HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

The 2011 Red Wings Draft

Old
01-01-2013, 10:25 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

vCash: 500
Meh, still doesn't look anymore then average right now. As others have said a lot of boom or bust there. The only one who looks to be real promising IMO is Ouellet.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 10:28 PM
showtime8

Allan Quine will be a good NHL pro.

I think he's got a lot of the intangibles that will make him a good pro and like a smart franchise, the Red Wings will bring him along in a couple years. He'll follow the same progress that Helm and Abdelkader had on their ways to the NHL.

showtime8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 10:30 PM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
Allan Quine will be a good NHL pro.

I think he's got a lot of the intangibles that will make him a good pro and like a smart franchise, the Red Wings will bring him along in a couple years. He'll follow the same progress that Helm and Abdelkader had on their ways to the NHL.
Agree with this, good mental side and intangibles. Liked him as a sleeper going back to the draft, not going to blow anybody away but I think he can make The Show. Which is an accomplishment in itself for a 3rd rounder.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 10:34 PM
tony d
ATD 2015

Looks decent right now but let's wait a few years to see how these guys perform and if they make it to the NHL.

01-01-2013, 10:52 PM
The Nose
#thefuture

On a side note, I wonder what was the best draft year a team as ever had.

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 10:54 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13 HockeyTown 40 View Post
'79 Oilers, Kevin Lowe, Mark Messier and Glenn Anderson were their first three picks. Next year they picked Coffey, Kurri, Poddubny and Moog. Just ridiculous.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2013, 10:59 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
The Detroit Red Wings appear to be on their way to having their most successful draft since at least 2002 (Hudler, Fleischmann, Filppula, Meech, Jonathan Ericsson), and perhaps since 1989 (Sillinger, Boughner, Lidstrom, Fedorov, Drake, Konstantinov).

Here is the 2011 Wings draft:
2 #35 Detroit Red Wings Tomas Jurco (RW) -- Looks like a future scoring line player
2 #48 Detroit Red Wings Xavier Ouellet (D) -- Upside as an allaround, top 4 D
2 #55 Detroit Red Wings Ryan Sproul (D) -- Upside as a PP monster QB
3 #85 Detroit Red Wings Alan Quine (C/LW) -- Unclear
4 #115 Detroit Red Wings Marek Tvrdon (LW) -- Development stalled, but has scoring line upside
5 #145 Detroit Red Wings Philippe Hudon (C/RW) -- Bust
5 #146 Detroit Red Wings Mattias Bäckman (D) -- Has NHL upside
6 #175 Detroit Red Wings Richard Nedomlel (D) -- Big mean defenseman.. a bit of a longshot
7 #205 Detroit Red Wings Alexei Marchenko (D) -- Good all around defenseman with obvious NHL upside

I'm not one to be a fanboy, but I see four guys with good shots of being NHL defensemen and two forwards (Jurco and Tvrdon) with top 6/9 potential at forward. Still other Wings fans still have expectations of Quine and Nedomlel, though I do not at this point.

What are your thoughts on this draft?
How many surefire NHLers do you see?
lots of question marks here, but from what i have seen of them, Ouellet looks like the best bet...at least so far.

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 07:26 AM
Jimbo7200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Ehh, I dunno. Pulkkinen's a pretty shady bet right now. But Jarnkrok and Mrazek were huge pickups. Sheahan's not bad if he can get his act together.

On the other hand, you've got Jurco, Sproul, and Ouellet in the '11 draft being the standouts. Marchenko is still looking very good and Tvrdon will hopefully not be effected too badly by losing this season.
Only problem with the Sheahan pick is that you could've had Kuznetsov.

Jimbo7200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 07:35 AM
solo16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7200 View Post
Sheahan is progressing just find. People discount him way to quickly. He is doing fine in the AHL. Starting to put up points and has a Real NHL Body. I am somewhat high on him still.

The 2011 draft is good but Bob is a little to excited for no reason. This thread is premature. It is obvious Sproul and Oulette are wicked nasty prospects but the rest is a big question mark at least for now.

At best you can say that this draft has some serious defenseman potential, with 4/5 serious prospects.

solo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 07:54 AM
Jimbo7200

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo16 View Post
Sheahan is progressing just find. People discount him way to quickly. He is doing fine in the AHL. Starting to put up points and has a Real NHL Body. I am somewhat high on him still.

The 2011 draft is good but Bob is a little to excited for no reason. This thread is premature. It is obvious Sproul and Oulette are wicked nasty prospects but the rest is a big question mark at least for now.

At best you can say that this draft has some serious defenseman potential, with 4/5 serious prospects.
I don't mean to discredit Sheahan at all. I honestly believe he'll become a Kesler-like 2nd line center in the NHL. But that said, Kuzy is one of the best players outside the NHL. He'd be a great successor to Datsyuk and Zetterberg, along with Jarnkrok.

I think XO has put a lot of people over the moon with his play in the WJC. This type of hype is to be expected.

Jimbo7200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 09:16 AM
The Nose
#thefuture

Quote:
I don't mean to discredit Sheahan at all. I honestly believe he'll become a Kesler-like 2nd line center in the NHL. But that said, Kuzy is one of the best players outside the NHL. He'd be a great successor to Datsyuk and Zetterberg, along with Jarnkrok.

I think XO has put a lot of people over the moon with his play in the WJC. This type of hype is to be expected.
Kusnetsov would've been the PERFECT pick ever. Learn the ropes from Pavs then take over in a few years. Thinking about that makes me sad

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 01:07 PM
newfy

The only guy who looks like a stud from that draft is Ouellet. Sproul is tearing up the OHL right now pretty hard as well (should be on team Canada over Murphy) and guys like Backman and MArchenko are apparently pretty impressive in their pro leagues.

The wings needed defensive depth and got it from that draft but outside of Ouellet and maybe Sproul there isnt a tonne to be fired up about.

Those 2 D in the second round is pretty awesome though, plus Jurco. The thread should have been made about that second round not the entire draft.

What do people actually think about Sproul? His development is pretty crazy. Didnt even start the season of his draft in the OHL, then works his way all the way up into the mid second round. After that he leads the entire OHL in Dman goals, and now this year the only OHL Dman I would bet on finishing ahead of him is Hamilton if Sproul didnt get hurt. But Sproul has the highest D ppg in the OHL. Raw defensively but thats a pretty quick development from a non OHL player to top scorer for a 6'4, fast skating dman

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 01:25 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Pretty sure the Devils got 12 or 13 NHL players out of their 1990 draft.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 02:48 PM
The Nuge
Some Say...

vCash: 50
I think Tvrdon is going to be hurt a fair bit by losing this season. He already showed he can score, but he really needed to learn to throw his weight around a bit in order to make the powerfoward classification have any merit. That said, I still see an NHLer, and that's looking like a pretty damn impressive draft as far as a bunch of mid round picks go

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 02:52 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 50
Some good potential for NHL players on that list, but I don't see any high end players.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 02:55 PM
Trunz05

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
The only guy who looks like a stud from that draft is Ouellet. Sproul is tearing up the OHL right now pretty hard as well (should be on team Canada over Murphy) and guys like Backman and MArchenko are apparently pretty impressive in their pro leagues.

The wings needed defensive depth and got it from that draft but outside of Ouellet and maybe Sproul there isnt a tonne to be fired up about.

Those 2 D in the second round is pretty awesome though, plus Jurco. The thread should have been made about that second round not the entire draft.

What do people actually think about Sproul? His development is pretty crazy. Didnt even start the season of his draft in the OHL, then works his way all the way up into the mid second round. After that he leads the entire OHL in Dman goals, and now this year the only OHL Dman I would bet on finishing ahead of him is Hamilton if Sproul didnt get hurt. But Sproul has the highest D ppg in the OHL. Raw defensively but thats a pretty quick development from a non OHL player to top scorer for a 6'4, fast skating dman
Ok let me start this post by saying I'm not "hating" on Sproul, i actually like him as a player. However being from the Soo I get to see him play a fair bit an while I'll openly admit to not being the best scout I feel like Ive seen enough of Sproul to comment on him.

For starters I don't know where you got this idea of him being a fast skater for someone his size he's not slow like you'd expect but he won't be winning any skating competitions anytime. Now I'm not saying he's slow he's just average. Next up is his size, if he ever learns how to use it watch out but as of now he does not use his size well, doesn't hit often, is big bit not intimidating like he could be. Lastly his offense, when you watch him play he definetely has good puckmoving abilities but his best asset is his absolute rocket of a shot I feel that if he made it to the show he would be used for his shot on the pp more than his QB abilities. If his puckmoving doesn't translate all you've got with Sproul really is that shot, which is wild but no one is going to stick in the league based on their shot alone. All just my opinion of course but people should definetely temper expectations.

Also while I agree Murphy wasn't the best choice for the WJ team Sproul was not either with Reilly and Hamilton being the main OFD in my eyes, Oullett and Harrington both able to bring some offense while being solid defensively, Murphy's spot should have gone to another 2 way guy not some other all offense guy. Again all in my opinion of course.

Trunz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:06 PM
ChadS

Quote:
I think Wings fans will be surprised when they see Bäckman. He might need a couple of years to get used to the small rink but I see him as a way better overall player than Sproul. He doesn't have the huge slapshot Sproul has but otherwise I think he's a better defenseman and a very good pick (#146, 5th rd) by Håkan Andersson. He turned 20 yo three months ago, has 17 points in 34 games (7th in the league among d-men) and is logging 20 mins per game on one of the top Elitserien teams.

ChadS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:27 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunz05 View Post
For starters I don't know where you got this idea of him being a fast skater for someone his size he's not slow like you'd expect but he won't be winning any skating competitions anytime. Now I'm not saying he's slow he's just average. Next up is his size, if he ever learns how to use it watch out but as of now he does not use his size well, doesn't hit often, is big bit not intimidating like he could be. Lastly his offense, when you watch him play he definetely has good puckmoving abilities but his best asset is his absolute rocket of a shot I feel that if he made it to the show he would be used for his shot on the pp more than his QB abilities. If his puckmoving doesn't translate all you've got with Sproul really is that shot, which is wild but no one is going to stick in the league based on their shot alone. All just my opinion of course but people should definetely temper expectations.

Also while I agree Murphy wasn't the best choice for the WJ team Sproul was not either with Reilly and Hamilton being the main OFD in my eyes, Oullett and Harrington both able to bring some offense while being solid defensively, Murphy's spot should have gone to another 2 way guy not some other all offense guy. Again all in my opinion of course.
How many 6'4 dmen do you know of that can move like he does though? I wouldnt say his skating is absolutely amazing but hes definitely fast out there and that combined with size is rare. I've read reports on him going stride for stride with Ho Sang who is considered a burner. The size gives him a reach advantage over a lot of players. He had a big growth spurt before entering the OHL, once he fills out a bit he may not be a physical force but thats still an advantage over smaller players

His puck moving may not translate but you can say that about any player, he is proving he can use it to put up A LOT of points and combined with his shot score a lot of goals.

Above average skater, above average size, elite shot, above average puck moving skills and a really fast development curve. Hes not some absolute stud. blue chip prospect but hes a very good offensive D prospect. As for the Junior team, they couldve used another 2 way type Dman but as long as they were going to take a PP guy it should've been Sproul.

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:33 PM
Henkka

This topic will be raised up many times in becoming years.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:47 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
89 Red Wings.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:49 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
The thread should have been made about that second round not the entire draft.
I know why I made the thread. And it wasn't because of the second round

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:08 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
No need to take a guy who appears lined up to threaten going to Russia any time his contract ends.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 07:38 AM
solo16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
I know why I made the thread. And it wasn't because of the second round
Bob has a huge hardon for 7 #205 Detroit Red Wings Alexei Marchenko (D) -- Good all around defenseman with obvious NHL upside.

If you do a bit of research on him it is probably warranted (taking a russian development path). Most underrated Detroit Prospect by a large margin.

solo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-03-2013, 04:00 PM
TS Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunz05 View Post
Ok let me start this post by saying I'm not "hating" on Sproul, i actually like him as a player. However being from the Soo I get to see him play a fair bit an while I'll openly admit to not being the best scout I feel like Ive seen enough of Sproul to comment on him.

I'm a Wings fan and it sounds like Sproul has a lot of skills to work with even if he hasn't put it all together yet. It takes most Dmen 5 years to make the NHL anyway, I hope he figures it out. Thanks for your input.

TS Quint is offline   Reply With Quote