for your vehicle. A buddy of mine just bought 10 ply winter tires for his 1/2 tonne Tundra. Way too hard of a tire and he's pretty disappointed.

Topp Spin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2012, 10:58 PM
Topp Spin
STIHL 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Bak_Damphousse View Post
I put snow tires on my wifes Pontiac Pursuit, but didn't bother when we replaced it with a Chevy Colorado. As for my truck, I don't typically drive it when it's ****** out, so I obviously don't have snow tires on it, but it does have a solid set of tires so I'm usually alright. They make a huge difference though, knowing how to drive in the winter is all well and good, but when the **** hits the fan it's scary how little control you actually have over your vehicle.
Yeap, that's totally correct..

To one of the posters above who said that driving skill matters more (I agree in some ways) what do you think would happen if you're in a rear wheel drive vehicle climbing a steep grade? If all the other cars/trucks kept a safe distance, but you started spinning out because you couldn't get grip... Now we have a row of vehicles slowing down and trying to stop on an incline, with icy roads! You'd be in a bad spot my friend, and you'd put the others behind you in a precarious situation.

The situation I'm describing, happened to me last week. Buddy who was leading the pack with all-seasons ended up driving into the ditch on purpose. A couple of us got out and made sure help was on the way. Guy was a mid-60's truck driver, driving his daughters car...

Winter tires are a major help, especially in my neck of the woods!

Topp Spin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 02:27 AM
snakeye

Quote:
Been there, done that. Still no accidents.

Don't speed, keep distance, scan your surroundings. Its simple and efficient. Its also a huge plus to know how to react if you lose traction. Slamming the breaks isn't usually the best thing to do. I will trust someone who knows how to drive and has all seasons on before I trust someone who has the best winter tires and can't drive worth ****.
Overconfidence is not an asset when it comes to winter driving. Winter tires are. Just sayin'.

snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 05:10 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogger View Post
If the government is willing to pay for my winter tires, why not.

Until then i'll continue driving on my all seasons.
You actually don't save any money not using winter tires.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 10:36 AM
nogger
Can't stop the #dust

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
You actually don't save any money not using winter tires.
Buying another set just for winter? Not to mention going to the shop and getting them put on/taken off every season? No thanks. People should just learn to drive before they think winter tires are going to save everyone from getting into accidents

nogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 10:53 AM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogger View Post
Buying another set just for winter? Not to mention going to the shop and getting them put on/taken off every season? No thanks. People should just learn to drive before they think winter tires are going to save everyone from getting into accidents
Winter tires will cost a little more in the end but don't just purchase tires, purchase them on steel rims so a jack and a wheel wrench , even the one that comes with your spare is all you really need to change them over. (although a torque wrench is a good idea too).

Never just buy snow tires and keep switching them on the same rims. Too costly to do every season and constant changing could do damage to the bead.

And obviously when your snows are on your all seasons aren't wearing down, extending the life of your all seasons.

Lastly, as for cost, keep checking Kijiji or Craigslist especially during the warmer weather seasons and you will see people getting rid of good snow tires all the time.
People lease a car, get snow and then when the car gets returned they are stuck with snow tires that don't fit their next vehicle and just want them gone. Or they get in a write-off accident and now those winter tires they have stored away are useless to them. Plenty of reasons you can find good used snow tires.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:34 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

All seasons aren't that good in the snow even if you have all-wheel drive. All seasons have bad performance when it comes to cornering and stopping in bad conditions. It is always recommended to get a set of winter tires. This is fact and there are many studies which show this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
Never just buy snow tires and keep switching them on the same rims. Too costly to do every season and constant changing could do damage to the bead.
If you buy both sets from the same store they'll usually do it for free.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 11:35 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Having winter tires is a huge difference as long as you have the right ones. No matter how good of a driver you are, there are situations that arise that having winter tires help. Also you cannot control how others drive and if everyone had proper winter tires it would make a significant difference.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 02:01 PM
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kush View Post
I refuse to get into any car that doesn't have snow tires in the winter. It should be mandatory in Ontario. It makes such a huge difference. I replace mine every 3 years.
Agree for Ottawa, Eastern and Northern Ontario and other regions that get lots of snow. I wouldn't be without them. I'm not sure they'll ever be mandatory in Ontario because there's a big difference between Ottawa and Southern Ontario. Quebec having a law makes sense since all parts get pretty wintery.

Inkling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 02:18 PM
Horse
Go Canucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
I never used winter tires in all my years here in the Vancouver area. Does it really make sense to use winter tires when 95% of the time it is raining and 10c?
Well obviously I meant only in places that get real winter with snow...

Horse is offline   Reply With Quote