HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Players that disappointed the most

Old
12-31-2012, 06:42 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

vCash: 500
Team Finland. The ****, guys?

I'm actually being serious, I know a lot of people who had them pegged as darkhorse finalists, what went wrong?

struckbyaparkedcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 06:49 PM
sauce11

before today, i was dissapointed in Subban

sauce11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 06:51 PM
JetsAlternate

Nail Yakupov. I expected a lot more from him considering what I had heard throughout all of last season.

JetsAlternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 07:36 PM
OneSharpMarble

So the new buzz term for HFboards is "quiet points". Apparently leading your team in every way possible by yourself isn't enough, you need some flashy points.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 07:44 PM
Oak
Hockey fan

vCash: 50
Yakupov
Grigorenko
Galchenyuk
Jones

Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 08:08 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

William Karlsson hasn't done ****

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 08:08 PM
FytinSioux
Blackhawksssssss

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauce11 View Post
before today, i was dissapointed in Subban
Did you miss the USA game?

FytinSioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 08:43 PM
ReppingMTL

Joel Armia. I really love the skillset on this guy and have been talking about him forever. He is known to be lazy but watching him in the exhibition games, I thought maybe he turned a new leaf (optimistic). Go back to the preliminary rounds and he is just as lazy as always.

ReppingMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 08:57 PM
JayKing
Go Habs Go

vCash: 390
Why do these threads always have to become fanbase A vs fanbase B. You can't criticize a prospect without having an entire fanbase jump on you. Galchenyuk got his fair share of criticism by Habs fan including me and Rielly the same by leafs fans. Same for Yakupov with Oilers fans. If a person doesn't agree with you why do you guys always have to bring up his prospect and put him down just for the sake of protecting the honor of your fanbase. It's okay to disagree but don't make it fanbase A vs fanbase B. It's just annoying.

JayKing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 09:04 PM
CanadianPantherFan

Anything short of Murphy scoring the "golden goal"...will he be looked at as a failure by most in this tournament? Just curious. I know the tournament is not over yet, but judging from a fairly large sample size at this point and time.

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 09:08 PM
CanadianPantherFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4apuckguy View Post
I would tend to agree.

Huberdeau may have put up some points, but how many of those are off of the play of RNH? If you look at what he has CREATED, it has been next to nothing.
Disagree. Hubs has made a lot of passes "inside of a phone booth" to create scoring chances out of nothing for his line throughout the tournament. Watch him a little closer with plays in and behind the net (scoring chances that are not being converted but created by him). He has not been leaning on RNH to create chances.

Could he be better by moving his feet, looking to shoot more, and not taking stick type penalties? Sure.

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 09:29 PM
DuckJet
Destiny pls

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
William Karlsson hasn't done ****
Unfortunately. He was supposed to be big for Sweden and he's just been sub-par.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 09:54 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

Regarding Jones. He makes high-risk plays when he doesn't have to. He makes too many giveaways... Despite that, there's just too many dominant features to his game even at the World Junior level not see him as a top D for years in the NHL.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 10:32 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by agent082 View Post
Haven't seen any hype. He isn't his big brother Mikael. But I admit drafting mid 2nd round is maybe little high.
Granlund's been scoring big goals for Finland and winning shootouts. He's been just fine.

Him and Wotherspoon were the two 2nd round picks from the Erixon trade, both guys are at the WJC's and doing good. They were both good picks.

GetThePuckOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 10:44 PM
Greeningfan14

I thought Finland would dominate.

Greeningfan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 11:28 PM
Canuck21t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrah View Post
MacKinnon is better equipped to play the checking 4th line role than Drouin. I believe Drouin was thrown into the top 6 to see if he was going to be able to stick and would otherwise be the 13th forward. Good for him though that he was able to get better each game and show off his slick mitts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedimyrmidon View Post
Drouin isn't able to play the physical game MacKinnon can. MacKinnon seems like a very strong, fast player that can be used in a grinder role. Also, with the depth at center that Canada has, MacKinnon won't be playing there anytime soon and, basing this off of the SSS, that's where he'll produce offense.
I see, thanks guys. I'm usually not too familiar with the prospects until I see them at the WJC.

Canuck21t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 11:36 PM
Backlund

vCash: 50
Ryan Murphy.

Decent offensively and terrible defensively. If I was Steve Spott, he would be at home right now.

Backlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 11:41 PM
Christ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomos2 View Post
Normally I'd say it's easy getting points on Canada's powerplay, but then I think about Murphy and realize I cant say that.

Still coming in as a lock and then being demoted to (argubly) the 7th dman is definitely disappointing. I realize some of it is Spott's favouritism to Murphy, but there must be a reason why it is only affecting Rielly and no one else.
The reason appears pretty clear, Murphy has been given the role on team Canada that Reilly should have had. I mean going into the tournament Reilly was considered by most to be Canada's best pure offensive defenseman, yet he is not being utalized in an offensive role by Spott. Reilly was not demoted due to his play, Spott simply chose to start his player (captain of his Ranger's team at home) and he continues to do so despite the fact that Murphy has, not to put to fine a point on it, sucked.

Honsetly if you ask me Reilly is not the only one being negatively impacted by Spott's favouritism. Xavier Ouellet, who has been Canada's best defenseman in my mind so far, would also look far better playing on the first power play unit than Murphy.

Christ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 11:57 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigZ65 View Post
He didn't look that good against Canada. If I'm drafting a D 1st overall he better be able to clear the front of the net. The Canadian forwards consistently beat him to the front of the net and went where they wanted to. He didn't look very hard to play against in his own end and he seemed to chase the puck a lot, both Canadian goals were due to him being out of position.
I will still take him first reguardless over such little things that can and will be corrected over time.

This isnt like Yakupov, who was supossed to dominate and has floundered considerably and has shown weakness. Seth has too much upside while Yak has looked a bit mediocre.

Like I said, the Oilers should have traded that pick for something better then a small guy who, even before he steps into a more combative,competitive NHL, looks every bit the small fry when teams focus on him.

Martini* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 12:02 AM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

Seth Jones looks like a ****** version of Jack Johnson.

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 12:03 AM
Inflict
Viking

RNH

It's hard to disagree that Yakupov has been the most disappointing in this tourney. He was expected to dominate and has only been average thus far.

People who are saying that Schiefele and Huberdeau are disappointing so far are out of their minds. They are over a point per game and are part of the reason why Canada is currently 4-0 in this tourney. I guess by the hater's expectations they should have 20 points already.

Ryan Murphy has been the most disappointing player on team Canada as he has yet to register a point and was brought in for his offence on the blue line. His defense has been suspect all throughout the tournament and he needs to pick it up a gear or he will find himself benched for most of the tournament.

Inflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 12:29 AM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsBtn View Post
Nowhere near as good as Trouba.

And today he was Canada's worst defenseman. Of course, you wouldn't hear about it here at the HFRiellyHypeTrainBoards.com
Are you ****ing kidding me?

No defenseman is as hyped as Hamilton. None. So don't even try that ****.

I agree that Rielly was Canada's worst defenseman against Russia, and that Trouba has been incredible. Rielly hasn't had the best tournament, but he certainly hasn't been bad- hasn't been on the ice for a single goal against. I'm aware that his defensive game isn't great.

Hamilton has also been nowhere near as good as Trouba. Though, Hamilton was very good today.

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 01:19 AM
WingsMike
Registered Man

vCash: 738
somewhat Faksa and somewhat Frk

WingsMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 01:24 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
Why do these threads always have to become fanbase A vs fanbase B. You can't criticize a prospect without having an entire fanbase jump on you. Galchenyuk got his fair share of criticism by Habs fan including me and Rielly the same by leafs fans. Same for Yakupov with Oilers fans. If a person doesn't agree with you why do you guys always have to bring up his prospect and put him down just for the sake of protecting the honor of your fanbase. It's okay to disagree but don't make it fanbase A vs fanbase B. It's just annoying.
Agreed. It becomes very sad when certain posters become offended and make the arguments personal. The poster with the 'Hi Hater' avatar was acting like an angry child on the last page and turned some somewhat fair criticism into a bashing of a prospect who wasn't even mentioned in the quoted post. Oh well..

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 01:26 AM
flapanthersfan

i have no idea what the people calling huberdeau a disappointment are expecting. he has 7 points in 4 games, second in the entire tournament. playing against the best players around his age in the world.

just because his points aren't flashy doesn't mean they dont count. there's no style points in hockey is there? plus, he's made a couple of sick passes, too. his pass to RNH in the USA game was ridiculous.

as a panther fan, this thread needs more grimaldi. huge disappointment to me. i thought he was the second most skilled forward on USA and he's played so poorly he's been demoted to 13th forward.

you can see his immense skill, speed, patience, vision, etc....but that doesn't get you s***. gotta produce, kid.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote