HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 - 2013 lines

Old
01-15-2013, 03:14 PM
startainfection

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I don't doubt that, but for which team? Even with Visnovsky in the lineup, our blue line didn't instill too much confidence for me. Now with Hickey and Finley trying to replace him... it could be a long season.

Seth Jones would look good in an Isles jersey though.
so for you to have confidence in a blue line we would have to have how many first pairing dmen? because if vis was to show up we would have 3

startainfection is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:35 PM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
Does anyone know if Boyes can still play Center? B/c whenever I play around with lines it's always easier to come up with something I like if I put him at C (and sit Reasoner ).
He's a natural centre, played C in Buffalo too (though not as effective). I like him better at wing though. If he can focus on getting open and finishing chances, not worry about defensive responsibility, he will be more effective.

I prefer Bailey at C and I think he'll end up back there this year, especially if Strome doesn't make the team.

Bailey - Boyes - Okposo would certainly work.

Moulson - Tavares - Strome would be interesting as well, but won't happen.

Grabner - Nielsen - Ullstrom/Joenssu/Niederreiter - also interesting.

redbull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 03:53 PM
doublechili

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
He's a natural centre, played C in Buffalo too (though not as effective). I like him better at wing though. If he can focus on getting open and finishing chances, not worry about defensive responsibility, he will be more effective.

I prefer Bailey at C and I think he'll end up back there this year, especially if Strome doesn't make the team.

Bailey - Boyes - Okposo would certainly work.

Moulson - Tavares - Strome would be interesting as well, but won't happen.

Grabner - Nielsen - Ullstrom/Joenssu/Niederreiter - also interesting.
Thanks! Per the bold and for "softness" reasons, I just don't know if I see him as a good fit as JT and Moulson's RW.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:03 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
so for you to have confidence in a blue line we would have to have how many first pairing dmen? because if vis was to show up we would have 3
Hamonic is not yet a true 1st pairing guy (I have confidence he will, but not right now), Streit has seen better days and projects as a good 2nd pairing guy at this point in time. Lubo could have been another solid 2nd pairing guy if he did show. That's not 3 1st pairing guys.

Also, have you seen the division that we play in? We've been the bottom dwellers of the Atlantic for quite some time and it doesn't look like we may be able to escape that status again this upcoming season. It's brutal. Also, we will not be playing any Western Conference teams this year and we tend to feast on them.

I know you're like the most optimistic Isles fan on here, but it's going to be a major uphill climb. Our defense corps is still teetering on disaster if just 1 injury hits. It's going to take an Art Ross/MVP caliber season from JT to even sniff the playoffs.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:08 PM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
Hamonic is not yet a true 1st pairing guy (I have confidence he will, but not right now), Streit has seen better days and projects as a good 2nd pairing guy at this point in time. Lubo could have been another solid 2nd pairing guy if he did show. That's not 3 1st pairing guys.

Also, have you seen the division that we play in? We've been the bottom dwellers of the Atlantic for quite some time and it doesn't look like we may be able to escape that status again this upcoming season. It's brutal. Also, we will not be playing any Western Conference teams this year and we tend to feast on them.

I know you're like the most optimistic Isles fan on here, but it's going to be a major uphill climb. Our defense corps is still teetering on disaster if just 1 injury hits. It's going to take an Art Ross/MVP caliber season from JT to even sniff the playoffs.
I wouldn't be surprised if Hamonic crosses that 1st pairing threshold early this year. Streit could bounce back to the #2 that he was a couple of years ago when you factor in how he looked late last year and that he's playing in a contract year.

I'm honestly more worried about our offense, which is almost sad when you look at our defense on paper. Mac-Hamonic have shown some good chemistry and have proven they can handle big minutes. If Streit returns to that form and Martinek stays healthy(huge "if"), they should provide a solid 2nd pairing.

I just don't know who is going to step up and provide some secondary scoring for this offense. I could see Strome doing it after some growing pains, especially if he's put with some capable linemates. I think Nielsen could do it if Grabner is ready to bounce back. I don't have much confidence in Cizikas giving us much scoring though, at least not this year. I'm just really worried about this group outside of MM-JT-KO.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:11 PM
startainfection

Quote:

what more can you ask from hamonic, he has been a positive every season he has played and has always played 20+ minutes, he is a number one d man where as streit very few fews would have 2 of their own d men ranked higher than streit and visnovsky

startainfection is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 04:24 PM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by startainfection View Post
what more can you ask from hamonic, he has been a positive every season he has played and has always played 20+ minutes, he is a number one d man where as streit very few fews would have 2 of their own d men ranked higher than streit and visnovsky
Gotta be a little realistic bud. I agree that based on Hammer's development, he should enter that 1st pairing realm this season. Hard to call him one though until he does it.

With Streit, you just can't call him a 1st pairing defender after the year he had last year. He honestly played more like a #4. I think most Isles fans expect his game to bounce back this year, but again, can't really call him top-pairing until you see it.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 05:55 PM
steveat

Well, this is going to be an interesting season and I give thumbs up to Snow for getting creative and potentially finding our next PA and or Moulson.

TBH, I am more excited to see Finley and Hickey than I am about Boyes and Boulton.

Defence Lines this year?

Streit/Hamonic
Amac/Martinek
Carkner/Hickey
Finley

Who do you think will actually make it...We got 5 that we are confident are starting the season.

we are gonna have to let go of Finley or Hickey...or keep 7 defencemen...or maybe I am wrong...but you have to waiver them to put them in Bport...and for sure one or the other will be swiped back by their original team or another team.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:44 PM
NYI365
Let's Go Islanders!

I don't know why but i just have this feeling the Isles will pick up Gomez once he's bought out. We need a.#2 C and i have a feeling Snow grabs him. Lines of:

Moulson-JT-Okposo Grabner-Gomez-Boyes Bailey-Nielsen-Ullstrom Martin-Cizikas/Reasoner-Boulton/Joensuu

Not saying at all Gomez is our answer for the #2C, but i just have a strange feeling we sign Gomez. Who knows, maybe a change in scenery is good?

NYI365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 08:55 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI365 View Post
I don't know why but i just have this feeling the Isles will pick up Gomez once he's bought out. We need a.#2 C and i have a feeling Snow grabs him. Lines of:

Moulson-JT-Okposo Grabner-Gomez-Boyes Bailey-Nielsen-Ullstrom Martin-Cizikas/Reasoner-Boulton/Joensuu

Not saying at all Gomez is our answer for the #2C, but i just have a strange feeling we sign Gomez. Who knows, maybe a change in scenery is good?
Gomez? Well, this team is like an island of misfit toys. It makes perfect sense in that regard.

I really hope it doesn't happen though.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:12 PM
DarkHorse
Go Banana!

Puck Daddy mentioned us signing Redden if the Rags buy him out. Makes sense, but there will be competition.

DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 09:33 PM
BEB595

Opening night lineup...yikes!

Moulson - Tavares - Okposo
Grabner - Nielsen - Boyes
McDonald - Cizikas - Ullstrom
Martin - Reasoner - Boulton

MacDonald - Hamonic
Streit - Martinek
Carkner - Hickey

Nabokov
DiPietro

BEB595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:51 PM
doublechili

Another take on an opening night lineup:

Moulson - JT - Okposo

Martin - Neilsen - Strome

Grabner - Boyes - Ullstrom

Reasoner/Boulton - Cizikas - McDonald

After Bailey/Joensuu return, and just to stir things up I'll keep Strome around:

Moulson - JT - Okposo

Martin - Neilsen - Strome

Bailey - Boyes - Grabner

Ullstrom - Cizikas - Joensuu

2nd and 3rd lines are basically equal, kind of like the Flyers have done in the past.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:00 AM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Hamonic crosses that 1st pairing threshold early this year. Streit could bounce back to the #2 that he was a couple of years ago when you factor in how he looked late last year and that he's playing in a contract year.
might not mean much, but i wasnt impressed by hammer in the ahl this year. He just might not be able to fit those big shoes...

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:49 AM
xIsle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEB595 View Post
Opening night lineup...yikes!

Moulson - Tavares - Okposo
Grabner - Nielsen - Boyes
McDonald - Cizikas - Ullstrom
Martin - Reasoner - Boulton

MacDonald - Hamonic
Streit - Martinek
Carkner - Hickey

Nabokov
DiPietro
That's the line-up I think were going to see on opening night with the exeption of maybe Strome (playing 4th line minutes) instead of Boulton.

xIsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:16 AM
A Pointed Stick
There Is Always...

vCash: 250
I hope you guys are wrong about both Gomez and Redden. Even if they still had anything left to give we would yet again become the laughingstock of the league.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:37 AM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
I hope you guys are wrong about both Gomez and Redden. Even if they still had anything left to give we would yet again become the laughingstock of the league.
signing Redden to a league minimum deal for one year isnt a laughing stock move. Apparently about 5-6 WC teams already were talking to Gomez last night, so these guys arent Mitch Fritz quality

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:45 AM
steveat

If you ask me...I think Gomez will resign back with NJ. He knows their system and can play their style.

Redden was a top player at one point...why he faultered, I don't know..Redden to me is like a Yashin...in that he is not a bad player..he is actually pretty good, BUT he gets too much for what he actually worth. Does this make sense? He is not a 38 million dollar player (I think that was what his contract was?). He is like a 2 million/ year player.

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:46 AM
Islanders1932

Quote:
You cannot become something when you already are that thing.

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:03 AM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
You cannot become something when you already are that thing.
sad. true. funny. yet not funny.

Only "Ws" can change that....and JT, who's gaining the respect of the hockey world more and more each day.

Quote:
I have a feeling Redden would help this Isles team. I always liked Redden and I know he hasn't been great, and been buried in the minors for a long time, but I suspect he'd be motivated and would love the chance to play again, especially in this market.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:18 AM
19NYSports91

Wade Redden is awful, I can't believe you guys want him

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 10:47 AM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
Wade Redden is awful, I can't believe you guys want him
don't let me play the Jon Landry card.

There's a whole spectrum of "awful" that Islanders fans have a different view on.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:50 AM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
don't let me play the Jon Landry card.

There's a whole spectrum of "awful" that Islanders fans have a different view on.
the islander part of the awful sprectrum.

luki here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 11:52 AM
Kardi

start adding Vish back into your line ups, hes coming back!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413665

I'm assuming he'd be paired with Striet on the 1st pairing + PP1 time?

Kardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:22 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
Well, this is going to be an interesting season and I give thumbs up to Snow for getting creative and potentially finding our next PA and or Moulson.

TBH, I am more excited to see Finley and Hickey than I am about Boyes and Boulton.

Defence Lines this year?

Streit/Hamonic
Amac/Martinek
Carkner/Hickey
Finley

Who do you think will actually make it...We got 5 that we are confident are starting the season.

we are gonna have to let go of Finley or Hickey...or keep 7 defencemen...or maybe I am wrong...but you have to waiver them to put them in Bport...and for sure one or the other will be swiped back by their original team or another team.
Not necessarily. By the time the Isles management has to make that decision will be around the time many other teams will make their final roster changes. Nobody will want to take on the extra dman, especially if they are not familiar with him at that particular point in time.

Assuming Finley is the guy, can Buffalo reclaim him and place him back on waivers immediately? There must be some kind of waiver protection for the players i would think. That would be frustrating to be tossed around like that, not knowing where you are going to play.

Besides, Martinek will probably be injured by the time Lubo comes back and we can keep Finely around as a number 7 for a bit.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote