HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Players that disappointed the most

Old
01-02-2013, 01:50 AM
KidLine93

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
So basically people think that every big name player not named RNH has been a disappointment.

You guys know there can be only one top scorer in the tournament?

Maybe you are overhyping everyone a bit?

Huberdeau and Galchenyuk are tied in 2nd place. Yakupov is Russia's best scorer. Rielly has four points in four games.

The **** was supposed to happen?
^Top comment

KidLine93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 02:14 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
JT Miller. I was hoping he'd step it up. He's been good on D and faceoffs, but I was expecting offense. I've seen him play loads better in the AHL.
For that matter we have seen him play better in a WJC, even while the rest of his team imploded. I am a little surprised in that I thought he was better last year. Not a trend you normal see going on with him.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 03:17 AM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
For that matter we have seen him play better in a WJC, even while the rest of his team imploded. I am a little surprised in that I thought he was better last year. Not a trend you normal see going on with him.
I've been critical of that whole top line. However, Miller played third and fourth line last year. He was suited for that role. Just because he is in the AHL and is a returning player doesn't mean he is suited to lead the offense. I feel Housely has ineffectively used him. He should be one of your shut down guys, just like returning Canadian Boone Jenner.

Nash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:54 AM
PJ StockBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbian Power View Post
No, not really... at least not in the first 3 games.

Harrington and Ouellete have been much better. You could argue for Reilly...
Ouellete has been better all around, very impressed with his play this tournament. Harrington has been solid defensively too. but i think people are nuts for thinking Hamilton is playing poorly or that he has been out shined by every other canadian defensemen. Hamilton wasn't great the first two games, but against USA and especially Russia he played his best two games and really stepped up defensively. i want to see more from him offensively, as does everyone, but his total game has been very good against the tougher competition.

as for reilly, he's a great skater, great with the puck and has good offensive instincts but i don't understand all the love he is getting. he seems shaky and weak in his own zone and i've seen him make some bad pinches. if he doesn't have the puck on his stick he doesn't do much. he had his two best games against germany and slovakia and didn't do much against USA or Russia.

remember, these guys are defensemen, DEFENSEmen, stress on the defense part. at the end of the Russia game when the game was tight it was reilly that got his shifts cut and Hamilton who got more playing time. too many people here want to judge defensemen by how many points they score, never made sense to me.

PJ StockBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:20 AM
Nordic*

Forsberg

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 07:30 AM
Interactif
Opinionist

Expected more from Faksa.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 08:00 AM
BobDobolina

David Musil. I had zero expectations but he flat out sucks.

BobDobolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 09:44 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Expected more from Faksa.
I'll agree with that, but for me it's just a continuation of his offensive struggles in Kitchener this year. I really expected more out of him than 25 points in 29 games in the OHL this year so the fact that he only has 2 points in 5 games in the WJC is not a big surprise, but a disappointment none the less.

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:16 AM
Atomos2
Attitude problems

vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ StockBB View Post
Ouellete has been better all around, very impressed with his play this tournament. Harrington has been solid defensively too. but i think people are nuts for thinking Hamilton is playing poorly or that he has been out shined by every other canadian defensemen. Hamilton wasn't great the first two games, but against USA and especially Russia he played his best two games and really stepped up defensively. i want to see more from him offensively, as does everyone, but his total game has been very good against the tougher competition.

as for reilly, he's a great skater, great with the puck and has good offensive instincts but i don't understand all the love he is getting. he seems shaky and weak in his own zone and i've seen him make some bad pinches. if he doesn't have the puck on his stick he doesn't do much. he had his two best games against germany and slovakia and didn't do much against USA or Russia.

remember, these guys are defensemen, DEFENSEmen, stress on the defense part. at the end of the Russia game when the game was tight it was reilly that got his shifts cut and Hamilton who got more playing time. too many people here want to judge defensemen by how many points they score, never made sense to me.
Offensively Rielly is the best out of all dman with limited ice time. There are a bunch of times that he does do a real good defensive play but everyone doesn't notice it. He's somewhat underrated defensively unless he makes a mistake. If you look back in the USA game, he stops a good rush by Galchenyuk or Slovakia game he broke up a 2 on 1.

Still, against Russia he had his worst game of the tournament IMO. It must be tough siting on the bench waiting until the defensive lines rotate twice over until you get your next shift and then having to stay mentally tough waiting while your body is cooling off. Then you have to factor in penalties.

The only times he had any flow of ice time was when we were down a couple goals against Slovakia...I think that's the only time we've been down in this tournament and he ended up getting a three point game.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:54 AM
tsujimoto74

Yakupov...I keep waiting for him to turn it on, but he just hasn't. He's put up OK point totals, I guess, but he's, at best, Russia's 3rd best forward in this tournament. He's got so much skill, but his hockey IQ has looked lacking so far.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 11:17 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

yakupov's been horrible.

i expect galchenyuk to be far more effective than he's been.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 11:23 AM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Faksa, Frk, Musil, Sedlak... Basically every czech player not named Jaskin/Hertl/Hyka.

Actually Frk didn't disappoint me since everybody knows about his stupid penalties - he just pissed me off.

But still - Jaskin+Hertl+Hyka line was fun to watch.

kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 11:32 AM
RorschachWJK

Armia, Salomäki, Yakupov.

Coach Rindell doesn't count because I can't say that I was surprised by his levels of suck...

RorschachWJK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 11:35 AM
Lacaar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Yakupov...I keep waiting for him to turn it on, but he just hasn't. He's put up OK point totals, I guess, but he's, at best, Russia's 3rd best forward in this tournament. He's got so much skill, but his hockey IQ has looked lacking so far.
I've watched Yakupov in the subway series and a couple of WJC games and to me I find he has trouble getting involved in the games or something I just can't explain. perhaps it's comfort level.

The only thing I can find consoling about his WJC is that he does manage to put up points looking out of place. Leaves me wondering/hoping what he could do if he was zoned into the game or whatever it is that's lacking. Glass half full version.

But yah from what i've seen from him he's been underwhelming considering the things i've heard and read about him.

I thought he'd be like a Taylor Hall where the puck just gravitates towards him but that's not proving to be the case. I think he'll be more of a Brett Hull type player where he just doesn't exist until he scores and makes a play.

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 11:43 AM
Moskau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I expect more from Yakupov, but I think the Russians are putting too much pressure on themselves playing at home (one wonders if the same thing will happen in Sochi 2014). Is there a reason why the Russian coaches never seem to pair Grigorenko + Yakupov together? I understand maybe they want two scoring lines, but if your big dogs aren't getting it done, maybe it's time to bring them together.
Girgorenko has been one of the best forwards in the entire tournament. I'm not sure what people want from him. Even before the Swiss game he's been one of the few if only Russian forwards to get involved in the play game in game out. The amount of highlight reel passes he makes each game that goes unnoticed because they aren't finished is unreal. He and Yakupov have never shown chemistry together. Yakupov would rather race the puck up the ice and shoot and Grigorenko would rather cycle the puck around and find a weakness.

Moskau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 12:17 PM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
I don't think so. Atleast from my viewpoint, that was the first thing that popped into my head whenever I watched him play. He has the ability to slow the play down, but he doesn't really do it. It is more about making a play and then getting open to receive the puck and then doing something with it. He's doing the same things in the world juniors as well except this time, it looks like he is not getting the puck as much, I'm not sure why.
I guess the clip below isn't quite slowing the play down, but it is an example of him being able to hold on to the puck, draw everyone to him and make a really nice pass: he's definitely a playmaker and not purely a goalscorer.

His goal against Germany is sort of slowing the play down where he maintains possession of the puck, walks around defenders, skirting the line then moves into the middle of the ice to either make a play or pass the puck. He buys a lot of time doing this.

Quote:
In terms of streakiness, he had a mediocre start to the season although I can attribute to his coming back from injury. [...] IMO when watching him, I'd say he's streaky. It's not a big thing, it just happens with prospects.
Not sure how streaky you can be when your mediocre start is 3pts in the first 4 games, and then proceed by scoring at a near 2PPG pace while only being held scoreless in maybe 4-5 games out of 33.

jedimyrmidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 12:18 PM
Kershaw

Yakupov, Galchenyuk, Murphy, MacKinnon.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 12:19 PM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Yakupov. It's really bumming me out how bad he's been. He's one of my favorite prospects.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 12:25 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortorella View Post
Yakupov, Galchenyuk, Murphy, MacKinnon.
what a laugh.

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 12:43 PM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
Girgorenko has been one of the best forwards in the entire tournament. I'm not sure what people want from him. Even before the Swiss game he's been one of the few if only Russian forwards to get involved in the play game in game out. The amount of highlight reel passes he makes each game that goes unnoticed because they aren't finished is unreal. He and Yakupov have never shown chemistry together. Yakupov would rather race the puck up the ice and shoot and Grigorenko would rather cycle the puck around and find a weakness.
Elite level passing. Sees the ice well, finds the open man and gets the puck on the tape all game long. He may have to work on other aspects of the game, but that seems to be an innate trait for him.

MacOfNiagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 01:01 PM
Atomos2
Attitude problems

vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
I guess the clip below isn't quite slowing the play down, but it is an example of him being able to hold on to the puck, draw everyone to him and make a really nice pass: he's definitely a playmaker and not purely a goalscorer.

His goal against Germany is sort of slowing the play down where he maintains possession of the puck, walks around defenders, skirting the line then moves into the middle of the ice to either make a play or pass the puck. He buys a lot of time doing this.

Not sure how streaky you can be when your mediocre start is 3pts in the first 4 games, and then proceed by scoring at a near 2PPG pace while only being held scoreless in maybe 4-5 games out of 33.

Ok, I don't know what you are trying to get at. I describe Galchenyuk playing a similar game to Seguin and Roy playing style and I consider them more as playmakers. When he has the puck in the offensive zone, than yes, he can do a variety of things but showing a couple highlights resulting in highlight reel goals and assists for Galchenyuk doesn't necessarily tell us about his overall playing style. It's about the times during the games when he doesn't have the puck, what he does to retrieve it or how he gets himself open to retrieve it that I'm talking about.

And if you want to look at stat sheets and discuss point totals than ok, you can be satisfied with his early play. But if I'm watching a game where a player isn't playing to his potential and looks invisible and basically not a threat at all and then you look at the scoresheet and find out he got a point, does it automatically make it better. I don't know about you, but I expected more from him and obviously looking at his games before the WJC he is capable of more. I've seen Galchenyuk in games at his best and not at his best. There is a huge difference in his style of play at those times.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 01:03 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskau View Post
I've been saying this since day 1- Grigorenko's game is more productive and consistent over a longer period of time than Yakupov's explosive game.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 01:21 PM
SephF
[b][/b]

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
David Musil. I had zero expectations but he flat out sucks.
I haven't got to watch any Czech games yet this year but he was terrific in the 2012 WJC. That's dissapointing to hear.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 01:28 PM
jedimyrmidon

Quote:
Ok, I don't know what you are trying to get at. I describe Galchenyuk playing a similar game to Seguin and Roy playing style and I consider them more as playmakers. When he has the puck in the offensive zone, than yes, he can do a variety of things but showing a couple highlights resulting in highlight reel goals and assists for Galchenyuk doesn't necessarily tell us about his overall playing style. It's about the times during the games when he doesn't have the puck, what he does to retrieve it or how he gets himself open to retrieve it that I'm talking about.

And if you want to look at stat sheets and discuss point totals than ok, you can be satisfied with his early play. But if I'm watching a game where a player isn't playing to his potential and looks invisible and basically not a threat at all and then you look at the scoresheet and find out he got a point, does it automatically make it better. I don't know about you, but I expected more from him and obviously looking at his games before the WJC he is capable of more. I've seen Galchenyuk in games at his best and not at his best. There is a huge difference in his style of play at those times.
The clips were meant to be examples of his playing style as opposed to outliers/exceptional plays. He performs those kinds of maneuvers often enough. I guess I just wanted to show examples of him as a puck possession type of player instead of a guy who typically makes quick plays. Anyways, I guess there isn't much more to discuss about this anyways.

And I agree it's fair enough to call him streaky in comparing his best games and his "worst" games. I guess that's sort of good in a way. Most of the time, being streaky and disappearing for games means a prospect doesn't produce points consistently, but with Gally he usually ends up getting points and so consistency becomes a question of always playing at an elevated level.

jedimyrmidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 01:36 PM
Yakushev72

For me, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins has been most disappointing. For all the hype, I was expecting to see a superstar performance with a lot of spectacular end-to-end rushes and a big pile of goals. Against Russia, he got 3 assists, but they weren't spectacular, "Wow, did you see that" types of assists. They were just routine, directing the puck toward your teammate kinds of assists. They count, but they were nothing special, and he was the guy who was supposed to deliver the special, no one else can do that type of play every game. Both he and Yakupov were No. 1 NHL draft choices, and I didn't see Nugent-Hopkins do anything that Yakupov couldn't do.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote