HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Players that disappointed the most

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-31-2012, 05:24 PM
  #126
Scottrockztheworld*
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,300
vCash: 500
Murphy


Then again he's only on the team because of his coach. Spott's homerism

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 05:27 PM
  #127
Raging Bull
Registered User
 
Raging Bull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Hamilton, ONT
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,096
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post

Still coming in as a lock and then being demoted to (argubly) the 7th dman is definitely disappointing. I realize some of it is Spott's favouritism to Murphy, but there must be a reason why it is only affecting Rielly and no one else.
Rielly and Reinhart are the only guys from the past draft on the team, Reinhart is obviously more dependable when defending the lead so it's pretty obvious why Rielly is the odd guy out when they are trying to hold on in the third period, Spott favors the more experienced guys, nothing wrong with that. The reason he was a lock for the team is because he has the ability to change the game in one shift, probably more so than any of the other defenseman. If they ever find themselves down late in the game that's when he's going to shine.

Raging Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 05:28 PM
  #128
Atomos2
WE ARE ABLE 340
 
Atomos2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,454
vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss View Post
I can tell you are mad that habs drafted gally and the leafs did not. I dont blame you to be honest haha, stay mad
Yep, that must be it


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutchecktime View Post
Morgan Rielly 1g 4pts, +5, 13 shots
Xavier Ouellet 1g 3pts, +1, 13 shots
Dougie Hamilton 1g 2pts, +3, 9 shots
Tyler Wotherspoon 1g 2pts, +3, 3 shots
Scott Harrington 0g 1pt, +5, 2 shots
Griffin Reinhart 0g 1pt, +2, 1 shot
Ryan Murphy 0g 0pts, +2, 14 shots

I'm looking forward to when people think he's actually playing well.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 05:28 PM
  #129
WJG
Running and Rioting
 
WJG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Ireland
Posts: 13,637
vCash: 500
I might be in the minority, but I think Huberdeau has been disappointing. I expected him to take over games like RNH is doing. Maybe it's just a lack of chemistry with his linemates, but he hasn't made much of an impact the last few games.

Last year he was arguably Canada's best forward. This after missing a month with an injury.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 05:28 PM
  #130
nitz
Registered User
 
nitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: North Korea
Posts: 1,759
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Rypien Farts View Post
Guess, the almighty R. N. H. is the center of every scoring chance, every goal, every offensive creation, take-aways, puck-battles..

Next to nothing?

These posts are just getting ridiculous.
I see that you are from Florida. You aren't exactly an unbiased voice either.

Edmonton fan saying Yakupov, Hamilton and Jones. I think that Jones has been particularly putrid.

nitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 05:31 PM
  #131
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller
 
The Mentalist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss View Post
I can tell you are mad that habs drafted gally and the leafs did not. I dont blame you to be honest haha, stay mad
Really go back to the draft threads, I wanted a D man since as we now know with it was a draft to pick an impact D man, not a fwd. Especially when you have guys like Drouin playing better than Yakupov or Gally. Why do Hab fans always get their hair up when Gally is critiqued, too accurate for your liking?

The Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 05:32 PM
  #132
bruinsfan46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,460
vCash: 500
Galchenyuk, Gaudreau and Grimaldi, supposed to be the offensive leaders for the US, were too quiet against Canada and Russia. Galchenyuk picked up a couple of powerplay assists because Trouba is a stud, we all know he's second overall in points and playing out of position (even though he's a full time winger in Sarnia right now) Habs fans but that doesn't mean he's been that great, at any point he could have stepped up and made a play against Canada or Russia but he just never did.
Hamilton was very disappointing the first two games but was strong defensively against the US and excellent overall against Russia. I'm actually a Ryan Murphy fan unlike a lot of HF Boards, he's been very disappointing.
Yakupov hasn't been Yakupov and Grigorenko has been quiet.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 05:35 PM
  #133
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Displaced
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,620
vCash: 500
Ryan Murphy: fire drill in his own end, rushes the puck into trouble spots and turns it over, just hasn't been as advertised.

Alex Galchenyuk: completely invisible at times (although quietly picking up points). not to say he's playing badly, I just don't think he's been able to stay consistently involved, a guy like him should be dictating the play every time he's on the ice.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 05:40 PM
  #134
FrankMTL
Registered User
 
FrankMTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,926
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Really go back to the draft threads, I wanted a D man since as we now know with it was a draft to pick an impact D man, not a fwd. Especially when you have guys like Drouin playing better than Yakupov or Gally. Why do Hab fans always get their hair up when Gally is critiqued, too accurate for your liking?
Maybe because in the Leafs forum in the WJC thread all you do is bash Galchenyuk for no reason...I went in to get some feedback regarding how you guys think Rielly is playing and half your posts are bashing Galchenyuk. You even argue with your fellow Leafs posters about it and even they think you hate him just to hate him.

I'll be the first to admit that Gally hasn't been consistent this tournament, but you had your mind made up before he even played a game. Forgive some of us for not taking your opinion very seriously.

FrankMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 05:45 PM
  #135
Atomos2
WE ARE ABLE 340
 
Atomos2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,454
vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
Maybe because in the Leafs thread all you do is bash Galchenyuk for no reason...I went in to get some feedback regarding how you guys think Rielly is playing and half your posts are bashing Galchenyuk.
Don't know if that's true or not, but I have nothing against Galchenyuk and I actually like him. I don't think that is a true representation of the Leaf thread. Galchenyuk has played decent in this tournament but I do think there is another level he can go to that he hasn't shown yet. I haven't spoken to many hab fans but the few I have talked to agree that both prospects look really good and even though they haven't played their best hockey in the tournament, they still have some pretty good stats. Same with Leaf fans, there's definitely more Murphy and Hamilton bashing than Galchenyuk bashing.

Trying to compare forwards to dmen are hard enough, we shouldn't have to bring in prospect and potential into the equation.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 05:46 PM
  #136
theboss*
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
Yep, that must be it
4 quiet points

theboss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 05:48 PM
  #137
Atomos2
WE ARE ABLE 340
 
Atomos2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,454
vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss View Post
4 quiet points
And yet...they're there.

EDIT

Actually, the first one was quiet. The other three were loud enough to wake Canada up in the Slovakia game and pull off the win.


Last edited by Atomos2: 12-31-2012 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Epiphany
Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 05:51 PM
  #138
smitty10
Registered User
 
smitty10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss View Post
4 quiet points
Why are you so mad?

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 05:54 PM
  #139
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller
 
The Mentalist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
Maybe because in the Leafs forum in the WJC thread all you do is bash Galchenyuk for no reason...I went in to get some feedback regarding how you guys think Rielly is playing and half your posts are bashing Galchenyuk. You even argue with your fellow Leafs posters about it and even they think you hate him just to hate him.

I'll be the first to admit that Gally hasn't been consistent this tournament, but you had your mind made up before he even played a game. Forgive some of us for not taking your opinion very seriously.
For me I critique all players including Leafs, as I have for Grabovski, Kessel at times until last season, and other players. I was critical of Grigorenko's playoffs and his showing this summer, but today I was quick to say he played well. Sure there are opinions that are completely biased, but I have shown a history of being at least fair and I don't cherry pick franchises. I give credit when it is deserved and I critique when it is warranted.

Case in point, I was critical of Murphy and Hamilton on Canada's PP, but today I said they played well. It's all good to me. Would you say this is not being a fair poster?

The Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 05:55 PM
  #140
theboss*
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Why are you so mad?
4 quiet points, why are you getting offended?

theboss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 05:55 PM
  #141
Canuck21t
Registered User
 
Canuck21t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
Poor MacKinnon. His teammate and friend Jonathan Drouin is being used by the coach as an offensive player while he's toiling away on the 4th grinder/checking/defensive line - and it's actually skewing people's view of him draftwise! Not saying he's the surefire #1 overall pick, but considering his role on Team CAN, of course one is going to be underwhelmed by his point totals when his line isn't supposed to really be an offensive line at all (and he's not being used as a center!).

As in the SSS, if MacKinnon were centering Drouin and Huberdeau, watch out.
Droin and MacKinnon are both 17, why is MacKinnon relegated to the 4th line? Did he not play well during the trails?

Canuck21t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 06:00 PM
  #142
Atomos2
WE ARE ABLE 340
 
Atomos2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Guelph, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,454
vCash: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss View Post
4 quiet points, why are you getting offended?
Please let me know what the criteria is for a loud point.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 06:02 PM
  #143
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller
 
The Mentalist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
Please let me know what the criteria is for a loud point.
A key goal when Canada was down 0-2 to the Slovaks, that was a quiet slapshot.

Obviously a 9th goal in a 9-3 route makes more noise to some.

The Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 06:06 PM
  #144
theboss*
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,696
vCash: 500
Leaf fans crack me up

theboss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 06:10 PM
  #145
smitty10
Registered User
 
smitty10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss View Post
4 quiet points, why are you getting offended?
I was responding to the fact that a poster that's a Leafs fan was critical of Galchenyuk's play at the tournament and you responded by illogically putting down Rielly. It's almost as if you thought by doing so that it would make his critique less relevant and that it would somehow make you feel better. I'm not saying that's what you were actually thinking when you posted that response, but that defensive tactic comes off as childish and unintelligent. You should have instead posted something of value about Galchenyuk and used examples to your advantage that would provide an argument against what Interactif was posting without feeling personally insulted and taking the argument off track.

I personally think Galchenyuk has played well and is putting up points playing less minutes than he should be. I'd like to see him get more time on the ice at both ES and PP, but maybe Housley knows something I don't. If there's someone on team USA I've been disappointed with it's Johnny Gaudreau. Didn't watch the game today, but he's been pathetic when I've seen him play. JT Miller hasn't been outstanding either, but I've heard he was playing well in the AHL.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 06:12 PM
  #146
Connor McSaviour
#FreeGaza
 
Connor McSaviour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,047
vCash: 50
Huberdeau looks good? He shows lots of skill and an advanced mind from what ive seen. Extremely dissapointed in Yakupov, Jones, Murphy, and Galchenyuk. I think Dougie Hamiltons been good, but i expected more from him.

Connor McSaviour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 06:16 PM
  #147
smitty10
Registered User
 
smitty10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
Please let me know what the criteria is for a loud point.
He's just trying to stir people up. I wouldn't be too worried about what he says. He hasn't provided a single argument for or against anything that has been said in this thread. He's just a one-line type of poster who's been personally offended and is just flailing out against the people who made him feel angry.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 06:29 PM
  #148
Perrah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck21t View Post
Droin and MacKinnon are both 17, why is MacKinnon relegated to the 4th line? Did he not play well during the trails?
MacKinnon is better equipped to play the checking 4th line role than Drouin. I believe Drouin was thrown into the top 6 to see if he was going to be able to stick and would otherwise be the 13th forward. Good for him though that he was able to get better each game and show off his slick mitts.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 06:32 PM
  #149
jedimyrmidon
Registered User
 
jedimyrmidon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck21t View Post
Droin and MacKinnon are both 17, why is MacKinnon relegated to the 4th line? Did he not play well during the trails?
Drouin isn't able to play the physical game MacKinnon can. MacKinnon seems like a very strong, fast player that can be used in a grinder role. Also, with the depth at center that Canada has, MacKinnon won't be playing there anytime soon and, basing this off of the SSS, that's where he'll produce offense.

~ -- ~

As for posters arguing over Rielly and Galchenyuk, I think all the replies are getting confused and people aren't quite responding to each other (e.g. poster x replies to poster y, but poster z replies to poster x's reply as if it were addressed to him, i.e., poster z - confusing? Kind of.).

I don't think Gally has appeared at his best, but the fact that he is 2nd in tournament scoring and that he has picked up points in all his games (unlike the likes of JT Miller, Gaudreau, Grimaldi et al.) in spite of this is significant. He has some significant obstacles to overcome if he's going to look good out there without resorting to becoming a puckhog.

His main obstacle is this: Housley doesn't want to put Gally at center despite him being the most creative player, best stickhandler, best passer, best player to gain the zone on his line (and probably the whole team). So as a winger (with an NHL ready shot), Gally is expected to wait for the puck to come to him by being open. I'm pretty sure Gally is very astute in his positioning and is usually open. Kuraly, his center, on the other hand, is terrible. This means that Gally has the puck on his stick that much less, which means in order for him to be effective, he needs to somehow create something significant every time he has the puck otherwise he appears ineffective. And without the puck coming to him so that he has something to do, it's probably easy for him to become really frustrated/disinterested.

If he misses a pass, he looks ineffective; if he makes a great pass, but his linemates lose the puck, he looks ineffective; if his linemates aren't open and he takes a shot, but misses/hits the goaltender/it doesn't go in, he appears ineffective. To look effective on his line without being a puckhog, Gally pretty much needs to make every action he does count on the scoresheet, and not in a quiet way, but in an obvious way.

jedimyrmidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 06:35 PM
  #150
KRM
Registered User
 
KRM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Gothenburg
Country: Sweden
Posts: 11,120
vCash: 500
Rakell IMO for Sweden.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.