HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Players that disappointed the most

Old
01-04-2013, 06:54 AM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VladNYC View Post
Yakupov was ****ing TERRIBLE! A half speed, dumber version of Afinogenov.
Hahaha..in all honesty, Yakupov was pretty much the Huberdeau of Russia. I am a big fan of Huberdeau and he's one of my favorite prospect (Quebecois), but damn he did not show up big in this year's tournament. The play died everytime he touched the puck during the 2nd game vs the Americans. Yakupov is pretty similar with the puck, when he goes into the offensive zone, he makes a dumb decision when he's rushed by the defenseman and loses the puck.

For people who say that Huberdeau is way too overrated because of the Memorial Cup run, that's not true. You based it off a single tournament. He's special and has tremendous playmaking ability and vision. The most important aspect of his game that he desperately need to work on is his strength on skates..damn it, never seen a player fall so much.

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:00 AM
TheFatOne
Mr.Negativo

Dougie Hamilton by far. Scared of physical contact.

TheFatOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 07:12 AM
Davebo
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
This is how you can tell if someone actually watched games or simply looked at the stats.
Actually, your post is how you can tell someone who's objective, or in your case, not so much (read: homer).

He's been frigging terrible - unless, in your world, an awesome player breaks up the ice early, ignoring his D zone obligations. And rushes up the ice - alone - ignoring team mates. Usually 1 on 2,3,4 or more.

Yeah - he's great at that. At playing the team sport known as ice hockey? He needs work - BigTime!

Davebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 08:02 AM
pigpen65

MacKinnon is the runaway winner. He's tagged as the #1 overall pick. He has 1 assist.

pigpen65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 08:20 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
Hahaha..in all honesty, Yakupov was pretty much the Huberdeau of Russia. I am a big fan of Huberdeau and he's one of my favorite prospect (Quebecois), but damn he did not show up big in this year's tournament. The play died everytime he touched the puck during the 2nd game vs the Americans. Yakupov is pretty similar with the puck, when he goes into the offensive zone, he makes a dumb decision when he's rushed by the defenseman and loses the puck.

For people who say that Huberdeau is way too overrated because of the Memorial Cup run, that's not true. You based it off a single tournament. He's special and has tremendous playmaking ability and vision. The most important aspect of his game that he desperately need to work on is his strength on skates..damn it, never seen a player fall so much.
Huberdeau setup the most glorious chance of the game yesterday, putting Strome in alone. Didn't think he had the strongest game but a post and sending a guy in alone when the team was getting manhandled isn't exactly as quiet as you make it sound.

Also if I had to pick a Canadian that is weak on his skates it would be Scheifele, that guy falls down a ton.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 08:36 AM
sbtatter

I think Jenner was a disapointment as well, a returning player should have know the stupid hit he laid out was going to be a suspendable hit. Then against Russia he was fantastic, best forward on TC, then in the SF, invisible.
Murphy and Reinhart were terrible d-men, but no surprise there, everyone knew that before the selection camp.
Hub and Schiefflie didn't dominate like you'd expect 2 guys who likely would be in the NHL should.
One comment regarding RHH, how will this guy have a long career in the NHL without being injured a lot, he's so small, I love his Sakic/Gretzky type hockey iQ, but I think he might have a hard time staying healthy on a small rink with the monsters in the NHL these days.

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 08:58 AM
Karsa Orlong
Knight of chains

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
I think Jenner was a disapointment as well, a returning player should have know the stupid hit he laid out was going to be a suspendable hit. Then against Russia he was fantastic, best forward on TC, then in the SF, invisible.
Murphy and Reinhart were terrible d-men, but no surprise there, everyone knew that before the selection camp.
Hub and Schiefflie didn't dominate like you'd expect 2 guys who likely would be in the NHL should.
One comment regarding RHH, how will this guy have a long career in the NHL without being injured a lot, he's so small, I love his Sakic/Gretzky type hockey iQ, but I think he might have a hard time staying healthy on a small rink with the monsters in the NHL these days.
RNH is 6'1, 185 lbs, and he is only 19. His face looks like a 12 year old, but his size isnt as much of an issue as it was when he was drafted.

Karsa Orlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:39 AM
22Brad Park

For a 1st overall pick last yr.Yakupov STUNK.Good luck vs the Chara.s in NHl,Yer in for lessons if u struggle vs these d men.

22Brad Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:41 AM
22Brad Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Huberdeau setup the most glorious chance of the game yesterday, putting Strome in alone. Didn't think he had the strongest game but a post and sending a guy in alone when the team was getting manhandled isn't exactly as quiet as you make it sound.

Also if I had to pick a Canadian that is weak on his skates it would be Scheifele, that guy falls down a ton.
Hunerdeau was -4 vs USA but to be fair,others were out there to with him.

Old
01-04-2013, 09:43 AM
22Brad Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen65 View Post
MacKinnon is the runaway winner. He's tagged as the #1 overall pick. He has 1 assist.
Man if u take a pure offence guy at 17 and expect him to be a role checking player vs 19 yr olds at this level thats what u get,Thats all on the coaching,That kid is a pt machine in Halifax and never got one chance to prove it,Drouin would not be near what he is without him either in Halifax,do not be fooled.

Old
01-04-2013, 09:54 AM
Darth Handsome

Quote:

Pretty tough to rack up points from the bench.

I am not in the habit of blaming the caoch when a team plays poorly, but the biggest disappointment of this tournament was Steve Spott. He looked like a deer caught in the headlights from the word go.

Darth Handsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:59 AM
SenzZen
Do it for Alfie!

Quote:
I was also disappointed with what happened with MacKinnon in the tournament, but wouldn't lay any of the blame on him.

SenzZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:00 AM
Johnny Bravo
1st overall again

Mackinnon should have replaced Huberdeau on that 2nd line.

Johnny Bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:03 AM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Ryan Murphy, people make jokes about Erik Karlsson being a d-man, well put all the humor aside in those jokes and apply them to Ryan Murphy.

Dougie Hamilton, this guy is a 6 foot something powerhouse, suppose to be a man among boys but was scared of physical contact like a prepubescent scared of girls because they have cooties.

Nail Yakupov, he made me think of me when I saw a naked girl for the first time, get it, go crazy, shoot all over the place and then just calm down. He gets the puck, skates as if he's jumping on a horse and then shoot, and then just circle around, expected more from him.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:19 AM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

vCash: 50
Yakupov was a mess all tournament long. My vote goes to him.

Aspirine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:21 AM
Darth Handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
Mackinnon should have replaced Huberdeau on that 2nd line.
Among many other things that could have at least been tried.

Darth Handsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:56 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post

It's called opportunistic diving haha. An this coming from a Canadian haha

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:04 AM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbtatter View Post
He's over 6 feet tall and over 180 lbs. He's bigger then a lot of NHL regulars (look at St.Louis, Patrick Kane, Gerbe, Ennis etc etc etc) who are all much smaller and don't have injury issues.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:08 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Mac. But that was due to the fact that he was placed on the 4rth line

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:12 AM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
He's over 6 feet tall and over 180 lbs. He's bigger then a lot of NHL regulars (look at St.Louis, Patrick Kane, Gerbe, Ennis etc etc etc) who are all much smaller and don't have injury issues.
over 180? isn't he in the 170 range?

Not that big a difference but hey, if we're trying to be accurate here.

And RNH ain't the problem, well...maybe a part of it actually, I mean you expect him to dominate this type of tournament. We had no clutch-ness on our team, no Eberles, no Tavares type dudes. Just some guys who rack up the points but when **** matters, they **** the bed.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:15 AM
sbtatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karsa Orlong View Post
RNH is 6'1, 185 lbs, and he is only 19. His face looks like a 12 year old, but his size isnt as much of an issue as it was when he was drafted.
He is a baby face! I never would have guessed he was 6'1", 185lbs, he sure doesn't look that sturdy out there. Don't get me wrong, this isn't a bash RNH, I liked him from the 1st time I saw him as a 15 year old in the WHL, but I do have some concerns over his durability....

sbtatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:19 AM
CarlWinslow
@hiphopsicles

Obviously Yakupov.

I also thought Galchenyuk was pretty underwhelming. He had like two nice passing plays but other than that it was mostly pretty pedestrian stuff that even I could do.

CarlWinslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:24 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

So Dougie Hamilton does a really good Jay Bouwmeester impression?

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:25 AM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlWinslow View Post
Obviously Yakupov.

I also thought Galchenyuk was pretty underwhelming. He had like two nice passing plays but other than that it was mostly pretty pedestrian stuff that even I could do.
He was being benched the entire time by his coach though.... Would have been nice to see him on the 1rst line with gaudreau. Would have better served than Miller.

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 11:28 AM
Perfect_Drug

Brent Sutter, or Dale Hunter.

Either of them should have been coach of this team.

Perfect_Drug is offline   Reply With Quote