HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chicago Wolves Discussion - Part VII

Closed Thread

Old
01-12-2013, 11:10 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

vCash: 500
PP nicely drawn by Sweatt.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:11 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Darren Haydar... yeesh...

Old
01-12-2013, 11:15 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

vCash: 457
Sweatt has the ability to some day be an energy player on the fourth line.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:19 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post
Sweatt has the ability to some day be an energy player on the fourth line.
I see Sweatt picked today to be the day he turns in his 1 in 10 good performance. Good on him.

(Seriously though, he's not going to be making the NHL, in any capacity. Ever.)

Old
01-12-2013, 11:22 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Well Sweatt just missed a gaping open net on a wrap around with no goalie in the net...

Old
01-12-2013, 11:23 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

vCash: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I see Sweatt picked today to be the day he turns in his 1 in 10 good performance. Good on him.

(Seriously though, he's not going to be making the NHL, in any capacity. Ever.)

I like the hustle and speed. It takes time to develop prospects and we have the space and time to invest in him.

Oh boy, Sweatt.. Great steal, no finish.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:39 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortshorts View Post

I like the hustle and speed. It takes time to develop prospects and we have the space and time to invest in him.

Oh boy, Sweatt.. Great steal, no finish.
Sweatt turns 25 this year, it isn't like there's a lot of time there.

He looked like he might be a decent prospect two years ago but simply hasn't moved forward since his rookie AHL season. Regressed if anything. Has an impressive blip here or there but is mostly invisible at that level. Is unlikely to be re-signed this summer.

He's an undersized guy who can't produce offense even in the AHL and doesn't have the size/grit/defensive acumen to really be a good checking-line NHL guy. He's just a speedy skill player who doesn't generate points ... a poor man's Rico Fata, and that's not really a good thing.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:41 AM
thefeebster

Only watched the last half of the game.

I've mentioned it before, but i don't think any player has impressed me/risen in my books as much as Peter Andersson has given the expectations i had. How this guy has been bumped around the Swedish leagues, i'll never know. IMO, he is steady as hell in the defensive zone. Was used to protect the lead in the last minute by Arniel, well justified.

Old
01-13-2013, 02:51 AM
orcatown

A game that probably set hockey back a few years. Lineups too depleted to provide much cohesion in the play of either team.

Luckily the Wolves had Climie who again stood on his head. Keeps this up and may well get a look by the Canucks

Thought some of the guys that looked good last night fell off in this game.

Andersson played decently but not as smooth as Friday and made some early turnovers. However, given his limited experience, Andersson is doing well. Very steady influence and makes you appreciate how the Wolves lacked this at times this year.

Hunt was less prominent tonight. Got hit in the face early so that might have effected play. Did not play bad but did not assert himself as he did on Friday

Did not like Friesen in the first two periods (especially on face-offs and the PK) but I thought he played very strongly in last few shifts in the third. Seems to get in most trouble when he gets caught standing still. Still very limited, especially offensively, but he has exceeded expectations playing as the second line center.

Archibald did some good board work but he has not been as effective since the injury a few weeks ago that caused him to miss some games. Think the shot that hurt him went off his knee and might be it's still troubling him. Hopefully Longpre can get back soon b/c they seemed to have good chemistry.

Thought both Kattelus and K. Miller had very rough games and neither can play at this level. Both end up chasing the play most of the time.

Also was once again frustrated with Haydar. His reluctance to play any type of physical game and his dangerous passing always seem to be creating chances for the other team. If he is going to be such a defensive liability he needs, at least, to get more done on the offense.

Liked the steady work of Joslin in both games. Logging tons of time and really the back bone of the defense at this time. This player gets far too much static.

Sweatt had a better game but his lack of hands again evident. Just butchered the open net chance in the third. I agree with those that cite his lack of development and the fact the window is closing fast on him. He is well behind others such as Gordon in expecting a call up to the Canucks. Gordon again had a strong game.

Have to hand it to the Wolves for stringing together some wins given injury and call up situation. Team is working hard and mostly working effectively as a group. Yet it has to recognized that most of the credit goes to Climie.

Old
01-13-2013, 03:46 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Luckily the Wolves had Climie who again stood on his head. Keeps this up and may well get a look by the Canucks
It seems every goalie in the Canucks organization steps up and excels. The goalie coaches really deserve a ton of credit here - they've helped make Luongo, Schneider, lack and now Climie look outstadning over the last 2 and a half years.

Who does Climie work with primarily? His game is as good as it's ever been.

Old
01-13-2013, 04:37 AM
orcatown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
It seems every goalie in the Canucks organization steps up and excels. The goalie coaches really deserve a ton of credit here - they've helped make Luongo, Schneider, lack and now Climie look outstadning over the last 2 and a half years.

People have complained earlier about dragging in a goalie coaching discussion into this thread and people created another thread for this discussion.

I'm open to continue that discussion but should IMO be in the other thread.

Old
01-13-2013, 05:29 AM
denkiteki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post

Except Lacks development this year has been a counter example... tho question is rather or not he was playing hurt. Clime = i doubt really got much work with our goalie coach since he's really a Wolves signing than 'nucks property so unlikely much resource is being spent on him (more so since it looked like an AHL journeyman till recently).

Old
01-13-2013, 11:00 AM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

vCash: 833
Never realised just how short Haydar was until yesterday! Managed to grab a picture with him, and he's almost my height (I'm 5'5").

Old
01-14-2013, 12:09 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Global Moderator
Kitimat Canuck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Pass it to Bulis @passittobulis 2m
Alexandre Grenier and Alex Mallet are heading up to Chicago from the Kalamazoo Wings. #prospects
View details
Let's see what they can do!

Old
01-14-2013, 12:16 PM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Let's see what they can do!
Good news...I would love Grenier to prove a bunch of people wrong (including myself). There would be nothing wrong for him to increase production at the AHL level for the next 3 years.

Old
01-14-2013, 12:18 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Global Moderator
Kitimat Canuck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
Good news...I would love Grenier to prove a bunch of people wrong (including myself). There would be nothing wrong for him to increase production at the AHL level for the next 3 years.
Agreed. 3 assists in his first 3 ECHL games is pretty solid. I would love for both him and Mallet to have strong returns in Chicago.

Old
01-14-2013, 02:15 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
Only watched the last half of the game.

I've mentioned it before, but i don't think any player has impressed me/risen in my books as much as Peter Andersson has given the expectations i had. How this guy has been bumped around the Swedish leagues, i'll never know. IMO, he is steady as hell in the defensive zone. Was used to protect the lead in the last minute by Arniel, well justified.
Ya Andersson has looked safe.

Old
01-14-2013, 08:18 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LickTheEnvelope View Post
Ya Andersson has looked safe.
He's been a very pleasant surprise... how on earth did they jerk him around over in Sweden for so long?

Old
01-15-2013, 06:12 AM
orcatown

Besides Mallet and Grenier, John Negrin has also been called up from Kalamazoo.

Couple of years ago, Negrin was seen by many in Calgary as pretty good prospect.

Local Vancouver guy who got traded to the Jets last year and I guess the Jets didn't like what they saw and dumped him. Got signed by the Wolves in the off-season.

Kind of another reclamation project.

Old
01-15-2013, 08:50 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
He's been a very pleasant surprise... how on earth did they jerk him around over in Sweden for so long?
Reminds me of a bigger Tanev

Old
01-15-2013, 09:03 AM
PRNuck
Rekt.

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
Reminds me of a bigger Tanev
Yeah I liked his composure. Has a much nicer (wrist) shot from the point than Tanev though. I don't think I've seen either one of them take a slapper yet.

Old
01-15-2013, 12:11 PM
Outside99*

I always wonder about these reclamation projects. What is the player's problem that causes him to fall so far and is it possible to turn around?

- not physical enough - could be overcome with an attitude change
- not working hard enough - see above.
- not in good shape - see above.
- not a team player - see above.
- off ice issues - see above

- poor skater - can improve somewhat with proper training regimen, might not be enough though..
- shot is not hard and/or not accurate - see poor skater
- not a good puck handler - see poor skater
- errant passing - see poor skater
- lack strength/size - see poor skater

- lack of poise/poor play under pressure - hard to fix.

- can't keep up mental wise with the speed of the game/makes poor decisions - not sure how you fix that either...

Old
01-15-2013, 03:17 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
I always wonder about these reclamation projects. What is the player's problem that causes him to fall so far and is it possible to turn around?

- not physical enough - could be overcome with an attitude change
- not working hard enough - see above.
- not in good shape - see above.
- not a team player - see above.
- off ice issues - see above

- poor skater - can improve somewhat with proper training regimen, might not be enough though..
- shot is not hard and/or not accurate - see poor skater
- not a good puck handler - see poor skater
- errant passing - see poor skater
- lack strength/size - see poor skater

- lack of poise/poor play under pressure - hard to fix.

- can't keep up mental wise with the speed of the game/makes poor decisions - not sure how you fix that either...
I recall an article I read a while back (on THN I think) about a junior player who always seemed to play poorly under pressure. There was an experiment where they measured his brain activity or something like that and it seemed to correlate his making bad decisions with fatigue. Which is why MG's innovative approach to combating fatigue/sleep science initiative could be so crucial to us winning it all.

Found the link actually. Interesting read: http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...toughness.html

Generally though I still think hockey sense, or IQ, is something that can't be taught.

Old
01-16-2013, 03:36 AM
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post

Generally though I still think hockey sense, or IQ, is something that can't be taught.
Well it is taught at some point. People arent born knowing hockey.

However its very rare someone does well and doesn't have hockey sense. So if there's a reclamation project where the person in the past has been successful (at least beyond one season) then its a good chance that person has some hockey sense.

Guys like Daigle, Stefan, Brendl, Bryan Fogarty didn't lose their hockey sense over night.

Old
01-16-2013, 04:35 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonny Bohonos View Post
Well it is taught at some point. People arent born knowing hockey.

However its very rare someone does well and doesn't have hockey sense. So if there's a reclamation project where the person in the past has been successful (at least beyond one season) then its a good chance that person has some hockey sense.

Guys like Daigle, Stefan, Brendl, Bryan Fogarty didn't lose their hockey sense over night.
Oh, I meant more after a certain point when these guys are no longer developing their IQ as much as they did when they were younger.

Closed Thread