HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Group B • Dec. 31 • Russia 1, Canada 4 • Part II

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2012, 11:36 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bure View Post
Canada is better at putting the puck in the net then, just because Russia is selective about their shots doesn't mean that the shooting percentage is going to be higher. They can take 3 shots in a game and miss all of them.
So Canada is not only better, but plays a smarter game? You would think a team that isn't as good at scoring would want to shoot more.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:36 AM
Cam98

Russia continues there typical play vs Switzerland/Sweden they will not be going to Gold Medal game, thats for sure.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:37 AM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Canada is better at putting the puck in the net then, just because Russia is selective about their shots doesn't mean that the shooting percentage is going to be higher. They can take 3 shots in a game and miss all of them.
Canada is better at putting the puck in the net because they play as a team in the offensive zone.

Dangles are pretty but they aren't very good at getting the job done for the vast majority of hockey players.

Old
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Fingerhat View Post
My hunch is that he missed the rest of the period to get stitched up and they used the hit as an opportunity to do so.
I agree.

If you look at the Canadian player after the hit, he motions to the ref and is pointing to blood on the ice.

That would suggest to me that the cut opened up and they decided to stitch it rather than use the glue.

Old
Bure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada4Gold View Post
so Canada is better at scoring while taking stupider shots? I guess that's why we beat you then

Your argument makes no sense
When did I say canada takes stupid shots? I said they throw everything at net. That doesn't meant those are bad shots.

What isn't their to understand, Russia is selective about the shots they take in general.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:38 AM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

Quote:
When did I say canada takes stupid shots? I said they throw everything at net. That doesn't meant those are bad shots.

What isn't their to understand, Russia is selective about the shots they take in general.
Seems to be working well for them

Old
12-31-2012, 11:38 AM
Canada4Gold

Btw Bure, you could agrue that in a couple games that yes the high % shots that the russians take are just not going in for whatever reason. But when you get a sample size of 4 straight tournaments and Canada has the highest shooting % in all of them then it's not just bad luck that the russians good shots are not going in, it's the fact that Canada are taking higher % shots. Deal with it

Old
12-31-2012, 11:39 AM
TSA0402

Quote:

Not looking like a very good formula right now.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:39 AM
Taco Fingerhat

vCash: 3754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada4Gold View Post
but when he got cut they didn't stitch him up then, therefore clearly if they used that time to stitch him up the hit from behind must have made the cut worse, not to mention the other injuries he suffered, nobody noticed the bruises on his face?

Also injury don't even matter, that was a terrible hit, deserved 5 and a game whether he got carried off on a stretcher, or if he got up thanked the russian and gave him a kiss, the hit was game misconduct worthy either way
Yeah, I think they were trying to hold off on stitches until the intermission. But when the boarding hit happened, they just said '**** it, we'll do it now' The hit was obviously dirty, but I wouldn't be surprised if Wotherspoon was still able to play. That doesn't change anything, its just my hunch.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:40 AM
Canada4Gold

Quote:

If Canada throws 300 shots at the net from everywhere, and score 40 goals, and Russia throws 300 shots on net and scores 35 goals how exactly are your shots higher percentage shots?

Old
12-31-2012, 11:41 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

One thing I find funny is that on these boards, when Team Canada has lost in the past, most of us Canadian fans will come on here and just bag on every single player and every single screw-up they comitted in the losing game. The coaches are at fault, the program, the minor hockey system, this guy shouldn't be on the team, Visentine sucks, etc etc etc.

Russian fans, on the other hand, will suggest that their team is and was better even though they lost the game 4-1.

It's kind of funny how different we are, culturally speaking.

I think we should meet somewhere in the middle. We probably shouldn't be so hard on our players, and they shouldn't be so easy on theirs. But whatever, that's what makes it interesting I guess.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:41 AM
Canadian Chris

vCash: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Must be nice cheering for a good goalie Actually, Subban in the net reminds me a lot of a certain maligned NHL goalie. Very similar postures IMO.
I mentioned the same thing yesterday...both seem to overplay a bit, and then rely on superb athleticism to scramble back into play...

Maybe not as much of a good of a comparison now, but younger much maligned NHL goalie and Subban appear quite similar....

Old
12-31-2012, 11:42 AM
Canada4Gold

Ok I get it now.

Canada decides to fire 50 shots at the net that have a 15% chance to go in, while Russia takes 30 good shots that have a 10% chance to go in.

Keep doing that then, we'll beat you every time

Old
12-31-2012, 11:44 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Chris View Post
I mentioned the same thing yesterday...both seem to overplay a bit, and then rely on superb athleticism to scramble back into play...

Maybe not as much of a good of a comparison now, but younger much maligned NHL goalie and Subban appear quite similar....
I think both are great goalies, and both get too much crap than they deserve. And their playing styles appear similar. I also find it funny that shooters target both goalies glove sides.

12-31-2012, 11:44 AM
Shawnathon

We pretty much dominated Russia which was so relieving to see. It's great to see Subban has settled down. I really hope we can bring home the you know what.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:45 AM
Denning

Russia doesn't have Kuznestsov to single-handedly beat Canada this year. I think this shows how great Kuznetsov was for Russia in the last 2 WJC. Yakupov is good, but he's not on the level that Kuznestsov was.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:45 AM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnathon View Post
We pretty much dominated Russia which was so relieving to see. It's great to see Subban has settled down. I really hope we can bring home the you know what.
Nice jinx control.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:48 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denning View Post
Russia doesn't have Kuznestsov to single-handedly beat Canada this year. I think this shows how great Kuznetsov was for Russia in the last 2 WJC. Yakupov is good, but he's not on the level that Kuznestsov was.
They are different players. Given the right circumstances Yakupov will score a lot more goals than Kuznestsov over their careers.

As the quality of competition increases Yakupov's talents become more appealing but someone needs to set up his one timers.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:49 AM
Canadian Chris

vCash: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
I think both are great goalies, and both get too much crap than they deserve. And their playing styles appear similar. I also find it funny that shooters target both goalies glove sides.
won't get much argument from there. Also happy to see Subban playing like he's capable of!

Old
12-31-2012, 11:51 AM
Linden
[hello] :)

Enjoyable game to watch!

Looked like the Russians need to work out some better stradigies to break the Canadians, and I fully expect to see them in elimination again and they will bring a much better effort.

Ouelette is quickly becoming one of my favorites, as well as Strome

Drouin playing like a boss, kid is so slick

Glad Jenner came back with a strong game, that whole line played well and were physically dominant

Subban getting better and better

as someone who usually spearheads the anti-Murphy crusades, I thought he played well today which is nice to see

mackinnon has to be more disciplined though.

Old
12-31-2012, 11:54 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
One thing I find funny is that on these boards, when Team Canada has lost in the past, most of us Canadian fans will come on here and just bag on every single player and every single screw-up they comitted in the losing game. The coaches are at fault, the program, the minor hockey system, this guy shouldn't be on the team, Visentine sucks, etc etc etc.

Russian fans, on the other hand, will suggest that their team is and was better even though they lost the game 4-1.

It's kind of funny how different we are, culturally speaking.

I think we should meet somewhere in the middle. We probably shouldn't be so hard on our players, and they shouldn't be so easy on theirs. But whatever, that's what makes it interesting I guess.
Russian fans are hard on their players, they are just hard on their players in Russian and on their websites..

Old
12-31-2012, 11:55 AM
Bure

Russia's game plan is to take high percentage shots, whether they always execute the game plan or not is a different story.

Anyway's i'm done here for now.

Canada deserved the victory.

Russia needs to change their strategy and mix up the lines.

Happy new years guys and girls!

Old
12-31-2012, 11:58 AM
Bridges31
Goon? Lol

Continue here http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1314007

Closed Thread