HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Players that disappointed the most

Old
01-01-2013, 01:38 AM
ALI

vCash: 500
Disappointments

Can: Huberdeau, Murphy, Rielly, Hamilton
Finland: everyone but 2 players
USA: Grimaldi, Gal, Miller

Happy:

Can: Strome, Wootherspoon, Subban, Drouin, Danault, Ritchi
USA: Gaudreau, Trouba, Bardreau, Rielly
Fin: TT and Granlund

ALI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 01:48 AM
Jetsfareast
Helly Yeah

vCash: 442
RNH hahaha

Last game see all his 3 assist;
First it was schiefele and Hamilton worked it, passed it to him once and Hamilton blasted it.
2nd schiefele fought of 3 Russians and roof a back hand
3rd Drouin speed made all that happened with a wrapped around

I guess he is still good;
Yakupov is my choice

Jetsfareast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 01:56 AM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles McGavin View Post
Are you ****ing kidding me?

No defenseman is as hyped as Hamilton. None. So don't even try that ****.

I agree that Rielly was Canada's worst defenseman against Russia, and that Trouba has been incredible. Rielly hasn't had the best tournament, but he certainly hasn't been bad- hasn't been on the ice for a single goal against. I'm aware that his defensive game isn't great.

Hamilton has also been nowhere near as good as Trouba. Though, Hamilton was very good today.
Justin Schultz begs to differ

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 03:25 AM
Hagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALI View Post
Happy:

It depends on how you define disappointment, but IMO Barkov was better center in the tournament than Granlund, and Ristolainen was propably Finland's best player in the tournament. No offense to Teuvo Teravainen or Markus Granlund.

Hagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 03:32 AM
Kimota
CONTROL THE BEAST

Phil Housley

The choice of Mark Scheifele by some is strange to me. The guy reminds me of a young Bryan Skrudland with more talent. He's a hardworking heart and soul kind of guy who seem all over the place but I like his energy.

And Ryan Murphy is great. I think the kid will be something special, so talented.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 03:48 AM
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsfareast View Post
RNH hahaha

Last game see all his 3 assist;
First it was schiefele and Hamilton worked it, passed it to him once and Hamilton blasted it.
2nd schiefele fought of 3 Russians and roof a back hand
3rd Drouin speed made all that happened with a wrapped around

I guess he is still good;
Yakupov is my choice
Lol RNH has unbelievable sense.

He is in the right spot at the right time to make those things happen.

Lonny Bohonos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 03:50 AM
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

Murphy and Hamilton have largely been underwhelming to say the least. Hamilton has at least picked it up somewhat the last 2 games.

Lonny Bohonos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 04:21 AM
Nithoniniel

Rakell - Disappointment of the tournament. Seems to consistently make the worst decisions possible. If there's a chance to move the puck to a player, Rakell will find a way to try to deke two opponents and lose the puck. Flashy and useless.

Forsberg - Similar to Rakell but to a lesser degree, Forsberg also makes bad decisions but at least sometimes gets things right and creates something. Also works very hard. I think getting the captaincy might have caused him to try to do too much.

William Karlsson - Played with Rakell and Forsberg in the beginning of the tournament and never got to touch the puck. Still fighting it, and is plagued by bad luck. Still with that as an excuse, you can go almost a whole game without noticing him. Absolutely not good enough for someone who was supposed to be our best center.

Rielly - Not much icetime. His game clearly suffers when he gets to sit for extended periods, as soon as he sees more time on the ice his game improves. Decent 1v1 defensively, passive otherwise. No goals allowed though, have to count for something. Disappointment due to lack of icetime rather than performance, I think Rielly has had a quiet but competent tournament.

Murphy - Came into the tournament liking the guy, but he is getting dominated physically even on this level and makes two bad plays defensively for every good one. Way too many turnovers from such a talented passer and puck-mover. Seems to make the wrong decisions all the time. This is accentuated by the icetime he is receiving despite being Canadas worst defender.

Huberdeau - Mixes good with bad. Makes a couple of solid, smart plays that, while not flashy, creates scoring chances and then becomes too ambitious and coughs the puck up. His skating looks off, he should be skating way better than this. Not getting his game together, but is still helping that top line produce.

MacKinnon - Shows a more complete package than I thought he had, tries to do too much when he gets to play which leads to bad decisions and little effectiveness. Don't really expect him to do anything with the few small chances he gets.

Jones - Oozes potential and elite skills, lacks consistency and needs work on decision-making. Very, very raw but has talent enough to dominate. Has not had a good tournament, but has shown that he is an extreme talent.

Galchenyuk - Misused mostly, but could still take more initiative. This kid is so good in all zones, should have a bigger role if USA is to get that line going. As it is now, it seems he shapes his game around the others when it should be the other way around.

Yakupov - Shows little of his talents, seems way more selfish than he normally does. Could be coaching related since the same type of problems is seen with almost all russian forwards.

Grigorenko - Hard to judge a guy when every forward seems to suffer as they do.

Barkov - Has looked good to me. Not too flashy offensively, but very solid defensively and good at faceoffs. Strong, can hold on to the puck.

Hamilton - Started out looking weak and lost, not producing and not really showing his talent either as Jones did. Has grown into the tournament, and has played a strong overall game against Russia and USA. We know the offensive potential is there, so if he could add the solid game he's played lately to that then he will be a very good defenseman indeed.

Nithoniniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 05:40 AM
The Zetterberg Era
RIP Octopi

JT Miller and Grimaldi, although pretty whole top six deserves some mention. Miller is actually working hard so I credit him there, but he is really fighting the puck and probably should be in a more appropriate wing role right now with the problems he is having help him simplify his game. Grimaldi, well the benching was deserved, passes the puck only when he shouldn't then takes shots from completely bizarre angles. I think both guys are trying hard and in all honesty at this point they are tying to hard and it is hurting the teams at times. Part of the reason the third line from the US has looked good is they trust everyone to do their job on the line, the top two lines aren't doing this enough.

Yakupov and Slepyshev. Two guys I was really looking forward to watching in this tournament. Two guys that have been very underwhelming for me. Yakupov is supposed to be the captain and just the way he has approached portions of games has bothered me. I am sure that is his role, but he just isn't as impressive as I expected him to be. Not to mention he does things that even when determined make me scratch my head. I loved the effort but somebody in Edmonton needs to teach this kid how to block a shot without leaving yourself completely open to getting a puck in the face. Stuff like that and continuously trying for breakaway moments when they aren't there, makes me question people that used to talk up his hockey sense.

Really have actually liked the play of most of team Canada. I wouldn't call Murphy a disappointment because I didn't think he deserved on theirteam and he has played pretty much the exact way I have watched him play for a long time. What he provides in breathtaking skating and rushes, he more than takes away in useless turnovers and soft play. He is what he is, if he fully pans out that is a smaller version of Sandis Ozoliņš. Not a terrible player, tons of offense, but he can lose you a game (and probably will more often than not) just as easily as he can win it and those guys are never my favorites.

I have not got to see as much of the otherside of the tournament. The whole Finland team was pretty disappointing five on five. But the one player from the other side is Filip Forsberg as I usually do watch and root for Sweden as the second team of sorts as a Wings fan. I remember being stunned when Forsberg dropped in the draft but at times in this tournament I can see hints of maybe why he did. He doesn't use his teammates near enough in my opinion and takes a lot of dumb shots. I know he can pass but he just doesn't seem to be doing enough of it right now in my opinion.

Sometimes it is good to be selfish, but more often than not less is more in terms of what it will do for the team. Almost all the guys that have disappointed me are guys that seem to be trying too hard to accomplish things on their own. They have talent and I think they are good players but have been frustrating to watch. The fact they have the puck a lot does probably factor in because after all it is hard to be disappoitned if you don't have some expectations in the first place.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 07:28 AM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALI View Post
Disappointments

Can: Huberdeau, Murphy, Rielly, Hamilton
Finland: everyone but 2 players
USA: Grimaldi, Gal, Miller

Happy:

Can: Strome, Wootherspoon, Subban, Drouin, Danault, Ritchi
USA: Gaudreau, Trouba, Bardreau, Rielly
Really? I thought he sucked so far. I haven't seen the Solvak game but every other game he's been slow and looks like he is not trying.

jigsaw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 08:34 AM
SoundAndFury

Faksa. 2 points in 4 games as a top-6 center in a fairly decent team.. Just hasn't shown any real offensive ability.

Many other disappointments but this is certainly the biggest one.

SoundAndFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 08:36 AM
Paralyzer008

Nail Yakupov. Just hasn't risen to Nuge's level or even close for that matter

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 08:43 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Phil Housley

The choice of Mark Scheifele by some is strange to me. The guy reminds me of a young Bryan Skrudland with more talent. He's a hardworking heart and soul kind of guy who seem all over the place but I like his energy.

And Ryan Murphy is great. I think the kid will be something special, so talented.
M.A Bergeron v2.o in my opinion. Small, weak and defensively awful.

Scheifele has been great.

Estimated_Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 08:44 AM
HabsSlappy

All i see in this thread are unrealistic expectations.
Top drafted players are supposed to be good but they are not supposed to dominate every game with a hat trick when playing against the best players in their age group.

HabsSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 08:46 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

vCash: 900
Gaudreau and Hamilton by a lot

Ah, and Yakupov of course, elite skill but no hockey sense, looks like a much more inefficient version of the bad version of Ovechkin

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 11:17 AM
The Winter Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdubois585 View Post
Why do these threads always have to become fanbase A vs fanbase B. You can't criticize a prospect without having an entire fanbase jump on you. Galchenyuk got his fair share of criticism by Habs fan including me and Rielly the same by leafs fans. Same for Yakupov with Oilers fans. If a person doesn't agree with you why do you guys always have to bring up his prospect and put him down just for the sake of protecting the honor of your fanbase. It's okay to disagree but don't make it fanbase A vs fanbase B. It's just annoying.
I think this is a fair comment, while Galchenyuk has not been dissapointing on the scoresheet, he has not imposed his will in games against Canada and Slovakia. I don't know if he is this type of player, though in reality it is probably too early to tell.

To me this is a fair comparison, he strikes me closer to a Phil Kessel type player than a true franchise type player. When Gally is not involved he tends to sulk, if he is not scoring his contributions are minimal, he bangs his stick on the ice wanting the puck, if he doesn't get it he looks pissed, personally I hate when players do this. But the common thread for both players is they need to score or they are invisible on the ice.

Gally will probably be a lightning rod on Hockey boards for his career, as Kessel is. These type of players are at times overrated due to their inflated points totals, and the highlight reel goals they score. I see similarities in both players. Personally I like my players more rounded, but every team can use a Kessel, and perhaps Galchenyuk if he maxes out as a Kessel type player. I just don't see either as a true franchise player.

Both would probably make an excellent #2 to say a Toews type franchise fwd.

The Winter Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 11:26 AM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithoniniel View Post
Rakell - Disappointment of the tournament. Seems to consistently make the worst decisions possible. If there's a chance to move the puck to a player, Rakell will find a way to try to deke two opponents and lose the puck. Flashy and useless.

Forsberg - Similar to Rakell but to a lesser degree, Forsberg also makes bad decisions but at least sometimes gets things right and creates something. Also works very hard. I think getting the captaincy might have caused him to try to do too much.

William Karlsson - Played with Rakell and Forsberg in the beginning of the tournament and never got to touch the puck. Still fighting it, and is plagued by bad luck. Still with that as an excuse, you can go almost a whole game without noticing him. Absolutely not good enough for someone who was supposed to be our best center.

Rielly - Not much icetime. His game clearly suffers when he gets to sit for extended periods, as soon as he sees more time on the ice his game improves. Decent 1v1 defensively, passive otherwise. No goals allowed though, have to count for something. Disappointment due to lack of icetime rather than performance, I think Rielly has had a quiet but competent tournament.

Murphy - Came into the tournament liking the guy, but he is getting dominated physically even on this level and makes two bad plays defensively for every good one. Way too many turnovers from such a talented passer and puck-mover. Seems to make the wrong decisions all the time. This is accentuated by the icetime he is receiving despite being Canadas worst defender.

Huberdeau - Mixes good with bad. Makes a couple of solid, smart plays that, while not flashy, creates scoring chances and then becomes too ambitious and coughs the puck up. His skating looks off, he should be skating way better than this. Not getting his game together, but is still helping that top line produce.

MacKinnon - Shows a more complete package than I thought he had, tries to do too much when he gets to play which leads to bad decisions and little effectiveness. Don't really expect him to do anything with the few small chances he gets.

Jones - Oozes potential and elite skills, lacks consistency and needs work on decision-making. Very, very raw but has talent enough to dominate. Has not had a good tournament, but has shown that he is an extreme talent.

Galchenyuk - Misused mostly, but could still take more initiative. This kid is so good in all zones, should have a bigger role if USA is to get that line going. As it is now, it seems he shapes his game around the others when it should be the other way around.

Yakupov - Shows little of his talents, seems way more selfish than he normally does. Could be coaching related since the same type of problems is seen with almost all russian forwards.

Grigorenko - Hard to judge a guy when every forward seems to suffer as they do.

Barkov - Has looked good to me. Not too flashy offensively, but very solid defensively and good at faceoffs. Strong, can hold on to the puck.

Hamilton - Started out looking weak and lost, not producing and not really showing his talent either as Jones did. Has grown into the tournament, and has played a strong overall game against Russia and USA. We know the offensive potential is there, so if he could add the solid game he's played lately to that then he will be a very good defenseman indeed.
Even as a leaf fan I can understand why his icetime has been limited. You have several solid shutdown defenders out there so he's only seeing a lot of PP time and the odd 5 on 5 shift. He has looked very good imo in the limited ice time though and leads all TC D in points. The one decision that doesn't make sense is putting Murphy out there as often as he is. I understand he's on the same team as the coach but come on... Pat Quinn didn't play McCabe in the 02 Olympics just because.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 11:28 AM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Yakupov, the guy crumbles in big games. He has been a non factor in the Summer Series, Subway Series and now here. Through 11 games at the WJC he has 1 goal, and it is against Germany, just unnaceptable. He has a bunch of assists but that comes from point poaching against weaker teams and plays that he has made little impact on.
... Definitely no Kuznetsov or Tarasenko, these guys are game breakers.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 11:32 AM
theboss*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
I think this is a fair comment, while Galchenyuk has not been dissapointing on the scoresheet, he has not imposed his will in games against Canada and Slovakia. I don't know if he is this type of player, though in reality it is probably too early to tell.

To me this is a fair comparison, he strikes me closer to a Phil Kessel type player than a true franchise type player. When Gally is not involved he tends to sulk, if he is not scoring his contributions are minimal, he bangs his stick on the ice wanting the puck, if he doesn't get it he looks pissed, personally I hate when players do this. But the common thread for both players is they need to score or they are invisible on the ice.

Gally will probably be a lightning rod on Hockey boards for his career, as Kessel is. These type of players are at times overrated due to their inflated points totals, and the highlight reel goals they score. I see similarities in both players. Personally I like my players more rounded, but every team can use a Kessel, and perhaps Galchenyuk if he maxes out as a Kessel type player. I just don't see either as a true franchise player.

Both would probably make an excellent #2 to say a Toews type franchise fwd.
Gally is nothing like Kessel, Gally is like a hossa, Toews type

theboss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 11:35 AM
The Winter Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss View Post
Gally is nothing like Kessel, Gally is like a hossa, Toews type
How is Gally like Toews? I don't see that comparison and Hossa is not Kessel and certainly not Toews.

Old
01-01-2013, 11:37 AM
jokerboysmith

So far Yakapov has disapointed.

jokerboysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 11:42 AM
theboss*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
How is Gally like Toews? I don't see that comparison and Hossa is not Kessel and certainly not Toews.
I said Gally is like a hossa, jt type meaning he has some qualities of their game in his game. Yeah I prefer Hossa over kessel

theboss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 11:48 AM
AwesomePanthers
Atlantic winners

Yakupov, Hamilton and Grimaldi for me.

And I don't get why people bring Huberdeau here. He has been good, made some crazy passes and lots of good hockey plays. People have been "hating" on him all tournament long..

AwesomePanthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 11:54 AM
The Winter Soldier

Quote:
I said Gally is like a hossa, jt type meaning he has some qualities of their game in his game. Yeah I prefer Hossa over kessel
I can partially agree with the Hossa comparison, though to me, Hossa's defensive game is likely better and he is less skilled then Galcheyuk is.

Galchenyuk has more similaries to Kessel's game, skill and size wise they are about equal, Kessel is probably a tad faster, Kessel is listed as 6'0 200 lbs to Galchenyuk's 6'1 198lbs, he was also a Center converted to a winger. Both need to score or they are practically invisible in games, both have excellent shots, and both want and need the puck, both are offensive players with little physical play to their games. The one thing they both have is they get down when they don't score. Really this is one thing that I have critiqued Kessel on, and I see this trait in Gally.

Both are extremely talented players. I see more similarities with Kessel than Toews or Hossa.

Old
01-01-2013, 12:13 PM
Atomos2
Auston 20:16

vCash: 543
Quote:
Meh, I think those two arent that accurate. After watching him several times in Sarnia, I'd say he's prolly more like a Tyler Seguin, Derek Roy type of player (except taller). The Toews comparison is not good at all, especially in terms of defensive play and faceoffs although he's not bad defensively.

Like Seguin he's not usually the one who holds the puck for relatively long periods of time, sets things up and makes plays. Usually, its once the puck is on his stick when something happens. He can make a brilliant pass, or his go to forehand-backhand deke, a snipe shot.

The comparison with Kessel can only be used talking about streakiness. When he gets hot, he gets hot but he can turn completely invisible in games where it doesn't look like he's on the ice at all. Still a very good and talented scorer, but I don't see Toews in him at all.

Atomos2 is offline   Reply With Quote