HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Drouin...1st overall pick?

Old
12-31-2012, 12:12 AM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

vCash: 500
Drouin vs Mackinnon is like Duchene vs Tavares all over again.

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:13 AM
hockeywhiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KovalSNIPE View Post
Everyone is saying that MacKinnon is the consensus number 1 pick this upcoming draft with Jones at a close 2nd, but does anyone think Drouin can go 1st?

He has a better PPG average (2.00, MacKinnon: 1.73) and only has 4 less points in 6 less games. Has only 3 less goals while taking 65 less shots. He is better offensively, plus, he is outplaying MacKinnon in the WJC who is listed as their 13th forward.
Absolutely not.

3rd pick.

hockeywhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:14 AM
hockeywhiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post
Drouin vs Mackinnon is like Duchene vs Tavares all over again.
True. I still believe that the islanders made a right decision by selecting Tavares.

hockeywhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:18 AM
Breakfast of Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik View Post
Mathias Brunet wrote an article about that last month.

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey...6_section_POS1

He quotes NHL scouts that follow the Q league. They say that they really like Drouin's progression and some start to wonder who is the best one. For now they still think that MacKinnon will go first.

That article stated that when Drouin was absent MacKinnon slowed, only to return to dominance after Drouin was back in the lineup.

MacKinnon had 8 goals and 3 assists in the 6 games Drouin missed while the team went 6-0.....

Breakfast of Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:19 AM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywhiz View Post
True. I still believe that the islanders made a right decision by selecting Tavares.
They did and its not even a close call, thats why I brought it up

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 12:38 AM
The Zetterberg Era
RIP Octopi

It would take a lot of intestinal fortitude for any team picking in the top 2 to go with anyone other than Jones or MacKinnon. I can see the argument for other players, but the long term look scouts are going to provide will make that a tough decision. Plus you would have to live with the constant comparisons. I like Drouin quite a bit but I certainly don't wish this on him if it happens, I don't see it ending well even if he is the very good player I think he will be. I just think the other two wind up better and defending it will be near impossible.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 02:27 AM
The Nuge
Global Moderator
Some Say...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Tools, tools, tools.

Jones has NHL tools like no other Dman in this tournament has. He makes Hamilton look so average in terms of NHL prospect.
Agreed. And that's certainly saying something with how good Hamilton is. I've said for a while now that Jones has the potential to be elite at basically every aspect of the game. He's just tremendous in every zone (not saying he doesn't make mistakes... Any 18 year old dman will)

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 04:28 AM
Baggie

Started a new game in EHM07 a few weeks ago, Drouin went 1st overall. Coincidence? I think not

Baggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 05:19 AM
IFK

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Jones is the best defensman at this tournament.
I don't agree this. Trouba, Rielly and Ristolainen is same page, maybe some other D also. To next year draft, i don't see that Jones is much better than Ristolainen.

Also, lot of can changes to next draft and there is some consensus, but not that big gap against top players, this draft is so deep!

For me TOP10 looks now like this, but there is 6 months left so anything can happen.

1. Mackinnon
2. Barkov
3. Jones
4. Drouin
5. Lindholm
6. Ristolainen
7. Monahan
8. Lazar
9. Shinkaruk
10. Domi

IFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 07:17 AM
Sundinisagod
Sniper

Not 1st overall but I think Drouin has worked his way into the current top 3.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 08:49 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

It's possible Drouin could go first overall. You just don't know what teams will do. Personally, I think Barkov is the best of the bunch this year. That's not to say MacKinnon and Drouin are less talented than Barkov, I just think Barkov has the advantage in that he's playing against men and doing really well. The nice thing about the draft this year is that you really can't go wrong with choosing one of Barkov, MacKinnon, Drouin or Jones with the first overall choice. The difference between the four is really minimal. After the top four is where the choices will start to get interesting......

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 08:52 AM
Richiebottles
( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Granny View Post
Every shift ( although not many thanks to Spott) I have seen McKinnon at this years WJC has not let me to believe he shouldn't be a #1 pick.
To be fair, he wasnt really given the chance being on the 4rth line and all.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 09:20 AM
JL17

Mackinnon is a better all round player then Drouin at this point... plus MacK produces just as much as Drouin.

I like them both at this moment but my first pick would be MacKinnon.

JL17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 09:24 AM
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypool View Post
Still don't think you can pass on a defenseman like Jones.
Well, the one big argument I'd have for taking Mac over him is contract control. It won't take Mac long to develop to be a top NHL player, with Jones you could be waiting until he's 23-24. If UFA rules are like they were in the last CBA when we come out of this, you'd be looking at spending 4-5 years of his contract control waiting for him to pan out. It's no guarantee that either Jones or Mac would re-sign (though it's extremely likely) so you can either have 2-3 years of a prime #1 dman capable of being top 10 at the position, or you can have 5-6 years of a #1 center capable of being a top 10 at the position. Of course, any competent GM should be able to make it a focal point of building the team around either guy and doing everything in their power in keeping them, just showing how it could easily be the logical move to take the prime forward over the prime dman in the draft.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 09:34 AM
Call me Suds

I figured if Mackinnon made the team Drouin would too but I figured it would be to play together lol

Drouin has great hands and throws the puck to the net every chance he gets but I find every time he's doing something, he's standing still. That can work in junior when your hands are so quick but it doesn't translate to the NHL unless you have a Joe Thornton frame.

He still has plenty of time to develop but hopefully whoever picks him lets him develop properly and doesn't rush him to the NHL.

Call me Suds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 09:34 AM
Trap Jesus

Drouin is definitely helping his draft stock at this tournament whereas Mackinnon is hurting his. I still don't think it's enough to sway my opinion though.

I'd take Jones first overall though.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 09:42 AM
daver

Quote:
Originally Posted by KovalSNIPE View Post
Everyone is saying that MacKinnon is the consensus number 1 pick this upcoming draft with Jones at a close 2nd, but does anyone think Drouin can go 1st?

He has a better PPG average (2.00, MacKinnon: 1.73) and only has 4 less points in 6 less games. Has only 3 less goals while taking 65 less shots. He is better offensively, plus, he is outplaying MacKinnon in the WJC who is listed as their 13th forward.
Don't know if he'll go 1st but crazy to think he wasn't even playing in the CHL last year now he's 1st line on the WJC team, in a lockout year too.

daver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 09:43 AM
Call me Suds

Quote:
Originally Posted by daver View Post
Don't know if he'll go 1st but crazy to think he wasn't even playing in the CHL last year now he's 1st line on the WJC team, in a lockout year too.
We wasn't playing in the CHL because he didn't want to report lol it's not like he didn't make the team

Call me Suds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 10:02 AM
bsmith14

The first teir seems to be MacKinnon, Drouin, Jones and Barkov. I think there will be a lot of teams interested in trading into that top 4.

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 10:07 AM
bsmith14

The more I watch of Drouin, the more I see Eberle in him.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:10 AM
omnicronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
Drouin is definitely helping his draft stock at this tournament whereas Mackinnon is hurting his.
Drouin has been playing great and has earned his 1st line spot based on his play, but you people really need to remember how much depth Canada has under center. Canada just lacks depth at LW, and this is the main reason that Drouin is getting top 6 minutes.

So has Drouins stock risen? Without a doubt, but I REALLY have my doubts that Mackinnons play has hurt him in the slightest. He has looked very good in the few minutes he has had the chance the play on a team that is very strong down the middle.

Mackinnon/Jones are the top two right now , that is pretty much undebatable. Does Drouin have a chance to dislogdge one of the two? Sure anything is possible, but if the draft were today that would most likely not be the case.

omnicronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 10:12 AM
bsmith14

MacKinnon has not hurt his stock. MAKING the team was a big deal. Spott doesn't give MacKinnon much ice time or use him much at all so its not Nathans fault. I think he has looked good in the limited shifts he has got. It is very hard for a 17 year old to hurt their draft stock at this tournament.

Old
12-31-2012, 10:32 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Calm down there folks, he aint the #1 pick. All the halifax fans would agree with me when they see this lol.

12-31-2012, 10:35 AM
MISC*

Jones
Drouin
MaKinnon
Barkov

MISC* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 10:39 AM
Stamkos Intolerant
Here comes the $$$

Absolutely, I strongly believe Drouin will top out as a Giroux-calibre player. He has a workhorse attitude to match his skill.

Stamkos Intolerant is offline   Reply With Quote