HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chicago Wolves Discussion - Part VII

Closed Thread

Old
02-25-2013, 08:12 PM
timw33

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by galiano View Post
Just a terrible roster of NHL prospects on the Wolves. Gillis needs to do something about this. If the Canucks get a few injuries who the hell can they call up ? Not good.
It is pretty pitiful, especially up front.

Next year we'll get Jensen, Corrado, Price which will should give a bit of a boost.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:41 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
It is pretty pitiful, especially up front.

Next year we'll get Jensen, Corrado, Price which will should give a bit of a boost.
Could be as soon as March 5, if AIK miss the playoffs. 4 games left in their season and 5 points out of a playoff spot apparently.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:14 AM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Could be as soon as March 5, if AIK miss the playoffs. 4 games left in their season and 5 points out of a playoff spot apparently.
Oshawa Generals may still lay claim to him if he's on their reserve roster.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:36 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Oshawa Generals may still lay claim to him if he's on their reserve roster.
Apparently the Generals don't own his rights anymore, as per this article (in the comments at the bottom): http://canucksarmy.com/2013/2/25/so-...nicklas-jensen

Old
02-26-2013, 03:04 AM
Askel
Brock Bowser Jr

Quote:
3 points for regulation wins in Sweden. 5 points aint that much, plus Brynäs the team AIK is chasing is in a big slump.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:54 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
3 points for regulation wins in Sweden. 5 points aint that much, plus Brynäs the team AIK is chasing is in a big slump.
If they make the playoffs, how many games would they play? I doubt they last very long if they do make it from the sounds of their goaltending.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:35 AM
Cocoa Crisp

Quote:
Apparently the Generals don't own his rights anymore, as per this article (in the comments at the bottom): http://canucksarmy.com/2013/2/25/so-...nicklas-jensen
How's that? Relevant passage:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Drance
As the experiment enters its final week or two, it appears that Nicklas Jensen's season with AIK was a bit of a mixed bag. On the one hand, Jensen had to deal with some hiccups as a result of playing on a struggling team going through a coaching change. On the other hand, however, he spent a productive season of development against more difficult competition and it looks like he'll be able to join the American Hockey League at least a month (and maybe as much as six weeks depending on how Oshawa does in the OHL postseason) earlier than if he'd spent the year in Major Junior. That's a worthwhile trade off in my view.
Doesn't that sort of suggest the Generals are still in the mix?

Old
02-26-2013, 11:46 AM
PRNuck
Sell the team.

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Crisp View Post

No, it's confusing though, I had to read it twice. He's just comparing how much sooner he'll be able to join the AHL than if he had played in Oshawa, but how much sooner is dependant on how long Oshawa's season ends up being.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:09 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Crisp View Post

In the comments, the author of the post wrote:
Quote:
IIRC his rights aren't held by the Generals anymore.
There was also this tidbit after:
Quote:
That's a great question and one I wrestled with (and got at a few people more familiar with the AHL than I). Basically the AHL rules allow the following: "Teams may also add signed draft choices provided that their respective junior or college seasons are complete."

Most of the people I spoke with seemed to think that he'd be treated as a college or major jr. player who had completed his season once AIK's season ends. Perhaps I should've included a paragraph about that in the post, instead I just went for the qualified "looks like."
I took that to mean that AIK could be considered the equivalent of Jensen's junior/college team this season. Obviously there's some ambiguity there though as we don't hear about this sort of thing all that often. Perhaps the Generals still are in the mix, but the way Gillis has been talking makes it sound like they're expecting him to report straight to the Wolves. That's what it seems to me, at least.

Old
02-26-2013, 01:18 PM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

If Jensen is on the general protected list still, we won't be seeing him for awhile.

OHL regular season ends March 17th, and Oshawa is hot....they should easily make the 2nd round of the playoffs.

So that would be into April....I agree with Vanuck though...the way Gillis is speaking about it, it seems that Oshawa is already out of the equation.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:53 PM
Askel
Brock Bowser Jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
If they make the playoffs, how many games would they play? I doubt they last very long if they do make it from the sounds of their goaltending.
Weird part is that AIK has one the first round of the playoffs as a no 8 seed for the last 2 years (at least one of them as a sweep).

Then again they used to have Viktor Fasth in goal. Dont see them lasting more than 6 games but they are stong at home.

Old
02-26-2013, 03:18 PM
thedavid

AIK won today, 4-1. They are now 3 points down from 8th seeded Brynäs with 3 games left. This could be close, there's still a very good chance AIK could make it into the playoffs considering they are on a pretty good run right now and Brynäs hasn't been playing well, as was mentioned.

One of the three remaining games is also against Brynäs.

Old
02-26-2013, 04:03 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedavid View Post
AIK won today, 4-1. They are now 3 points down from 8th seeded Brynäs with 3 games left. This could be close, there's still a very good chance AIK could make it into the playoffs considering they are on a pretty good run right now and Brynäs hasn't been playing well, as was mentioned.

I know MG didn't want him to stay in the SEL any longer than he had to, but I wouldn't mind if AIK make it in. Some pride on the line and pressure to perform would only be healthy. Gives him a taste of playoff intensity before coming over to get acclimatized to the more physical North American game again.

Old
02-26-2013, 04:17 PM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Quote:
I know MG didn't want him to stay in the SEL any longer than he had to, but I wouldn't mind if AIK make it in. Some pride on the line and pressure to perform would only be healthy. Gives him a taste of playoff intensity before coming over to get acclimatized to the more physical North American game again.
Gillis said he had no problem with Jensen staying in the SEL for playoffs, he just didn't want him to get moved around for organization to organization.

Not to mention AIK will probably get spanked early, so he'll still get his AHL chance earlier than he would have if he stayed with Oshawa.

Old
02-26-2013, 04:35 PM
thedavid

Quote:
I agree. Worst case scenario, AIK (somehow) makes it all the way to the SEL finals and take it to 7 games. This would mean Jensen's SEL season ends April 24th, which would be just shortly after the AHL regular season ends.

Chances of that happening are slim to none, I think. AIK has been playing well lately but I'd be surprised if they make it past the 1st round, assuming they make the playoffs at all.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:34 PM
orcatown

As far as Arneil's work with our prospects goes, I don't think it has been as bad as some make it out.

Think he could have given Cannata more games and maybe should have boosted Schroeder a little more.

But on the other side of the ledger, he has done some good things.

Andersson - at the beginning of the season it seemed like Andersson was headed for the ECHL. Wolves had both vet and returning players that seemed well above Andersson on the depth chart. However, Arneil recognized early that Andersson was better and kept him over others. Moreover, he has given Andersson a primary role on the team since early in the season. Many have got enthused about 5th rounder Corrado but there should be equally excited about 5th rounder Andersson. If you can produce a 1 bona vide NHL defenseman on your farm team per year that is excellent.

Connauton - Arneil has given Connauton every opportunity to play through his mistakes and gradually Connauton appears to be improving. I think that is the best you can hope here - that through experience Connauton gets more reliable. Whether Connauton is ready for the NHL is still extremely questionable but I think under Arneil there has been some improvement.

Polosek is being spotted in and played to his best advantage - that being the PK. Polosek is a long term prospect and is being handled in a appropriate way IMO

I guess the big miss here is Sauve. However, Sauve clearly played his way off the team. He was making inexcuseable mistakes and costing the team dearly. Sauve is probably a lot better off where he is and might be able to step back into the AHL next year. Letting him die on the vine in Chicago made no sense.

Archibald is another player that has been played regularly and has shown development. Archibald has become a much better two way player. Archibald, at one point, was simply a player that wanted to get the puck at the blue line and break in on net. Now he plays up and down the ice and works hard on the back check. Some of his offense has faded but if Archibald was ever to make it he had to improve his defense. This is happening under Arneil. This may not be the flashy development that gets people attention but it is critical in getting a player ready for the next level. In some ways, I wish Kassain was still in Chicago so he could go through the same developmental processes. In the end, he might well be a better player.

I would same the same things about Sweatt. He is a better defensive player. I still see problems with Sweatt in this area but he has improved. this is extremely important for making any use of Sweatt at the next level.

Can also see improvement in Schneider. Don't think this player ever makes the NHL but he has become a reliable defensive player.

I, also think Arneil has given other prospects like Friesen , Mallett every chance. Fact they are not ready is not Arneil fault and in the case of a big failure like Rodin, I think the same can be said. An in ability to make a silk purse out of sow's ear should not be laid at the feet of Arneil.

The one thing that Arneil preaches and coaches is defensive hockey. That may not produce glamour prospects like Jensen but it does give you players that are not going to be the kind of liabilities that kill your team. It will be interesting to see how Arneil handles someone like Jensen, if he ends up with the farm team, since Jensen looks to be a player who needs to work on his defense. May be Jensen's offense suffers but if he becomes a better two way player then he is more help to the team. As I said earlier, it might well be that Kassian would be of more ultimate good to the team if Kassain continued to work on his defensive game with Arneil. I think the way Schroeder works on the defensive end is, in part, a tribute to the work of Arneil.

Whether are not Arneil is a good coach may be open to question as it pertains to prospects. But he does seem to sharpen their defensive game and this can be nothing but positive for the long term success of a player.

Old
02-26-2013, 07:43 PM
cc

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedavid View Post

Do you know if Jensen got any points?

Old
02-26-2013, 08:04 PM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc View Post
Do you know if Jensen got any points?
I looked at the box score and watched the highlights.

He was on the ice for the first goal for his team, but didn't register a point.

Wasn't on the ice for any other scoring plays from either team in the game and wasn't shown on the highlights except for celebrating the first goal.

Old
02-28-2013, 03:19 PM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

So, haven't followed this thread much since the lock out ended, How has Ebbitt looked since being sent down. Would hope he looked better since the quality of competition dropped (I assume).

Old
02-28-2013, 03:32 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallPoppySyndrome View Post
So, haven't followed this thread much since the lock out ended, How has Ebbitt looked since being sent down. Would hope he looked better since the quality of competition dropped (I assume).
It doesn't matter though. He's still going to be playing in the same NHL as the first time he was up here in January - and you could argue that it's only gotten tougher since he played his 2 games, as players are getting back up to speed now.

Old
02-28-2013, 03:42 PM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Quote:
It doesn't matter though. He's still going to be playing in the same NHL as the first time he was up here in January - and you could argue that it's only gotten tougher since he played his 2 games, as players are getting back up to speed now.
Yea I see what your saying

So it would be bad news If he wasn't doing any better since being waved.

Old
02-28-2013, 03:53 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallPoppySyndrome View Post
Yea I see what your saying

So it would be bad news If he wasn't doing any better since being waved.
I guess. Well, you hope that he does better in a now-weaker AHL, but it's not going to really mean anything when he comes up.

Old
02-28-2013, 05:43 PM
Askel
Brock Bowser Jr

AIK lost 6-4 today, Jensen held pointless. Brynäs also won which means AIK needs to win the next and Brynäs lose both in regulation for AIK to make the playoffs. Next game is AIK vs Brynäs by the way.

Jensen will probably be in Vancouver/Chicago in a week or two.

edit:Guess this discution should be in the prospects thread

Old
02-28-2013, 07:53 PM
Hammer79

Can someone who watches the Wolves regularly give me a run-down on Pinnizzoto? I see from his Hershey Bears stats that he averages about 2 points every 3 games, and takes a lot of penalties. Is he a fighter? Also, I see he has a great +/- except for a -2 this season. What can the Canucks expect from him if he ends up here? Thanks in advance.

Old
02-28-2013, 08:56 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
Can someone who watches the Wolves regularly give me a run-down on Pinnizzoto? I see from his Hershey Bears stats that he averages about 2 points every 3 games, and takes a lot of penalties. Is he a fighter? Also, I see he has a great +/- except for a -2 this season. What can the Canucks expect from him if he ends up here? Thanks in advance.
He's been pretty physical in the games I've watched, to the point where it stands out too. Seems to have some smarts too.

Closed Thread