HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Football
Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

NFL offseason News & Notes Thread (FA Frenzy 2k13)

Closed Thread

Old
05-14-2013, 02:34 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Sounds more like Urlacher's agent trying to get every last dime possible out of Vikes by making them think there is market for his client

Bears have moved on
Broncos have no interest

Its Vikes or nothing at this point

Its a shame that Urlacher will finish out his career a Vike ,, Tarnishes his legacy a little bit

Gonna be a Namath to Rams type finish to his career sadly

Old
05-14-2013, 03:58 PM
Clowe Me

vCash: 50
Meh. Players have a right to play as long as someone wants them. He shouldn't have to retire simply because you don't want to see him in a rivals uniform.

Old
05-14-2013, 05:16 PM
JCD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Might have to wait for a credible NFL reporter on this one. That report says Urlacher is talking to the Broncos and Vikings. Broncos beat writer already said he's told the Broncos have no interest in signing Urlacher. Vikings could use him but this sounds like that Donald Driver report that came out when it was clear no one was interested in him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Sounds more like Urlacher's agent trying to get every last dime possible out of Vikes by making them think there is market for his client

Bears have moved on
Broncos have no interest

Its Vikes or nothing at this point

Its a shame that Urlacher will finish out his career a Vike ,, Tarnishes his legacy a little bit

Gonna be a Namath to Rams type finish to his career sadly
Could be.

Maybe I am just optimistic that the Vikings are not foolish enough to go into the season with the deplorable cast of LBs they currently have. Greenway is the only worthwhile starter on the entire list... Henderson the only other one good enough to be sure to be on an NFL roster when the season starts.

Old
05-14-2013, 05:28 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
Vikes are short one starting LB. Urlacher may be near the end, but gives an option other than a 4th or 7th round rookie starting.
Plus the way Urlacher was let go, really got to him. I think he would be amped up against the Bears.

Old
05-14-2013, 07:25 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
San Diego Chargers ‏@chargers 15m
Melvin Ingram sustained a torn ACL in his left knee during OTA practice today. No other information was released.

Old
05-14-2013, 08:14 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala View Post
Plus the way Urlacher was let go, really got to him. I think he would be amped up against the Bears.
You mean the fact the Bears only offered him a 1 yr contract was so offensive? And his whiny complaints about firing of Lovie Smith more then soured the relationship

Urlacher is a shell of his former self and it would be foolish to tie him up for multiple years and large $$$ ,, I would love to see Forte/Bennett exploit him in pass coverage this year (He cant cover TE/RB"s downfield anymore if they have slightest bit of speed)

Old
05-14-2013, 08:53 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

[QUOTE=Blackhawkswincup;66061635]You mean the fact the Bears only offered him a 1 yr contract was so offensive? And his whiny complaints about firing of Lovie Smith more then soured the relationship [quote]

How they dealt with him in the offseason.

Quote:
It really wasn't an offer," Urlacher said Wednesday on Sirius/XM NFL Radio, shortly after the Bears announced that his time with the franchise was finished. "It was either sign or we don't want you."
On Thursday, Urlacher told ESPN radio's "Mike and Mike In the Morning" that the Bears' public proclamations about wanting to retain him were "all lip service in my mind. They said that, but they never acted on it. It was like they all had a handbook on how to handle the situation they passed out around there."
I believe that Urlacher, whom I've found to be one of the more honest and candid men in his profession, has an accurate read on the situation. And if he receives an opportunity to extend his career with the Vikings or another NFL team, I expect him to be as motivated as an athlete can possibly be.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--in...211948170.html

You don't treat a legend like that.

Quote:
Urlacher is a shell of his former self and it would be foolish to tie him up for multiple years and large $$$ ,, I would love to see Forte/Bennett exploit him in pass coverage this year (He cant cover TE/RB"s downfield anymore if they have slightest bit of speed)
He would be a 2 down linebacker while Vikings rotate guys in but more importantly they could use his leadership.

Old
05-14-2013, 09:36 PM
JCD

Quote:
You mean the fact the Bears only offered him a 1 yr contract was so offensive? And his whiny complaints about firing of Lovie Smith more then soured the relationship

We don't need the DPOY Urlacher. What we need is a better MLB option than a 4th round rookie, a 7th round rookie or a special teamer like Mitchell.

As stated before, the Viking's LB situation is downright deplorable. Past Henderson (a marginal player in his own right) and Greenway, the entirety of the roster combines for a career total of three starts... all by Mitchell... all due to injury. Right now, we have an unsigned 4th round rookie slated to start. We just need a placeholder for this season while we see if the rookies have anything to offer, or until we can address the issue next off-season.

I don't see anybody signing Urlacher for more than a 1-2 year deal or large money.

Old
05-14-2013, 09:49 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
We don't need the DPOY Urlacher. What we need is a better MLB option than a 4th round rookie, a 7th round rookie or a special teamer like Mitchell.

As stated before, the Viking's LB situation is downright deplorable. Past Henderson (a marginal player in his own right) and Greenway, the entirety of the roster combines for a career total of three starts... all by Mitchell... all due to injury. Right now, we have an unsigned 4th round rookie slated to start.

I don't see anybody signing Urlacher for more than a 1-2 year deal or large money.
He signed today.

I think Henderson is a lot better than you give him credit for. He struggles in pass coverage but he is very good against the run and overall he's a solid player. Nothing special or exciting but he gets the job done.

I don't know much about Hodges but he's supposed to be good in coverage. The guys on NFL Network said he'll be a starting WLB in the NFL. But it probably wouldn't hurt to bring in a veteran and have Hodges play on special teams and learn for a year.

Old
05-14-2013, 10:14 PM
JCD

Quote:
He signed today.

I think Henderson is a lot better than you give him credit for. He struggles in pass coverage but he is very good against the run and overall he's a solid player. Nothing special or exciting but he gets the job done.

I don't know much about Hodges but he's supposed to be good in coverage. The guys on NFL Network said he'll be a starting WLB in the NFL. But it probably wouldn't hurt to bring in a veteran and have Hodges play on special teams and learn for a year.
Didn't know he signed. If Hodges plays Urlacher to the bench, awesome. Good to have a Plan B though. Banking on a rookie is dicey.

As for Henderson, I see him as an athletic gambler. When he guesses right, he looks better than he is. He doesn't always guess right. IMO, he is just a warm body who occupies the spot until a quality starter can be found. Now, he is an adequate starter, which puts him 2nd among our LBs. To me, he is just a very replaceable player, JAG.

Henderson-Urlacher-Greenway is an adequate LB crew. Rotate Hodges in / play the nickle and we can get by.

Old
05-14-2013, 10:23 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thestonedkoala View Post

You don't treat a legend like that..
Oh BS

He is not much of a player at this point.. Urlacher wanted multiple years and higher then his worth $$$. Only got more hardline after Lovie was fired (Something he was against)

I supported Kreutz and it was mistake (He was wasted up and Bears did right thing)

Urlacher burned his bridges in city with his derogatory attitude to fans and then burned his bridges with management by again demanding more money then he was worth and multiple years

Bears said enough and it was time to move on ,, As much as it sucks to see Urlacher leave the reality is Bears did smart thing by not giving in to him

Urlacher clearly overvalued his worth as months later he still is unsigned

Old
05-14-2013, 10:49 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Urlacher is still hoping that some team will offer him $$$$ than what he's really worth.

Urlacher should just accept the fact he's not going to get what he's asking for..

Old
05-15-2013, 01:09 PM
Cudi
in the aeroplane...

Rolando McClain retires at 23. Oh wow.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/92...ens-retires-23

Old
05-15-2013, 02:04 PM
Carolinas Identity
Rangers Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudi View Post

Sad story, but as with Young and others I don't really feel bad for him.

What a waste.

Old
05-15-2013, 03:24 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Cleary=Jerry Gergich

And he's only the 2nd biggest bust in Raider history.

Old
05-15-2013, 04:25 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

http://msn.foxsports.com/lacesout/ga...to-balky-knee/

Garrard calling it quits due to bad knee

Old
05-15-2013, 05:14 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Quote:

Wasted talent

Old
05-15-2013, 06:30 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
http://msn.foxsports.com/lacesout/ga...to-balky-knee/

Garrard calling it quits due to bad knee
Jets lose their best QB before the season even begins.

Old
05-15-2013, 06:33 PM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
I think McClain might still return to NFL someday...

Old
05-15-2013, 06:37 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajicz View Post
What happens first, McClain goes to jail or he returns to the NFL? I wonder what the Vegas odds would be.

Old
05-15-2013, 06:42 PM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Quote:
Jets lose their best QB before the season even begins.
Geno Smith is still there.

Old
05-15-2013, 08:04 PM
VLoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
Geno Smith is still there.
Like he said....

Old
05-16-2013, 02:16 AM
Cudi
in the aeroplane...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajicz View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to make a comeback as early as the 2014 season

Old
05-16-2013, 02:33 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if he tries to make a comeback as early as the 2014 season
He'll be broke about then.

Old
05-16-2013, 12:16 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 1888
Raiders have signed Josh Cribbs and Chris Kluwe.

Closed Thread