HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Red Wings Draft Thread 2013

Old
06-10-2013, 06:23 PM
waltdetroit

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
Yikes. I would not want to pass up Wennberg for Hagg or Gauthier.
Many mocks still work on the mistaken premise that the wings desperately need D because Lids retired.

waltdetroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 06:24 PM
Dats Y

http://www.whl.ca/roster/show/id/10489

He's the closest thing I could find. Let's hope he isn't done growing at 6'1, 177 lbs.

Dats Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 06:29 PM
moveslikepavel

Hmm, trade down? I think so. Oh can I get more of that ken-aid while it's kool, thanks mindfly.

moveslikepavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 10:18 PM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dats Y View Post
Cory Conacher proves otherwise.
bobby clarke, HHOFer and winner of 3 harts, selke (selke was created after his prime), 2 cups; also had diabetes. he fell in the draft because of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
it sure seems like alot of people want detroit to draft Hagg over on the mock draft board..

not sure if this is the best use of this high pick
mock drafts very often rely on typecasting.

thus, DRW, ottawa, vancouver, etc very often draft of swedes in 1st rounds of mock drafts, washington and now TBL draft russians.

but i think kronwall is their only swedish 1st round pick.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2013, 10:39 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

I've come around on Hagg, though. He has some serious talent. If the Wings want a LD offensive guy, he's a good pick. I just don't think they need to take a defenseman in the first round this year.

But that said, every rumor I've heard all year long has been that Detroit is very, very high on Hagg.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 08:30 AM
Zetterberg4Captain

if Detroit wants Hagg we should drop down in the first rd, add a second rounder, and then draft him.

I am 40% certain a trade between Detroit and Montreal will happen on the draft floor

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 09:14 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetterberg4Captain View Post
if Detroit wants Hagg we should drop down in the first rd, add a second rounder, and then draft him.

I am 40% certain a trade between Detroit and Montreal will happen on the draft floor
Alright which quebecois is montreal interested in this time
Didn't go so well for them in 2009 with their 18th overall pick (Louis Leblanc)

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 09:29 AM
Zetterberg4Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Alright which quebecois is montreal interested in this time
Didn't go so well for them in 2009 with their 18th overall pick (Louis Leblanc)
I dont think they will want a Quebecer to be honest but rather a power forward type player(they seem to be loving both size and american born players lately)

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 09:56 AM
Chris 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
I would love if we were able to get Theodore maybe not at the 18th pick but in the 23-35 range for sure. He's one of the best skating dman in the draft & he's a LH shot who projects to be a top 4, #1PP QB at the NHL level, something we don't have.

If we miss out on our guy and trade back to 25 I'd have no problem with us taking him there.
tbh i'm not dissing theodore. i don't feel that i know enough about any of these guys to praise or criticise them as potential draft picks. i just think that morreale's reasoning is at best poor. yes, we don't have lidstrom any more, but we have heaps of d-prospects who are either NHL-ready or near NHL-ready. if you're going to highlight a "need", for me it would be a top 6 centre.

Chris 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 11:11 AM
Rzombo4 prez

Does anyone have any thoughts on Erne or Burakovsky at 18? I know they aren't centers but both seem to have a lot going for them and should be around at 18. I for one am not expecting a finished product at 18.

Rzombo4 prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 11:28 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzombo4 prez View Post
Does anyone have any thoughts on Erne or Burakovsky at 18? I know they aren't centers but both seem to have a lot going for them and should be around at 18. I for one am not expecting a finished product at 18.
I can comment on Burakovsky and he's probably got the 2nd highest upside among the Swedes after Lindholm, although he's a winger and Wennberg is a center. He measured in at 6'2.25 at the combine which is really solid. He's got high-end speed, some powermoves and a good release. He's far too thin at the moment, isn't always using his linemates and has had a rough time adjusting to men's hockey. I don't question his on ice work ethic, but off the ice he seems a bit self-centered similar to how his dad was. He refused to re-sign with his SEL2 club because he was unhappy with his ice time and is headed to the CHL for next season. The reward is there and so is the risk.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:03 AM
The Nose
#thefuture

Anyone know much about Victor Crus Rydberg? He was a monster at the combine.

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:09 AM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
Pretty sure the Wings know a lot about him given his parent club. He plays for Linköping's junior team.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 09:54 AM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
Just a solid player in most aspects. Probably wouldn't say high end, but he's got middle six offensive tools. He's got some skating issues to overcome to play in North America. Could be worth a go in the 3rd-4th round.

Old
06-13-2013, 10:56 AM
bababooeyII

Ryan Hartman is the answer, future captain and is a gritty power forward type. I think at worst he will be a Mike Richards type of player.

bababooeyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:57 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababooeyII View Post
Ryan Hartman is the answer, future captain and is a gritty power forward type. I think at worst he will be a Mike Richards type of player.
Dayum, we must draft him then

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 12:22 PM
Rzombo4 prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
Just a solid player in most aspects. Probably wouldn't say high end, but he's got middle six offensive tools. He's got some skating issues to overcome to play in North America. Could be worth a go in the 3rd-4th round.
Since you seem to know a bit about these guys, how is Wallmark's skating? Serviceable?

Rzombo4 prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 05:07 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababooeyII View Post
At worst hes going to be at the level of a Canadian Olynpic gold medalist who plays large role in a cup win?

I think youre setting the bar a little high

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 05:10 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
At worst hes going to be at the level of a Canadian Olynpic gold medalist who plays large role in a cup win?

I like Hartman a lot but agree, that is more a ceiling argument than an at worst statement.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 07:26 PM
djdan6215

Draft

RYAN HARTMAN his an very interesting draft choicevery good futurein the nhl physical player available to score goal good comparaisons with mike richards he is in my top five for the first round draft picks at the 18 rank

valentin zykov,curtis lazar,ryan hartman,kerby rychel,anthony mantha

other interstings picks for the wings for the other round
LAURENT DAUPHIN : probablly not available with our rank at the second round .. some people compare dauphin to zetterberg ...
EMILE POIRIER good young physical shooter
PAVEL BUCHNEVICH play in the khl ...
MICHAEL MCCARRON big physical power forward
JASON DICKINSON
ERIC ROY defense
JONATHAN ISMAEL DIABY big defense from the Q not afaid to drop the mits
GABRYEL PAQUIN BOUDREAU zykov partner
KEATON THOMPSON physical defense
RYAN KUJAWINSKI
ANTHONY DUCLAIR
COLE CASSELS
ROBERT HAGG probably not available in the second round
VIKTOR CRUS RYDBERG
PHILIPPE DESROSIERS if we need a goalie
MICHAEL DOWNING good defense from michigan

djdan6215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 09:00 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzombo4 prez View Post
Since you seem to know a bit about these guys, how is Wallmark's skating? Serviceable?
Serviceable sounds too positive, for a guy his size it's probably below average. Both him and Crus Rydberg have skill sets(but a little different ones) worthy of the 1st or 2nd round but size/skating combo will make them slide. But not bad projects especially with the new four year draft rights for euros.

Old
06-13-2013, 09:07 PM
MBauer

I don't see why people are high on Mantha, I haven't heard good things about his work ethic and defensive play, also he is one of the oldest players in the draft.

I don't really like Hartman at 18 either, I would rather pick someone with higher offensive potential, I think there is a good chance Hartman will never be anything more then a 3rd liner.

Ian McCoshen really interests me but he will probably fall somewhere between or 1st and 2nd picks, if we traded down though I think he would be a great pick.

MBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 09:09 PM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post

I think by 'type of player' he's not referring to ceiling at all but based on pure game style, Richards or Callahan is dead on for Hartman.

At worst his offense doesn't transition and he's a more physical Abdelkader. If he can pan out, he definitely could become comparable to one of those guys.

kuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 09:20 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBauer View Post
I don't see why people are high on Mantha, I haven't heard good things about his work ethic and defensive play, also he is one of the oldest players in the draft.

I don't really like Hartman at 18 either, I would rather pick someone with higher offensive potential, I think there is a good chance Hartman will never be anything more then a 3rd liner.
If you don't want Franzen on the team (most don't), then you don't want to draft Mantha. I'm not sold on Hartman being appropriate for what Detroit needs, either. Even if he turns out, we basically get super-Cleary. I don't think that sort of player addresses any weakness in the system, and I don't think a 5'11 tweener with heart has a world of trade value.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2013, 10:00 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuick View Post
I think by 'type of player' he's not referring to ceiling at all but based on pure game style, Richards or Callahan is dead on for Hartman.

At worst his offense doesn't transition and he's a more physical Abdelkader. If he can pan out, he definitely could become comparable to one of those guys.
Saying a guys play style is that of Richards or Callahan to me says that he plays like a top line NHLer/Olympian. You could just as easily say he plays like Clutterbuck or something like that and the comparison would be fair. Also saying a more physical Abdelkader is iffy as well when the guy is under 6 feet tall and still in junior. Some people dont realize how physical Abdelkader is compared to most in the league

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote