HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Group B • Dec. 31 • United States 9, Slovakia 3

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-30-2012, 07:47 PM
  #1
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country
 
Systemfel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,616
vCash: 50
Group B • Dec. 31 • United States 9, Slovakia 3

2013 IIHF U20 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP | GROUP B
DECEMBER 31, 2012
5:00 AM ET • 11:00 CET • 16:00 YEKT




Ufa Arena, Ufa, Bashkortostan, Russian Federation
(CAPACITY: 8,250)


United States
Official lineup.
Left WingCenterRight Wing
13 Johnny Gaudreau
10 J.T. Miller (A)
26 Jimmy Vesey
15 Alex Galchenyuk
7 Sean Kuraly
16 Riley Barber
12 Mario Lucia
25 Vincent Trocheck
22 Tyler Biggs
20 Blake Pietila
18 Cole Bardreau
23 Rocco Grimaldi
-
-
21 Ryan Hartman

Left DefenseRight Defense
6 Mike Reilly
5 Connor Murphy
14 Shayne Gostisbehere
8 Jacob Trouba
19 Jake McCabe (C)
3 Seth Jones (A)
27 Pat Sieloff
-

Starting GoalieBackup Goalie
35 John Gibson
30 Jon Gillies

ScratchesReason
G 29 Garret Sparks
Healthy

Slovakia
Official lineup.
Left WingCenterRight Wing
13 Tomáš Mikúš (A)
20 Martin Reway
19 Marko Daňo
18 Andrej Bíreš
25 Bruno Mráz
14 Richard Mráz
9 Milan Kolena
29 Matúš Matis
17 Michal Uhrík
26 Branislav Rapáč
27 Dominik Fujerík
10 Denis Hudec

Left DefenseRight Defense
21 Tomáš Nechala (A)
11 Peter Čerešňák
12 Emil Bagin
6 Tomáš Rusina
28 Karol Korím (C)
5 David Bajaník
24 Richard Búri
-

Starting GoalieBackup Goalie
2 Adam Nagy
30 Patrik Romančík

ScratchesReason
G 1 Richard Sabol
Healthy
D 16 Patrik Luža
Injury

Officials
--
Pavel Hodek
Mikael Nord
Raivis Jucers
Masi Puolakka


Last edited by Systemfel: 12-31-2012 at 06:09 AM.
Systemfel is online now  
Old
12-30-2012, 08:12 PM
  #2
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,378
vCash: 500

Xokkeu is offline  
Old
12-30-2012, 08:24 PM
  #3
William H Bonney
Registered User
 
William H Bonney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sierra Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 19,435
vCash: 500
Well, do-or-die time for Team USA. Let's see what they're made of.

__________________
"I have been complimented many times and they always embarrass me; I always feel that they have not said enough." - Mark Twain.
William H Bonney is offline  
Old
12-30-2012, 08:32 PM
  #4
RussianRocket10
Registered User
 
RussianRocket10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: Brazil
Posts: 3,640
vCash: 500
Will USA score 1 goal again? I sure hope not.

RussianRocket10 is online now  
Old
12-30-2012, 08:35 PM
  #5
Faterson
Registered User
 
Faterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bratislava
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 1,436
vCash: 500
OK, I'm predicting a win for Slovakia. We play so much better when we're the underdogs, and when we've got nothing to lose. I still remember how we defeated the US a few years ago when Janus stood on his head. I think Nagy is capable of doing that, too.

The other alternative is that it will be a blow-out for the US, due to Slovakia's bad tournament schedule. They played the late game last night, but must play the afternoon game today. Substantially less than 24 hours is hardly enough time to recover.

Faterson is offline  
Old
12-30-2012, 08:49 PM
  #6
AvsFan20
Bring back Downie
 
AvsFan20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Colorado
Country: United States
Posts: 3,676
vCash: 125
This is a MUST win for the U.S.

We have the fire power and the ability...but will we show up?

AvsFan20 is offline  
Old
12-30-2012, 08:55 PM
  #7
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight
 
Rabid Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: The Abyss
Country: United States
Posts: 19,285
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Well, do-or-die time for Team USA. Let's see what they're made of.
Not much more needs to be said.

Rabid Ranger is offline  
Old
12-30-2012, 09:00 PM
  #8
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Not much more needs to be said.
Off course more needs to be said, like this:

[Generic comment about Galchenyuk's beign misused, generally argued by a Habs fan]

and I hope nobody forget it!

PricePkPatch is online now  
Old
12-30-2012, 09:02 PM
  #9
bruinsfan46
Registered User
 
bruinsfan46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,108
vCash: 500
Gut check time for the US, I think they should handle the Slovaks something like 4-1.

bruinsfan46 is offline  
Old
12-30-2012, 09:18 PM
  #10
William H Bonney
Registered User
 
William H Bonney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sierra Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 19,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Not much more needs to be said.
Maybe the issue is that I haven't made a prediction in the games so far?

I'll say USA wins 5-2. An early goal gives some confidence and eases the nerves. Boys play loose.

William H Bonney is offline  
Old
12-30-2012, 09:29 PM
  #11
T_Cage
VP of Awesome
 
T_Cage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
OK, I'm predicting a win for Slovakia. We play so much better when we're the underdogs, and when we've got nothing to lose. I still remember how we defeated the US a few years ago when Janus stood on his head. I think Nagy is capable of doing that, too.

The other alternative is that it will be a blow-out for the US, due to Slovakia's bad tournament schedule. They played the late game last night, but must play the afternoon game today. Substantially less than 24 hours is hardly enough time to recover.
Plus Germany wore them out. I almost wonder if they played too hard against Germany when the US game was more important (even with a loss to the Germans they would have knocked out the Americans with a regulation win)

T_Cage is offline  
Old
12-30-2012, 09:31 PM
  #12
Faterson
Registered User
 
Faterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bratislava
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 1,436
vCash: 500
A reasonable score like 4-1 or 5-2 seems somehow unlikely to me. I say, blow-out or upset (or OT/SO win either way).

Faterson is offline  
Old
12-30-2012, 09:43 PM
  #13
Faterson
Registered User
 
Faterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bratislava
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 1,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Cage View Post
Plus Germany wore them out. I almost wonder if they played too hard against Germany when the US game was more important
I thought Slovaks definitely played the worst in the 3rd period (despite winning it). It certainly seemed as if their legs were getting heavy towards the end of the game against Germany. The optimistic explanation would be, as you say, that they were already thinking of the US game ahead of them. I don't think so, however. Calculating with an upset is just wrong, and it's not the Slovak way of thinking.

It wouldn't be the first time, however, that a long fought-for victory gives a team such a sudden boost of energy, enthusiasm and confidence, that they forget all about their fatigue for the next 24 hours. Which would be enough to defeat the US.

I think if the US can get an early lead of 2 or 3 goals, the game is over. I just don't think there'll be enough strength, physical or mental, for the Slovaks to stage another comeback win. If Slovaks manage to keep the score close or tied, however, then the game might remain a toss-up until the last minute of overtime.

Faterson is offline  
Old
12-30-2012, 10:32 PM
  #14
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,120
vCash: 500
Okay, first rule. DON'T SUCK.

SolidSnakeUS is online now  
Old
12-30-2012, 10:35 PM
  #15
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED
 
Giuseppe Sallo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oakville, Ontario.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,517
vCash: 500
Trouba is having an outstanding tourney, Jones' not so much. That being said, US takes this 4-1.

Giuseppe Sallo is offline  
Old
12-30-2012, 10:41 PM
  #16
Xokkeu
Registered User
 
Xokkeu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Frozen
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 4,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
I thought Slovaks definitely played the worst in the 3rd period (despite winning it). It certainly seemed as if their legs were getting heavy towards the end of the game against Germany. The optimistic explanation would be, as you say, that they were already thinking of the US game ahead of them. I don't think so, however. Calculating with an upset is just wrong, and it's not the Slovak way of thinking.

It wouldn't be the first time, however, that a long fought-for victory gives a team such a sudden boost of energy, enthusiasm and confidence, that they forget all about their fatigue for the next 24 hours. Which would be enough to defeat the US.

I think if the US can get an early lead of 2 or 3 goals, the game is over. I just don't think there'll be enough strength, physical or mental, for the Slovaks to stage another comeback win. If Slovaks manage to keep the score close or tied, however, then the game might remain a toss-up until the last minute of overtime.
If we don't score in the first ten minutes then I think anything happens. The team will start freaking out and gripping their sticks too much. If the US gets an early goal then I think they will likely go on to win.

Xokkeu is offline  
Old
12-30-2012, 10:55 PM
  #17
Faterson
Registered User
 
Faterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bratislava
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 1,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
If the US gets an early goal then I think they will likely go on to win.
One-goal difference means nothing, I think. It's not enough to discourage Slovaks, even if it's an early goal. Two or three early goals, or a 2-3 goal differential at any point in the game, might break their stamina, however, so that additional goals might then come easily for the US.

Faterson is offline  
Old
12-30-2012, 10:57 PM
  #18
William H Bonney
Registered User
 
William H Bonney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sierra Nevada
Country: United States
Posts: 19,435
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
One-goal difference means nothing, I think. It's not enough to discourage Slovaks, even if it's an early goal. Two or three early goals, or a 2-3 goal differential at any point in the game, might break their stamina, however, so that additionl goals might then come easily for the US.
I think his point has less to do with Slovakia and more to do with an early goal giving the American offense a jump start.

William H Bonney is offline  
Old
12-30-2012, 10:59 PM
  #19
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 2,767
vCash: 500
I think USA wins this one 5 - 0.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
The other alternative is that it will be a blow-out for the US, due to Slovakia's bad tournament schedule. They played the late game last night, but must play the afternoon game today. Substantially less than 24 hours is hardly enough time to recover.
Come on, don't make up excuses. They'll have 4 hours and 30 minutes more rest than the US team that played a much tougher and physical opponent.

Ryker is offline  
Old
12-30-2012, 11:06 PM
  #20
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK
 
GregSirico's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,687
vCash: 500
Win or go home

GregSirico is offline  
Old
12-30-2012, 11:06 PM
  #21
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: Germany
Posts: 33,123
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
One-goal difference means nothing, I think. It's not enough to discourage Slovaks, even if it's an early goal. Two or three early goals, or a 2-3 goal differential at any point in the game, might break their stamina, however, so that additional goals might then come easily for the US.
Well I don't know about those guys but when I was 17, 18 years old I was bouncing off walls and ****. Rest? lol what's rest?

Machinehead is offline  
Old
12-30-2012, 11:22 PM
  #22
Faterson
Registered User
 
Faterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bratislava
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 1,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Come on, don't make up excuses. They'll have 4 hours and 30 minutes more rest than the US team that played a much tougher and physical opponent.
Erm, what? It's the other way round, of course. The US team has 4.5 hours more rest than Slovakia.

Also, for Slovakia, this was their Game of the Year, because everyone kept hammering into them for many months, that even if they lose all games in the preliminary group, it's OK as long as they defeat Germany. It's not easy to bear such must-win pressure, especially for the Slovak mentality, and it showed on the ice last night.

Whereas for the US, I think the game against Canada -- although highly prestigious and competitive -- was "just another game" in this tournament, and winning or losing it didn't really settle anything. It wasn't the play-offs yet.

Faterson is offline  
Old
12-30-2012, 11:26 PM
  #23
Killahpunk
Legend
 
Killahpunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Eastern Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,867
vCash: 944
Marko Daňo has been good for the Slovaks. I believe the US should take this 4-1.

Killahpunk is offline  
Old
12-30-2012, 11:34 PM
  #24
Faterson
Registered User
 
Faterson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bratislava
Country: Slovakia
Posts: 1,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killahpunk View Post
Marko Daňo has been good for the Slovaks.
Potential first-round NHL draft pick, they say? Well, if he buries a couple in the US goal today, it might happen.

Faterson is offline  
Old
12-30-2012, 11:37 PM
  #25
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 24,221
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Erm, what? It's the other way round, of course. The US team has 4.5 hours more rest than Slovakia.

Also, for Slovakia, this was their Game of the Year, because everyone kept hammering into them for many months, that even if they lose all games in the preliminary group, it's OK as long as they defeat Germany. It's not easy to bear such must-win pressure, especially for the Slovak mentality, and it showed on the ice last night.

Whereas for the US, I think the game against Canada -- although highly prestigious and competitive -- was "just another game" in this tournament, and winning or losing it didn't really settle anything. It wasn't the play-offs yet.
Ugh. You're predicting a win for Slovakia, but if the US wins it's because Slovakia is tired from playing Germany? The excuses are flying early, aren't they?

Sojourn is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.