HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Players that disappointed the most

Old
01-03-2013, 10:24 AM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
team canada:

1. Murphy (not dissapointed really since i already knew he was gonna be bad)
2. Hamilton
3. Subban
4. Huberdeau
5. Danault
6. Ritchie
perfect list

-Murphy was brutal...rushes that led to nowhere

-Hamilton...supposed to be the best d-man in the CHL wasn't dominant and mostly invisible

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:36 AM
TylerSVT*

vCash: 1303
Murphy is horribad, so glad the Canes took him before the Flames had a chance (and we drafted Beartchi... woot!)

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:39 AM
TylerSVT*

vCash: 1303
Also to add:

Rattie: I figured he would be a good sniper in this tournament, but he is proving more and more that he is a one trick pony. I doubt he ever has a big career in the NHL.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:41 AM
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor

I'll stick with 'the entire 2012 draft, ex Trouba'. That's going to be the weakest draft in at least 10 years.

Also, Danault looked amazing in the selection camp but wasn't great on either side of the puck in the tournament.

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:44 AM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsBtn View Post
I'll stick with 'the entire 2012 draft, ex Trouba'. That's going to be the weakest draft in at least 10 years.

Also, Danault looked amazing in the selection camp but wasn't great on either side of the puck in the tournament.
You realize of course that the 1994s aren't even supposed to dominate this tournament, correct?

Nazem Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:14 AM
firewagon77*

Morgan Rielly typical over hyped leaf prospect,he showed nothing just like justin pogge,they were saying he was going to be the next great goaltender........we all saw how that turned out.

firewagon77* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:22 AM
SenzZen

Ty Rattie and Dougie Hamilton

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:30 AM
shaner89

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMHABS View Post
IMO it's team Canada. When you have players that were supposed to be in the NHL, you should at least made the finals.

Players who I was disappointed with:

1#.Nail Yakupov: Selfish puck hog who was making bad plays and doesn't use his line mates enough, from what I saw.

2#. Jonathan Huberdeau: Seemed disinterested and invisible against Russia and the USA.

3#. Dougie Hamilton: He played ok, but I expected more from him, especially with Murray injured.

4#. Filip Forsberg: Hasn't exactly been finishing on his opportunities and should be leading Sweden in scoring.

5#. Mikhail Grigorenko: Russia's best player, but hasn't been involved in the play and putting as many points for a high scoring team.

6#. Alex Galchenyuk: Quietly putting up points, tied for 3rd in tournament scoring and ahead of Yakupov, Huberdeau, Forsberg, etc. but tbh I expected more noise from Gally. As a Habs fan, I think he hasn't done enough to earn more ice time, although he played better today.

7#. Aleksander Barkov: For how dominant he has been in FEL, I expected him to put up better numbers and be a force for Finland.

8#. Nathan Mackinnon: Although he has been stuck on the 4th line, IMO he hasn't played well enough to earn more ice time.

9#. Ryan Strome: Was invisible against USA and for a returning player, he hasn't exactly been lighting the world on fire (same for Huberdeau and Schiefele)

10#. Mark Schiefele: Started off great, but he was bad against the USA and he along with Strome and Huberbeau should have more points and be dominant, but all three have looked invisible at times.
Best list yet

shaner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:39 AM
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
You realize of course that the 1994s aren't even supposed to dominate this tournament, correct?
You realize they all sucked bad?

If you're a top-10 pick in any draft, you need to be better than any of those guys.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:45 AM
Nazem Gretzky
Eller 4 Selke

Send a message via AIM to Nazem Gretzky
Quote:

If you're a top-10 pick in any draft, you need to be better than any of those guys.
Morgan Rielly: 5 games, 4 points, +4, only on for 1 goal against in all games played. If that is "sucking bad", then I'd hate to see your assessment of Dougie "Orr/Bourque" Hamilton.

Galchenyuk: 8 points in 6 games, can still end up as the tournament leading scorer before all is said and done. Yet, he too is "sucking bad"

Nazem Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:15 PM
jughead42

Of all the players I was disappointed in, Griffin Reinhart was the biggest surprise. For a guy who was taken as high as he was in the draft, ahead of some very good players, he looked like hot wet garbage every time I saw him. He's supposed to be some defensive wizard but i saw him fumble the puck weakly to the other team at his own blue line on a couple of occasions. I would say Murphy, but I've seen Murphy play in the OHL for a few years so his outrageously poor performance was not a shock at all. I knew we were in trouble when Spott was named HC, and it was cemented when his little buddy Murphy found his way onto the team. What a joke.

jughead42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:18 PM
Qrispy

Quote:
Morgan Rielly: 5 games, 4 points, +4, only on for 1 goal against in all games played. If that is "sucking bad", then I'd hate to see your assessment of Dougie "Orr/Bourque" Hamilton.

Galchenyuk: 8 points in 6 games, can still end up as the tournament leading scorer before all is said and done. Yet, he too is "sucking bad"

And how many of those points came against the big boys ie. Canada/USA/Russia?

Fact is, Rielly and Galchenyuk have been disappointing.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:22 PM
bsmith14

Quote:

Galchenyuk, Trouba, F Forsberg, Grigorenko, A Vasilevski, Sebastion Collberg, Jake McCabe all have had excellent tournaments, and a lot of them are eligible again next year.

EDIT: You were speaking about the 2012 draft in general right?

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:23 PM
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Rielly scored a 5-on-3 goal the bounced off the defenseman and a few second assists. His defense is/was substandard. He didn't make a single highlight play the entire tournament.

Sorry, he sucked bad. Certainly not the 'best player in the draft' player he's been touted as. Not by a longshot.

Old
01-03-2013, 12:32 PM
legendinblue
LEAFS SUCK

vCash: 50
From what I've seen Hamilton, Murphy.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:35 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Rielly scored a 5-on-3 goal the bounced off the defenseman and a few second assists. His defense is/was substandard. He didn't make a single highlight play the entire tournament.

Sorry, he sucked bad. Certainly not the 'best player in the draft' player he's been touted as. Not by a longshot.
lol you clearly weren't watching the same games as everyone else. Rielly was solid all tournament long, put up points and was constantly a top 3 D for Canada all tournament. Rielly, Harrington and Oullette were clearly the best D for Canada.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:36 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:

Not true. The top-5 should be better than anyone. After that, you're probably not dominant. The differences between 6-10 and 11-15 or overstated.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1298875

01-03-2013, 12:39 PM
Leafs at Knight
Fire Burn the Ice

Quote:

If Rielly sucked bad, then Hamilton **** the bed and couldn't get up.

Leafs at Knight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:42 PM
Trap Jesus

Huberdeau for me. He wasn't very impressive all tournament, but was inexcusably awful in the semi-final. Despite how poorly all of Team Canada played, he really stood out to me. For a 19 year old who is as hyped as he is, that's not acceptable.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:42 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Anyone ragging on Scheifele needs to give their head a shake. He is a centre being played out of position in this tournament; that is not his fault but rather is Spott's. For all the whining about him here I note that he is tied for the most goals scored by Team Canada and while playing in a position that is completely foreign to him.

Of course he looked a bit shaky on the wing; he isn't a winger.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:46 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeypuck191 View Post
Morgan Rielly typical over hyped leaf prospect,he showed nothing just like justin pogge,they were saying he was going to be the next great goaltender........we all saw how that turned out.
Lolwut

7even is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 01:02 PM
Small Brain Presence

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
I'm with the other poster on this one. After reading all the people in his hype thread I was expecting a Martin St. Louis clone out there. I've been very disappointed each game I've seen of him. He's been invisible for most of the time he's on the ice and hasn't impressed many people at all.
Yeah, I think you should have gone with me on this one. Especially when the other poster's contribution is "Gaudreau. sucks."

Small Brain Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 01:10 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

I'm not taking anyone mentioning Grigorenko in this thread seriously about anything ever.

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 01:12 PM
Hitchslap

vCash: 50
I'm not too surprised by guys like Murphy, Hamilton, and Huberdeau playing like garbage, but I was really disappointed to see Mackinnon look terrible out there. I know it's just a short tourney but he didn't look like a first overall pick at all.

At least with Yakupov's lack of goal scoring you saw a lot of skill and potential to be dominant. Mackinnon never really showed a thing. I haven't had the chance to see him much in juniors but I was hoping to see a lot more of his determination and ability with the puck.

Hitchslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 01:24 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchslap View Post
I'm not too surprised by guys like Murphy, Hamilton, and Huberdeau playing like garbage, but I was really disappointed to see Mackinnon look terrible out there. I know it's just a short tourney but he didn't look like a first overall pick at all.

At least with Yakupov's lack of goal scoring you saw a lot of skill and potential to be dominant. Mackinnon never really showed a thing. I haven't had the chance to see him much in juniors but I was hoping to see a lot more of his determination and ability with the puck.
He traditionally isn't a fourth line winger in juniors either.

MacKinnon was asked to fill a different role for Team Canada, and did his best with what he had to work with. Keep in mind, this is probably the first team MacKinnon has played on (at least since a very early age) where he wasn't the team's star or go-to forward. Let's not pretend that isn't a big adjustment.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote