HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > The Lounge
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Lounge "...Where the parking lot of the Igloo meets the concourse of the Nassau County Coliseum and the bathroom line of the Skyreach..." - Wickedbsfan

When is there usually cheaper plane tickets?

Old
01-01-2013, 04:24 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
When is there usually cheaper plane tickets?

The fam and I are planning on going down to Disney World in the first half of 2013 but we haven't really nailed down a time yet. When are airline tickets the cheapest? MIddle of the week? March? April? Any input from seasoned travelers are welcome

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 04:26 PM
RayP

I've always read that Tuesday morning is the cheapest day to buy them, something to do with when and how many sales they release then... and that pretty much all day Sunday is the most expensive.

No proof on this, but I almost always find Wednesday and Thursday to be the cheapest days to fly, at least in my experience.

RayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:27 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Depends of the destination but tickets tend to be cheapest in February-April and again in late summer early fall as most people take their vacation in and around Christmas holidays and during the summer. As for day of the week, as mentioned, Early to mid week tend to be the cheapest.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 07:01 AM
tony d
Ours for next 7 yrs.

Usually flight tickets are cheapest post-Christmas. People don't travel much during the winter months so ticket prices go down during that time.

01-02-2013, 07:01 AM
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ SƖ ןɥu ɐǝ

Midweek sounds 'bout right.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 07:11 AM
blue425

Try airfarewatchdog

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 09:14 AM
stingo

Tuesdays and Wednesday's are the cheapest dates to fly. I wouldn't bother booking anytime in the next week or two, flights are still crazy high due to the holiday season. I'm trying to get a plane ticket to Thailand, but everything is coming up 1800 or more. I flew in November for 1200, and in June, flew for 1100.

Check everyday though, and if a deal comes up, snag it.

stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 07:14 PM
Hockeygirl81

Two of my friends and I have actually been thinking of going to Disney in early 2013 too...are you planning to stay at a Disney resort? I'm not much help as far as looking at flight costs but we've been doing some research into the cheapest/least crowded times to go to Disney and room rates seem to be cheapest Jan 21st to Feb 13th ($95 a night)...after Feb 18th the same rooms can cost up to $175 a night and that's just in the value resorts. So it's definitely cheapest to go during that time period. If you aren't staying at Disney that doesn't help you at all though really lol.

Hockeygirl81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 08:34 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl81 View Post
Two of my friends and I have actually been thinking of going to Disney in early 2013 too...are you planning to stay at a Disney resort? I'm not much help as far as looking at flight costs but we've been doing some research into the cheapest/least crowded times to go to Disney and room rates seem to be cheapest Jan 21st to Feb 13th ($95 a night)...after Feb 18th the same rooms can cost up to $175 a night and that's just in the value resorts. So it's definitely cheapest to go during that time period. If you aren't staying at Disney that doesn't help you at all though really lol.
My wife's cousin actually works at the park and they are dealing with the tickets and hotel stuff and I'm in charge of getting the plane tickets. They still haven't given me much of a window yet as to when we are going though

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 11:07 AM
zytz
lumberjack

usually when there are lots of I filled seats on the plane

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:00 PM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayP View Post
I've always read that Tuesday morning is the cheapest day to buy them, something to do with when and how many sales they release then... and that pretty much all day Sunday is the most expensive.

No proof on this, but I almost always find Wednesday and Thursday to be the cheapest days to fly, at least in my experience.
Tuesday and Wednesday have been the cheapest days for me too. I guess it depends on the type of airline you're using. I bought pretty cheap Southwest Airlines tickets to Disneyworld just a few weeks ago (leaving in a couple of days). Typically, tickets are cheaper a few weeks after a major holiday.

Maybe look at flights 2 or 3 weeks after Easter?

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:45 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 6000
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdHrdina View Post
The fam and I are planning on going down to Disney World in the first half of 2013 but we haven't really nailed down a time yet. When are airline tickets the cheapest? MIddle of the week? March? April? Any input from seasoned travelers are welcome
try kayak.com

that being said you are heading into an area where there is nearly always high demand and the tickets will be high

joy about having no rug rats--I get to go during the cheaper time and have far more fun

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 06:53 PM
Ser Woof
**** The Lounge

When are there...

Ser Woof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 09:50 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Tuesdays at 3p, actually.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-04-2013, 10:34 PM
Altimus
Probably drunk

Send a message via AIM to Altimus Send a message via MSN to Altimus
we found that traveling at midnight was the cheapest airfare...of course this was on a weekend, context was for flying from Syracuse to NYC for 60 bucks vs 96 bucks. of course we were both adults so we loaded up on caffeine for the drive home. We thought of options like getting a 6am flight to save 30 bucks was an idea, but the realism that we would have to leave our house at midnight, stay awake all night and then sleep 12 hours in NYC once we landed was ****ing stupid.

Long story short: look at the cons of saving money. It may bit you in the ass. We landed in NYC at 1:30PM, met my cousin and had the whole night to enjoy the ambiance of it since we were semi rested, alert and able to grasp how awesome the experience was.

Altimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:40 PM
D Fresh
Lost Horizons

Bookmarked thread for future reference.
My 2 cents is budget airlines. Pretty obvious I'm sure.
If you're in Canada and near the border it's supposedly a lot cheaper to fly within the US as opposed to into.

D Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 09:27 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Fresh View Post
Bookmarked thread for future reference.
My 2 cents is budget airlines. Pretty obvious I'm sure.
If you're in Canada and near the border it's supposedly a lot cheaper to fly within the US as opposed to into.
It definitely is. I regularly save at least a few hundred dollars by driving two hours to Vermont rather than flying out of Montreal.

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote