HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Red Wings Draft Thread 2013

Old
02-26-2013, 02:00 AM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWheel1987 View Post
Cyborg Lidstrom and Yzerman.

with genetically modified Pavel Datsyuk who can teleport.
I've been skating every day this week. You guys should see my knee, it's never been better. It's been mechanically altered to take out Zombie Pronger.

Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:40 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Nhl.com with few mock drafts here.

Not focusing on brutality of those rankings, we would have Hartman or Morrissey based on those mocks.

With first mock I'd take Zadorov, or Gauthier
On second Zadorov again or Gauthier, maybe Nicshuskin depending on his plans.
And third one would go for Ristolainen.
I would love for the Wings to draft Zadorov. He's exactly what the Wings need. Hartman is another guy I like, but I'm not sure he has top 6 potential.

I'd like for the Wings to load up on picks this year, lots of good players to be had in the 2nd and 3rd rounds

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:01 PM
Marky9er

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorleaguebrian88 View Post
Unfortunately I only get to see the Eastern Confrence teams once per season here in Guelph. So this was the only time Sudbury will be in town, and almost no one had a good game on the team this time around.

Baptiste did have a few good shifts though, but also some bad ones.

Another player from Guelph I would like to see the Wings draft is Todd Bertuzzi's nephew, Tyler. He fits the "super pest" term to a tee. Grew like 4 or 5 inches since the beginning of his rookie season. He is a bit slight, but he has been putting on muscle. I think he would have enough skill to become a bottom 6 player. He could be had like 6/7 round.
i was really excited about Tyler Berruzzi, but it seems like he's missed a lot of time? I'm with you mlb, my favorites are Guelph and Detroit....not getting to see much of either this year though.

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:39 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Nhl.com with few mock drafts here.

Not focusing on brutality of those rankings, we would have Hartman or Morrissey based on those mocks.

With first mock I'd take Zadorov, or Gauthier
On second Zadorov again or Gauthier, maybe Nicshuskin depending on his plans.
And third one would go for Ristolainen.
I would love for the Wings to draft Zadorov. He's exactly what the Wings need. Hartman is another guy I like, but I'm not sure he has top 6 potential.

I'd like for the Wings to load up on picks this year, lots of good players to be had in the 2nd and 3rd rounds

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:25 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Josh Morrissey is dropping like a rock and seems like a DRW type of prospect.

Harnessed in Slums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 09:51 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
Wasn't he supposed to be the second best defenseman after Seth Jones?

The Nose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 10:46 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Was thinking the same thing, he seems like an Ouellet type to me, where the couple of times I have seen him he just doesn't jump out but has a lot of talent and is very good at everything. But he isn't the type that wows scouts would be my guess, if he falls I could see us buying still.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 11:43 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Can we have a thread where people only talk about prospects they've seen?

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 12:36 PM
StormSurge9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky9er View Post
i was really excited about Tyler Berruzzi, but it seems like he's missed a lot of time? I'm with you mlb, my favorites are Guelph and Detroit....not getting to see much of either this year though.
He did miss a fair amount of time with an injury. Some called it a concussion while others were saying it was more of a neck injury. Since coming back he hasn't gotten into a fight but he is still playing that physical/agitator role. He is finally chipping in with some offence as well, it would be nice to see that continue to develop.

Since coming back from the injury he has 16 points in 21 games. If you look at the month of February as well as the two games in March he has 12 points in 13 games.

I still think it would be cool to have Todd's nephew in the system. Likely could be had in the 5th or later.

StormSurge9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 05:38 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorleaguebrian88 View Post
He did miss a fair amount of time with an injury. Some called it a concussion while others were saying it was more of a neck injury. Since coming back he hasn't gotten into a fight but he is still playing that physical/agitator role. He is finally chipping in with some offence as well, it would be nice to see that continue to develop.

Since coming back from the injury he has 16 points in 21 games. If you look at the month of February as well as the two games in March he has 12 points in 13 games.

I still think it would be cool to have Todd's nephew in the system. Likely could be had in the 5th or later.
Hes a guy I would definitely take a look at. I didnt realize hes grown quite a bit since hes been in the OHL. He used to be tiny but still stuck it out and played big.

He cuold be a Callahan type of prospect.

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 05:58 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
Was thinking the same thing, he seems like an Ouellet type to me, where the couple of times I have seen him he just doesn't jump out but has a lot of talent and is very good at everything. But he isn't the type that wows scouts would be my guess, if he falls I could see us buying still.
It's funny I went back through this thread last night and noticed someone posted some mock drafts and 2 of the 3 writers had the Wings taking Morrissey. He definitely sounds like an Ouellet-like player, possibly with a bit more offensive skill.

Old
03-06-2013, 05:34 PM
StormSurge9

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Hes a guy I would definitely take a look at. I didnt realize hes grown quite a bit since hes been in the OHL. He used to be tiny but still stuck it out and played big.

He cuold be a Callahan type of prospect.
Yep. A full 3 inches from the beginning of his rookie year to the start of this season. May still grow an inch or two as well. He also put on about 15 pounds from the start of his rookie year as well.

Another summer in the weight room and he could really start to become a force.

StormSurge9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 05:57 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

vCash: 600
I don't know how you guys feel about our pool but I personally feel like we're low on centers, not just high ceiling guys but centers in general. I know Jarnkrok & Sheahan project well & that Ferraro is playing extremely well this year. It just seems that we don't have as much depth there as we do on the wing or on the backend.

So with that in mind asked in the prospects forum who the top centers were and this is the list that they came up with:

Quote:
Mackinnon
Barkov
Monahan
Lindholm
Domi
Wennberg
Dickinson
Gauthier
Lazar
Horvat
Compher
Petan
Dauphin
In bold are the guys 6'2 or bigger. The reason I want the size is if we do move to the east we're going to need some more grit down the middle to deal with the extra toughness out there (look at MTL as an example of a small team trying to get bigger).

The 2 guys who may fall to us would be Monahan or Lindholm both I would snatch up in an instant, assuming we're picking in 15-20 range. Otherwise I really hope we take Gauthier, he's 6'4 and he do it all. He's also from the Q and we know how much The Wings like their Q boys.

DatsyukToZetterberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:00 PM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
I don't know how you guys feel about our pool but I personally feel like we're low on centers, not just high ceiling guys but centers in general. I know Jarnkrok & Sheahan project well & that Ferraro is playing extremely well this year. It just seems that we don't have as much depth there as we do on the wing or on the backend.

So with that in mind asked in the prospects forum who the top centers were and this is the list that they came up with:

In bold are the guys 6'2 or bigger. The reason I want the size is if we do move to the east we're going to need some more grit down the middle to deal with the extra toughness out there (look at MTL as an example of a small team trying to get bigger).

The 2 guys who may fall to us would be Monahan or Lindholm both I would snatch up in an instant, assuming we're picking in 15-20 range. Otherwise I really hope we take Gauthier, he's 6'4 and he do it all. He's also from the Q and we know how much The Wings like their Q boys.
We do have some big centers coming up through the pipeline.

Andersson is 6'2"
Sheahan is 6'2"
Louis-Marc Aubry is 6'4"

There's no problem adding another guy with size but two of these guys can easily fill out center spots on the 2nd and 3rd line within 1-2 years. Aubry is a bit more of a long shot but at a bare minimum he may be able to lock down the 4th line pivot spot. We draft so late that the odds of us securing a 6'2"+ center to man a scoring line seem a bit long. If the Wings think one is available when they pick then by all means pull the trigger. If not go with the best player and you can always make trades later if necessary to help fill needs.

Old
03-06-2013, 07:39 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post

I am a little surprised by this big center in the east argument. I know some of the eastern teams fight more and things of that nature, but these massive guys are where exactly?

Thornton, Kopitar, Hanzel, Jamie Benn, M. Koivu, Backes, Berglund, Kesler, Getzlaf basically the Rangers two biggest centers (Boyle is a bottom line player) are now in Coumbus.

Outside of Malkin, Vinny L and the Staal's I mean down the middle I am having trouble calling the East bigger.

Tavares, Crosby, Giroux, Briere, Tavares, Stamkos are not particularly large guys.

I don't think it is a rougher conference, I think it is a conference that fights more. The large star players don't forecheck or play with the physical nature I keep reading about. Think Boston is helping sway this argument. You really think it is a ton of fun to play St. Louis, LA, and San Jose either? The Wings won't fight often anyway, not the biggest concern. I don't mind them drafting it, but the best player available is still probably the way to go especially if we draft decently high. No way Monohan or Lindholm fall like that prediction either, of course it would be great to get them at 15-20, that also means they fail their physical or something.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:50 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

Quote:
We do have some big centers coming up through the pipeline.

Andersson is 6'2"
Sheahan is 6'2"
Louis-Marc Aubry is 6'4"

There's no problem adding another guy with size but two of these guys can easily fill out center spots on the 2nd and 3rd line within 1-2 years. Aubry is a bit more of a long shot but at a bare minimum he may be able to lock down the 4th line pivot spot. We draft so late that the odds of us securing a 6'2"+ center to man a scoring line seem a bit long. If the Wings think one is available when they pick then by all means pull the trigger. If not go with the best player and you can always make trades later if necessary to help fill needs.
Yeah but 2 of those 3 guys are bottom six, one of which is doubtful to ever make it, and Sheahan is only now finding his offensive game. I'm all for taking BPA but if we have the chance this draft I'd like to take a big centerman with skill (this draft has a couple of guys).

Old
03-06-2013, 08:11 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
I am a little surprised by this big center in the east argument. I know some of the eastern teams fight more and things of that nature, but these massive guys are where exactly?

Thornton, Kopitar, Hanzel, Jamie Benn, M. Koivu, Backes, Berglund, Kesler, Getzlaf basically the Rangers two biggest centers (Boyle is a bottom line player) are now in Coumbus.

Outside of Malkin, Vinny L and the Staal's I mean down the middle I am having trouble calling the East bigger.

Tavares, Crosby, Giroux, Briere, Tavares, Stamkos are not particularly large guys.

I don't think it is a rougher conference, I think it is a conference that fights more. The large star players don't forecheck or play with the physical nature I keep reading about. Think Boston is helping sway this argument. You really think it is a ton of fun to play St. Louis, LA, and San Jose either? The Wings won't fight often anyway, not the biggest concern. I don't mind them drafting it, but the best player available is still probably the way to go especially if we draft decently high. No way Monohan or Lindholm fall like that prediction either, of course it would be great to get them at 15-20, that also means they fail their physical or something.

Yeah it was more wishfully thinking on my part, if only there was a Swedish factor then maybe we'd have a chance to pick Lindholm up, though Grigorenko did fall last year. As I said above if we can draft him I hope we go for Gauthier though if we are given the chance.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:17 PM
The Nose
#FireHolland

This is the year I want the Wings to trade up. If our 1st + one of our better prospects can get us Lindholm I'd be all over it.

The Nose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:41 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
This is the year I want the Wings to trade up. If our 1st + one of our better prospects can get us Lindholm I'd be all over it.
Agree. It doesnt have to be just for Lindholm but the wings have so much depth that getting rid of one prsopect and a pick for a higher pick and potentially landing that blue chip guy I would be all over it

Old
03-06-2013, 11:21 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
It would probably be our 1st + Jarnkrok for Lindholm. So nothing we want to do.

Guru Meditation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:32 PM
Anchor Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
It would probably be our 1st + Jarnkrok for Lindholm. So nothing we want to do.
Why would it "probably" be Jarnkrok? Why not any of our other top 10 prospects, why specifically him?

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:47 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Could as well be 1st+Nyquist(most skills)/Shehan(big canadian center)/Smith (NHL player, probably top4 player in a near future). Depending what other team needs the most.

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:32 AM
Syckle78

Quote:
I would prefer we just don't make the playoffs and get a high pick that way. If Holland statements reflect reality and no impact player will be brought in the playoffs are a pointless endeavor. Giving up assets to move up would be a mistake. We need as much youth and potential as we can stockpile.

Syckle78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:51 AM
Rzombo4 prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syckle78 View Post
I would prefer we just don't make the playoffs and get a high pick that way. If Holland statements reflect reality and no impact player will be brought in the playoffs are a pointless endeavor. Giving up assets to move up would be a mistake. We need as much youth and potential as we can stockpile.
This team isn't going to tank on purpose.

Rzombo4 prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:18 AM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Could as well be 1st+Nyquist(most skills)/Shehan(big canadian center)/Smith (NHL player, probably top4 player in a near future). Depending what other team needs the most.
Its pretty hard to say considering no one knows where the wings will be picking. If they were picking at say 10th overall for example, moving up to seven wouldnt cost the 10th overall and Nyquist/Smith or whoever