HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > IIHF World Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
IIHF World Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Group B • Dec. 31 • Russia 1, Canada 4 • Part III

Closed Thread

Old
12-31-2012, 01:14 PM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 50
Time to put on the homer goggles a bit, but I loved Scheifele's compete in the front of the net on his goal. He outworked 3 Russians for the puck and potted it behind Makarov. Really could have done without the turnover on the Russian goal, though. Absolute blast of a game to watch.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:21 PM
Canada4Gold

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlms13 View Post
I would like to point out that despite how much Canada dominated the Russians, the score in 5 on 5 was 1-1 and if it wasn't for the 5 minute major that most people thought should have been 2 minutes Canada may not have scored those first 2 goals. I wouldn't be celebrating too much.

And Nichushkin will probably get a one game suspension (it's the iihf) it will be served in a game that lets face it, Russia will win easily. Sorry Swiss fans.
which most people are you talking about? Did you poll only Russians here, or did you include the anti Canadians from other countries as well?

Most people agree with the 5 and a game, there have been a couple people disagreeing though

Old
12-31-2012, 01:25 PM
c9gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada4Gold View Post
Most people agree with the 5 and a game, there have been a couple people disagreeing though
Being a hard core Russian fan I still agree with the 5 min penalty and think it should be a 1 game suspension as well. On the other hand ( at least in my opinion) this penalty was the main reason Russia lost today.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:27 PM
Canada4Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by c9gunner View Post
Being a hard core Russian fan I still agree with the 5 min penalty and think it should be a 1 game suspension as well. On the other hand ( at least in my opinion) this penalty was the main reason Russia lost today.
I'm fine with that. That part is debatable, I still think Canada would have won without the 5 minute PP, but it obviously would have been closer.

The fact of the matter is we cannot go back and pretend the game was played without certain things happening, the hit happened, the penalty happened, if Russia don't want to have a game be so impacted by a 5 minute major they shouldn't be taking 5 minute majors

Old
12-31-2012, 01:28 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
5 on 4 = 2-0
5 on 5 = 1-1
5 on 6 = 1-0

Canada was better, no matter how you slice it.
lol nice try

Old
12-31-2012, 01:29 PM
JetsFlyHigh

Yea Canada!

This was the biggest test for us, vs Russians IN Russia. I love the crowd, this is how hockey should be. Team Canada showed their real game, great on offense, great on defense, and great goaltending. Subban was a wall, as well as Markov. I'd blame the cheerleaders for this, but Russia's defense was non existent. I think they play a little bit of their own game than a team game.

I'm excited for Scheifele, he's grown so much since the Jets drafted him. I look forward seeing him in a year or two along with Trouba. Good picks by the Jets management. Things are looking up. Playoffs in a few years. But of course end the lockout.

Go Canada Go!

Old
12-31-2012, 01:31 PM
um

Quote:
which most people are you talking about? Did you poll only Russians here, or did you include the anti Canadians from other countries as well?

i didnt see many people arguing against the anti 5 min major people, i think they're just happy to get 5 minutes of power play time

Old
12-31-2012, 01:34 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

vCash: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
lol nice try
Then it's:

5 on 4 = 2-0
5 on 5 = 2-1

Canada scored 4 goals, but only 2 were on the PP.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:35 PM
c9gunner

Quote:
they shouldn't be taking 5 minute majors
Agreed. And personally I still think Russia would be better off by taking the second place in the group than getting a bye in to the semis right away.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:35 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 1012
Quote:
i didnt see many people arguing against the anti 5 min major people, i think they're just happy to get 5 minutes of power play time
At the time of the call, many of us, myself included, said that it was too severe of a call. As a Canadian fan, I won'T complain about the result, but I didn't like that it was a 5 and a game. 2+10 would have been enough, IMO.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:36 PM
Canada4Gold

Quote:
I read many people here basically laughing at those who said that wasn't a penalty when the game was over. At the time no not really, they understanably be too focussed on the game to argue about whether it was a penalty

Old
12-31-2012, 01:36 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

vCash: 555
Quote:
1. Not willing to argue something so stupid =/= agreeing
2. Take a closer look.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:37 PM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eerie Hurdler View Post
Not sure why Harrington gets mentioned and Ouellet doesn't. I thought Ouellet played just as well. I guess he's even quieter than the already quiet Harrington.
Quellet is solid too but Harrington has a nasty streak and is good at clearing the front of the net.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:38 PM
JetsFlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
At the time of the call, many of us, myself included, said that it was too severe of a call. As a Canadian fan, I won'T complain about the result, but I didn't like that it was a 5 and a game. 2+10 would have been enough, IMO.
And a game? I think 5 minutes was enough. It wasn't a fair hit, but it wasn't bad either.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:39 PM
Alerion
Get the Can Opener

Quote:
It's an automatic 5 because he was injured. Not sure if the injury decision was based on the fact that he stayed down (Mikus, for example) or because the ref thought the blood on his face was from the Nichushkin hit (although Wotherspoon did get cut by the hit from behind) but that's why it was 5+10 as opposed to 2+10. The only thing I dislike is how often the initial call is change based on the outcome of the play instead of the play itself.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:42 PM
c9gunner

Quote:
At the time of the call, many of us, myself included, said that it was too severe of a call.
The call was consistent with the penalties they imposed in the previous games. If they want to send a certain message, they just have to stay consistent. So I’m OK with this kind of calls in this tournament. (Although I wouldn’t agree with this penalty in an AHL/NHL game)

Old
12-31-2012, 01:49 PM
Nash

Great game by Canada. There weren't many quality chances by Russia. Subban only had to make a few tough saves. Yakupov did nothing effectively. You would think the big ice would be a boon with his speed, but it just seems like he has more space out wide and stays there. Slepyshev was one of the only Russian forwards going all game. I have to give props to Murphy. He was moving the puck well today, simplified his game and played a very effective game.

Old
12-31-2012, 01:49 PM
22Brad Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by c9gunner View Post
Agreed. And personally I still think Russia would be better off by taking the second place in the group than getting a bye in to the semis right away.
Do not give me any that baloney,You guys got hammered all over the ice,I think if the 5 min major and losing a top player yas have never happened you would been better for it but still,yas got smoked all over the ice,Game was never in doubt one bit,I knew it and said it days ago too.,I am pulling for USA as always but Canada has one heck of a team and will be really tough to beat,Good luck is all i can say,

Old
12-31-2012, 01:57 PM
Canada4Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Brad Park View Post
Do not give me any that baloney,You guys got hammered all over the ice,I think if the 5 min major and losing a top player yas have never happened you would been better for it but still,yas got smoked all over the ice,Game was never in doubt one bit,I knew it and said it days ago too.,I am pulling for USA as always but Canada has one heck of a team and will be really tough to beat,Good luck is all i can say,
He never said that Canada didn't beat them. You're been conditioned to automatically disagree with Russian posters.

Look at it as facts, Russia has Swiss then Sweden. Canada has USA after 2 days off. Honestly I'd almost prefer what Russia has. They likely won't lose to Switzerland, and then gets Sweden who in my mind aren't as good as the USA. Canada could be rusty going into that game you never know.

Fact of the matter is it's not like Russia is screwed, they lost yes, Canada beat them yes, but the way it's set up I'd bet on Russia/Canada in the final so don't get all cocky yet.

Old
12-31-2012, 02:02 PM
22Brad Park

Quote:
He never said that Canada didn't beat them. You're been conditioned to automatically disagree with Russian posters.

Look at it as facts, Russia has Swiss then Sweden. Canada has USA after 2 days off. Honestly I'd almost prefer what Russia has. They likely won't lose to Switzerland, and then gets Sweden who in my mind aren't as good as the USA. Canada could be rusty going into that game you never know.

Fact of the matter is it's not like Russia is screwed, they lost yes, Canada beat them yes, but the way it's set up I'd bet on Russia/Canada in the final so don't get all cocky yet.
The other day on USA vs Russia thread i had few conversations with few them one of which is hiding today....Believe me,they know what i mean.anyhow hAPPY NEWYEARS TO YAS ALL,NICE WIN

Old
12-31-2012, 02:08 PM
c9gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Brad Park View Post
I am pulling for USA as always but Canada has one heck of a team and will be really tough to beat,Good luck is all i can say,
I'd say - Good luck to you. My guess is that the US and Canada will meet in the semifinal. Russia should be OK in Group A as I think that the US is stronger than Switzerland or Sweden, So in my opinon Russia has far better chances to advance to the final playing in group A.

And yes, today Russia lost to the better team.

Old
12-31-2012, 02:11 PM
c9gunner

Quote:
They likely won't lose to Switzerland, and then gets Sweden who in my mind aren't as good as the USA.
You read my mind.

Quote:
Canada could be rusty going into that game you never know.
It happened before. A red hot team coming from a quarterfinal game wins over a team that got a bye in from the round robin. And I'd rather Russia play against Sweden than the US.

Old
12-31-2012, 02:14 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
Then it's:

5 on 4 = 2-0
5 on 5 = 2-1

Canada scored 4 goals, but only 2 were on the PP.
how stupid do you think people are. stop counting the empty net goal

Old
12-31-2012, 02:18 PM
RageEllimama

I never really understood this but how does Russia manage to give up 40+ shots everygame?

Old
12-31-2012, 02:22 PM
Canada4Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageEllimama View Post
I never really understood this but how does Russia manage to give up 40+ shots everygame?
I've heard that they don't mind giving up low % shots that go in at a higher % than their shots do

Closed Thread