HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Chicago Wolves Discussion - Part VII

Closed Thread

Old
02-28-2013, 09:05 PM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
Seemed to have a lot more upside than Volpatti whenever I've watched him play while being just as physical.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:08 PM
Taelin
Resident Hipster

Jim Jamieson @JamiesonCanucks
Quote:
#Canucks assistant GM Lorne Henning confirms Steve Pinizzotto joins NHL club, sent to Chicago on 2-week conditioning assignment.

Old
02-28-2013, 09:33 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taelin View Post
Jim Jamieson @JamiesonCanucks
Ah, so they are expecting him to contribute to the big club afterwards, it seems? He just might finally get his 1st game in the NHL, if he doesn't get hurt during this stint (fingers crossed).

Old
02-28-2013, 09:43 PM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Seemed to have a lot more upside than Volpatti whenever I've watched him play while being just as physical.
Absolutely. I was very impressed with him at camp and pre-season last year. More so than any one else who was auditioning for the 4th line.

Old
02-28-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
As far as Arneil's work with our prospects goes, I don't think it has been as bad as some make it out.

Think he could have given Cannata more games and maybe should have boosted Schroeder a little more.

But on the other side of the ledger, he has done some good things.

Andersson - at the beginning of the season it seemed like Andersson was headed for the ECHL. Wolves had both vet and returning players that seemed well above Andersson on the depth chart. However, Arneil recognized early that Andersson was better and kept him over others. Moreover, he has given Andersson a primary role on the team since early in the season. Many have got enthused about 5th rounder Corrado but there should be equally excited about 5th rounder Andersson. If you can produce a 1 bona vide NHL defenseman on your farm team per year that is excellent.

Connauton - Arneil has given Connauton every opportunity to play through his mistakes and gradually Connauton appears to be improving. I think that is the best you can hope here - that through experience Connauton gets more reliable. Whether Connauton is ready for the NHL is still extremely questionable but I think under Arneil there has been some improvement.

Polosek is being spotted in and played to his best advantage - that being the PK. Polosek is a long term prospect and is being handled in a appropriate way IMO

I guess the big miss here is Sauve. However, Sauve clearly played his way off the team. He was making inexcuseable mistakes and costing the team dearly. Sauve is probably a lot better off where he is and might be able to step back into the AHL next year. Letting him die on the vine in Chicago made no sense.

Archibald is another player that has been played regularly and has shown development. Archibald has become a much better two way player. Archibald, at one point, was simply a player that wanted to get the puck at the blue line and break in on net. Now he plays up and down the ice and works hard on the back check. Some of his offense has faded but if Archibald was ever to make it he had to improve his defense. This is happening under Arneil. This may not be the flashy development that gets people attention but it is critical in getting a player ready for the next level. In some ways, I wish Kassain was still in Chicago so he could go through the same developmental processes. In the end, he might well be a better player.

I would same the same things about Sweatt. He is a better defensive player. I still see problems with Sweatt in this area but he has improved. this is extremely important for making any use of Sweatt at the next level.

Can also see improvement in Schneider. Don't think this player ever makes the NHL but he has become a reliable defensive player.

I, also think Arneil has given other prospects like Friesen , Mallett every chance. Fact they are not ready is not Arneil fault and in the case of a big failure like Rodin, I think the same can be said. An in ability to make a silk purse out of sow's ear should not be laid at the feet of Arneil.

The one thing that Arneil preaches and coaches is defensive hockey. That may not produce glamour prospects like Jensen but it does give you players that are not going to be the kind of liabilities that kill your team. It will be interesting to see how Arneil handles someone like Jensen, if he ends up with the farm team, since Jensen looks to be a player who needs to work on his defense. May be Jensen's offense suffers but if he becomes a better two way player then he is more help to the team. As I said earlier, it might well be that Kassian would be of more ultimate good to the team if Kassain continued to work on his defensive game with Arneil. I think the way Schroeder works on the defensive end is, in part, a tribute to the work of Arneil.

Whether are not Arneil is a good coach may be open to question as it pertains to prospects. But he does seem to sharpen their defensive game and this can be nothing but positive for the long term success of a player.
Thanks for your hard work and insights in this post, Orca. It's comforting as well as informative to read, and naturally I hope it all proves to be true.

Old
03-01-2013, 07:47 PM
orcatown

Wolves go 1 - 0 as Polosek scores first goal of the season.

Pinizotto in the lineup

Old
03-01-2013, 07:57 PM
orcatown

Nice shot by Archibald

Up 2 - 0

Old
03-01-2013, 08:25 PM
orcatown

Wolves going with 11 forwards and 6 defenseman

Ebbett not playing - probably stuck in an airport b/w Vancouver and Chicago

Wolves outplayed by Stars (who have good team) but Wolves get a couple of goals against the run of the play. Stars have some real prospect

Lines appear

Rodin Schneider Pinizotto

Davies Freisen Archibald

Sweatt Longpre Haydar

Miller and Didiomete spotted in.

Center position is very weak and things getting held together her by bailing wire. Mostly just trying to hold down the fort.

Polosek Vandermeer

Andersson Joslin

Connauton Matheson

Climie

Think Hunt is hurt. Probably has been playing hurt for awhile

Connauton is playing his best hockey of the year. Looking very mobile. Needs to start getting his shot through however.

Joslin is playing very well and maybe the key player on the team right now.

Rodin continues to be a friggin disaster. Doesn't he seem to be trying to get the puck out of his zone and passing brutal as he seems most concerned with watching an in-coming checker rather than looking for the player he is trying to pass to.

Old
03-01-2013, 08:53 PM
TBIF

Are we able to keep Rodin under contract but let him play in Sweden? Might be the only way to save his career at this point.

Perhaps as an RFA? I'm not sure how it works but I know his contract expires at the end of the year.

Curious to why Mallet is still with the K Wings when you have Schneider as your #2 guy behind Ebbett.

Has Longpre improved at all this year?

Old
03-01-2013, 08:59 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Why would they not use Pinner at center? He's played there before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Rodin continues to be a friggin disaster. Doesn't he seem to be trying to get the puck out of his zone and passing brutal as he seems most concerned with watching an in-coming checker rather than looking for the player he is trying to pass to.
I think this confirms what some people suspected earlier. Basically afraid to take the body.

Old
03-01-2013, 09:06 PM
canuck4life16

gosh the forward for chicago is not great.....not much top end prospect none which are top 6 material mostly bottom 6 and are not even canucks properly

Old
03-01-2013, 09:08 PM
Crows*

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck4life16 View Post
gosh the forward for chicago is not great.....not much top end prospect none which are top 6 material mostly bottom 6 and are not even canucks properly
Jensen will be a godsend for them. Too bad he will be with the big club soon!

So pumped for Jensen.

Old
03-01-2013, 09:11 PM
orcatown

Still 2 - 0 after 2.

Pinizotto not playing much and when he does looks very rusty. Couple of bad turnovers

Defense is doing a good job and has to b/c puck is most often in their zone. Think Polosek is having a strong game.

Sweatt continues to be the best forward and has done some great forechecking. Sweatt is having a very good second half of the year. Another player having a good game is Archibald.

LaBrie ran Matheson and it was good to see Longpre step in. Also, Polosek did a good job in his fight after another Wolf player got run.

Old
03-01-2013, 09:34 PM
Ryp37

I really like Polosek hoping he can turn into a 5/6 guy in the future

obviously that's some high expectations but you never know

Old
03-01-2013, 10:17 PM
lindgren

With their 2-0 road win tonight against conference-leading Texas, the Wolves move into sixth place in the conference. They're two points out of fifth, with four games in hand, and five points behind division-leading Grand Rapids, with two games in hand.

Old
03-01-2013, 10:23 PM
orcatown

The game ends 2 - 0 for the Wolves. - the Canucks should play such good team defense. Game for the muckers.

Really like Andersson in the late game. So calm - under pressure he just makes space and lofts the puck out. Again plays with Joslin in key spots and is just so efficient that you hardly notice him.

Sweatt is playing very well both ways. Forced all kinds of turnovers and was excellent at getting the puck out of his zone. By far the best forward on this team and getting to be a consideration for moving up. Should have got a star.

Pinizotto played ok but he made some terrible decisions with the puck. Twice passed up easy dump ins and let his team get caught on a line change. Needs to pick it up if he is going to be any help to the Canucks. First game so needs some slack here.

Polosek played strong. Needs a little more foot speed but he plays it tough around his net. Got the second star

Climie was excellent but you like the way that Wolves were forcing most chances to the outside. First star

This was best I've ever seen Freisen. Showed more speed tonite than I've seen before. Was an effective forechecker and good on face-offs. Also a good game for Schneider and Desbiens. Both good within a defensive system at this level at least

Basically a dump it out and dump it in game in. That's the roster Arneil is dealt right now and they are playing the system very well.

Can not exaggerate how weak a** Rodin was. While others are grinding it out, he floats around . Not only that but also he shows very little speed and gives up the puck as soon as he gets it. He had one decent shift in the third when he actually worked a little on the forecheck. Overall seems to lack any degree of stamina or talent.

Out for the Wolves

Gordon
Sterling
Ebbett - in limbo, I guess
Kattelus - must be hurt
Hunt
Mallett - maybe back in Kalamazoo

Old
03-01-2013, 10:30 PM
timw33

Sucks to continually hear this about Rodin, major disappointment. When's the last time a 2nd round pick panned our? Raymond in 05?

Old
03-01-2013, 10:50 PM
TBIF

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Sucks to continually hear this about Rodin, major disappointment. When's the last time a 2nd round pick panned our? Raymond in 05?
Since Raymond; Ellington, Sauve and Mallet

Actually you could say since the Raymond pick the canucks have only drafted two NHLers. Grabner and Hodgson

Old
03-01-2013, 11:18 PM
Stonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBIF View Post
Since Raymond; Ellington, Sauve and Mallet

Actually you could say since the Raymond pick the canucks have only drafted two NHLers. Grabner and Hodgson
I know he's short, but don't overlook Schroeder.

Old
03-01-2013, 11:43 PM
orcatown

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Apparently might have had recent minor surgery so maybe nursing himself through games. That might be the hope here.

Old
03-02-2013, 01:55 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Good to hear that about Archibald, Polasek and Andersson. I'm guessing Andersson plays the left side?

Old
03-02-2013, 09:47 AM
RampageNate

Send a message via Yahoo to RampageNate
Hope yall don't mind if I post a view from the other side for tonight's game.

Gameday!

Old
03-02-2013, 02:09 PM
TBIF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonz View Post
I know he's short, but don't overlook Schroeder.

I haven't, just still consider him a prospect. I feel if the canucks can add another center before the play offs we'll see Schroeder sit out a lot.

Old
03-02-2013, 04:48 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by RampageNate View Post
Hope yall don't mind if I post a view from the other side for tonight's game.

Gameday!
Hey thanks for sharing. Always good to get other posters' views too.

Old
03-05-2013, 04:47 PM
biturbo19

I haven't followed the Wolves much at all this year, but it really is starting to look like the same song and dance we heard going into this affiliate agreement, from the Thrashers organization.

Tons of career AHLer Veterans all over the roster, prospects stagnating/regressing, and a boatload of guys stuffed in the ECHL. Yikes.

Part of this is on Gillis and co. We haven't exactly handed them a ton of bluechippers, but the AHL is supposed to be a developmental league...there should be room to develop guys who aren't 1st round picks, need work, etc. You see Gillis go out and help the Wolves out a little bit, luring in prime AHL Vets with NHL deals...great. That's a working partnership and that's helpful in developing these younger guys. But then you see the Wolves go out and sign a slough of their own Vets and we've got prospects pushed down to the ECHL. No good.

Guys like Sauve who looked to be at least developing into a capable AHLer last year...now he's in the ECHL. Polasek seems to be playing only intermittently. Connauton seems to have taken a complete 180 in his development. We have a TON of fairly recent picks playing in the ECHL and that's just not acceptable to me.

I can't wait for the Canucks to move on from this agreement and find a better organization to develop prospects with.

Closed Thread