HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

SF • Jan. 3 • Canada 1, United States 5

View Poll Results: Who wins?
Canada in regulation 186 53.14%
Canada in OT/SO 40 11.43%
U.S. in regulation 92 26.29%
U.S. in OT/SO 32 9.14%
Voters: 350. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-02-2013, 05:59 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Habs View Post
5-2 Canada

That look on its face on the last frame "wtf just happened?"

Old
01-02-2013, 06:02 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
If I see you complaining after the game about fatigue, I might have to call you out on it

Do I have some kind of history of pointless topics that I'm unaware of? I critique my own nation's team as much as any other, probably more so.

You are right. The bye can be a detriment to an unprepared squad. Canada was kind of lucky this year. By order of their opponents, they have had ramped up competition every game. I wouldn't expect a flat start from them.
They wont be fatigued, not to a point significant to even see. that issue might not come until the gold medal game if they make it. there might not be any back history to your posts, but dillusional they still are! you just arent giving credit to team USA who has blownout their last two opponents...the same Slovakia team that went up 3-1 on you guys. you want to minimize the US strengths and make up excuses as to why they beat down the Czech team.

This is my favorite time of year, and I couldnt be happier that these 2 teams will face each other tomorrow (though I prefer in the Gold medal game), but I am not minimizing anything that Canada has done this tourney as some of their games have had plenty of issues that any US poster could throw out there.

these kids are jacked through the roof, if any of them are tired they should be deported as I would give my right eye to be in this game tomorrow!

Old
01-02-2013, 06:04 PM
coursy17

It's really simple. The winner of this game wins gold. Canada is the favourite and they deserve to be. USA has found their scoring, Slovakia and Czech Republic are decent teams. 16 goals against those teams is impressive no matter what excuses you can think of. No other teams destroyed either of those teams in this tournament. USA has struggled against the ELITE teams but those ELITE teams struggled against USA too. Russia won 2-1. Canada won 2-1 either of those games could have easily gone the other way plain and simple. This game could easily go both ways. I am Canadian, we do have RNH and we are rested so for that

4-2 Canada empty netter

Old
01-02-2013, 06:07 PM
Killahpunk
Legend

vCash: 1004
I predict this thread will have over 400 posts before the game even starts.

Old
01-02-2013, 06:07 PM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacgreg37 View Post
No, and if you look back, neither was I about the US. In fact, my first post said that they could very well win the game.

I just wasn't super impressed about blowouts over the two teams. I've made my point, apparently you don't agree. But you certainly can't say that no argument can be made that they're not quality, cuz I just made one.
Be reasonable here Canada beat the US by one goal. Outscoring the Slovaks / Czech 16-3 is actually impressive. I 've been one of their toughest critics and they have proven me off base.

Old
01-02-2013, 06:10 PM
phillipsj89

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
They wont be fatigued, not to a point significant to even see. that issue might not come until the gold medal game if they make it. there might not be any back history to your posts, but dillusional they still are! you just arent giving credit to team USA who has blownout their last two opponents...the same Slovakia team that went up 3-1 on you guys. you want to minimize the US strengths and make up excuses as to why they beat down the Czech team.

This is my favorite time of year, and I couldnt be happier that these 2 teams will face each other tomorrow (though I prefer in the Gold medal game), but I am not minimizing anything that Canada has done this tourney as some of their games have had plenty of issues that any US poster could throw out there.

these kids are jacked through the roof, if any of them are tired they should be deported as I would give my right eye to be in this game tomorrow!
You people just don't get it, Fatigue, isn't something you can just ignore or choose when it effects you. Sure some adrenaline can offset the effects of fatigue, but only for short periods of time. This game will be played at break-neck speed. The Americans Will show signs of physical and mental fatigue come the third period, whether you like it or not.

Old
01-02-2013, 06:14 PM
Nash

Quote:
so it wasnt a blowout according to your expert opinion eh? hahaha dude you need to stop posting now. the US didnt even have to try from the midway point of this game, if they kept the throttle on it would have been 12-0...score doesnt indicate blowout always, the actual in game play does as the US simply dominated them from start to finish. I am not sure what game you were watching but you need to take your maple leaf blinders off man.

nothing wrong with stating Gibson has been stellar, I am merely pointing out that he hasnt been tested that heavily in games. Canada didnt have glorious chance after glorious chance against him...same with Russia. Gibson has been playing great but again because you want to diminish what team USA has done, you want to focus attention on the goalie as he is the reason why they are winning. Gibson has been very good, and I am so damn proud he is in my net, but the overall team defense has been excellent minimizing second chances, lose pucks in the crease, and swarming to pucks and blocking shots. it has been a team effort, that is why I call your posts idiotic as you are trying to dimish this team which is usual fodder on here.

I dont know what the US will do medal wise and likely could lose tomorrow, but there is no dillusions of grandeur here from many of the US posters. this team had scoring issues and now these kids have the confidence to play better then they did against Canada and Russia. and though I thought the US didnt look that great offensively against both Russia and Canada, what does that say about those teams who only mustered up 2 goals each? your acting like both teams are offensive juggernauts which they arent. I think the US is the #1 scoring team now, though I could be wrong...all it takes is momentum and the US forwards now have it.
It was a blow out. No denying that. It's just the over enthusiasm in beating a weaker opponent when, yes, lucky bounces aided in the score is a bit much. Who is being arrogant now talking about taking your foot off the pedal and letting up. You really think it could have been 12-0? Maybe you should listen to RedWings19405 who admits the team has looked fatigued already.

All I'm saying with Gibson is that any team would be hard pressed to score 4 goals on him. It's no wonder the lesser teams gave up and started taking stupid runs at your players. I'm not attributing the last two wins to him. You need to calm down.

Where have I stated that either Russia or Canada are offensive juggernauts? I've never even predicted a score for this game. For the record, I think it will be somewhere in the 4-1, 5-2 range with an empty netter.

Old
01-02-2013, 06:17 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

Quote:
excellent post and glad there are a few level headed Canadian posters out there.

this game should be a battle one that any team can win. both goalies are strong and playing great which should keep the score somewhat low. the defense of both teams is solid and the physical play should pick up a bit as long as the refs allow it. I dont know who will win but it wont be due to some of the dumb reasons some posters are stating on here.
Hey, what are your thoughts on Biggs this entire tournament so far?

I have only watched him once in the game against Canada and he looked decent but since you have been following every USA game in the tourny, I would love to hera your thoughts.
Please be honest as possible.

Old
01-02-2013, 06:17 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipsj89 View Post
You people just don't get it, Fatigue, isn't something you can just ignore or choose when it effects you. Sure some adrenaline can offset the effects of fatigue, but only for short periods of time. This game will be played at break-neck speed. The Americans Will show signs of physical and mental fatigue come the third period, whether you like it or not.
I have played the game my whole life, these kids WILL NOT feel the fatigue....this isnt May where they are dead tired from a long season...its the first days of January off of back to back EASY blowout wins... not sure why it doesnt sink in with you but I dont buy any stupid fatigue talk here...

End of story.

Old
01-02-2013, 06:20 PM
phillipsj89

Quote:
I have played the game my whole life, these kids WILL NOT feel the fatigue....this isnt May where they are dead tired from a long season...its the first days of January off of back to back EASY blowout wins... not sure why it doesnt sink in with you but I dont buy any stupid fatigue talk here...

End of story.
I ahve played my whole life as well, and you are right. They may not "FEEL" Fatigue per-say, but it will most definitely effect them, not only physically but mentally as well.

Old
01-02-2013, 06:21 PM
therealdeal

I have a bad feeling for Team Canada tomorrow, but hopefully it's a good game either way.

Enjoy the game all!

Old
01-02-2013, 06:22 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fearless Leaf View Post
Hey, what are your thoughts on Biggs this entire tournament so far?

I have only watched him once in the game against Canada and he looked decent but since you have been following every USA game in the tourny, I would love to hera your thoughts.
Please be honest as possible.
ohhh I will be honest!

he has been decent. nothing great and nothing bad. he has played on the third line with Lucia and Trocheck getting less icetime then the top lines. that line really hasnt had the impact I thought they would of had and against the Czechs they took off Lucia and put Grimaldi on that line. I will say this about Biggs, he has looked much better these last two games then the first 2 games of the tourney. that could be said for a number of our players, but he has picked up his physical play and he actually has made some very nice passes especially in the Slovakia game.

he is a prospect where posters will either love or hate. I think tomorrow is the type of game he was built for and why he is here. if he can continue to play physical and smart, and also continue to make some nice plays he could be a factor tomorrow. the one area I have been disappointed with him in is his shot. most of his shots either miss the net or hit the crest of the goalie. he had a beautiful pass by Grimaldi left right for him with probably 20 feet of room between him and the goalie only to fan on the shot...it didnt look great..

Biggs isnt here to be a scorer, he is our top penalty killer and physical threat, as long as he sticks to those main aspects of the game, he will continue to be a very solid prospect in my eyes..

Old
01-02-2013, 06:22 PM
Muh
Beadle

vCash: 50
This thread has been a fantastic read.

I homer voted USA in SO/OT, but the game can go either way. I expect a tight 1 goal game.

Sucks, I gotta leave for work at 5:30 AM. Wake up early and catch as much as I can, or avoid HF/twitter the whole day until I get home? Choices choices.

Old
01-02-2013, 06:25 PM
Zippy316

Should be interesting.

As long as USA (or should I say Gibson) manage to keep this game low scoring for the Canadians, anything can happen.

Hopefully the US can continue their newfound scoring, or else they will have a lot of trouble beating the Canadians.

Old
01-02-2013, 06:28 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipsj89 View Post
I ahve played my whole life as well, and you are right. They may not "FEEL" Fatigue per-say, but it will most definitely effect them, not only physically but mentally as well.
I am not saying that it wont be felt in the third period, but lets be real here, if its a close game I doubt these kids will even feel their legs touching the ice in this type of setting. I dont want to come of as an ass about this and I understand to an extent some of your points with fatigue...but...these are younger kids that really havent been tested these past two games. they are playing in the biggest game of their lives to this date likely, and I just dont see it as an issue that some of you are trying to make it be.

If they had to fight tooth and nail like Russia did to get in then I can see it being a bigger factor then what it currently is. Housley sat a lot of his top players for the third period at times and I think that helped as well... hell I think he had our 4th line out there on the final 2 powerplays!!

we shall see what happens, but if the US loses I just dont think it will be because of fatigue...thats just an excuse that I dont even want to be heard at the rink...if we lose its because Canada was just the better overall team and I am completely fine if that happens.

Old
01-02-2013, 06:30 PM
Alerion
Get the Can Opener

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muh View Post
This thread has been a fantastic read.

I homer voted USA in SO/OT, but the game can go either way. I expect a tight 1 goal game.

Sucks, I gotta leave for work at 5:30 AM. Wake up early and catch as much as I can, or avoid HF/twitter the whole day until I get home? Choices choices.
Avoid everything. Knowing the outcome of the first period but nothing else is way more frustrating than being able to look forward to the whole thing.

Old
01-02-2013, 06:31 PM
Dangles78

at these fatigue comments. Get a clue.

I think Canada will be rusty....they haven't played in awhile...it could really offset the fatigue factor with the Americans.

Old
01-02-2013, 06:33 PM
Nash

Quote:

This is my favourite time of year, and I couldn't be happier that these 2 teams will face each other tomorrow (though I prefer in the Gold medal game), but I am not minimizing anything that Canada has done this tourney as some of their games have had plenty of issues that any US poster could throw out there.

I'm giving them full credit for their wins. They outplayed and beat two opponents that they should have. I wouldn't go crazy if Canada had gone double digits on Slovakia. There might have been some major penalty issues with that Slovak game that you are conveniently not including. Canada has improved their discipline since that game. Most teams improve as the tournament goes on. I don't think it is a matter of me not giving credit to Team USA, its that I'm not giving enough credit in your opinion. Throw out all the weaker opponents and it is still two 2-1 losses. Of course those can go either way.

I wouldn't be as offended if you saw holes in Canada's line up. I think Canada has ironed out most of what was inefficient through the first 3 games, but we shall see. I include the third game, not because they weren't good, but because they were just coming together in that game and looked much better against Russia.

I would give anything to play as well, but I wouldn't fault a kid for being fatigued after the schedule the US has had. Adrenaline only goes so far, so as jacked as they might be, when it crashes, it crashes hard. Fatigue doesn't just mean slower legs, it means slower decision making. This is not a pro tournament. These are amateur juniors. They get tired, they make mistakes and the hockey is full of those types of surprises that makes the WJC my favourite hockey of the year.

Old
01-02-2013, 06:34 PM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
3-2 US in OT; do work! Waking up at 5 AM to catch the last 1.5-2 hours before work.

Old
01-02-2013, 06:37 PM
kes81sel
Go MacT

vCash: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy316 View Post
Should be interesting.

As long as USA (or should I say Gibson) manage to keep this game low scoring for the Canadians, anything can happen.

Hopefully the US can continue their newfound scoring, or else they will have a lot of trouble beating the Canadians.

Im guessing the USA will only score 2 goals or less against Canada this upcoming game Because I think Subban will continue his dominate play in net and the Defense will continue its man too man coverage type of play.

Old
01-02-2013, 06:37 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
I'm giving them full credit for their wins. They outplayed and beat two opponents that they should have. I wouldn't go crazy if Canada had gone double digits on Slovakia. There might have been some major penalty issues with that Slovak game that you are conveniently not including. Canada has improved their discipline since that game. Most teams improve as the tournament goes on. I don't think it is a matter of me not giving credit to Team USA, its that I'm not giving enough credit in your opinion. Throw out all the weaker opponents and it is still two 2-1 losses. Of course those can go either way.

I wouldn't be as offended if you saw holes in Canada's line up. I think Canada has ironed out most of what was inefficient through the first 3 games, but we shall see. I include the third game, not because they weren't good, but because they were just coming together in that game and looked much better against Russia.

I would give anything to play as well, but I wouldn't fault a kid for being fatigued after the schedule the US has had. Adrenaline only goes so far, so as jacked as they might be, when it crashes, it crashes hard. Fatigue doesn't just mean slower legs, it means slower decision making. This is not a pro tournament. These are amateur juniors. They get tired, they make mistakes and the hockey is full of those types of surprises that makes the WJC my favourite hockey of the year.
no matter what we think or say as we both have biased eyes and views no matter what we both claim, this game has two pretty evenly matched teams about to face each other for a chance to get to the gold medal game...these kids are going to prove one way or another which team is better. fatigue, rust, lack of scoring, whatever...it will be shown on that ice in a few hours. there really is no further point to go in circles with some of the same issues on here. I hope for an excellent battle, a healthy and clean game for both teams, and oh yeah...ofcourse a USA win!

USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

Old
01-02-2013, 06:40 PM
Muh
Beadle

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alerion View Post
Avoid everything. Knowing the outcome of the first period but nothing else is way more frustrating than being able to look forward to the whole thing.
So true, will probably do that. Just sucks going the whole day not knowing what is going on.

Even tho I was working, following the Russia/Swiss game on HF was exciting as hell.

Old
01-02-2013, 06:42 PM
AmericanDream
Puck You

I am trying to remember in which games I voted in the GDT threads...I dont remember if the US lost when I voted or not...hahahaha dont want to be the reason my boys lose and jinx them by being sellfish and making the wrong call on voting or not voting in the US/Canada GDT!! Ahahaha just let me have this as the US Gold medal hopes lays on my shoulders!

Old
01-02-2013, 06:45 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Because sometimes, you're not the best.
This is not the case coming in to this game/tournament.

Old
01-02-2013, 06:49 PM
Nash

Quote:
no matter what we think or say as we both have biased eyes and views no matter what we both claim, this game has two pretty evenly matched teams about to face each other for a chance to get to the gold medal game...these kids are going to prove one way or another which team is better. fatigue, rust, lack of scoring, whatever...it will be shown on that ice in a few hours. there really is no further point to go in circles with some of the same issues on here. I hope for an excellent battle, a healthy and clean game for both teams, and oh yeah...ofcourse a USA win!

USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!
I'm not a fan of saying a one game elimination will prove which team is better. To me a one game elimination will prove who played a better game that day. That's why upsets happen.

Good luck to both squads. I hope it is fairly penalty free and the action is non stop. Either way, congrats to both nations for making it to the medal round. No matter what, we will both be playing for a medal!!!

Closed Thread