HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WJC Nuge vs Yak

View Poll Results: Who takes it?
Russia 5 6.85%
Canada 68 93.15%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2012, 10:36 AM
Wheatking

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I think Drouin is having a great tourney but will size hold him back in the NHL?
Doubt it. Usually when you're small in the NHL, you've been small at every level. The great players learn how to play with what they have.

It's not like he's Gilbert Brule...who was basically an undersized power forward that couldn't play the game that made him a successful junior player in the NHL.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:37 AM
scid14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Probably a combination of both TBH. That said I think that it's extremely unfair to crap on Nail when he was easily one of the best players on his team at getting anything done offensively.
Yeah. It's easy to say Yak has been underwhelming when he has been on a team that has been altogether underwhelming. He has been increasingly showing more as the tournament goes along and has been one of the better players on Russia throughout.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:41 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by scid14 View Post
Yeah. It's easy to say Yak has been underwhelming when he has been on a team that has been altogether underwhelming. He has been increasingly showing more as the tournament goes along and has been one of the better players on Russia throughout.
You can see that the skills are there it's just that he didn't get any bounces going his way tonight.

12-31-2012, 10:42 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
IMO people seem to be brushing that aside but the Russian team really isn't that strong. Yes there are a small handful of very good talents but there aren't nearly as many high draft picks as there are on Canada. For those that like to crap on Nail how would you compare his game tonight against a better Canadian team Vs. say Huberdeau's who was playing against a weaker Russian team? Huberdeau was the 3rd overall pick a year before Nail and he is nowhere near as dynamic as Nail is.
It reminds me of Seguin vs the Spitfires in 2010. He was arguably the most talented player in the series but he was an island going up against Hall, Henrique, Fowler, Ellis, Kassian, Wellwood and Nemisz. Then have a good coach put in place a game plan made specifically to shut you down...and you're not going to put up any points. It doesn't matter how great you are.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:43 AM
DrDrai
Destiny Panic's 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam98 View Post
Yakupov is no where. Great players always find ways to get goals, Yakupov isn't doing that.
Like it or not he's not going to deke out 5 guys and roof it, how can he find a way to score when his team can't help him. I can't believe the negativity towards yakupov, not just here but all social media.

I almost get the feeling that people would rather see him take the one timer on the PP and blast it into the shin pads of the defender and kill the play, he's dealing with what he is given and that isn't much.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:45 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
You can see that the skills are there it's just that he didn't get any bounces going his way tonight.
It's not just the bounces. He'd enter the zone all alone and would have 2 Dmen in front of him and a forward pressuring him from behind. He had no time and space. The Russians should have adjusted and had someone else carry the puck into the zone...or dump and chase. Either way, just get Yakupov in a position to shoot the puck. Yes, his passing is underrated but when you need a big goal, Yakupov is the guy that should be taking the shot.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:48 AM
Qrispy

Varnakov is a garbage coach. Canada knew Russia's gameplan and shut them down completely. He had no answer whatsoever. You can't blame Yak for this at all.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:53 AM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
I've seen Jenner in two playoff series against Niagara. He's not a 3rd/4th line guy, he will be a strong 2nd line center. He's playing the roll of 3rd line center now because of the depth.
Brock Otten who watches the OHL lots says Jenner has been the best player in the OHL this year. So I wouldn't discount his abilities so quickly. He is exactly what the Oilers need right now - size and grit up front.

Notloilersfan I'm with you regarding Jenner and his abilities....

Old
12-31-2012, 10:58 AM
McClelland

vCash: 50
Quote:
If we don't move Gagner I think that they would work pretty well together actually. That said IMO you'd need a guy like Harski on that line to help win some board battles. If it was those 2 and say Hemsky, I think that they'd have a hard time maintaining possession in the offensive zone.
Gags is on his way out, thats no secret! Use yak to get us a top 2 c, thats where our big weakness is when schultz stop the leak in defence.
People fancy youth talent, they dont understand how to build a team who can stand 84 + playoffs.

Old
CupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240SX93 View Post
Like it or not he's not going to deke out 5 guys and roof it, how can he find a way to score when his team can't help him. I can't believe the negativity towards yakupov, not just here but all social media.

I almost get the feeling that people would rather see him take the one timer on the PP and blast it into the shin pads of the defender and kill the play, he's dealing with what he is given and that isn't much.
The negativity is warranted.
You guys keep making excuses for him but he needs to be better, bottom line. The great players fight through adversity regardless of linemates, coaching etc. and he's not doing it, plain and simple. His best moments have been shorthanded, he has been non-existent 5 on 5 and on the PP. I thought that he came out flying in the 1st and played really well then he proceeded to disappear in the last 2 periods.

I know that it's easy to biased because he's Oiler property but look at it objectively and you would see that his struggles are on him as much as anybody else.
I fully expect him to be a great NHLer but he just isn't cutting the mustard with the Russian team.

Old
40oz

Quote:
Nabil Karim ‏@NabilKarimTSN
When asked about top line staying together, Spott says yes,for now. But he'll sit down with RNH to get his thoughts too #TSN #2013WJC
Respect from the coach

Old
12-31-2012, 11:00 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
Respect from the coach
So if Drouin isn't on the line in the semis and we lose, do we blame RNH's bad coaching?

Old
12-31-2012, 11:05 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
hopefully ...
I was expecting him to be Stamkos like in this tourney potting in PP slappers left and right. But then again my expectations were based on the youtube highlight reels of his.
Interestingly he is still Russia's top point producer with 4 in 3...
Stamkos didn't do that in the world junior tournament either.

It's a tough tournament for shooters given their lack of chemistry with linemates and the intensity of the defense being played.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:11 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
It reminds me of Seguin vs the Spitfires in 2010. He was arguably the most talented player in the series but he was an island going up against Hall, Henrique, Fowler, Ellis, Kassian, Wellwood and Nemisz. Then have a good coach put in place a game plan made specifically to shut you down...and you're not going to put up any points. It doesn't matter how great you are.
The good news is that when/if the NHL ever gets going again, Yakupov is going to appreciate, better than most, how lucky he is to be playing with skilled linemates like RNH/Hall/Eberle.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:12 AM
DrDrai
Destiny Panic's 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
You guys keep making excuses for him but he needs to be better, bottom line. The great players fight through adversity regardless of linemates, coaching etc. and he's not doing it, plain and simple. His best moments have been shorthanded, he has been non-existent 5 on 5 and on the PP. I thought that he came out flying in the 1st and played really well then he proceeded to disappear in the last 2 periods.

I know that it's easy to biased because he's Oiler property but look at it objectively and you would see that his struggles are on him as much as anybody else.
I fully expect him to be a great NHLer but he just isn't cutting the mustard with the Russian team.
Ok so quite simply, what is he suppose to do? Ask his line mates to capitalize on his setups? Yell at his coach to make a better plan? Tell defending teams to stop playing a tight team defense?

I mean everyone is saying he should just make it work. This Russian team is not like previous teams it always looks like a fire drill out there especially against a well organized and skilled Canadian team.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:15 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Anyone notice in the first, Nuge line had a shift and Nuge picked Yaks pocket before setting up Schief? Right at the blue line. I wonder if Nuge and Yaks had a 'Sup?' moment before the game.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:22 AM
oilersfan11

Quote:

Need to remember that Tyler Seguin was non-existent against Taylor Hall in the OHL playoffs as well.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:22 AM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
So if Drouin isn't on the line in the semis and we lose, do we blame RNH's bad coaching?
But of course, and maybe Renney a bit too.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:27 AM
Qrispy

Quote:

Are you trolling? Yeah, Yak hasn't been great but who has? You really expect him to dangle through 3+ Canadian defenders and score? Sorry, it doesn't work that way. This is one of the best Canadian junior teams in a while and they played a near perfect game while the Russian coach didn't adapt and apparently didn't teach his forwards how to play as a team.

If you were looking at things objectively, you'd see the other Russian forwards are doing even less than Yak.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:28 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
The good news is that when/if the NHL ever gets going again, Yakupov is going to appreciate, better than most, how lucky he is to be playing with skilled linemates like RNH/Hall/Eberle.
One thing that does concern me about Yakupov is that he might not be a big game player. We have Hall, Eberle and RNH so it's not the end of the world but it is a little concerning.

Combine the WJC, OHL playoffs, Super Series and Canada/Russia Challenge and he has 6 goals and 26 points in 26 games. That's actually pretty low considering those are all junior level games.

If I have to rank our 5 young players on who is most likely to win the Conn Smythe if we ever win the cup, it would be Hall/Eberle, RNH, Schultz and then Yakupov.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:30 AM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Need to remember that Tyler Seguin was non-existent against Taylor Hall in the OHL playoffs as well.
RNH wasn't too great in his last WHL playoff series either. Same for Stamkos in his last OHL series IIRC.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:33 AM
CupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240SX93 View Post
Ok so quite simply, what is he suppose to do? Ask his line mates to capitalize on his setups? Yell at his coach to make a better plan? Tell defending teams to stop playing a tight team defense?

I mean everyone is saying he should just make it work. This Russian team is not like previous teams it always looks like a fire drill out there especially against a well organized and skilled Canadian team.
It's not just against the Canadian team. He has been underwhelming in all the international series since the draft and he disappeared in the OHL playoffs in his draft year. It's an ongoing problem that he has in big games when there isn't a lot of space to work with. It's a concern IMO.

I would like to see just one break out game from him when he takes the bull by the horns and take over a game because he's certainly capable, something to show that he's worthy of a top pick and i haven't seen it yet. When he skated like he did in the 1st today, you can see how many chances that he can create when he has his skating legs. For some reason, he stopped skating after that. He gets frustrated way too easily and i would like to see him fight through that because the challenges are only going to become more daunting at the NHL level.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:34 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
RNH wasn't too great in his last WHL playoff series either. Same for Stamkos in his last OHL series IIRC.
Exactly. To just say he needs to be better is very simplistic. It doesn't work that way. Yakupov was double teamed(some times triple teamed) today. The fact that he was still creating more than any other Russian in the last 2 periods is pretty impressive.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:37 AM
scid14

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
Neither was RNH with Red Deer in the playoffs if I remember correctly? People need to stop worrying.

Edit: Haha beat to it by BBO. Yak is going to be a hell of a player.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:41 AM
40oz

Quote:
Every year you can look through top scorers in CHL playoffs and it's chocked full of over agers and 3rd year vets. We'd all love to see draft eligible players light it up in the playoffs, but it's pretty unrealistic.

Closed Thread