HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you make this trade...

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-23-2005, 02:46 PM
  #1
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,122
vCash: 500
Would you make this trade...

Before I post it in that Caps proposal, I'd like to see what people think...

To NAS: Alexander Ovechkin
to WAS: Ryan Suter, Scott Hartnell, 1st(unless the drafts are combined, which they won't be) in 2005

There's not much I'd trade Hartnell for, but Ovechkin is EXACTLY what we need. Big, dynamic center that does everything well. At the end of the day, how much better will Suter be than Hamhuis? I think both will be star defensemen, but it's an asset for us and could be used to land the best Russian since Kovalchuk, someone who may end up a more complete player.

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Old
02-23-2005, 02:58 PM
  #2
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 17,183
vCash: 500
I think it would be great to sell tickets but that's about it. A superstar IMHO is overrated, especially when giving up two great players and possible 3 great player to get him. Ovechkin will never play powerforward and shutdown defenseman at the same time.

I'd take the depth, you keep the superstar.

triggrman is offline  
Old
02-23-2005, 03:01 PM
  #3
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
I think it would be great to sell tickets but that's about it. A superstar IMHO is overrated, especially when giving up two great players and possible 3 great player to get him. Ovechkin will never play powerforward and shutdown defenseman at the same time.

I'd take the depth, you keep the superstar.
I agree with you to an extent, but that's why I chose the players I did. It's well-known that Hartnell is my favorite Predator, and Suter is a great defenseman...but they're not the special type of player that Ovechkin is. The first would likely be in the 10-15 range, which if this 2005 only, is only going to net us a DECENT center prospect(Skille, O'Marra, Kopitar). The other spots can be replenished, but Ovechkin represents something we simply don't have in our system.

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Old
02-23-2005, 03:27 PM
  #4
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
I may be wrong, but is Ovechkin a center? I'm pretty sure he is LW. I think he won an award for being the Top LWer in the RSL last year, if I'm not mistaken.

SmokeyClause is offline  
Old
02-23-2005, 05:10 PM
  #5
HyperSniper
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: On the Prowl
Posts: 227
vCash: 500
Yeah, he's a LW...Malkin is the C.

I'll keep Suter/Hartnell...they can keep the big head.

HyperSniper is offline  
Old
02-23-2005, 05:12 PM
  #6
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chattanooga TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,509
vCash: 500
No - I would trade Weber for Handzus though .

__________________
- Enoch -
Enoch is offline  
Old
02-23-2005, 05:16 PM
  #7
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
No - I would trade Weber for Handzus though .

I wouldn't.

Handzus has shown that he's a great third line center...or a mediocre second line center. I'd want more if we were giving away Weber.

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Old
02-23-2005, 09:31 PM
  #8
Drury77
Registered User
 
Drury77's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Clarksville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 9,059
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Drury77 Send a message via Yahoo to Drury77 Send a message via Skype™ to Drury77
I'd keep Suter and Hartnell.........I think he's a bit overrated. But I'm not the greatest judge of prospects either.

I like what Suter has to offer us, and Hartnell can only get better IMHO

Drury77 is offline  
Old
02-24-2005, 08:01 AM
  #9
crossxcheck
Registered User
 
crossxcheck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Nashvegas
Country: United States
Posts: 2,762
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
truthfully, I like what I've seen of Malkin more than Ovechkin.

crossxcheck is offline  
Old
02-24-2005, 12:11 PM
  #10
Upchuck19
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 604
vCash: 500
I was really high on Ovechkin before this world junior tournment. The way the Canadians hit him took him right out of the game, maybe he can get tougher but he really disapointed me.

Upchuck19 is offline  
Old
02-24-2005, 03:55 PM
  #11
hillbilly
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Tennessee
Country: United States
Posts: 1,590
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to hillbilly
no way in hell

hillbilly is offline  
Old
02-24-2005, 05:25 PM
  #12
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly
no way in hell

Well, we know why YOU wouldn't

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Old
02-24-2005, 11:19 PM
  #13
hillbilly
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Tennessee
Country: United States
Posts: 1,590
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to hillbilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
Well, we know why YOU wouldn't
IMO there is no chance that would be a solid deal for us. Thats like banking that Ovechkin is the next Lemieux. I'm not willing to take that chance. On anyone that young.

hillbilly is offline  
Old
02-25-2005, 01:05 AM
  #14
andora
Registered User
 
andora's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Illuminating Prince
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,025
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to andora
nah, the baby wouldn't fit in with our men

andora is offline  
Old
02-25-2005, 02:16 AM
  #15
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by andora
nah, the baby wouldn't fit in with our men

alright, well, how about Andrei Markov? Will that package snare him?

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Old
02-25-2005, 03:16 AM
  #16
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Basher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Phx
Country: United States
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
too much for one guy...er....boy- goes against everything that is nashville predators. we will never have the biggest stars or highest paid players, we just get the guys that will get it done.

Basher is offline  
Old
02-25-2005, 08:13 AM
  #17
quartermaster29
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 487
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to quartermaster29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basher
too much for one guy...er....boy- goes against everything that is nashville predators. we will never have the biggest stars or highest paid players, we just get the guys that will get it done.
Um... don't you mean "the guys that will git-r-done"?

quartermaster29 is offline  
Old
02-25-2005, 09:28 AM
  #18
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chattanooga TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,509
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by quartermaster29
Um... don't you mean "the guys that will git-r-done"?


Clutch!

Enoch is offline  
Old
02-25-2005, 09:33 AM
  #19
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,283
vCash: 500
no way I would do that deal ... that is severe overpayment

Joe T Choker is offline  
Old
02-25-2005, 11:24 AM
  #20
tulsytrid1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Murfreesbo Tennessee
Country: United States
Posts: 1,487
vCash: 500
I would have to pass too. It would be hard because this team really hasn't had that type of impact player, but to give 3 early first rounders up for him would be just too much to let go of.

tulsytrid1 is offline  
Old
02-25-2005, 11:59 AM
  #21
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Strummer
no way I would do that deal ... that is severe overpayment

Consider what's been given up for similar impact\possible superstar players in the past. It's actually about right.

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Old
03-15-2005, 03:25 PM
  #22
aragorn
YES WE CAN
 
aragorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Azores
Posts: 10,859
vCash: 500
Would you guys take Antoine Vermette or Igor Mirnov for Weber?

aragorn is offline  
Old
03-15-2005, 06:00 PM
  #23
Pred303
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Murfreesboro, Tn.
Country: United States
Posts: 2,747
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn
Would you guys take Antoine Vermette or Igor Mirnov for Weber?
certainly not for mirnov,don't like the part about too many people questioning his two way effort..and question marks in his own zone

vermette is interesting with the preds need for centermen...a quick 21 year old center/playmaker with decent size..rated as ottowa's top prospect(an 8.0 B in the ranking systems)...him missing an entire year with the concussion?/pinched nerve? gives pause however...but he looks like a real player

and the preds need a defenseman like weber worse than they need a centerman i truely believe...probably can pick up a decent 2nd line young center in the free agent market..but a bruising promising young defenseman like weber won't be as readily available in the free agent market...in fact there won't be anything like that that Nashville could sign....so i just don't see that the preds would ever make this deal honestly

Pred303 is offline  
Old
03-15-2005, 09:36 PM
  #24
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303
certainly not for mirnov,don't like the part about too many people questioning his two way effort..and question marks in his own zone

vermette is interesting with the preds need for centermen...a quick 21 year old center/playmaker with decent size..rated as ottowa's top prospect(an 8.0 B in the ranking systems)...him missing an entire year with the concussion?/pinched nerve? gives pause however...but he looks like a real player

and the preds need a defenseman like weber worse than they need a centerman i truely believe...probably can pick up a decent 2nd line young center in the free agent market..but a bruising promising young defenseman like weber won't be as readily available in the free agent market...in fact there won't be anything like that that Nashville could sign....so i just don't see that the preds would ever make this deal honestly

Agreed. Vermette is a guy I'd love to get my hands on, but not at the cost of Weber.

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Old
03-16-2005, 01:57 AM
  #25
Backstabbertuzzi
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
Before I post it in that Caps proposal, I'd like to see what people think...

To NAS: Alexander Ovechkin
to WAS: Ryan Suter, Scott Hartnell, 1st(unless the drafts are combined, which they won't be) in 2005

There's not much I'd trade Hartnell for, but Ovechkin is EXACTLY what we need. Big, dynamic center that does everything well. At the end of the day, how much better will Suter be than Hamhuis? I think both will be star defensemen, but it's an asset for us and could be used to land the best Russian since Kovalchuk, someone who may end up a more complete player.
Thats an awful lot for us to give up even for a top young talent like Ovechkin.Also in any kind of weighted draft that 1st rounder could be a very valuable asset in itself.I'd have a tough enough time parting with Suter and Hartnell nevermind the 1st on top of them.
Thats probably what it would take to pry him away from the caps,but i would pass if i were Poile.Two high quality youngsters and quite possibly a 3rd is just too much.

 
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.