HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Havlat to NJ

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-02-2013, 01:11 AM
  #1
Scottyk9
Nolan or Nico ?
 
Scottyk9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: West of Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 28,352
vCash: 432
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Havlat to NJ

Gives the Devils a scoring winger they need. Granted with some injury risk.

Injury history and shrinking cap in next CBA likely brings the price down

Good friends with Elias.

Go.

Scottyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 01:13 AM
  #2
Chacal667
Registered User
 
Chacal667's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,465
vCash: 500
havlat for a first ?

Chacal667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 01:17 AM
  #3
HavlatMach9
streamable 3rah1
 
HavlatMach9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,353
vCash: 500
Avoid Havlat because of injuries. No more than a 1st and a prospect.
Edit: Surprisingly healthy the past few years.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 01:18 AM
  #4
WTFetus
Moderator
Marlov
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 13,933
vCash: 500
SJ has no interest of trading Havlat unless it's for a huge overpayment.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 01:20 AM
  #5
ChubbChubby
Using tilt controls!
 
ChubbChubby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 3,317
vCash: 500
Havlat is exactly the type of player the Sharks need, and trading him away will only make that hole worse. There is zero chance he gets traded away unless the return is significant.

ChubbChubby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 01:23 AM
  #6
capitalsrock
Registered User
 
capitalsrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 2,583
vCash: 500
San Jose has no interest in anything that the Devils are willing to give up, which is mainly defense. San Jose is looking to upgrade their offense and I doubt New Jersey is looking to trade away their limited offense.

capitalsrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 01:54 AM
  #7
Juxtaposer
Getcho Crayon
 
Juxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bay Area
Country: United States
Posts: 37,443
vCash: 50
There's no trade to be made here. We need more, not less speedy top-6 wingers.

Juxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 02:11 AM
  #8
Paralyzer008
Registered User
 
Paralyzer008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,881
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
SJ has no interest of trading Havlat unless it's for a huge overpayment.
I would hold on a second there.

If the cap does indeed go down and the Sharks re-sign Clowe, I could see the Sharks having to move Havlat because of his high cap hit

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 02:12 AM
  #9
WTFetus
Moderator
Marlov
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 13,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
I would hold on a second there.

If the cap does indeed go down and the Sharks re-sign Clowe, I could see the Sharks having to move Havlat because of his high cap hit
Except Havlat >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Clowe

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 03:24 AM
  #10
BonkTastic
ಠ_ಠ
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 23,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
Except Havlat >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Clowe
Is... is Clowe available, then?

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:17 AM
  #11
SCinSJ
Sith Lord Burns
 
SCinSJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Rafael, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,429
vCash: 500
For the right price... yes.

SCinSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 03:03 PM
  #12
Pinkfloyd
Registered User
 
Pinkfloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Roseville
Country: United States
Posts: 48,906
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
I would hold on a second there.

If the cap does indeed go down and the Sharks re-sign Clowe, I could see the Sharks having to move Havlat because of his high cap hit
If the cap goes down and they re-sign Clowe, they will be fine even with Havlat. Clowe isn't getting more than 4.5 mil and that's over-payment as well for his services and a dropping cap. They will also have other avenues to pursue to be cap compliant with a potential amnesty buyout of people like Antti Niemi, Brad Stuart, or Adam Burish.

The Sharks need more speed in their lineup and trading Havlat only makes sense if they get a top six with speed in return and another forward with speed. Chances are unlikely that happens. Besides, I wouldn't be surprised to see Clowe walk at the end of the year anyway.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 03:16 PM
  #13
Seatoo
Never Stop Poasting
 
Seatoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Interior of BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,978
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
There's no trade to be made here. We need more, not less speedy top-6 wingers.
Hey so we have this guy named Mason Raymond...

Seatoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 03:47 PM
  #14
DuckEatinShark
GET ALL THE PPs!!!!
 
DuckEatinShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Jose
Posts: 6,191
vCash: 500
For Havlat the Sharks would require a speedy top 6 winger. You know, like Havlat

We were a middle of the road team when Havlat was out, but when he returned he changed the dynamics of this team. His speed and creativity was instrumental for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Is... is Clowe available, then?
Absolutely. If the cap goes down, Murray and Clowe could be the first two victims.

DuckEatinShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:00 PM
  #15
Juxtaposer
Getcho Crayon
 
Juxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bay Area
Country: United States
Posts: 37,443
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Is... is Clowe available, then?
For a different (read: faster) top-6 winger, yes.

Juxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 04:27 PM
  #16
Prairie Habs
Registered User
 
Prairie Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckEatinShark View Post
For Havlat the Sharks would require a speedy top 6 winger. You know, like Havlat

We were a middle of the road team when Havlat was out, but when he returned he changed the dynamics of this team. His speed and creativity was instrumental for us.



Absolutely. If the cap goes down, Murray and Clowe could be the first two victims.
Montreal would have interest in both I would think. We also have a lot of speedy wingers who could be available at the right price. Depending on how the season goes Gionta or even Cole could be moved, or if you are looking for prospects Kristo and Gallagher both fit the bill.

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:02 PM
  #17
jpchabby
Drive for 25
 
jpchabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
Montreal would have interest in both I would think. We also have a lot of speedy wingers who could be available at the right price. Depending on how the season goes Gionta or even Cole could be moved, or if you are looking for prospects Kristo and Gallagher both fit the bill.
I highly doubt Montreal would trade either one of Gionta and Cole. Maybe Cole if he has an absolutely disgusting season, but no way we trade our captain. I just don't see Bergevin doing that.

As for the prospect, they have very little value in my opinion so it wouldn't really work I guess.

jpchabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:28 PM
  #18
Prairie Habs
Registered User
 
Prairie Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,286
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchabby View Post
I highly doubt Montreal would trade either one of Gionta and Cole. Maybe Cole if he has an absolutely disgusting season, but no way we trade our captain. I just don't see Bergevin doing that.

As for the prospect, they have very little value in my opinion so it wouldn't really work I guess.
If our season goes down hill fast I can see Montreal moving out Gionta for Clowe + a small future. We have a new GM and a new coach so they might be looking for a change-up in the locker room and to reduce salary. Clowe is also a Therrien type player and I can definitely see us going after him either when he hits UFA or sooner.

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 05:40 PM
  #19
ManoWarrior
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
For a different (read: faster) top-6 winger, yes.
Sold. For Raymond and a 5th

ManoWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:18 PM
  #20
Zippy316
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 13,372
vCash: 500
I initially said this, figuring that if the cap went down, he would be one of the most obvious victims, but apparently it's not the case.

I was really only considering this if the cap went down, making the Sharks have to dump Havlat. The return for Havlat wouldn't be as great as the Sharks would have no leverage, so a cheap salary-wise deal like Tedenby+Urbom+pick might be a good deal for the Sharks in that scenario.

In a straight up deal, the Devils don't have the pieces that the Sharks need nor can they offer the afford to offer the pieces that the Sharks would need to get a deal done. Our best trading asset that we can give up right now is probably Merrill, Tallinder, and a guy like Urbom. Other than that, there is nothing on our roster or prospect pool we can afford to give up or has a significant amount of value.

Zippy316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 06:40 PM
  #21
Juxtaposer
Getcho Crayon
 
Juxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bay Area
Country: United States
Posts: 37,443
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoWarrior View Post
Sold. For Raymond and a 5th
Where's the top-6 winger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
I initially said this, figuring that if the cap went down, he would be one of the most obvious victims, but apparently it's not the case.

I was really only considering this if the cap went down, making the Sharks have to dump Havlat. The return for Havlat wouldn't be as great as the Sharks would have no leverage, so a cheap salary-wise deal like Tedenby+Urbom+pick might be a good deal for the Sharks in that scenario.

In a straight up deal, the Devils don't have the pieces that the Sharks need nor can they offer the afford to offer the pieces that the Sharks would need to get a deal done. Our best trading asset that we can give up right now is probably Merrill, Tallinder, and a guy like Urbom. Other than that, there is nothing on our roster or prospect pool we can afford to give up or has a significant amount of value.
The Sharks would trade Boyle before trading Havlat. There's no way Havlat gets moved for Tedenby+Urbom+pick (unless it's a top-10 pick). I'd buy out Boyle before trading Havlat for that return.

Juxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 07:31 PM
  #22
Paralyzer008
Registered User
 
Paralyzer008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,881
vCash: 500
The Sharks would trade Boyle before trading Havlat. There's no way Havlat gets moved for Tedenby+Urbom+pick (unless it's a top-10 pick). I'd buy out Boyle before trading Havlat for that return.[/QUOTE]

I'm still confused by this, because even though Boyle is old, him and Burns are the main catalysts of that defense, and if you trade one of them, their D looks really weak.

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 08:15 PM
  #23
WTFetus
Moderator
Marlov
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 13,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
I'm still confused by this, because even though Boyle is old, him and Burns are the main catalysts of that defense, and if you trade one of them, their D looks really weak.
It actually doesn't.

Vlasic - Burns (very solid 1st pair)
Stuart - Demers (acceptable 2nd pair). Both players had an off year last year. Stuart might not rebound, but I have complete faith in Demers. I wouldn't be surprised if Stuart rebounds too. Family plays a huge part in how well a player plays.
Murray - Braun (good 3rd pair).
Petrecki/Acolatse/Vandermeer/etc as the 7th.

Boyle isn't necessary anymore. I was willing to trade him even without the lowered salary cap rumors.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 10:47 PM
  #24
Juxtaposer
Getcho Crayon
 
Juxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bay Area
Country: United States
Posts: 37,443
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
I'm still confused by this, because even though Boyle is old, him and Burns are the main catalysts of that defense, and if you trade one of them, their D looks really weak.
Obviously I'm not looking to shop Boyle specifically, if the Sharks are looking to keep trying to be competitive, but I wouldn't mind him going. The reason behind this is that the way Burns played down the stretch and into the playoffs (where he was our best player behind Thornton, easily) has me convinced that he's our #1 defenseman next season whether Boyle's here or not. Vlasic is our clear-cut shut-down minute-munching #2, and that leaves Boyle in the second pairing, not playing as many minutes (which actually would probably be good for him) and eating up quite a bit of salary.

Vlasic-Burns
Stuart-Demers
Murray-Braun

Isn't the almost top-5 defense the Sharks posted at evens last year, but it's still middle of the pack and if we could get a solid 2nd/3rd line tweener for Boyle it would improve the team overall. Boyle does a lot for the Sharks, but his contract and his age plus having Burns makes him expendable.

Juxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-02-2013, 11:16 PM
  #25
Mattb124
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,632
vCash: 500
The thing I worry about if we trade away Boyle is our power play efficiency. He is still among the best QB's in the NHL.

Mattb124 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2017 All Rights Reserved.