HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Clutterbuck on the move?? Sharks would love some Cal!!

Old
01-02-2013, 10:37 AM
Double Dion
Jets fan 30/06/2013

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy22 View Post
Based on this thread and others, I think pretty much everyone(atleast around HFBoards) appreciates what he does in his role. Never heard anyone say "that guys a bum" or "I would never want him". Most people seem to be interested in acquiring him.
I appreciate what he does in his role, but I think he has more than 3rd line game offensively. Similar to a Glencross or Laich type. I think he can be a 25 goal scorer as well as play physically with decent defensive abilities. His downside is the occasional stupid penalty, just like the other two.

Double Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 11:58 AM
Sparky1977

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeedingFrenzy View Post
He is in his final year and will be deserving of a raise.. With talk of a lower CAP, can Minnesota afford to keep him? What would they want in return? Picks and prospects? NHL ready player? What is the Wild's goalie pipeline look like?
Why would they lose him? You are right that he may be in for a raise but not a very big one. Look at the following comparable salaries:

Clutterbuck: 74GP 15G 12A $1.4M

Eller: 79GP 16G 12A $1.325M
Jones: 79GP 17G 16A $1.5M
LaRose: 67GP 19G 13A $1.7M
Torres: 79GP 15G 11A $1.75M
Ponikarovsky: 82GP 14G 19A $1.8M (most current deal)
Holmstrom: 74GP 11G 13A $1.875M
Neil: 72GP 13G 15A $2.0M

Basically the range is $1.3-$2.0M and Clutterbuck should fall near the to end of the range. I am sure Chuck Fletcher could get a small home town discount and pay him in the same range as the Pony Express at $1.8M.

Would you walk away from Clutterbuck for an extra 400K? Neither will Fletcher IMO.

Sparky1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 12:36 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Joe Thornton, Patrick Marleau, and Dan Boyle for the 2013 1st overall, 2nd overall, and 3rd overall pick. It's so simple!
You mock it now but 2004! Go back there and half the league does it.

Never will understand how people come up with "the Sharks are done. Trade everyone!" Maybe it's the same crowd that thinks Vancouver will suddenly fall off the face of the earth any day now.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:57 PM
glenbuis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrch View Post
I'm sorry, but I stopped taking you seriously when you said Boyle wasn't a playoff performer and tried to justify it with a 5 game sample size against the best defense in the league.
I didn't say he wasn't a playoff performer. Someone else stated that with Lidstrom and Pronger supposedly done that Boyle was the games premier playoff performer for defenceman. I found that statement to be unfounded with Chara, Keith, Doughty and Weber not yet retired. I stated that I thought he was on the downturn because of age but anyone who might be 38-39 the next time we see plaY-off hockey was my mistake. This is usually when players hit there prime i know.
As for Thornton and Marleau, it's clear they are loved in SanJose and will retire there. Good for them. I just think that guys like Couture, Pavelski, Burns, Braun, Hertl will need some help to win the cup.

glenbuis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:12 AM
Arrch

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenbuis View Post
I didn't say he wasn't a playoff performer.
Really?

Quote:
Ithink he's slowed. I mean he never exactly had a stellar playoffs and he is 37ish isn't he?

Arrch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:17 AM
General Granny*

Bishop + Greening.

General Granny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 10:22 AM
binx bolling

wish this was tagged correctly as a value of thread and not speculation.

And we all know Clutterbuck wants to play with Tavares again.

binx bolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:31 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 827
It'll never happen but that would be hilarious if the Wild traded for a guy like Ott or Carcillo. Ott/Carcillo - Brodziak - Clutter would be such an annoying 3rd line to play against.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:39 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky1977 View Post
Why would they lose him? You are right that he may be in for a raise but not a very big one. Look at the following comparable salaries:

Clutterbuck: 74GP 15G 12A $1.4M

Eller: 79GP 16G 12A $1.325M
Jones: 79GP 17G 16A $1.5M
LaRose: 67GP 19G 13A $1.7M
Torres: 79GP 15G 11A $1.75M
Ponikarovsky: 82GP 14G 19A $1.8M (most current deal)
Holmstrom: 74GP 11G 13A $1.875M
Neil: 72GP 13G 15A $2.0M

Basically the range is $1.3-$2.0M and Clutterbuck should fall near the to end of the range. I am sure Chuck Fletcher could get a small home town discount and pay him in the same range as the Pony Express at $1.8M.

Would you walk away from Clutterbuck for an extra 400K? Neither will Fletcher IMO.
as someone who watched the pony express for years if cal only makes 1.8 his agent got to go.

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:40 AM
glenbuis

Quote:
Really?
Because he never exactly had a graet playoffs against the Blues doesn't mean i said he's not a playoff performer. Which of your players played well in the playoffs. I had said that I didn't think he was the games PREMIER defenceman left after Pronger and Lidstrom.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I could def see Clutter being dealt to add a veteran D-man to this team. He's a nice piece to have on your team, but $3M on the third line is too much. And honestly I don't think he's earned a raise, his game has been stagnant the last few years.

Def would consider Clutter + a mid prospect like Haula or Phillips for a veteran top four D-man, preferably a shutdown guy who's not inept with the puck.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:52 AM
CBJenga

Quote:
Because he never exactly had a graet playoffs against the Blues doesn't mean i said he's not a playoff performer. Which of your players played well in the playoffs. I had said that I didn't think he was the games PREMIER defenceman left after Pronger and Lidstrom.
That isn't what you said. It was quoted directly back to you. But here it is again:

Quote:
Ithink he's slowed. I mean he never exactly had a stellar playoffs and he is 37ish isn't he?

CBJenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:56 AM
glenbuis

My apoligies cbjenga. I should have specified against the blues. He obviously had many good play-off years and has been a solid play-off performer.

Old
01-03-2013, 11:58 AM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I could def see Clutter being dealt to add a veteran D-man to this team. He's a nice piece to have on your team, but $3M on the third line is too much. And honestly I don't think he's earned a raise, his game has been stagnant the last few years.

Def would consider Clutter + a mid prospect like Haula or Phillips for a veteran top four D-man, preferably a shutdown guy who's not inept with the puck.
gunnar?

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:03 PM
nickschultzfan

I'd think about moving Clutterbuck+Dumba+ for a top-4 Dman.

Clutterbuck is going to need a raise, and while he's a great 3rd liner, I don't think he plays well with Brodziak, who is locked in as the Wild's 3rd line center moving forward. Clutterbuck is a north-south, turnover, fast-break, and hit machine player. Brodziak plays the cycle, strength, puck-possesion game. Clutterbuck fits best on checking 3rd line of a playoff team with 2 other speedy, phyiscal, defensive players.

And Dumba will be an exciting player, but he's at least 3 years away from being NHL ready, and the Wild are going to need a quality Dman before then.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 12:16 PM
Arrch

Quote:
You said he never had a stellar playoff period; you didn't qualify that with "against the Blues", and that statement wouldn't make sense with the word "never" in there.

Old
01-03-2013, 02:08 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1100
I seriously doubt the Wild's management is going to trade away prospects; it goes against everything they've been stressing ever since the Burns trade.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 02:55 PM
glenbuis

Quote:
You said he never had a stellar playoff period; you didn't qualify that with "against the Blues", and that statement wouldn't make sense with the word "never" in there.
what are you an english major. Yeah he never had a stellar playoffs last year . Is that better

Old
01-03-2013, 03:03 PM
Arrch

Quote:
what are you an english major.
Far from it.

Quote:
Yeah he never had a stellar playoffs last year . Is that better
Not at all. At least before it was just wrong; now it doesn't even make sense.

Old
01-03-2013, 03:20 PM
CanadienShark

Quote:
Well it's not exactly incomprehensible; just poorly worded.

CanadienShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 03:43 PM
TheGooooch

His salary will be dictated a large amount by the cap limit when his deal is up. It will be tough since a lot of his comparable players have got deals when the GMs had rising cap instead of shrinking cap.

TheGooooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 03:51 PM
Dr Jan Itor

I don't think Fletcher should even consider anything over $2m. There seems to be a lot of interest, if Clutter wants to get greedy, package him with a pick and prospect and upgrade the D.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 04:33 PM
glenbuis

Quote:
Far from it.

oh well

Last edited by glenbuis: 01-03-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old
01-03-2013, 05:32 PM
gsharpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
I'd think about moving Clutterbuck+Dumba+ for a top-4 Dman.

Clutterbuck is going to need a raise, and while he's a great 3rd liner, I don't think he plays well with Brodziak, who is locked in as the Wild's 3rd line center moving forward. Clutterbuck is a north-south, turnover, fast-break, and hit machine player. Brodziak plays the cycle, strength, puck-possesion game. Clutterbuck fits best on checking 3rd line of a playoff team with 2 other speedy, phyiscal, defensive players.

And Dumba will be an exciting player, but he's at least 3 years away from being NHL ready, and the Wild are going to need a quality Dman before then.
Edler?

gsharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:09 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Clutter's salary won't be an issue. Wild have a lot of money coming off the books within the next two years. I think we keep him not only because he's a fan favorite, but because Bulmer, who we were hoping would be Cal's replacement, hasn't progressed as much as we'd hoped.
he's been injured pretty much most of the season. sprained knee. i don't think this makes Clutterbuck irreplaceable. That said, he's going to get "over paid" for his production but a guy like Clutter makes a lot more of a difference off the score sheet than on. I would absolutely hate it if we traded him somewhere in the division. It would be hugely entertaining to watch him paired up with one of the other top 5 hitters in the league though...

As thisprovidence said, i think the only way he goes is in a package that sees a top 4 d come back. if he does go, it's going to come with a shift in the wild gameplan as we'll try to turn that third line into a scoring line. not sure if the kids in Houston are ready for that.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote