Notices

Rants, Raves, and Other Thoughts

Closed Thread

Old
09-19-2003, 09:40 PM
Dr GLU

vCash: 500
Rants, Raves, and Other Thoughts

Thought I'd better get it out of my system after the game.

Rants:

Ron Tugnutt: 3 goals on 10 shots? The first one shouldn't have gone in at all (think Turco vs. EDM in the playoffs), and in the second if he cuts off the pass, no goal. He was pretty brutal.

John Erskine: He got his head handed to him by Chris Simon (who should have gotten tossed for third man in, but I'll get to that in a sec), and he wasn't especially good either. If he keeps playing like he did tonight, Daley or MacMillan will be starting with the Stars.

Officiating: The officiating was horrendous. They missed several blatant calls both ways. Also, they failed to toss out Chris Simon for jumping Erskine.

Aaron Downey: He may be a fan favorite, but he can be a liability. Took ill-timed penalties.

Boris Mironov: What a clown. I used to like this guy, but he jumped Ott from behind. Then, Ott managed to flip the advantage and had Mironov pinned on the ice and gave him a few shots to the head.

Chris Simon: Simon's no better than Mironov. If the Rags expect him to help out, I think they'll be in for a rude awakening.

Raves:

Trevor Daley: This guy could QB our 2nd PP unit right now. He was outstanding on the PP tonight. Also, he played solid D and led the rush. One particular rush, he went end to end through the Rags D, but couldn't get off a good shot at the end. I expect he needs to play in Utah, but he was better than Erskine tonight.

Steve Ott: 2 assists and causes a brawl that get the Stars a full two minute 5-on-3 PP. He was a factor all night long. I think he showed up Barnaby on how to be a pest.

Antti Miettinen: He has crazy chemistry with Kapanen. Those two just know where are each other are. He played on the PP and PK. Good in coverage and in the offensive zone EXCEPT that he tries to make cute moves along the boards. That won't work in the NHL. Better speed than I expected. He also was hitting. Two of his hits created odd-man chances.

Philippe Boucher: Showed that he can bring a Hatcher like presence on any particular night. He was crushing people and also created the offense that eventually brought the Stars back into the game. He likely won't be as physically dominant as Hatcher, but he will be a key to Dallas's D.

Dan Ellis: No goals allowed and absolutely stones Petr Nedved on a penalty shot in just his 3rd professional period. Not bad at all.

Other thoughts:

Teppo Numminen was effective. His smarts shone through in his coverage and PP play. He is comfortable on his off side and should combine well with Zubov.

Mathias Tjärnqvist is excellent along the boards and in front of the net. He was the Stars best forechecker often retrieving the puck and absorbed a ton of punishment in front of the net. It's just a shame his linemates didn't shoot while he was taking all that abuse. I was disappointed by his backchecking, but his game was solid.

Richard Matvichuk looked better and more comfortable on his natural side.

Sergei Zubov still needs to shoot more.

Lines:

Forwards:
Tjärnqvist-Modano-Lehtinen
Miettinen-Kapanen-Guerin
Morrow-Arnott-Oliver
Ott-Valicevic-Downey

***Other Combos***
Miettinen-Kapanen-Oliver (very fun to watch)
Morrow-Arnott-Guerin (lots of chances created and missed)
Ott-Valicevic-Tjärnqvist

Defense:
Numminen-Zubov
Matvichuk-Boucher
Erskine-Daley

***Other Combos***
Matvichuk-Daley

Goaltenders:
Tugnutt (1st & 2nd)
Ellis (3rd)

My 3 Stars:
1. Boucher
2. Kovalev
3. Ott
(same as those chosen)

My 3 Prospect Stars:
1. Ott
2. Daley
3. Miettinen

My 3 Non-Stars:
1. Ron Tugnutt
2. Mike Dunham
3. Chris Simon

Old
09-20-2003, 08:59 AM
Wyvern

vCash: 500
Thanks for that. I was not able to see the game

Sounds like the Rangers have a surplus of goons.

Old
09-21-2003, 01:12 AM
Spiffy

vCash:
Glad to see Miettinen still having chemistry with Niko....

If Miettinen makes the big club and stays there expect to see Finland's world cup team to have a third line of Miettinen - Kapanen - Pärssinen (Anaheim draftee)...

Closed Thread