HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Red Wings Draft Thread 2013

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-17-2013, 08:23 PM
  #276
XO
Registered User
 
XO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,614
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
Who's Mr.Clutch?
Sean Monahan

XO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 09:35 PM
  #277
joe89
#5
 
joe89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 16,521
vCash: 500
Lengthy IIHF interview with Andersson about drafting in general and acecdotes: http://u18worlds2013.iihf.com/en/news/andersson/

Quote:
With a team as consistently good as Detroit has been, does it get annoying sometimes when you almost never get a top ten pick?

Oh, without a doubt (laughs). The last one I can really think of is Erik Karlsson, I really early on felt that this little kid could be a star in the NHL, but I just hoped that people wouldn’t like him, because there was talk about him being small and he was taking a lot of what people felt were stupid chances with the puck. But it was part of his learning process, obviously he made some mistakes but he turned out to be a helluva player, and I was thinking “Oh I hope he doesn’t play as good as I think he is” so we’d have a shot at him. But he ended up going 15th to Ottawa. Obviously if you redid that draft today he’d be a top five pick.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:01 PM
  #278
Jimbo7200
Registered User
 
Jimbo7200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 762
vCash: 500
I'd kill for us to get Nichushkin. Pavel needs a winger NOW. Monahan would be a beaut too.

Jimbo7200 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:17 PM
  #279
joe89
#5
 
joe89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 16,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7200 View Post
I'd kill for us to get Nichushkin. Pavel needs a winger NOW. Monahan would be a beaut too.
If you want now Nichushkin is not your guy, signed another two years in the K.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 09:00 AM
  #280
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 17,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
Some criticisms I've heard of these guys (to play devil's advocate):

Domi is undersized and would be a poor fit in Detroit at this point

I've heard awful things about Rychel. There's a poster here at HF who thinks he's not an NHL player, and I have a friend who's an OHL buff and he thinks about the same.

Hartman is gritty, but might not be a scoring line forward and is under 6'0. Undersized checking winger in the first? Great character though.

I've heard Horvat might not be a sure thing as a scoring line player.

Supposedly the major knock on Mantha is he sometimes has a compete level of zero, and you don't know when he'll show up. Might be similar to a Franzen.

and Gauthier, as much as I want the Wings to pick him, might not have scoring line upside, which is what the Wings really need this year from the draft.
At this point?

He wouldn't play with Wings for like 3 or 4 years.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 06:09 PM
  #281
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!
 
The Zetterberg Era's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 17,225
vCash: 515
Should Nichushkin fall I wonder if the Wings will pounce on him.

He won't come over right away, heck he might never come over but do the Wings take a chance on him? They didn't go after Kuznetsov in that situation, I just wonder where they shake out on that, I think he will fall.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 06:10 PM
  #282
Bench
Moderator
Realgud!
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Monk's
Posts: 7,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Lengthy IIHF interview with Andersson about drafting in general and acecdotes: http://u18worlds2013.iihf.com/en/news/andersson/
This kills me to hear they were so high on him. Kills. I'm dead.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 06:20 PM
  #283
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT
 
mindfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bloomfield Hills, MI
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
This kills me to hear they were so high on him. Kills. I'm dead.
If they were high enough they would have traded everything they could to get to 15th from 30th...

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 06:24 PM
  #284
WingedWheel1987
Ken Holland's office
 
WingedWheel1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: GPP Michigan
Posts: 8,058
vCash: 500
Does Hakan have a successor lined up? Has he been grooming other Detroit scouts? The guy has been doing this for so long, I wonder how much longer he will keep doing it. Obviously you can't teach other scouts to have Hakan's hunches or a feelings, but there has to be a method to his madness.

WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 06:25 PM
  #285
Bench
Moderator
Realgud!
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Monk's
Posts: 7,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
If they were high enough they would have traded everything they could to get to 15th from 30th...
That's easier said than done. How often do teams in the top 15 actually trade down? The price would have to be pretty hefty, but sure, in this entirely hypothetical scenario, the Wings screwed up.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 06:25 PM
  #286
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!
 
DatsyukToZetterberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Newfoundland
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,894
vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
This kills me to hear they were so high on him. Kills. I'm dead.
I agree, you just know that if Andersson is high on him that the Wings must be drooling, hoping he falls to them. We picked 30th that year, I wonder if we tried to move up in the draft at all?

Looking back at all the old mock drafts nobody had him in their top 30 so I guess it was reasonable to think he could fall to us. Oh what could have been.

DatsyukToZetterberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 06:26 PM
  #287
Bench
Moderator
Realgud!
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Monk's
Posts: 7,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Does Hakan have a successor lined up? Has he been grooming other Detroit scouts? The guy has been doing this for so long, I wonder how much longer he will keep doing it.
Isn't Lidstrom a scout now?

Let's hope his vision is as good off the ice as it was on.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 06:28 PM
  #288
Bench
Moderator
Realgud!
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Monk's
Posts: 7,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
Looking back at all the old mock drafts nobody had him in their top 30 so I guess it was reasonable to think he could fall to us. Oh what could have been.
Cue people saying he'd still be in Grand Rapids right now.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 07:09 PM
  #289
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!
 
SoupNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kramerica Industries
Country: Argentina
Posts: 16,716
vCash: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Cue people saying he'd still be in Grand Rapids right now.
He'd still be in Grand Rapids right now.

Hey, you cued it.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 07:10 PM
  #290
Bench
Moderator
Realgud!
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Monk's
Posts: 7,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
He'd still be in Grand Rapids right now.

Hey, you cued it.
I wanted to cut if off at the pass. I'm a hero, really.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 08:23 PM
  #291
P U L L H A R D
Picca Slice
 
P U L L H A R D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Somalia
Posts: 23,608
vCash: 420
Bench
Global Moderator/ Hero

__________________
Hardly Human
P U L L H A R D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 08:25 PM
  #292
Bench
Moderator
Realgud!
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Monk's
Posts: 7,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Sunshine View Post
Bench
Global Moderator/ Hero
Damn that looks good.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 09:12 PM
  #293
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!
 
DatsyukToZetterberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Newfoundland
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,894
vCash: 600
The more I look at this draft and where we could be picking, the more I want us to get Shinkaruk. He seems to be the complete package on offense and while he may be a winger a lot of the articles I've been reading about him compare him to Kessel. I don't know about you guys but I wouldn't mind having a 35-45 goal scorer, even if he is another winger.

DatsyukToZetterberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 09:14 PM
  #294
Bench
Moderator
Realgud!
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Monk's
Posts: 7,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
The more I look at this draft and where we could be picking, the more I want us to get Shinkaruk. He seems to be the complete package on offense and while he may be a winger a lot of the articles I've been reading about him compare him to Kessel. I don't know about you guys but I wouldn't mind having a 35-45 goal scorer, even if he is another winger.
Too many goal scorers? Sounds like an awful problem to have.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 02:36 AM
  #295
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?
 
Cyborg Yzerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nowhere Land
Country: Sao Tome e Principe
Posts: 4,695
vCash: 500
Think about it. We could have traded Fil for a second, maybe for a first if we were lucky. White for a second, maybe a third on a bad day. Eaves for a 7th. Traded all 3 picks and our 1st for a 6-12 pick, and potentially have drafted Monahan. Then our prospect center depth would be Monahan-Jarnkrok-Sheahan, which I could comfortably live with. I honestly just wish we could have been buyers or sellers, rather than this stagnant jawn.

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 05:22 AM
  #296
joe89
#5
 
joe89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 16,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
If they were high enough they would have traded everything they could to get to 15th from 30th...
Ottawa traded their 18th overall and a 3rd rounder so they could pick at 15th overall. A 3rd rounder for three spots. Detroit didn't have a 2nd rounder, so pretty much all of Wings draft picks for that 15th overall would've been a worse offer. And it wouldn't have made sense anyway considering how shallow the prospect pool was back then.

In this year's draft however, I wouldn't mind seeing an aggressive take. I think many teams would be interested in trading down in a deep draft and build up some dpeth, while the Wings would rather draft a couple of truly quality prospects.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 05:37 AM
  #297
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT
 
mindfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bloomfield Hills, MI
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Ottawa traded their 18th overall and a 3rd rounder so they could pick at 15th overall. A 3rd rounder for three spots. Detroit didn't have a 2nd rounder, so pretty much all of Wings draft picks for that 15th overall would've been a worse offer. And it wouldn't have made sense anyway considering how shallow the prospect pool was back then.

In this year's draft however, I wouldn't mind seeing an aggressive take. I think many teams would be interested in trading down in a deep draft and build up some dpeth, while the Wings would rather draft a couple of truly quality prospects.
You don't have to trade picks to move up.. there were plenty of promising forwards at the time... Like a playoff performer in franzen or up and coming speedster Helm, whatever it takes to move to that... I bet the team that had the 15th would have accepted that instead of an extra 3rd rounder.

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 05:40 AM
  #298
joe89
#5
 
joe89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Country: Sweden
Posts: 16,521
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
You don't have to trade picks to move up.. there were plenty of promising forwards at the time... Like a playoff performer in franzen or up and coming speedster Helm, whatever it takes to move to that... I bet the team that had the 15th would have accepted that instead of an extra 3rd rounder.
I know it makes sense today five years later, but believe me it wouldn't have back then. Franzen, a point per game playoff permormer playing for under a million bucks. Helm, our best or second best prospect at the time.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 06:28 AM
  #299
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT
 
mindfly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bloomfield Hills, MI
Country: Sweden
Posts: 8,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
I know it makes sense today five years later, but believe me it wouldn't have back then. Franzen, a point per game playoff permormer playing for under a million bucks. Helm, our best or second best prospect at the time.
Like I said, if they really were high enough on Karlsson..... Obviously they weren't enough high.

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 06:38 AM
  #300
Bench
Moderator
Realgud!
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Monk's
Posts: 7,106
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Like I said, if they really were high enough on Karlsson..... Obviously they weren't enough high.
It's up to you to change this. Build a time machine. Warn them of what happens. Tell them to trade Franzen. Go go go!

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.