HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Players that disappointed the most

Old
01-03-2013, 06:14 PM
Aceboogie

vCash: 500
Reilly very easily. Completely underwhelmed me, d zone breakdowns, lack of offense generation. This was supposed to be his coming out party but that flopped.

This tourny should not serve to be a primary scouting report and guys like Hamilton, reilly and Yakupov will bounce back

Aceboogie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:15 PM
86Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOGuy14 View Post
I love the Rielly hate in this thread. He was probably the best Canadian d-man in the tournament (though that doesn't really say much given the way they collectively played).

Rielly should have been given a lot more minutes than he was and should have been first unit PP. Sure, he looked a bit lost defensively, but offensively he was much more dynamic than Murphy, whose only contribution was sitting at the blue line waiting for a one timer to happen.
I thought Harrington and Ouellet were clearly better, and Wotherspoon certainly exceeded my expectations for him. Overall, I'd say Rielly was around our 3rd or 4th best D. Agreed on the second part, though.

Last edited by 86Habs: 01-03-2013 at 06:20 PM.
86Habs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:16 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
If you base it completely by hype, It has to be rielly.

He was pegged as the next messiah, but was "solid" but nothing special.

His skating is flawless, and you can see his offensive talent, but has huge defensive issues he has to work out.

Reminds me of ehrhoff.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:21 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272
3 Beers 1 Cup

Yeah Reilly was one of the worst players on TC. The only thing he did today was screen Subban.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:25 PM
Jacob

vCash: 549
It's pretty hard to be an offensive defenseman on the first PP unit on team Canada and put up zero points in 5 games.

Jacob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:29 PM
LiquidSnake*

Murphy, Reilly and mostly Dougie Hamilton.

Hamilton Hype is ridiculous.

LiquidSnake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:50 PM
Aceboogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post

Tame compared to the Reilly hype train. Hamilton put up major points the year before and won CHL top defender. His hype had some merit.

I expect the hype surrounding both to slow down a bit as they both have several flaws

Old
01-03-2013, 07:20 PM
DuckJet
Viva Las Vegas

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swedelicious View Post
I've only seen one Canada game this WJC, and while Murphy wasn't great he wasn't super bad either. What is it people are disappointed with? Lack of points or bad defense? Or both?
Pretty garbage D. I said before the draft that he looked like a possibly more gifted MA Bergeron and my opinion hasn't changed only I've developed doubts that he can even handle the NHL well enough to be an offensive factor. Don't think he won't be an NHLer like other people have been saying though. Always thought he was a tremendously overrated prospect. Has this tourney helped my case? Absolutely.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:23 PM
LeafOfBread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBandwagonerNo272 View Post
Yeah Reilly was one of the worst players on TC. The only thing he did today was screen Subban.
Worst? Not even close. And he was about as useful as the rest of the D today.

Rielly had an okay tournament. He was given very limited ice time, even after his excellent game against Slovakia. It's hard to have him make an impact when he's highly skilled and known for creating offensive chances and rushes yet being given limited ice time and no support from the coach. Ranking the d-men, he fits 3rd behind Ouellet and Harrington.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:42 PM
TOGuy14

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Reilly very easily. Completely underwhelmed me, d zone breakdowns, lack of offense generation. This was supposed to be his coming out party but that flopped.

This tourny should not serve to be a primary scouting report and guys like Hamilton, reilly and Yakupov will bounce back
Not even sure if you are serious?

Reilly was our top scoring D-man with the second best +/-, and was only on the ice for one goal against in the 13 scored against Canada in the tournament.

What else would you have liked considering Spott wasn't playing him nearly enough and he is only 18?

TOGuy14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 08:53 PM
leach11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Howie View Post
If decent play is throwing meatballs up the middle of the ice in your own zone or taking waster shots directly at the goalies stomach on 4v1 to lose puck possession... hate to see what awful playing by Rielly looks like.
I was referring to the entire tourney which, in 5 games, Reilly had 4 points, +4, and was only on for 1 goal against in all games played. Oh and that rush that you are referring to was one of the only decent chances team Canada had all game so yea...

leach11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:00 PM
Whitesnake
Mediocre Stability

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post

Again, don't want to defend future Bruins or Leafs but some people don't give me any choice. How's the hype ridiculous? He did have a really tough tournament. Well, he wasn't plain bad, was just not noticeable enough and clearly not the force that we tought he'd be. But he is dominant in his league. He shows improvement year after year. He will never be intimidating despite the size, but he will bring something tangibles on both sides of the rink. Though I do not expect anything that great offensively, he won't be Hal Gill either.

Having a tougher tournament than expected is in no way in relation to how hype you are. You just had.....an average tournament. So Yakupov is rather ordinairy...hype is too high? Rielly? Or are you solely saying this 'cause those players are just "products" of some of the bigger fanbases around here? Normal that you hear about them more. But I believe that some of those players....the hype will be justified.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 09:42 PM
nitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post

You actually have NO idea what you're talking about, and it's awesome.

Rielly led the D in scoring and was almost never on the ice during goals against. If you want to say anything, you could say he had a quiet, understated tournament but it was definitely not a bad one.

nitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:52 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch
Franchise Centre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post

His skating is flawless, and you can see his offensive talent, but has huge defensive issues he has to work out.

Reminds me of ehrhoff.
Next messiah? Of Team Canada? What is this I don't even..

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:56 PM
I am Canadian
Foreverly Hopeful

Rielly. Wasn't anything special but he looked a lot better than Murphy at running a PP.

I am Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:59 PM
Trap Jesus

I thought the Canadian defense as a whole was very shaky and a major disappointment overall. People seem to give Oullette and Harrington free passes, but I thought they had some shaky moments as well.

Trap Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:00 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
LEBBRRRAAAWWNNNNN

vCash: 450
I can see the argument for Rielly here. I was a big fan of the pick myself, and he has been good at Moose Jaw. I do not think this tourney was a good indicator of his overall game, so if you use the term "disappointing" by its true meaning then yes, Rielly is a good candidate for this topic. Now, if you are asking me if he was the worst D-man on Canada, the answer is a flat out no because Murphy and Reinhart were downright the two most worst d-men (I'm giving the edge to Reinhart for worst overall). I put him at either #3 or #4 on the team, with Ouellet and Harrington taking the top two spots.

BLASPHEMOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:04 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trap Jesus View Post
I thought the Canadian defense as a whole was very shaky and a major disappointment overall. People seem to give Oullette and Harrington free passes, but I thought they had some shaky moments as well.
Nobody's saying they were perfect, but they had fewer shaky moments. Particularly if you take out that terrible game against the US, where everyone was just terrible, those two played a lot better than the others.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:24 PM
mondo3

vCash: 50
which players are the likeliest to be brought back for next years tourney?

mondo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:32 PM
WarriorofTime
HFBoards Sponsor

Was expecting to see more from Canada defensively. Hamilton, Rielly, Murphy, and Reinhart all left a lot to be desired. With the amount of talent among those 4 I was expecting a lot better than what I say. Thought Scott Harrington had a solid tournament but a pretty vanilla defensive-defenseman should not be your best D Man in a tournament like this.

Obviously Nail Yakupov. He didn't have a disastrous tournament. Remember Phil Kessel only having 1 goal in 2006, very similar to that, with each racking up a ton of assists. Still he tried to do way too much. He needs to learn to trust his teammates more, play catch a little more and not try to deke around 4 guys all the time.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 12:07 AM
MuzzaFuzza
#NinetySeven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post

Reminds me of ehrhoff.
This. He was recieving way to much hype from Leaf fans like "Just wait till you see him at the WJCs an you'll see why Burke had him ranked #1." By all means he at a decent but was not the best defenceman for sure! Harrington and Ouellet had better tournaments and Wotherspoon definitely surpsied.

MuzzaFuzza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 02:32 AM
Aceboogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitz View Post
You actually have NO idea what you're talking about, and it's awesome.

Rielly led the D in scoring and was almost never on the ice during goals against. If you want to say anything, you could say he had a quiet, understated tournament but it was definitely not a bad one.
Led the horrible Canadian d with 5 pts, big accomplishment. I said d zone breakdown, not goals against, reading comprehension my friend. I watch to see how the d play, not just look at +/- he had some give aways early in the us game including one pizza up the middle. It was a bad tourny for him, but like I said its a small sample size, nothing to lose your mind over

Old
01-04-2013, 02:43 AM
Lux Aurumque*

Huberdeau was Canada's worst player by far in the second game against the US. The play died every single time he touched the puck.

Lux Aurumque* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:36 AM
orcatown

Defense in general was just bad.

Have to figure that Hamilton is better than he showed here. Didn't show any of the command that you would have expected with someone with his credentials. His skating, surprisingly, did not look that good. Looked awkward and slow at times. I can't say that at any time during the process did he look much good. Had to be the biggest disappointment.

Harrington looks like a complementary player who could support a top end player but can't produce much on his own. At least his coverage looked adequate. Highly over-hyped by Ferraro. At best was mediocre.

Reilly had a very difficult tournament. Didn't get much game time because of his tentative and soft coverage in his own end (and boy he has work to do here) and lack of quickness in transition. As I saw it, he and Murray was clearly the worst of the bunch. Reilly showed little ability to anticipate or react to the play in his own end. Just overwhelmed at times. I think people should realize this player missed a lot time and will need time to get his game totally back. Expecting him to look world class, given the lack of time to raise his game, was pushing expectations

Murray better get use to playing in Europe because that's where he will probably end up playing. You can't be that weak in your end at the NHL level. Also, he will be skated into all kinds of traps and turnovers at the pro level. Could say the same for Reilly.

Schiefle - saw him in Penticton last year and he looked dominant. Looked nothing like that in this tournament. I think this player has to play center but given what we saw here maybe looking at #2 center at best. Got running around too much and positional play was terrible. There were so many times when he ended up lagging far behind the play resulting in the US defense moving in from the point unchecked and wide open for opportunities. His diving got embarrassing for the team and made it look like the only way to succeed was to draw penalties. Telegraphed every thing he did.

Huberdeau - is this player another example of a player that got over-hyped because of one big Memorial Cup run. There are dozens of forwards in this tournament that looked better than him - and that includes most of the US forwards. Skating was average and he always seemed to be forcing the play. Bad in his own end as well.

Canada 4th line - seemed like all they could do was draw meaningless penalties and suspensions. Some of the poorer skaters like McNeil and Lipon got badly exposed for their inability to play high speed transition game. Just couldn't keep up.

Might well be that a lot of these players are better than they showed here. Sprott looked in over his head and maybe this lack of experience and direction led to a lack of confidence and tentativeness among the players. However, I think you severely have to question whether Team Canada had the talent to compete with teams like the United States. Certainly the play of many Canadians has to raise questions about their upside at the NHL level.

IN the future skating has to be a priority.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 03:39 AM
VladNYC*

Yakupov was ****ing TERRIBLE! A half speed, dumber version of Afinogenov.

VladNYC* is offline   Reply With Quote