HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Players that impressed the most

Old
12-31-2012, 07:36 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

vCash: 500
Unfortunately I've only been able to watch Canada regularly, and for them:

Drouin
Wotherspoon
Subban

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 07:59 PM
EvoLu7ioN

Let's not get carried away with Trouba here.

He's a 9th overall pick, smooth skating dman with decent size. He can line up the open ice hit nicely, and play that defensive shutdown role nicely. Also posses a big shot from the point.

With that said, he's a returning player which helps his performance in this tournament. Also, he doesn't possess the offensive prowess play the role of a true PP QB. Sure he's a weapon with his shot, and he can make a pass if it's there, but he doesn't have the creativity or vision of a true offensive QB. He's good at a lot of things, but not elite at any. Honestly, think Nick Kronwall for comparison. Definitely a valuable guy, but not a guy you can build your team around. A borderline #1 dman, likely a #2 at the NHL level.

EvoLu7ioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 10:26 PM
pld459666

I could care less about my post, but it's pretty telling that a post that focuses on the negative (disappointing players at the WJC's) gets 51 posts in an hour, but one that focuses on the positive gets less than 30 in 5 and a half hours.

Are we that cynical that we watch these tournaments looking for failure?

Reply if you want, don't need them really. I was just thinking out loud.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 10:26 PM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

vCash: 69
For me it's Trouba.
RNH was always a given to be great. We knew he could do this. Trouba looks like a pro playing with prospects. I can only imagine how good he'll be after he decides he's done with NCAA play. I was one of the few who thought he was good enough to go top 5 last year. So happy Winnipeg got him, and I'm so proud of his play.

I also really like Ristolainen and Drouin. I think both should end up going top 10 guaranteed. To me Ristolainen is just a notch below Jones. It's good to see Gibson playing well too. Could've done better against Slovakia, but he made some good saves. Projecting goaltenders is always a hard thing to do, but Gibson is making me confident that we might have gotten a starting quality goaltender AND a good depth scorer for a pick that ended up being Tyler Biggs.

But this thread has already been done, maybe a which players have disappointed you thread? But that one could turn out ugly.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 10:34 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Yarullin

VanIslander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 10:39 PM
Erik Estrada

Trouba. A rock defensively and very dangerous offensively.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2012, 10:59 PM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

vCash: 69
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...1312985&page=6

Old thread BTW. Maybe we can merge

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:17 AM
TylerSVT*

Gaudreau

/Thread

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:25 AM
BruinsBtn

Another vote for Trouba here.

Grigorenko answered a lot of the questions as well and looks like he should have been picked higher.

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:30 AM
Fire Julien

Kucherov

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:35 AM
kp61c

vCash: 50
i didnt see him till this tournament, but jones stood out among the others. an elite player we have here

kp61c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:50 AM
KRM

Nilsson and Arvidsson for Sweden.

KRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:55 AM
Kadri43

Ryan Murphy. He was absolutely excellent.

Kadri43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:12 PM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

John Goudreau for USA. It's funny because I used to see him around here and there because his dad was a power skating instructor at the rink where I started playing. He was always this tiny little kid who skated so much better than most of the other guys that he played up a couple levels. He's still tiny, but he's got some slick hands and a nice shot.

Four Boilermakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:14 PM
TheNuge

Most Impressive players at the wjc(IMO)

First off, I'd like to say hi to all on the board! Ive followed this board for quiet a while and finally decided to jump in and take part!

To start my first thread, I'd ask that you all take note of (IMO) in my opinion in the title, you guys can feel free to share your thoughts too, but please refrain from
Bashing everyone else's ideas.

1. Sebastian collberg - the 5'11" winger from Sweden has impressed me the most, he has been clutch in there shootout, he doesn't put up impressive numbers with 7 points so far in the tournament but for me has certainly led the swedish team
To where they want to go.

- A steal in the second round of last years draft for the Montreal canadians.

2. Marko Dano - The 5'11" slovakian forward has been a threat to the top medal contenders all tournament long, with his quick release and smooth skating. Too bad he went 26th overall in the KHL would of loved to see him in the NHL.

3. John Gibson - The Kitchener rangers starting goaltender, has led team USA with strong goaltendin performances in every game, holding canada to 2 goals in there first meeting and a single marker in there semi final meeting. Also holding the Russians to 2 goals in there matchup.. We will see how he fairs in the gold medal game with the pressure, but none the less he makes my list
Great pick up for the anahiem ducks in 2011

Let's hear your top 3 !

TheNuge

TheNuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:15 PM
General Granny*

Gibson
Trouba
Goudreau

General Granny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:25 PM
liquid swords
bring the ruckus

the biggest (pleasant) surprise of the tournament for me has been mikhail grigorenko. being a sabres fan i've tried to watch as much of him as i can, and he has certainly not disappointed. unreal vision, slick hands... i think the sky is the limit for this kid and he may go down as the steal of the '12 draft.

liquid swords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:26 PM
Spinkis

Did mostly watch group A and the quarter/semis.
Gibson
Gaudreau
Elias Lindholm

HM: Trouba, Hägg, Sanberg, Collberg, Wikstrand, Andrighetto

Spinkis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:27 PM
PhillyBluesFan

Gibson
Lindholm
Goudreau

PhillyBluesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:30 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Gibson, Grigorenko, Drouin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadri43 View Post
Ryan Murphy. He was absolutely excellent.
Given his tremendous offensive skill, I feel like we would have been in a much better place if Spott had given him more ice time, allowing him to play both forward and defense

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:31 PM
kobbe

Only seen todays game with him but Johnny Gaudreau looked dangerous everytime he had the puck. Great speed, hands, creativity and a good wrister.

kobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:32 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid swords View Post
the biggest (pleasant) surprise of the tournament for me has been mikhail grigorenko. being a sabres fan i've tried to watch as much of him as i can, and he has certainly not disappointed. unreal vision, slick hands... i think the sky is the limit for this kid and he may go down as the steal of the '12 draft.
As a Sabres fan...I'd say McCabe has been the best (pleasant) surprise from our prospects. USA Captain who has really steadied that D (specifcally Jones), and made some plays. Grigorenko, Girgensons, and McCabe could be a killer class if they all progress as expected.

But yeah, Grigs has been great with Kucherov this tourney.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:44 PM
TheNuge

Must admit for being a small guy gaudreau looked impressive today vs Canada.. Then again Canada looked legless, no life in there bench

TheNuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:54 PM
hawksfan50

Well--from the drafteds obviously Trouba and Gaudreau and RNH (except for this MIA game in the semis loss to USA)..

From the undrafteds as yet-- Jones,Ristolainen and Drouin...

I think it is clear their are 3 tiers early in round one through the first 10 or 12 picks..

The 1st tier consists of 3 draft eligibles---Drouin,Jones ,Ristolainen --the 2nd tier consists of Barkov,and MacKinnon--who having only a limited role and few minutes and not at his normal C position anyway cannot really be judged for his WJHC --except for some possible doubts if he really is so specially great since he could not move anyone off higher lines to grab more minutes for himself -but I think scouts still willnot judge him too harshly given he did not get the chance to play on supposed scoring lines (top 2 lines) -AND ZADOROV --who the Russkies choose not to include on their roster --electing to go with more older experienced d-men but who would have easily made most other teams rosters at the tournament ..

The 3rd tier is everyone else considered for a top pick through 10 or 12 ...lump in
Lindholm,Wennberg,Horvat,Nikushkin--that takes us to ten --then Domi and Mantha at the outer edge of 11 and 12 trying to nudge someone out of the 7-10 spots..
The rest of probably has 2 more tiers but I have not yet sorted it out..

BUT to me i see a cream of the crop 3 best D-men draft prospects---Jones Ristolainen and Zadorov and a cream of the crop top 3 forwards --Drouin,Barkov and Mackinnon --so I think the "conensus" on this is already established --and these willbe your top six picks but of course the order may not be as I would rate them now -may change by season's end or change by actual needs of teams--the Barkov v. Mackinnon debate willbe interesting in scouts minds but because of that divide I think Drouin will be ranked ahead of them as to who goes first among these 3 forwards ..The showing by Ristolainen at the WJHC and the fact Zadorov wasn't there probably make the 3 premium d-men going in the order of Jones ,Ristolainen and Zadorov..The only possible change i can see in that top six would be IF Bo Horvat explodes to an even higher scoring pace and "dominance" in the 2nd half --he looks like he is scoring goals at a faster pace than early this season and if that continues or accelerates then he could "muscle" his way into a top six spot from merely a 7-10 spot...

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:56 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Grigorenko leads the tournament with 30 SOG despite being too unselfish at times. Too me, he's looked like by far the most talented player in the tournament. Even though his finishing hasn't been there, no single player has as much of a presence on the ice as him.

stokes84 is offline   Reply With Quote