HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

Mandatory winter/snow tires.....

Old
01-05-2013, 06:13 PM
snakeye

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjs View Post
or you can know that there are such things as safe driving distances and that you might need more of a stopping distance in the winter. There's also the thought of not driving up somebody's ass like you're drafting Nascar-style.

I drive an all wheel drive with all seasons. I have no problem getting around, and this includes having to drive a steep hill to get to my apartment that is poorly maintained in the winter. If I know the roads suck, I back off of the driver in front of me.
All wheel drive won't have any effect on stopping distance, which is reduced with all season tires compared to winter tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjs View Post
or you can stop assuming how I drive in the winter. I never said I drove slower than anybody else. I said I keep with the flow of traffic but I also keep my distance.

But hey, whatever works for you.

If you're keeping up with cars equipped with winter tires, your driving is unsafe.

Last edited by snakeye: 01-05-2013 at 06:19 PM.
snakeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:35 PM
D Fresh
Lost Horizons

Mandatory winter tires is a must.
I can almost guarantee you every professional driver on the planet uses winter tires in the winter. It's not because they're richer than you and can afford it, but because it's the smartest safest thing to do.
I don't see a problem with people who see any less than 1 inch of snow a year. If you get more your a mobile disaster waiting to happen.
As countless videos in here and posters have said... It's not the driver, it's the conditions and the machine.

Makes me upset when clowns floor it down the freeway in their 4x4 after a snow storm.

D Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:08 AM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Bump..... so everyone still feeling the same?

I say this because I was behind countless people last night who couldn't seem to get traction. It's not normal for 5 cars to get through before the light turns red again :shake

Last edited by Stanley Foobrick: 02-09-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 10:20 AM
snakeye

This thread died because the all seasoners ran out of arguments.

Old
02-09-2013, 10:52 AM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

vCash: 1000
Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
I have 4WD on my blazer w/ all seasons. I'm fine.

MainDotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2013, 11:00 AM
Altimus
Probably drunk

Send a message via AIM to Altimus Send a message via MSN to Altimus
I have winter tires for my car, but my aunt(same exact car) needed them more so since my all seasons have 7/32 tread depth, i stuck with them this winter and lent her my winters. Ive yet to see an issue other then knowing i have to give myself a larger gap then normal to merge into traffic. If you know how to flutter your petals to maintain traction, all seasons aren't that bad.

However, i cant wait to have my winter tires back.

Altimus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 11:19 AM
Topp Spin
STIHL 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaindotC View Post
I have 4WD on my blazer w/ all seasons. I'm fine.
Lol, 4WD does nothing on ice! I have a 3/4 tonne diesel with 4WD and drive lots and lots in horrible weather, but I still have winter tires. Its a must.

Last edited by Topp Spin: 02-10-2013 at 11:28 AM.
Topp Spin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 12:38 PM
OilerNut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
Bump..... so everyone still feeling the same?

I say this because I was behind countless people last night who couldn't seem to get traction. It's not normal for 5 cars to get through before the light turns red again :shake
yup, still no need for winter tires. It's cloudy and 9c here right now. How are winter tires going to help me?

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:09 PM
nogger
ploffs?

vCash: 50
Still driving no problem on all seasons.

nogger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:40 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
What people don't realize is that winter tires are much safer on dry, cold ground than all seasons are. All seasons tend to get super hard due to the compound that they are made of. Winter tires stay a lot softer and increase the grip exponentially.

It's the same reason why all seasons will outperform summer only tires in the winter.

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 01:54 PM
snakeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
What people don't realize is that winter tires are much safer on dry, cold ground than all seasons are. All seasons tend to get super hard due to the compound that they are made of. Winter tires stay a lot softer and increase the grip exponentially.

It's the same reason why all seasons will outperform summer only tires in the winter.
Wouldn't it be hilarious having all season tire owners arguing for all season tires vs summer tires whilst defending their use of all season tires vs winter tires?

Last edited by snakeye: 02-10-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Old
02-10-2013, 02:18 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post

This is also the reason winter tires wear faster. It's interesting the number of people that realize that fact though.

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2013, 02:33 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
This is also the reason winter tires wear faster. It's interesting the number of people that realize that fact though.
Pick-and-choose facts seem to be a favorite, ya know?

ECL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 09:29 AM
Puckclektr

I have winter tires. I live just south of Barrie and many days need snow tires. But 20 minutes south of Barrie to Toronto, until the latest snow only had snow for a week around Christmas. And the snow is only in the road for a day or two. Not to many snow days in Toronto. Why force it there for a handful of days a year? There are people driving in snow without winters that can drive safer than idiots in winter tires or a 4x4. I am sure that there are many people in the gta that don't have snow tires and take public transit on the few days where snow tires are needed. Why punish them?
As for saying it doesn't cost anymore for winter because you are saving your summer tires.
Wrong
You either need to purchase another set of rims and balancing with those snow tires. Very hard to find new rims balanced for under $300. Ya you can buy used or change them yourself, but not everyone knows the difference between a good and a bad rim or tire. Even many men. How many woman know how to change a tire. Let alone four.
That $300. Many people don't have.

Last edited by Puckclektr: 02-11-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Puckclektr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2013, 04:03 PM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
I never used winter tires in all my years here in the Vancouver area. Does it really make sense to use winter tires when 95% of the time it is raining and 10c?
Makes more sense to just take the bus that day.

Vancouver is horrifying when there is any snow, no one can drive.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:54 PM
Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakic View Post
I work in a tire shop and would like to chime in here...in Calgary I would be all for a mandatory law. We are busy enough as it is but the amount of cars on the road with bald tires or garbage tires is downright scary.
Being that you work at a tire shop I'm not surprised you think people should be forced to buy an extra set of tires. I bet you think we should have our tires filled with nitrogen too.

In Calgary the winter weather is so dry and the temperature so incredibly variable that it's not worth buying winter tires. As often as we have bitterly cold -25 days we have more balmy +10 days. On the whole we don't get much snow; most of the winter the roads are bare and dry.

Like today, for instance: sunny and +7 outside. In all of 2013 so far it has snowed once, and most days have been well over 0. Since September Calgary has had a grand total of 85.4 cm of snow, a lot of which simply melted when it hit the road surfaces and soon evaporated.

Montreal had more snow in December alone than Calgary has had in the last four-and-a-half months. Montreal had more snow on the day of December 27th, 2012 than Calgary had in any given MONTH.

If I lived in a colder, snowier locale, sure: I'd buy winter tires. But being that I live in a very dry place that, in the grand scheme of things, doesn't get very cold very often I'm perfectly comfortable going without. In fact I probably should go without being that in warm, dry weather winter tires provide atrocious traction.

Last edited by Hoser: 02-12-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 02:59 PM
HF007
In Roy we Trust

You don't need them you just have to drive carefully and lol at all the people from Ontario crying.

HF007 is offline   Reply With Quote