HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Drouin...1st overall pick?

Old
01-01-2013, 10:56 AM
toewsintangibles

vCash: 500
Droun is clearly the most dominant player at this draft

toewsintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 11:40 AM
JackSlater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
So because his dad practiced his ass off to make the NBA, Seth automatically acquires all of his skills through genetics? I'm also not sure why these skills translate to success in hockey, but if this is what does it for you then go with it.
I suspect that many of the people who praise Jones for his supposedly amazing athletic ability have never seen his father, the immortal Popeye Jones, play basketball. Popeye made it in the NBA on toughness and good size for his position, certainly not athletic ability. I would say that almost any prospect with a father who played in the NHL would be similarly lucky, genetically speaking, if not more so than Jones.

I've seen a decent number of Halifax games this year, and although Drouin is out producing MacKinnon on a per game basis it is clear that MacKinnon is the player driving the bus for Halifax. MacKinnon opens up more opportunities for Drouin to succeed than the other way around. This doesn't mean that Drouin isn't a first overall type talent though, because he certainly seems to be one.

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 11:59 AM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
Actually, defensemen like him come along every year. Or, are you playing the race card?
actualy guys who are 6'4" and are already very strong and as domiant as he can be at both ends of the ice don't come along very often at all.

It's the toal package of size, strength, skating ability, hockey sense and his presence on the ice that is so rare for a blueliner being so developed at his age.

Hedman and doughty were close but Jones is more advanced at the same stage of all 3 guys careers, that's how good he is.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 12:01 PM
Codith

Drouin will be an 80-90 point NHLer, I see Mac being a 70-80. Depends what kind if player you really want. I have watches nearly every moosehead game this year, and from people I have talked to in the league, as well as trainers in the NHL, Drouin is intriguing people right now more than Mac.

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 12:15 PM
Money Baer
COYS

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlund View Post
ignorant Oilers fan.
Wouldn't expect anything less from him. Makes the Oiler fans look bad.

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 12:17 PM
Money Baer
COYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfareast View Post
McKinnon 1st, depending the need of the team who picks 2nd
Pittsburgh? They'd ill pick Drouin
Philadelphia? They'll pick Jones
Calgary they will pick Barkov
Calgary would more than likely select Nate MacKinnon.

Old
01-01-2013, 12:46 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
People who watch the Q are contending that Drouin has been the better player from the start of the season. Drouin does have a higher ppg than Mackinnon this year in Halifax and has clearly outplayed Mackinnon at the selection camp, pre-tourney games, and now in the tournament itself.

While I am not one of those who can speak with authourity on the issue, Ive only seen a few Halifax games this year, saying that people are drawing their conclusions after watching four games seems rather dubious.
For context, I've seen Halifax play eight times this season. Wish it were more, but night classes can be a *****.

Some Halifax watchers do say that, which is fair. I'll disagree with them a bit: I think Drouin has been a bit more consistent offensively, but he does not hit or defend as well as MacKinnon. That being said, Drouin has been terrific all year.

I also think that at the NHL level, MacKinnon will transition easier and will be the better overall player. Drouin could very well be a point-getter, but MacKinnon has a more complete package of skills, and as you move up to the pros, I think that becomes an important aspect to look at.

And the reason I suggest that a lot of people are switch their opinion based on four games is simple: how old is this Drouin for #1 thread? How many people actually do watch Halifax on a consistent basis? This is hf, so pardon me if you feel this suspicion is of dubious nature.

Last edited by BLASPHEMOUS: 01-01-2013 at 12:52 PM.
BLASPHEMOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 12:53 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codith View Post
Drouin will be an 80-90 point NHLer, I see Mac being a 70-80. Depends what kind if player you really want. I have watches nearly every moosehead game this year, and from people I have talked to in the league, as well as trainers in the NHL, Drouin is intriguing people right now more than Mac.
An interesting comment, and I do not doubt it. In fact, this is to be expected: MacKinnon has been in the limelight for so long that it was only a matter of time before this happened. Reminds me of the 2009 draft a bit.

Old
01-01-2013, 12:55 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endersoldier View Post
An interesting comment, and I do not doubt it. In fact, this is to be expected: MacKinnon has been in the limelight for so long that it was only a matter of time before this happened. Reminds me of the 2009 draft a bit.
A bit like Couturier as well, no?

01-01-2013, 12:59 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
A bit like Couturier as well, no?
Good point, although obviously not to quite the same extent. MacKinnon is not going to drop to #8, no way it happens. Couturier did get bit by the WJC, however, when he played in a more limited defensive role. Opinions started shifting quickly after that, even before the mono came to be.

Old
01-01-2013, 01:42 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I think a lot of it we come down to the team who has the first pick and what they feel they need.

This isn't like last year where Yakupov was way better than anyone else and the Oilers simply had to take him even though they didn't necessarily need him.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 01:43 PM
shello
@WShello9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endersoldier View Post
What I've been thinking for a while now Drouin is just really the "shiny new toy" for most outside of Quebec and they get tired of having the same old "Mackinnon 1st, Jones 2nd (or vise versa)". So with other players producing a lot and being showcased people jump on their bandwagon and start saying how better they are than the other two, to stir controversy or whatever.

Personally I don't have a problem with people doing it as long as they've seen them play multiple times, and can list and explain their reasons behind their thoughts, but when they only say it because of the WJC, and base it all on that that's when it can get irritating.

It fact like others have stated, it's happens almost every year or every year there's been a player that's been highly touted for a while and someone new comes along and starts producing at the same pace or more. Tavares, Couturier, are some of the most recent. To an extent you an even include Kessel in that mix, was pegged as the American's answer to Crosby but in is draft year (which if I remember correctly wasn't that great), his game was picked apart and the new kid EJ rocked up the charts.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 01:51 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlund View Post
ignorant Oilers fan.
It's a joke. Calm down. Feaster's done a pretty damn good job drafting, but it's funny to watch him gush over Jankowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogopogo View Post
Actually, defensemen like him come along every year. Or, are you playing the race card?
No, they really don't. He's got the potential to be the best dman in the NHL. It's been a LONG time since I've thought that

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 01:57 PM
12345*

Quote:
Originally Posted by toewsintangibles View Post
Droun is clearly the most dominant player at this draft
Drouin is dominant against players of mediocre size and mediocre defensive skill. Put him against NHL size and defence and that becomes a lot more questionable, given the majority of his game entails (which is circling and dangling).

12345* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 02:04 PM
Mr Writer

I'm just disappointed that at next year's WJHC in Sweden, we won't see a Drouin-McDavid-Mackinnon line.

Mr Writer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 02:14 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Writer View Post
I'm just disappointed that at next year's WJHC in Sweden, we won't see a Drouin-McDavid-Mackinnon line.
you can always hope for an extended lockout I guess.

Doubt all 3 would be on the same line anyways.

Hardyvan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 03:28 PM
Money Baer
COYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I think a lot of it we come down to the team who has the first pick and what they feel they need.

This isn't like last year where Yakupov was way better than anyone else and the Oilers simply had to take him even though they didn't necessarily need him.
I'd agree with the majority of this post. (i'll ignore the Edmonton needs part.)

It's hard to label the consensus BPA at 1st overall. I think it is very much "team need". If there is a lottery, and depending on who picks where, we could see some interesting/shocking picks. 2012 was one of the most unpredictable drafts I've seen, can't wait for 2013!

Old
01-01-2013, 04:11 PM
Luuuongo
Crabs!

Watching Youtube clips of him... wow.

Luuuongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 04:14 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12345 View Post
Drouin is dominant against players of mediocre size and mediocre defensive skill. Put him against NHL size and defence and that becomes a lot more questionable, given the majority of his game entails (which is circling and dangling).
Same old crap was said when Kane and RNH came through juniors, everyone says too weak and can't handle the physicality and bigger defenders but they shut all the doubters up.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 05:07 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Same old crap was said when Kane and RNH came through juniors, everyone says too weak and can't handle the physicality and bigger defenders but they shut all the doubters up.
Isn't RNH like 6'2?

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 05:10 PM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
you can always hope for an extended lockout I guess.

Doubt all 3 would be on the same line anyways.
Maybe not on the same line, but the first PP unit for sure. They would shred opposing defenses.

Mr Writer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 09:46 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

Drouin has sick hands, but so does Mackinnon.

Mackinnon is a complete player, and in this tournament is not being put in a position to succeed at all, which is a shame.

Put Mackinnon on one of the top two lines and watch him shine.

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 10:04 PM
heusy_79
! kool uoy edam

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Isn't RNH like 6'2?
Listed at 6'1 175 and has a noticeably thin frame. He'll still fill out a fair bit hopefully but he can clearly do special things out there either way.

heusy_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 10:32 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Isn't RNH like 6'2?
Meant the weak part and getting crushed by NHL physicality. People said he was too weak and needed to go back to junior for another year (I was half in that camp) but he ended up making guys like Weber and Duncan Keith look stupid out there.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 11:06 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Meant the weak part and getting crushed by NHL physicality. People said he was too weak and needed to go back to junior for another year (I was half in that camp) but he ended up making guys like Weber and Duncan Keith look stupid out there.
Yep. It's about the drive. I don't watch Drouin enough to confidently say either way, but Nuge doesn't shy away from anyone and if Drouin is even close to that, he'll be fine

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote