HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Chicago Wolves Discussion - Part VII

Closed Thread

Old
01-11-2013, 12:30 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

vCash: 500
The couple Wolves games I saw recently Ebbett looked good. I definately think his chances are as good as Schroeder's due to his experience.

Really looking forward to see how Schroeder and especially Kassian do early on. Big advantage being at mid season form while their NHL counterparts have been on an extended leave. I fully expect Tanev to put Ballard under his wing as well.

Look for Lapierre to have a bit of a coming out party. He's bigger and stronger, says he won't be chirping this season and will have a career year IMO playing with better linemates than he's been accustom to.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:52 AM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
The couple Wolves games I saw recently Ebbett looked good. I definately think his chances are as good as Schroeder's due to his experience.

Really looking forward to see how Schroeder and especially Kassian do early on. Big advantage being at mid season form while their NHL counterparts have been on an extended leave. I fully expect Tanev to put Ballard under his wing as well.

Look for Lapierre to have a bit of a coming out party. He's bigger and stronger, says he won't be chirping this season and will have a career year IMO playing with better linemates than he's been accustom to.
If Lappy stops being a puck hog then he might turn into a 3rd liner. He can shoot and cycle the puck well but it's like he wants to be the hero every time.

Old
01-11-2013, 12:54 AM
shortshorts
broken athlete

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
If Lappy stops being a puck hog then he might turn into a 3rd liner. He can shoot and cycle the puck well but it's like he wants to be the hero every time.
He's offensively limited. Making sure getting the puck on net is a much safer/easier option than passing the puck.

Old
01-11-2013, 01:09 AM
Pseudonymous

With who lapierre usually plays with, i'd shoot it on net before passing too. hah

even when he was playing with kassian, its not like kassian is a shooter (yet)

Old
01-11-2013, 01:47 AM
Reverend Mayhem
1 for you, 19 for me

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
If he did a lot of things differently he'd be a much better player.
Personally I had no complaints when he was our 3rd line center. That 3rd line we had in 2011 was the best third line we've had in terms of filling potential since I've been around.

Old
01-11-2013, 07:31 AM
orcatown

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
I was just reading Kuzma's Ebbett and Schroeder article, what a crock. Talks of Ebbett like a young stud ready to take on a 2nd line role. While Schroeder is portrayed as highly inconsistent shift to shift and that he is notorious for doing something wrong on every other shift. I vehemently disagree this view but what do others think?

I understand Schroeder will have his work cut out for him in this shortened camp, but I think that's a bold faced lie used for some reason to diminish his abilities. I think he's been at least the most consistent forward defensively.

Also what do others think of Hennings quote of Ebbett being the best player for the Wolves in December?
Couldn't agree more. It's difficult to hear these guys spouting off when they have done so little homework. Expecting Ebbett to step into the #2 center position is a little like asking Ryan Shannon to take the position. And Shannon had quite a bit more speed than Ebbett

Ebbett is a player that has to play in the creases of the play and has no where near the strength or quickness to handle NHL defensemen in traffic. That's been clearly evident during any of his brief stints in the NHL.

I would say Ebbett has been better of late in Chicago but he had a very poor start to the season and his stats, given all the first line play and PP time, are not that great. He ranks near 100th in scoring in the AHL and has scored only 7 goals. Moreover, Ebbett's efforts on the special teams has contributed to those teams being among the worst in the AHL. Ebbett's play exhibits nothing like the kind of breakout season the bozo Kuzma is suggesting.

I also believe that Schroeder, at his best, has been better than Ebbett at his best.
Does this mean Schroeder is ready? Probably not. But he seems far more likely to be able to raise his game than the re-thread Ebbett. Watching Schroeder, at times, gives you the impression that he has the skill and speed to contribute. When I watch Ebbett I never get that impression. Kuzma may be right that Schroeder isn't ready but it hardly follows, from what I have seen, that Ebbett is.

I don't really believe reporters like Kuzma (who seems a nice enough guy) are dishonest but are simply not that bright or hard working. They show not only a limited knowledge but also and inability to analyze the knowledge they do have. And really there is no one in the Vancouver media pushing the envelope by providing the type of intelligent and well researched insight about the team that would push others to get more thoughtful about doing their jobs. To me, announcers like the folksy Garrett and overly intense Valk say nothing that isn't obvious and trite and the newspapers most often follow suit. I think few knowledgeable fans actually go to these people to learn more about the team. All these reporters seem nice and cozy in their banality.

Ultimately, it is sites like this with posters like you feebster and others like Tiranis that provide the most interesting and topical discussions about the team. (and it is my guess that the media in Vancouver probably get most of their ideas and info from such posters) And that is strange since you would think that those getting paid to do this job would at least be as devoted and able as those doing it as a past time.

Old
01-11-2013, 08:43 AM
Orca Smash

vCash: 50
thank god im not going insane, i brought all this up in another thread, why kuzma and others were hyping ebbett as 2nd line player.

WTF is going on. I would like to invite them here and have him, valk, and even murphy tell us what ebbett has done to deserve 2nd line nhl time.

Old
01-11-2013, 09:15 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
And just like Schroeder, Ebbett has been enjoying a solid season in Chicago, where he has collected 10 goals and 23 points in 28 games.

"The last month he has probably been the best player down in Chicago," Henning said. "He has really picked his game up. He's killing penalties, he's on the power play, he's a really big force for them down there. He's a heady player, has got great hockey sense, he's very reliable and he can play all three forward positions."

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/C...#ixzz2Hdxrt7Zp
Quote:
Sometimes makes me question our talent evaluators at times..
Ebbett has 7 goals and 21 points in 29 games If you're going to stat watch and act like you know what's going on, at least get the stats right.

Old
01-11-2013, 09:52 AM
arsmaster

I'm starting to doubt the management teams eye for 'hockey sense' as judged by Barker being invited to camp.

Old
01-11-2013, 09:55 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Ebbett has 7 goals and 21 points in 29 games If you're going to stat watch and act like you know what's going on, at least get the stats right.
The way Kuzma makes him out, we shouldn't be in any rush to get Kesler back.

Old
01-11-2013, 09:59 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I'm starting to doubt the management teams eye for 'hockey sense' as judged by Barker being invited to camp.
You guys are looking into this wayyy too much. They need some warm bodies for camp (as evidenced by the Cannatta callup) and can't take those from the Wolves. This invite means nothing.

Old
01-11-2013, 05:41 PM
TLinden16
Horse

vCash: 1200
Agreed. Barker invite is not nearly as dreadful as thought. Why not invite a guy on a last-chance tryout? If he sucks, he was a warm body and helped not decimate the Moose during camp. If he plays his ass off, give him a league minimum contract and let him fight for his career all season. At least it will give Ballard/Alberts an extra push to play too.

Vandermeer does not fit this team's style in the least, he's a slower, worse Alberts. Why was everyone OK with his rumoured invite?

Old
01-11-2013, 06:28 PM
racerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLinden16 View Post
Agreed. Barker invite is not nearly as dreadful as thought. Why not invite a guy on a last-chance tryout? If he sucks, he was a warm body and helped not decimate the Moose during camp. If he plays his ass off, give him a league minimum contract and let him fight for his career all season. At least it will give Ballard/Alberts an extra push to play too.

Vandermeer does not fit this team's style in the least, he's a slower, worse Alberts. Why was everyone OK with his rumoured invite?
To be fair, Barker is also not some sort of speed demon...

Old
01-11-2013, 06:29 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
I don't really believe reporters like Kuzma (who seems a nice enough guy) are dishonest but are simply not that bright or hard working. They show not only a limited knowledge but also and inability to analyze the knowledge they do have. And really there is no one in the Vancouver media pushing the envelope by providing the type of intelligent and well researched insight about the team that would push others to get more thoughtful about doing their jobs. To me, announcers like the folksy Garrett and overly intense Valk say nothing that isn't obvious and trite and the newspapers most often follow suit. I think few knowledgeable fans actually go to these people to learn more about the team. All these reporters seem nice and cozy in their banality.

Ultimately, it is sites like this with posters like you feebster and others like Tiranis that provide the most interesting and topical discussions about the team. (and it is my guess that the media in Vancouver probably get most of their ideas and info from such posters) And that is strange since you would think that those getting paid to do this job would at least be as devoted and able as those doing it as a past time.
That's a fair assessment on Kuzma and on our local media. Just wish that even through their laziness, there would be something factual in what they are presenting. Wishful thinking!

Thanks for those kind words. Kudos to you as well for providing your take on the Wolves.

--------

So who do you think we are going to lose to Canucks camp after our back to back, since AV said he wants 6-7 more bodies? That is a huge number considering the Wolves have 4 games between the start and end of training camp. It'll be a ghost town in Chi-town.

Old
01-11-2013, 09:47 PM
Buffalo In A Carwash

Wow, Sterling with a hattrick in the first period.

Old
01-11-2013, 09:50 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenInBlack View Post
Wow, Sterling with a hattrick in the first period.
Nice to see the AHL vets picking it up.

LOL at EDM's farm team, lost 7-0 today.

Old
01-11-2013, 09:59 PM
arsmaster

Is anyone watching?

I'd be interested to know the lineup and dpairs.

Polasek with an assist.

Blain has been called up I see, he really intrigues me with his size and skating ability.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:01 PM
racerjoe

Quote:
That's a fair assessment on Kuzma and on our local media. Just wish that even through their laziness, there would be something factual in what they are presenting. Wishful thinking!

Thanks for those kind words. Kudos to you as well for providing your take on the Wolves.

--------

So who do you think we are going to lose to Canucks camp after our back to back, since AV said he wants 6-7 more bodies? That is a huge number considering the Wolves have 4 games between the start and end of training camp. It'll be a ghost town in Chi-town.
My theory one the media here is Vancouver is such a Canucks info starved town you can feed them anything at they eat it up.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:20 PM
Hansen 36
mfw snitch

vCash: 499
Was the level of play seriously that much better with the lockout in the AHL that these AHL stars couldn't keep up?

Old
01-11-2013, 10:27 PM
LickTheEnvelope
Decertified Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Nice to see the AHL vets picking it up.

LOL at EDM's farm team, lost 7-0 today.
Huh and the Flames didn't call up Brodie, Horak or Irving for camp?

Old
01-11-2013, 10:28 PM
LickTheEnvelope
Decertified Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen 36 View Post
Was the level of play seriously that much better with the lockout in the AHL that these AHL stars couldn't keep up?
The Heat look like basically the same team -Bartschi...

Edit:

Holy F did I read that right? Nemisz with 0 points, -4 in 16 GP? o_O

Old
01-11-2013, 10:33 PM
Buffalo In A Carwash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen 36 View Post
I'm not sure about the other games, but the Heat's goalie was pulled after letting in 3 goals from ~10 shots. Sounds like the he kind of stunk it up.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:35 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
The Heat look like basically the same team -Bartschi...

Edit:

Holy F did I read that right? Nemisz with 0 points, -4 in 16 GP? o_O
Nemisz is a crap prospect who happened to play on the Windsor Spitfires in the Hall era.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:37 PM
Bitz and Bites

I wonder if Henning and the media toadies are pumping up Ebbett as the answer to our huge opening at 2C while Kesler is out so we don't look desperate in trade negotiations with TO or whoever else is in on Loungo.

Old
01-11-2013, 10:38 PM
WolfKeeper

I caught the Abbotsford pregame while driving home on HomeIce -- they're not recalling anyone until after the weekend.

Irving didn't have a start for almost a month.

Chicago broadcast extra bonus color (and goal calls in Swedish) by Eddie Lack.

Closed Thread