HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who do the Oilers buyout? (If anyone)

Old
01-03-2013, 02:55 PM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

vCash: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Well perhaps this is a slight over exaggeration. I do Agree. Horc is a good 3rd line C, however a good 3rd line C goes for 2-3 mill, not 5.5. If horc was only under contract for a year or maybe 2 then you could justify keeping him. However, given he is locked up for 3 more years, you have to buy him out. If you don't it sends the message we are happy with mediocre teams and not willing to do what it takes to be elite. Simple as that. He has to be bought out.
In what world is he a good third line center? He struggles defensively is poor on faceoffs, and to top it all off he is on the first unit pp, yet manages to struggle to put up points.

As if that isnt enough he is the team captain, who complains to management that his pp time has been cut in favour of younger, better options.

If fans truly want to keep this clown then they deserve the perpetual losing that comes with it.

We are being given a get out of jail free card and there are actually posters on here who are arguing against using it?

Holy ****ing **** man.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 02:55 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 2627
I doubt Wang buys RDP out, but what the hell happens with him? Do they eventually just send him to the AHL just to rot and hope he retires?

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 02:56 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Imagine a world where we have the opportunity to buy out Horcoff's contract and choose not to.
Imagine HF

Old
01-03-2013, 03:09 PM
nexttothemoon
darkness.myoldfriend

vCash: 50
If the cap goes to $60 million it really shouldn't even be a debate. It's an obvious move to get that 5.5 cap hit off the books.

Even if you somehow think that collectively players like Belanger, Eager, Petrell, Potter, Peckham etc suck just as much or more than Horcoff... you'd have to essentially dump 5 of those players to equal the Horcoffian cap hit. Then you'd have to turn around and find players that suck less to fill those roster spots and do so at even lower cap hits. Essentially impossible. (Yes I realize players like Peckham/Petrell are UFA/RFA and don't have to be bought out anyway... but that's the point... there really is no other obvious buyout option other than Horcoff.)

Hemsky or Smyth are other possibilities but at lower cap hits... and they only have one year left after this season.

Whacking Horcoff is by far the easiest and most obvious move... not that Tamblowe will want to do the most sensible and obvious move.

Hell you'll just as likely see Horcoff signed to a further "reasonable" 3 year extension at a "low" cap hit of ~$2.5 million per year to insure they have the benefit of his veteran presence on the team when the team needs it the most as they'll have so many young, inexperienced players on the roster who'll need his mentorship, guidance and support.

Last edited by nexttothemoon: 01-03-2013 at 03:20 PM.
nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 03:10 PM
McDreamy
Losing credibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
As if that isnt enough he is the team captain, who complains to management that his pp time has been cut in favour of younger, better options.
Has he actually done this?

McDreamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 03:17 PM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchslap View Post
Has he actually done this?
No, I just made it up.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:19 PM
McDreamy
Losing credibility

Quote:
No, I just made it up.
Wouldn't be the first time it's happened on the internet. Link?

Not saying I don't believe you, just don't know how I've never heard it.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:30 PM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

Quote:
Wouldn't be the first time it's happened on the internet. Link?

Not saying I don't believe you, just don't know how I've never heard it.
Im not looking for the link. You can take my word for it or not. Remember all the talk last year of a vet forward who was griping about his pp time being cut back? Everyone assumed it was Ryan Smyth? It was thecaptainshawnhorcoff.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:36 PM
NeuteredHockeyLeague
5-14-6-1

vCash: 500
Even if it isn't legitimately sourced I would believe it.
Horcoff has obviously forgotten how blessed he is to even be playing in the NHL, and even more so by his ridiculous contract. I don't care that he takes tough minutes and is the scape goat, he needs to be bought out or at least stripped of captaincy.

NeuteredHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 03:45 PM
McDreamy
Losing credibility

I agree that he's an entitled plug, but if he did in fact complain that he wasn't getting enough PP time he should have been sent right down to OKC. You cannot have a player like that in the dressing room, let alone with a C on his chest. It actually disgusts me to hear that, and confirms what many of us here have thought for years. He must think he's one hell of a player to have the audacity to do such a thing. I just wanted a link for proof because I don't want to bring my hate for him to a whole new level over hearsay.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:48 PM
I am the Liquor
Wrong Way Eberle

Quote:
I agree that he's an entitled plug, but if he did in fact complain that he wasn't getting enough PP time he should have been sent right down to OKC. You cannot have a player like that in the dressing room, let alone with a C on his chest. It actually disgusts me to hear that, and confirms what many of us here have thought for years. He must think he's one hell of a player to have the audacity to do such a thing. I just wanted a link for proof because I don't want to bring my hate for him to a whole new level over hearsay.
They couldnt send him down even if they wanted to because of his nmc. But really, what they did do was put him back on the first unit.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:50 PM
McOkMcgoMcoil

Quote:
In what world is he a good third line center? He struggles defensively is poor on faceoffs, and to top it all off he is on the first unit pp, yet manages to struggle to put up points.

If fans truly want to keep this clown then they deserve the perpetual losing that comes with it.

We are being given a get out of jail free card and there are actually posters on here who are arguing against using it?

Holy ****ing **** man.
Did you read my post, I was agreeing with you. However, I don't think Horc is useless. If you compare what he does to other 3rd line C in the NHL he is probably in the top half of them. however, that is not worth any where close to 5.5 mill.

We have to buy him out if we have the chance.

McOkMcgoMcoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 03:59 PM
McDreamy
Losing credibility

Quote:
They couldnt send him down even if they wanted to because of his nmc. But really, what they did do was put him back on the first unit.
Ah yes, forgot about the nmc. Then put him behind a counter at rexall selling hamburgers and beer.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:13 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Im not looking for the link. You can take my word for it or not. Remember all the talk last year of a vet forward who was griping about his pp time being cut back? Everyone assumed it was Ryan Smyth? It was thecaptainshawnhorcoff.
It was Eager

Old
01-03-2013, 04:21 PM
rockinghockey

HOrc will be the only contract that will be bought out. The rest are all to small and we wont be in a bad cap situation. You have to remember that Khabi, Sutton, Souray buy out and Gilbert are also UFAs and then after next year Belanger and Eager will both be gone. This frees up the money to carry on though.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 04:23 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Ahhh yes. You appreciate a good debate with these rules right?

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 04:24 PM
McSuper
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
If the cap goes to $60 million it really shouldn't even be a debate. It's an obvious move to get that 5.5 cap hit off the books.

Even if you somehow think that collectively players like Belanger, Eager, Petrell, Potter, Peckham etc suck just as much or more than Horcoff... you'd have to essentially dump 5 of those players to equal the Horcoffian cap hit. Then you'd have to turn around and find players that suck less to fill those roster spots and do so at even lower cap hits. Essentially impossible. (Yes I realize players like Peckham/Petrell are UFA/RFA and don't have to be bought out anyway... but that's the point... there really is no other obvious buyout option other than Horcoff.)

Hemsky or Smyth are other possibilities but at lower cap hits... and they only have one year left after this season.

Whacking Horcoff is by far the easiest and most obvious move... not that Tamblowe will want to do the most sensible and obvious move.

Hell you'll just as likely see Horcoff signed to a further "reasonable" 3 year extension at a "low" cap hit of ~$2.5 million per year to insure they have the benefit of his veteran presence on the team when the team needs it the most as they'll have so many young, inexperienced players on the roster who'll need his mentorship, guidance and support.
Just to let everyone know the NHL has moved off of one buy out and up it to two . So a team can make 2 buy outs that will not count against the cap . Does this change the thinking of say buying out Horcoff and maybe buying out two other players . Here the link to the story

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412704

McSuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 04:25 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
HOrc will be the only contract that will be bought out. The rest are all to small and we wont be in a bad cap situation. You have to remember that Khabi, Sutton, Souray buy out and Gilbert are also UFAs and then after next year Belanger and Eager will both be gone. This frees up the money to carry on though.
What?

Old
01-03-2013, 04:26 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
It's not always about bad cap though. With max contract limits and such and young players coming up, there could very well be a reason to get rid of cheaper under performing vets I.E Eager/Belanger.

Not saying they'll get bought out or will be bought out, but after this season we could find ourselves looking at a different situation than the one we are in now.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:27 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by supert View Post
Just to let everyone know the NHL has moved off of one buy out and up it to two . So a team can make 2 buy outs that will not count . Does this change the thinking of say buying out Horcoff and maybe buying out two other players . Here the link to the story

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412704
The way that Tambo and Lowe do math it probably does.

IMO with the Oilers situation you use one buy-out on Horcoff and probably don't use the other unless someone performs really really awful from the time the season starts to the end.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:31 PM
The Big Unit

I read on TSN today that they're negotiating 2 buyouts per team prior to the start of next season. So besides Horcoff......who else do you guys think we should buy out?

The Big Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 04:31 PM
McSuper
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
The way that Tambo and Lowe do math it probably does.

IMO with the Oilers situation you use one buy-out on Horcoff and probably don't use the other unless someone performs really really awful from the time the season starts to the end.
I was thinking the same . I gives us this year to look at players and decide who should no longer be an Oiler

Old
01-03-2013, 04:33 PM
McSuper
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Unit View Post
I read on TSN today that they're negotiating 2 buyouts per team prior to the start of next season. So besides Horcoff......who else do you guys think we should buy out?
They story on tsn is saying ... TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun of ESPN.com says that the NHL has upped its compliance buyout offer to two players per team, up from one prior to the 2013-14 season.

However, the buyouts would still count against the players' share, which the Players' Association disapproves of. They prefer that the dollars were outside the system.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:36 PM
Da McBomb

Buy out Horcoff and give #10 to Yakupov and the C to Hallsy.

Last edited by Da McBomb: 01-03-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Da McBomb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 04:37 PM
McSuper
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
It was Eager
Any proof to that ? It would seem to me more likely . As much as we all rag on Horcoff for be a bad hockey player for what he is being paid , he has never been one to complain , as far as i know . He has been a good hard working player . He just lacks the skill .