HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Football
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

NFL offseason News & Notes Thread (FA Frenzy 2k13)

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2013, 07:56 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 400
Are people actually surprised?

Bears have never shown themselves to be class organization under McCaskey reign

Old
03-21-2013, 06:08 AM
JCD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
I thought they would find a way to make it work but I guess that isn't going to happen. Stay away Vikings, please stay away.

I don't think Urlacher has much left but this is a bit of a slap in the face:

Bears clearly didn't want him back.
Why?

I would be happy if the Vikes landed Urlacher, we have 1 legit starter on the roster and one placeholder. That is it. We will need to add several more bodies competent players (even aging ones) before the season starts. Vikes have had good luck with aging MLBs in the past, why not add a proven leader (with motivation)?

My assumption is that we don't break the bank on him. Reasonable 2-3 year deal. Urlacher is aging, but still far better than any option we currently have.

With Henderson-Urlacher-Greenway, we can enter the draft with all three starters pencilled in. Means we won't be forced to draft a LB high out of pure need. Any guy we bring in is just depth or competition.

Teams always seem to draft better (read: smarter) when they already have guys in place. Allows them to sit back, pick the best player on the board, and not make absurd reaches based on need (see: Ponder).

Old
03-21-2013, 09:54 AM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

No sane team is going to give Urlacher a 2-3 year deal when he's declining and there's no market for him. That would be stupid.

Old
03-21-2013, 10:11 AM
Bruv
kissin kevin shields

Any chance Urlacher retires?

Old
03-21-2013, 03:32 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
Why?

I would be happy if the Vikes landed Urlacher, we have 1 legit starter on the roster and one placeholder. That is it. We will need to add several more bodies competent players (even aging ones) before the season starts. Vikes have had good luck with aging MLBs in the past, why not add a proven leader (with motivation)?

My assumption is that we don't break the bank on him. Reasonable 2-3 year deal. Urlacher is aging, but still far better than any option we currently have.

With Henderson-Urlacher-Greenway, we can enter the draft with all three starters pencilled in. Means we won't be forced to draft a LB high out of pure need. Any guy we bring in is just depth or competition.

Teams always seem to draft better (read: smarter) when they already have guys in place. Allows them to sit back, pick the best player on the board, and not make absurd reaches based on need (see: Ponder).
I don't think Urlacher has much left. He was still solid in coverage last season but he has also slowed down a lot and I remember him missing quite a few tackles. I could be wrong but I think he'll have a difficult time finding a team that will give him a one year deal, a 2-3 year deal is completely out of the question.

I would much rather draft a linebacker who can play for the team for years to come. Vikings already have an aging defense and need to get younger. I'm surprised you're on board with signing Urlacher when you've been against going for the quick fix in the past. You might value Urlacher a lot higher than I do but we can both agree that the Vikings aren't a contender and they should be building for the future. I don't want them to reach for a player but if a linebacker they really like is available when they pick, they should take him. Maybe you take a look at Urlacher after the draft but I definitely wouldn't sign him before.

Old
03-21-2013, 05:52 PM
JCD

Quote:
I don't think Urlacher has much left. He was still solid in coverage last season but he has also slowed down a lot and I remember him missing quite a few tackles. I could be wrong but I think he'll have a difficult time finding a team that will give him a one year deal, a 2-3 year deal is completely out of the question.

I would much rather draft a linebacker who can play for the team for years to come. Vikings already have an aging defense and need to get younger. I'm surprised you're on board with signing Urlacher when you've been against going for the quick fix in the past. You might value Urlacher a lot higher than I do but we can both agree that the Vikings aren't a contender and they should be building for the future. I don't want them to reach for a player but if a linebacker they really like is available when they pick, they should take him. Maybe you take a look at Urlacher after the draft but I definitely wouldn't sign him before.
Definitely agree we need to build for the future, which is why I don't see signing Urlacher and drafting a MLB high as mutually exclusive. Biekert didn't keep us from drafting Henderson. I believe that you are far better positioned at the draft having somebody penciled (even an aging or warm body) then having a glaring hole that may make you reach on somebody (Te'o for example).

The Vikes need at LB is beyond dire. We have one legit starter on the roster, and only two proven NFL players. That is it. No matter if we draft a LB or not, we will need to sign players to add depth. That is why I favor getting somebody in now, going into the draft being able to take the best value on the board, then add any required depth after the draft. Vikes need to add at least 2-3 more LBs before the start of the season. We can act from a position of strength by getting one on the roster before the draft.

Urlacher is near the end of the line, I have no illusions about that. However, it is one of the best MLBs on the market and will come relatively cheap. Especially if you are willing to tack on an extra year or two that other teams would not. If he doesn't pan out, cut him and the cap hit won't be much at all. I would feel better about giving him a 4-6 mil deal over two years than the 4-6 mil deals we gave Henderson and Sanford. They are placeholders just like Urlacher, only have a far lower ceiling. Heck, we paid Carlson more for last year alone than what it will likely take to ink Urlacher for two.

Old
03-22-2013, 02:22 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

http://twitter.com/AndrewSiciliano/s...81560628387841

For the first time since 2003, the defending Super Bowl champion will open on the road. @Ravens and Orioles fail to reach a deal.

Old
03-22-2013, 05:48 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post

For the first time since 2003, the defending Super Bowl champion will open on the road. @Ravens and Orioles fail to reach a deal.
Peter Angelos being unreasonable?!

Old
03-23-2013, 12:37 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:

It's a bloody travesty. The Orioles are being such dick wads. I hope they get creamed next season. Changing one game in a 160 game season won't kill you.

Especially considering the Ravens a superbowl champions, ie being relevant.

Angelos is such a tool. I think the Ravens start @ Denver.

03-23-2013, 01:15 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Good for the Orioles for standing ground and not letting the NFL get their way.

Old
03-23-2013, 01:17 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Peter Angelos being unreasonable?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
It's a bloody travesty. The Orioles are being such dick wads. I hope they get creamed next season. Changing one game in a 160 game season won't kill you.

Why should the Orioles have to cater to the NFL? They're coming off a road trip and a potential playoff team is hosting the White Sox. They can't play the game in the afternoon. It has to be played at night.

Old
03-23-2013, 02:01 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

Quote:
Why should the Orioles have to cater to the NFL? They're coming off a road trip and a potential playoff team is hosting the White Sox. They can't play the game in the afternoon. It has to be played at night.
It's one game in a 160 game season. The Ravens just won the superbowl. Why should they cater to the NFL? Well it would be the classy thing to do. Champions starting their season in front of their home fans is somewhat of a tradition.

A double header on Friday or Saturday would've solved this issue. Is it an inconvenience? Sure, but it would've been the right thing to do. Especially considering the Ravens were willing to give money to the O's to do so.

Real dick move by the O's.

Old
03-23-2013, 02:07 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

It's the Orioles privilege.

I see no problem with it. The world does not stop and start at the NFL and the Baltimore Ravens convenience.

Old
03-23-2013, 02:14 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

Ravens could have just played on Wednesday like the Giants did last year. Rosh Hashanah my ass, they played on it last year.

Old
03-23-2013, 02:15 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

I agree with stand made by Orioles

Old
03-23-2013, 02:15 PM
Smoke
Time is the flaw

Quote:

No, it isn't. I think you are overreacting just a little.

Old
03-23-2013, 02:23 PM
Ozamataz Buckshank

Quote:
It's one game in a 160 game season. The Ravens just won the superbowl. Why should they cater to the NFL? Well it would be the classy thing to do. Champions starting their season in front of their home fans is somewhat of a tradition.

A double header on Friday or Saturday would've solved this issue. Is it an inconvenience? Sure, but it would've been the right thing to do. Especially considering the Ravens were willing to give money to the O's to do so.

Real dick move by the O's.
Or the Ravens could just play on Wednesday

Old
03-23-2013, 02:44 PM
Ziggy66

vCash: 764
what are the orioles? ugh nvmd its baseball.......

Old
03-23-2013, 03:18 PM
m9

It's not really about baseball or football, winning a championship and all that goes along with it is a great achievement for a city so you would think the people involved would put the city and the fans above themselves.

Old
03-23-2013, 03:19 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

I have no problem with the Orioles standing their ground and saying no. Just don't expect the NFL to do Selig and MLB any favours in the future.

Old
03-23-2013, 03:33 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
I have no problem with the Orioles standing their ground and saying no. Just don't expect the NFL to do Selig and MLB any favours in the future.
When exactly has NFL gone out of way to help out MLB in recent memory?

Old
03-23-2013, 03:42 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Nothing I can recall. Maybe now they'll go out of their way to go head to head with MLB whenever they can.

Old
03-23-2013, 04:13 PM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Both sports are great

NFL is most popular sport in America and baseball is 2nd most popular

Don't always have to squabble between the two, you can appreciate both

Old
03-23-2013, 04:54 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
In the past they used to not have a SNF game during the World Series but Goodell said screw that a few years ago.

Old
03-23-2013, 05:10 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa Puck View Post
In the past they used to not have a SNF game during the World Series but Goodell said screw that a few years ago.
That's because he figured out people will watch the NFL anyways, and no one will really watch the world series unless their team is in it, or they want to see the Yankees or Red Sox win/lose

Closed Thread