HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Drouin...1st overall pick?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-31-2012, 04:01 PM
  #126
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,166
vCash: 500
I know it is a small sample size, but I have not been impressed with MacKinnon at the WJC. I realize he is playing a different role, but it was Drouin and not MacKinnon that progressed in this tournament to the point of #1 line. That says something right there. A lot can happen you know, the WJC have two games left for Canada and there is the rest of the Q season including the playoffs and the way Halifax is playing maybe even the Memorial Cup. Time will tell. I will say one thing though, Drouin wouldn't be the first player who had the WJC elevate him. It happened to Heatley in 2000 and Fleury in 2003. Both Stamkos and Doughty played well in 2008 so it didn't matter there.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 04:06 PM
  #127
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoLu7ioN View Post
It's still far to early to label Schroeder a bust, he just turned 22.
His time is running out really quick though.

His progression, or lack of it, in the AHL is downright trending to bust status soon though.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 04:07 PM
  #128
Undertakerqc
Registered User
 
Undertakerqc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
I believe Drouin has better hockey smarts then Mackinnon. Mackinnon is pure skill and speed.

Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 06:38 PM
  #129
IFK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 587
vCash: 500
We should also remember that Nathan MacKinnon and Sasha Barkov are almost year younger than other players who are "now" in top 10. Barkov and Mac birthday's are actually very close that they draft year would be 2014. In their age one year is a lot, actually half a year is also much to grow to be a better player in this age. M & B will better players next years U20 than what Drouin, Jones, Ristolainen and Lindholm was this year, they will be also better what Forsberg and some other top draftet prospects was this year.

IFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 07:27 PM
  #130
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFK View Post
We should also remember that Nathan MacKinnon and Sasha Barkov are almost year younger than other players who are "now" in top 10. Barkov and Mac birthday's are actually very close that they draft year would be 2014. In their age one year is a lot, actually half a year is also much to grow to be a better player in this age. M & B will better players next years U20 than what Drouin, Jones, Ristolainen and Lindholm was this year, they will be also better what Forsberg and some other top draftet prospects was this year.
since they switched the draft year from calender year Jan-Dec to what they have now is there any evidence to what you are suggesting here?

I have heard this brought up but no one ever provides any evidence of it.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 07:38 PM
  #131
IFK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 587
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
since they switched the draft year from calender year Jan-Dec to what they have now is there any evidence to what you are suggesting here?

I have heard this brought up but no one ever provides any evidence of it.
I didn't notice that they have switched that for eligible players? And what evidence to you need?

IFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 07:42 PM
  #132
Backlund
Registered User
 
Backlund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,777
vCash: 50
Drouin will go top 5, but 1st wil be Mackinnon, Jones or possibly Barkov.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 07:54 PM
  #133
Sideline
Registered User
 
Sideline's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,975
vCash: 500
I don't pretend to know anything about the top guys other than Mackinnion and Drouin, but as someone that's watched both guys play a fair amount I like Drouin better. He thinks the game at another level. His puck control and evasiveness are Datsyuk-ian.

Sideline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 08:07 PM
  #134
Lay Z Boy GM
Registered User
 
Lay Z Boy GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: West coast
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlund View Post
Drouin will go top 5, but 1st wil be Mackinnon, Jones or possibly Barkov.
We'll see how the rest of the season plays out, but right now I think Drouin looks like the best in his draft class. I'd take him over Barkov anyway and that's not a slight on Barkov.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 08:14 PM
  #135
SvenBartschi27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 304
vCash: 500
I was thinking the exact same thing but it also highly depends on who is drafting, but for a team like the Flames (who probably won't select in top 3 wether the lockout continues or not. 4th-9th overall?) seeing that MacKinnon and Jones likely will be gone, Drouin at 4 is perfectly fine with me. Although for a team like the Sabres at 1 (Lockout draft, luck) who need some size it is easy to take Mackinnon over Drouin or Jones. My bet is on June 29th MacKinnon is wearing a Blue Jackets jersey, and Jones in an Oilers if there is a shortened season, for a lockout it could be anyone.

SvenBartschi27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 08:29 PM
  #136
Lay Z Boy GM
Registered User
 
Lay Z Boy GM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: West coast
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,301
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenBartschi27 View Post
I was thinking the exact same thing but it also highly depends on who is drafting, but for a team like the Flames (who probably won't select in top 3 wether the lockout continues or not. 4th-9th overall?) seeing that MacKinnon and Jones likely will be gone, Drouin at 4 is perfectly fine with me. Although for a team like the Sabres at 1 (Lockout draft, luck) who need some size it is easy to take Mackinnon over Drouin or Jones. My bet is on June 29th MacKinnon is wearing a Blue Jackets jersey, and Jones in an Oilers if there is a shortened season, for a lockout it could be anyone.
Good point. It's kind of weird having 3-4 guys that could go #1, and it might just come down to who's picking 1st. Jones probably would go to EDM if we were in that position, we need a player like him more than we need another forward. Although having MacKinnon or Barkov as a #2 center wouldn't be too shabby.

MacKinnon would look great in Columbus, but so would any of those 4 players. Jones and Murray would be a great top pairing in a couple years.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 10:17 PM
  #137
Jetsfareast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Philippines
Country: Canada
Posts: 443
vCash: 695
McKinnon 1st, depending the need of the team who picks 2nd
Pittsburgh? They'd ill pick Drouin
Philadelphia? They'll pick Jones
Calgary they will pick Barkov

Jetsfareast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 10:24 PM
  #138
Greeningfan14
Registered User
 
Greeningfan14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,702
vCash: 500
He's good enough, but I don't think he'll go 1st.

Greeningfan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 10:54 PM
  #139
SauceHockey
Retired
 
SauceHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: p
Country: Tokelau
Posts: 4,002
vCash: 500
He has the talent level to deserve to be in the discussion but I doubt any GM takes a rsik with players like Jones and Mckinnon

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 11:05 PM
  #140
mattihp
Registered User
 
mattihp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Årsta
Country: Finland
Posts: 14,716
vCash: 50
Nah. He's benefitting too much of playing with Dunlop and Braden.

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 11:52 PM
  #141
GetThePuckOut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 5,344
vCash: 1081
I think Drouin's case will only get stronger, as Mooseheads are poised to far in the playoffs and possibly contend for the Memorial Cup. He'll be getting lots of exposure at the end of the year, and if he's still outproducing MacKinnon like he has been all year, he'll be outshining him on the big stage for the second time this year, which will make a big impression on scouts. He's put his name into the discussion at the WJC's, but the playoffs and Memorial Cup is where he has a chance to steal the #1 spot.

As for Jones, he's hard to project because of the contrast between his awesome physical tools and his mistakes. He reminds me of Phaneuf (albeit more gifted) in that he's physically a stud but has questionable decision making. He's looked as bad at times as he has good.

GetThePuckOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 01:33 AM
  #142
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFK View Post
I didn't notice that they have switched that for eligible players? And what evidence to you need?
Players used to get drafted in the year they turned 18, Jan 1-Dec 31st then they switched it to the current system.

Under the older system more players came from the earlier months to succeed in the NHL than from Nov and Dec.

Under the new system late birthdays from the previous year compete with September (30th?, not sure exact date off the top of my head) birthdays thus causing the 1 year older confusion or question.


I just haven't seen any evidence of the age difference except hat younger players (late in the year birthdays) do seem to do better overall in the end.

All players are still within a one year range they just switched it from a Calender year into another 365 day year.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 02:24 AM
  #143
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING
 
BLASPHEMOUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Sherbrooke
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,336
vCash: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
If it was about PURE skill, Drouin would likely go first. The problem is, the draft is about skill and whether it can translate to the NHL level. The NHL is a brutal league from a physical standpoint and what Drouin is great at will NOT happen in the NHL. He won't be able to dangle around and stick handle the way he is right now - he'll get laid out time and time again in the NHL. Mackinnon and Jones' game will likely translate given their style and size. Drouin's may or may not, but more of a bust factor.
I agree with this post to an extent.

MacKinnon seems like the kind of player that can give a team and identity. He's a centreman, he plays physical when needed, he has terrific hands, skating and shooting abilities. I think his game translates to the NHL. I also love the amount of judging that is going on because of four games. Reminds me of what is so laughable about HF, and coincidentally why I love it so much.

This comes from a Drouin supporter. Sometimes I am on the mark, sometimes I'm not. I was a big fan of Drouin heading into the season, and thought that he'd make his way up the ladder because he has tons of natural talent. I really hope the Habs can get him to play with Galchenyuk.

By the same token, I will also say that MacKinnon is a guaranteed star player in the NHL, barring the unforeseen, and that I would only consider Jones as a #1 option otherwise at this point in time. It's not all about pure talent: I see a fire in MacKinnon.


Last edited by BLASPHEMOUS: 01-01-2013 at 02:39 AM.
BLASPHEMOUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 03:36 AM
  #144
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,626
vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfareast View Post
McKinnon 1st, depending the need of the team who picks 2nd
Pittsburgh? They'd ill pick Drouin
Philadelphia? They'll pick Jones
Calgary they will pick Barkov
If its Calgary, they'd probably take Domi and Feaster would ramble on about how amazed he is everyone had him so low, and that he's the best player... Blah blah... His father... Blah blah...

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 05:30 AM
  #145
Backlund
Registered User
 
Backlund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,777
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
If its Calgary, they'd probably take Domi and Feaster would ramble on about how amazed he is everyone had him so low, and that he's the best player... Blah blah... His father... Blah blah...
ignorant Oilers fan.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 09:22 AM
  #146
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,244
vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endersoldier View Post
I agree with this post to an extent.

MacKinnon seems like the kind of player that can give a team and identity. He's a centreman, he plays physical when needed, he has terrific hands, skating and shooting abilities. I think his game translates to the NHL. I also love the amount of judging that is going on because of four games. Reminds me of what is so laughable about HF, and coincidentally why I love it so much.

This comes from a Drouin supporter. Sometimes I am on the mark, sometimes I'm not. I was a big fan of Drouin heading into the season, and thought that he'd make his way up the ladder because he has tons of natural talent. I really hope the Habs can get him to play with Galchenyuk.

By the same token, I will also say that MacKinnon is a guaranteed star player in the NHL, barring the unforeseen, and that I would only consider Jones as a #1 option otherwise at this point in time. It's not all about pure talent: I see a fire in MacKinnon.
People who watch the Q are contending that Drouin has been the better player from the start of the season. Drouin does have a higher ppg than Mackinnon this year in Halifax and has clearly outplayed Mackinnon at the selection camp, pre-tourney games, and now in the tournament itself.

While I am not one of those who can speak with authourity on the issue, Ive only seen a few Halifax games this year, saying that people are drawing their conclusions after watching four games seems rather dubious.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 09:44 AM
  #147
John Druce
Flynt Flossy
 
John Druce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Did I mention that..
Country: Norway
Posts: 1,452
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
I know it is a small sample size, but I have not been impressed with MacKinnon at the WJC. I realize he is playing a different role, but it was Drouin and not MacKinnon that progressed in this tournament to the point of #1 line. That says something right there. A lot can happen you know, the WJC have two games left for Canada and there is the rest of the Q season including the playoffs and the way Halifax is playing maybe even the Memorial Cup. Time will tell. I will say one thing though, Drouin wouldn't be the first player who had the WJC elevate him. It happened to Heatley in 2000 and Fleury in 2003. Both Stamkos and Doughty played well in 2008 so it didn't matter there.
You are out to lunch. Heatley and Doughty never played in the WJC's until AFTER their respective draft years.

John Druce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 10:48 AM
  #148
Narcissus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 23
vCash: 500
Wrong on Doughty, he made the jump from ohl to nhl after being drafted. Where did he find time to play in wjcs after draft?

Narcissus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 10:50 AM
  #149
Ogopogo*
 
Ogopogo*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini View Post
I take Jones over anybody.

Defenseman like him dont come along that often.
Actually, defensemen like him come along every year. Or, are you playing the race card?

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 10:54 AM
  #150
Ogopogo*
 
Ogopogo*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,214
vCash: 500
People tend to overrate players who have a good WJC. It is two weeks - that's it. Anybody can have a good two weeks, those who play well over six months are the ones I want.

Maybe Drouin is that player too but, I would still take MacKinnon at 1.

Ogopogo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.