HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Plenty of intrigue heading into medal, relegation rounds at 2013 World Juniors

Old
01-01-2013, 01:45 PM
HF Article
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Plenty of intrigue heading into medal, relegation rounds at 2013 World Juniors

For hockey fans across the globe, the preliminary round of the 2013 IIHF WJC has been just about everything anyone had ever hoped for. There’s been no lack of tension, rivalries, intrigue and background stories that have come together to make this tournament the type that fans everywhere crave.

The expected star of the tournament has been just that, as the Edmonton Oilers' Ryan Nugent-Hopkins has produced three goals and 11 points in just four games, albeit with five of those coming in the initial 9-3 shellacking of Germany.

Nugent-Hopkins’ future teammate and Russia’s most important piece of the puzzle, Nail Yakupov, has been at the middle of the media hoopla here in Bashkortostan, the republic that neighbors his native Tatarstan.… read more

More...

HF Article is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 04:02 PM
67Cup

Is Chapin Landvogt American by any chance?

Without disagreeing with any of his predictions, all of which i think are reasonable, I think I have rarely seen such fanboy prose in an HF Lead article. The section on the American squad sounds like it was written by the publicist for the US team. To give but one small example of the hyperbole, as a Leafs fan, I could only wish there was "no lack of skill" in Tyler Biggs. (And I think Biggs has a very good chance to contribute to the Leafs, just not as a skill forward.). Are there any potential weaknesses on the US team? Anything fans should watch for? If so, name them.

The next time you get an article like this, the editor should send it back with a note "Tone it down."

67Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 04:07 PM
Statsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Cup View Post

Without disagreeing with any of his predictions, all of which i think are reasonable, I think I have rarely seen such fanboy prose in an HF Lead article. The section on the American squad sounds like it was written by the publicist for the US team. To give but one small example of the hyperbole, as a Leafs fan, I could only wish there was "no lack of skill" in Tyler Biggs. (And I think Biggs has a very good chance to contribute to the Leafs, just not as a skill forward.). Are there any potential weaknesses on the US team? Anything fans should watch for? If so, name them.

The next time you get an article like this, the editor should send it back with a note "Tone it down."
Who's showing the bias now? I think his take on things was spot on, including what he wrote for the American team. They're still among the tournament favorites and the Czechs are likely to find that out in short order.

Statsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 04:14 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:

"The team remains the one club that no-one wants to face in the semifinals, so it’s safe to say that the collective WJC playoff world will be rooting against them."

You mean this statement isn't a universally held belief on Team USA? When he says no-one, what he means is Canada. I wonder if Sweden would rather play Russia or the Swiss?

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 04:15 PM
67Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statsy View Post
Who's showing the bias now? I think his take on things was spot on, including what he wrote for the American team. They're still among the tournament favorites and the Czechs are likely to find that out in short order.
Read more carefully, I also agreed with his predictions. It's the style and the lack of balance that is irritating. You might notice I picked his write up of a prospect from my own team to illustrate th problem. How about adding a simple balancing sentence like, "but the US team, dangerous as it frequently looks, still has to prove it can put the puck in the net consistently against the top teams in the tournament" ? If he had written something as simple as that, I would have chuckled at the fatuous comment about Biggs and passed on to he next thread.

Old
01-01-2013, 04:27 PM
joe89

Quote:

He's German. @Csomichapin

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 04:28 PM
67Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
He's German. @Csomichapin
Check a little further

Old
01-01-2013, 04:37 PM
Jakomyte

I know I'm being a homer here, but I find it hard to believe that Galchenyuk's name was not included in the entire article. Is he not a key player? Tied for 2nd in tournament scoring and leading the USA in points by a fair margin? How was he left off the 'important' list?

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote