HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Players that disappointed the most

Old
01-03-2013, 04:20 PM
Brock Anton
Deal with it.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutchecktime View Post
It's really, really hard to ignore the idea that a player known for his offense came in and was given massive PP time and was the only Canadian defenseman without a single point, while struggling defensively. I just don't know that you can call that simply "meh" and not what it was - bad.
Well yeah, when you look at the stat line it can be said that he played bad. But when you actually watch the game, you could see that he was creating chances and really wasn't anymore of a liability on defense than what Dougie Hamilton (who was 10x more disappointing than Murphy) was.

The whole team was a disappointment, I was just responding to the people who seem to be pinning it all on Murphy.

Brock Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 04:22 PM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endersoldier View Post
The only thing I'll give the pro-Murphy crowd is that he was hardly alone on the blueline in terms of sucking; he should not be considered the source of the issues. Still, he did nothing to earn the ice time that he did.
Would definitely agree.

I'm just quite frankly surprised that it's such an issue that people are criticizing this player:

Rielly 5gp 1g 3a 4pts +4
Harrington 5gp 0g 1a 1pt +5
Murphy 5gp 0g 0a 0pts 0
Ouellet 5gp 1g 2a 3pts +1
Wotherspoon 5gp 1g 1a 2pts +2
Hamilton 5gp 1g 1a 2pts +2
Reinhart 5gp 0g 1a 1pt 0

Worst +/-, least amount of points with the most offensive opportunities. Yet Carolina fans act like he's being completely victimized and barely acknowledge there's any truth behind the criticism. Look, most people don't have a vendetta against Carolina prospects, they're not out to get you. But you could make a really good argument that relative to icetime and opportunities given, he was the worst defenseman on this team.

Gutchecktime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 04:26 PM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post
Well yeah, when you look at the stat line it can be said that he played bad. But when you actually watch the game, you could see that he was creating chances and really wasn't anymore of a liability on defense than what Dougie Hamilton (who was 10x more disappointing than Murphy) was.

The whole team was a disappointment, I was just responding to the people who seem to be pinning it all on Murphy.
When you watch a game and make observations and then argue about it online, you have to rely on numbers to support those observations - it doesn't mean I didn't watch the game or I'm ignoring what I saw.

Gutchecktime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 04:30 PM
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE

vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsBtn View Post
Rielly scored a 5-on-3 goal the bounced off the defenseman and a few second assists. His defense is/was substandard. He didn't make a single highlight play the entire tournament.

Sorry, he sucked bad. Certainly not the 'best player in the draft' player he's been touted as. Not by a longshot.
Ouch! You must really hate Dougie Hamilton then.

Who in your expert opinion deserves to be the best player in that draft?

Last edited by Atomos2: 01-03-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 04:31 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:

Yes, Hamilton sucked too. But he also got the toughest minutes on the team's top defensive pairing, and actually managed to score an important goal in a crucial game.

I don't know if I'd categorize Murphy's solo dashes as being a mark in his favour. They were low percentage plays against quality opponents that didn't manage puck possession very well and yielded zero results.

Watching all the games didn't help my impression of Murphy any. I get the feeling that the overwhelming majority of posters on the WJC board watched a lot of the Team Canada games too, and weren't any more convinced by the eyeball test. If it looks like and duck and walks like a duck...

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 04:32 PM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

Yakupov. He is really selfish with the puck and tries to do way too much, also is out of position chasing for the puck far too often.

Also I was really disappointed in how Spott used about half of the team.

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 04:32 PM
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE

Quote:
Really? Every time he did something well, it went completely ignored in the threads. But when he made a mistake? It was like he stole a Vancouver prospects' spot on the squad or something.

No Carolina fan will tell you he played awesome, but his 'bad' play has been greatly exaggerated. He could have easily had a few assists this tournament, and he wasn't a hand grenade on defense like many are portraying. He wasn't awful, but he wasn't great either. He was 'meh'.
Maybe if he did then we could have easily beat the US today

Old
01-03-2013, 04:39 PM
Atomos2
BLUE NOISE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Howie View Post
If decent play is throwing meatballs up the middle of the ice in your own zone or taking waster shots directly at the goalies stomach on 4v1 to lose puck possession... hate to see what awful playing by Rielly looks like.
I think this has a lot more to do with hating Rielly rather than hating the way he played today.

Old
01-03-2013, 04:58 PM
Spectrefire

Quote:
Would definitely agree.

I'm just quite frankly surprised that it's such an issue that people are criticizing this player:

Rielly 5gp 1g 3a 4pts +4
Murphy 5gp 0g 0a 0pts 0
Reinhart 5gp 0g 1a 1pt 0

Worst +/-, least amount of points with the most offensive opportunities. Yet Carolina fans act like he's being completely victimized and barely acknowledge there's any truth behind the criticism. Look, most people don't have a vendetta against Carolina prospects, they're not out to get you. But you could make a really good argument that relative to icetime and opportunities given, he was the worst defenseman on this team.
I agree completely. Murphy was brought into this team for one reason and that was to create offense from the blueline and powerplay. He failed miserably on both ends. Hell, if nothing else, I'd say he neutralized a ton of offense by his terrible erratic play.

Spectrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Drij

I'd say all the so called NHL players.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:05 PM
canuck2010

In no particular order.

Hamilton, Murphy, Huberdeau, Scheifele, Strome,

canuck2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:08 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
Obviously Yakupov was brutal, many question marks there.
This is how you can tell if someone actually watched games or simply looked at the stats.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:09 PM
Mattb124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post
Yakupov. He is really selfish with the puck and tries to do way too much, also is out of position chasing for the puck far too often.
Exactly what I came to say. Great tools, but needs to play a team game.

Mattb124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:10 PM
TonsofPuppies*
#ThePriceIsRight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebo View Post
Who disappointed me - today?

This.

TonsofPuppies* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:10 PM
BobDobolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
I'd say all the so called NHL players.
Who are they do you think?

Yakupov
Huberdeau
Strome
Scheifele?
Jenner?

BobDobolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:32 PM
Dr Quincy

I'd say that Murphy played worse than Rielly or Hamilton, but Murphy didn't disappoint as much as the other 2 because honestly, I don't think he's as highly touted as a prospect. My expectations for his game wasn't very high, and I know before the tourney even started Canadians here didn't have high expectations for him.

Rielly and Hamilton on the other hand..... one has been called (by some" the best defenseman prospect not in the NHL for the last 2 years. The other has been hyped as a top 5 prospect regardless of position.

Neither played nearly up to those labels.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:35 PM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Would definitely agree.

Rielly 5gp 1g 3a 4pts +4
Murphy 5gp 0g 0a 0pts 0
Reinhart 5gp 0g 1a 1pt 0

christ....

I wonder what his ice time per game is compared to those players. He played in the entire PP for Team Canada against the USA. Pathetic...

jigsaw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:36 PM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
I'd say that Murphy played worse than Rielly or Hamilton, but Murphy didn't disappoint as much as the other 2 because honestly, I don't think he's as highly touted as a prospect. My expectations for his game wasn't very high, and I know before the tourney even started Canadians here didn't have high expectations for him.

Rielly and Hamilton on the other hand..... one has been called (by some" the best defenseman prospect not in the NHL for the last 2 years. The other has been hyped as a top 5 prospect regardless of position.

Neither played nearly up to those labels.
problem is not that you and the fans expectations are high, it is that Steve Spott idiot keep playing him the highest minutes over other defense mans.

Heck he thinks Murphy is the next Karlsson and put up PPG in NHL

http://thehockeywriters.com/shj/kitc...s-ryan-murphy/

Last edited by jigsaw99: 01-03-2013 at 05:42 PM.
jigsaw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:39 PM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
I'm surprised how so many fans that create accounts on hockey boards can't look at the big pictures before posting stuff like that. I guarantee you that if Grigorenko was playing LW with Kuraly while Galchenyuk was centering Russia's 2nd line, you would be writing the exact opposite. Galchenyuk pretty much shutdown Huberdeau on his own multiple times yesterday, he has to refine his role on the team because he's playing with less qualitie linemates than his line in Sarnia against obvious better opposition.
You are such an expert and fore teller of the future that you are able to conclusively say Galch would have outperformed Grigs if their roles were reversed.... I'm impressed.

Wait...

... Checks username.
... Checks avatar.

Nevermind. I see what's happening here.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 05:55 PM
Hossa

Quote:
Originally Posted by jughead42 View Post
Of all the players I was disappointed in, Griffin Reinhart was the biggest surprise. For a guy who was taken as high as he was in the draft, ahead of some very good players, he looked like hot wet garbage every time I saw him. He's supposed to be some defensive wizard but i saw him fumble the puck weakly to the other team at his own blue line on a couple of occasions. I would say Murphy, but I've seen Murphy play in the OHL for a few years so his outrageously poor performance was not a shock at all. I knew we were in trouble when Spott was named HC, and it was cemented when his little buddy Murphy found his way onto the team. What a joke.
I was really surprised at how poor Reinhart was as well. Whereas guys like Hamilton and Rielly looked as good or bad as the rest of the team, and were mostly guilty of not raising their game above that level, Reinhart was consistently mediocre. Against quicker opponents he struggled defensively, and against all opponents he looked very limited offensively. Wotherspoon was more impressive, and he didn't go fourth overall.

Hossa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:02 PM
SephF
See you next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post
The same could be said for every Russian forward this tournament. They're trying to do too much by themselves.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:25 PM
Saving Greiss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
This is how you can tell if someone actually watched games or simply looked at the stats.
He wasn't "brutal", he was just ok.

Saving Greiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:47 PM
TOGuy14

I love the Rielly hate in this thread. He was probably the best Canadian d-man in the tournament (though that doesn't really say much given the way they collectively played).

Rielly should have been given a lot more minutes than he was and should have been first unit PP. Sure, he looked a bit lost defensively, but offensively he was much more dynamic than Murphy, whose only contribution was sitting at the blue line waiting for a one timer to happen.

TOGuy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:11 PM
Drij

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDobolina View Post
Who are they do you think?

Yakupov
Huberdeau
Strome
Scheifele?
Jenner?
You forgot RNH.

Drij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:13 PM
BobDobolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
You forgot RNH.
I didn't. He is an actual NHL player, not an "NHL player" Plus I think he had a strong tournament.

BobDobolina is offline   Reply With Quote