HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Insider "Kickbacks"

Old
12-31-2012, 03:09 PM
DonthaveaCOWEN

vCash: 500
Insider "Kickbacks"

I was thinking about this the other day. Now with Twitter, there are more "hockey insiders" than you can name. To get to the top and recognized, you have to be the first to report something big and do it frequently. Basically what I'm saying is, in almost every other industry there are some form of "kickbacks" when it comes to procurement, contract bidding, etc. I wonder if this culture exists in pro sports where "Big Name Big Broadcaster Insider" gives "kickbacks" to hockey ops people around the league in exchange for quick and breaking information. When I'm saying hockey ops I mean people in the front office not neccesarily GM's but people in their close group. I think it must.

DonthaveaCOWEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 03:11 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonthaveaCOWEN View Post
I was thinking about this the other day. Now with Twitter, there are more "hockey insiders" than you can name. To get to the top and recognized, you have to be the first to report something big and do it frequently. Basically what I'm saying is, in almost every other industry there are some form of "kickbacks" when it comes to procurement, contract bidding, etc. I wonder if this culture exists in pro sports where "Big Name Big Broadcaster Insider" gives "kickbacks" to hockey ops people around the league in exchange for quick and breaking information. When I'm saying hockey ops I mean people in the front office not neccesarily GM's but people in their close group. I think it must.
Considering who many of these insiders work for...this is not a surprise.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 04:51 PM
jkrdevil
UnRegistered User

Most of what "insiders" break are press release stuff. Basically stuff the teams/league are going to announce to the public soon after. They give the news to the reporter of their choice in hopes that down the road they can garner positive press if they need it.

jkrdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 05:06 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrdevil View Post
Most of what "insiders" break are press release stuff. Basically stuff the teams/league are going to announce to the public soon after. They give the news to the reporter of their choice in hopes that down the road they can garner positive press if they need it.
Some posters here must have got a ton of info in the past....

Joke, don't sue I'm poor...

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote