HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

2013 Expectations & Thoughts

Closed Thread

Old
01-05-2013, 10:25 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

vCash: 500
I think there's a real possibility something is messed up with Seto as well. He doesn't have the high profile negative talk Semin does but something isn't right with the trajectory this guy's career has taken. Personally I wouldn't put either one of them on my top list of guys but Shero may not have many options. I'd explore the Hemsky angle first, maybe a big package deal for Ryan Clowe (go big vs. trying to get a 1 for 1 type deal). Ship that 2013 1st out, which would be very valuable given the number of good F in this draft, and especially if the lottery format might change to favor playoff teams a bit more.

Martin + 2013 1st + assets might be enough to get someone like Clowe, so we can skip all the 2nd rate underachieving types we talked about all summer.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:30 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
I think there's a real possibility something is messed up with Seto as well. He doesn't have the high profile negative talk Semin does but something isn't right with the trajectory this guy's career has taken. Personally I wouldn't put either one of them on my top list of guys but Shero may not have many options. I'd explore the Hemsky angle first, maybe a big package deal for Ryan Clowe (go big vs. trying to get a 1 for 1 type deal). Ship that 2013 1st out, which would be very valuable given the number of good F in this draft, and especially if the lottery format might change to favor playoff teams a bit more.

Martin + 2013 1st + assets might be enough to get someone like Clowe, so we can skip all the 2nd rate underachieving types we talked about all summer.
I believe our locker room, talent, coaching staff and system would allow for guys like Seto and Stewart to shine. They're still young.

I'd be fine with Hemsky as well. Guy would be truly dangerous with an elite center.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:32 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
I believe our locker room, talent, coaching staff and system would allow for guys like Seto and Stewart to shine. They're still young.

I'd be fine with Hemsky as well. Guy would be truly dangerous with an elite center.
To me this is misguided. We don't have a bunch of career counselors and hand-holders in this locker room. Sid and Geno don't magically transform bad attitudes into good attitudes.

Stewart especially has had his work ethic questioned multiple times, even by his coach. I want no part of that guy right now. Not until he proves he's back on the right track. It's not like anyone is going ot give him a long-term deal anytime soon; he's too big a risk. We'll get a shot at him eventually if Shero decides he's worth a shot.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:34 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Please Clowe, pleeeeease.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:36 PM
Sivek

I'd definitely be for trading for Hemsky and considering how the Oil need d-man, they're a logical fit for the Pens' strength in that area. Just look at the forwards EDM has fighting for top-6 time, RNH, Hall, Eberle, Gagner, Hemsky, Yakupov, Smyth, they could definitely stand to move a forward to shore up their d.

Hemsky's quietly been about a ppg player every year post-lockout except for last year and despite his injury problems, he's not necessarily the soft player I think people have perceived him to be since he's European and has missed a lot of games.

Not as high on Clowe as everybody else for a number of reasons.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:41 PM
mpp9

Quote:
To me this is misguided. We don't have a bunch of career counselors and hand-holders in this locker room. Sid and Geno don't magically transform bad attitudes into good attitudes.

Stewart especially has had his work ethic questioned multiple times, even by his coach. I want no part of that guy right now. Not until he proves he's back on the right track. It's not like anyone is going ot give him a long-term deal anytime soon; he's too big a risk. We'll get a shot at him eventually if Shero decides he's worth a shot.
Alot of those same criticisms were leveled at Neal before he came here. We have the assets to buy low on potential 40 goal scorers. No doubt Stewart could work harder. But if you were a guy who came into the league having back to back 28 goal campaigns off of skill alone, you might slack off too. Geno wasn't nearly as dedicated to offseason training just two years ago.

I won't comment on Seto's off ice decisions, don't know enough about them. But with a guy like Stewart, he's someone who can create offense off the rush, needs prime opportunity on the PP in front of the net and an elite center. We have a system, need on the PP and the center to get him to career numbers. I think that will light a fire under him and then some.

I'd be willing to sacrifice a D-man who isn't going to be on the roster much longer or a defense prospect out of the many we have to bring a guy like that in. Good gamble IMO.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:49 PM
SEALBound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sivek View Post
I'd definitely be for trading for Hemsky and considering how the Oil need d-man, they're a logical fit for the Pens' strength in that area. Just look at the forwards EDM has fighting for top-6 time, RNH, Hall, Eberle, Gagner, Hemsky, Yakupov, Smyth, they could definitely stand to move a forward to shore up their d.

Hemsky's quietly been about a ppg player every year post-lockout except for last year and despite his injury problems, he's not necessarily the soft player I think people have perceived him to be since he's European and has missed a lot of games.

Not as high on Clowe as everybody else for a number of reasons.
I'll pass on Hemsky at $5mil. Not worth it. Much better options out there at that price.

Old
01-05-2013, 10:50 PM
MichiganWolverines
Big Mac Attack

I wonder if Edmonton will re-sign Ryan Jones? I would love him on the penguins' 3rd line.

Old
01-05-2013, 11:07 PM
Hottubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWolverines View Post
I wonder if Edmonton will re-sign Ryan Jones? I would love him on the penguins' 3rd line.
Ryan jones would be a great 3rd liner. I was going to post earlier that he is a guy I would like to replace Cooke on the third line. Guy hustles hits and fights. All the things Cooke use to do more regularly (minus the fighting). Don't think he has the goal scoring upside but doesn't really get a huge opportunity in Edmonton either

Old
01-05-2013, 11:43 PM
Dangles78

Where's that video of Hemsky completely bailing on the icing call? **** that. I'd love Clowe...Hemsky? Hell no.

Old
01-06-2013, 12:09 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:

I agree that we could use a steadying hand/respected vocal leader.

But that has nothing to do with Stewart, and if we had a chance at napping him, we should take that gamble in 5 seconds flat, because when he delivers consistently, he either wont be available or we'd have to pay more than we have.

He is just not the kind of player for Hitch - and St.Louis are extremely well served as regards capable forwards who are. We accept more free wheeling and have a decided need for someone with exactly his attributes.

Old
01-06-2013, 01:13 AM
SEALBound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottubber View Post
Ryan jones would be a great 3rd liner. I was going to post earlier that he is a guy I would like to replace Cooke on the third line. Guy hustles hits and fights. All the things Cooke use to do more regularly (minus the fighting). Don't think he has the goal scoring upside but doesn't really get a huge opportunity in Edmonton either
That would be awesome cause then TK could move to the top line!!!

Old
01-06-2013, 05:20 AM
shureshot66
Global Moderator

Season thread is up!

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1316739

Closed Thread