Ray Lewis will retire after the season

Old
01-13-2013, 12:21 AM
snowden
Man is matter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Only player in history to have 40 sacks and 30 INTs.

Super Bowl MVP.
13 pro Bowls.
7 first team All Pro
2 NFL D POY

Quickest ever to 20 sack 20 INT club. Quickest to 30 sack 30 INTs.

Yah, he's one of the best ever.
I agree he's one of the best ever. I just don't think THE best ever.

snowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:26 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowden View Post
I agree with that.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 04:22 AM
Francesa

Quote:
I didn't say he was.

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:31 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

His level as a player should be irrelevant with regards to that crime though, calling him a murderer would be incorrect even if he was a practice squad chump.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 11:50 AM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
"Following a Super Bowl XXXIV party in Atlanta on January 31, 2000, a fight broke out between Lewis and his companions and another group of people, resulting in the stabbing deaths of Jacinth Baker and Richard Lollar. Lewis and two companions, Reginald Oakley and Joseph Sweeting, were questioned by Atlanta police, and 11 days later the three men were indicted on murder and aggravated-assault charges. The white suit Lewis was wearing the night of the killings has never been found. Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard alleged the blood-stained suit was dumped in a garbage bin outside a fast food restaurant.

Lewis' attorneys, Don Samuel and Ed Garland, of the Atlanta law firm Garland, Samuel & Loeb, negotiated a plea agreement with Howard, where the murder charges against Lewis were dismissed in exchange for his testimony against Oakley and Sweeting, and his guilty plea to a misdemeanor charge of obstruction of justice. Lewis admitted he gave a misleading statement to police on the morning after the killings. Superior Court Judge Alice D. Bonner sentenced Lewis to 12 months' probation, the maximum sentence for a first-time offender, and he was fined $250,000 by the NFL, which was believed to be the highest fine levied against an NFL player for an infraction not involving substance abuse."

[mod]

He's not a legend. Derrick Brooks is a better LB as is about 6-7 other all time greats. Get off your high horse. He's a criminal Plain and simple.
He is a legend.
What you've never been in a bar fight? That one just ended badly. **** happens. Prosecution went after the big name thats about it...
I think you are the one on who needs to get off your high horse.

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:05 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

What a charmed existence those of us who have nver been implicated in a murder must have lead.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:09 PM
Francesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
His level as a player should be irrelevant with regards to that crime though, calling him a murderer would be incorrect even if he was a practice squad chump.
People don't get the facts straight. People want to parrot incorrect talking points. It's sad

Francesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:10 PM
FakeKidPoker*

Brett Favre is a legend yet people can't resist dragging his name through the mud.

What Lewis may or may not have done was far, far, far worse.

Get over it.

FakeKidPoker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:24 PM
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post
He is a legend.
What you've never been in a bar fight? That one just ended badly. **** happens. Prosecution went after the big name thats about it...
Prosecution cut a deal with the big name... that is the complete opposite of going after him.

JCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:30 PM
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
People don't get the facts straight. People want to parrot incorrect talking points. It's sad
Yes, some people do indeed need to get their facts strait.

Facts are, Ray Lewis was an accomplice in a double homicide. He was charged with murder (for having participated in the assault) and cut a plea deal to lesser charges.

Last edited by JCD: 01-13-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old
01-13-2013, 12:33 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Have I?

Old
01-13-2013, 12:36 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeKidPoker View Post
Brett Favre is a legend yet people can't resist dragging his name through the mud.

Get over it.
I expect an even more vigorous defense of Pac-Man Jones the next time his name comes up. After all his friends only paralysed someone.

Old
01-13-2013, 12:39 PM
4thline4life
The Mased God

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post
He is a legend.
No I've never been in a bar fight where two people were killed and I actively tried to cover it up. Hell I'd(and almost every everyday person) probably be in jail...but yeah the prosecution wanted a 'name'.

4thline4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 12:39 PM
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeKidPoker View Post

Get over it.
... and Favre has what to do with this thread?

Your obsession with Favre is disturbing to say the least.

Old
01-13-2013, 03:23 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCD View Post
Yes, some people do indeed need to get their facts strait.

Facts are, Ray Lewis was an accomplice in a double homicide. He was charged with murder (for having participated in the assault) and cut a plea deal to lesser charges.
You forgot his charges were dropped.

Old
01-13-2013, 03:36 PM
JCD

Quote:
You forgot his charges were dropped.
No, I mentioned that he took the plea deal.

He plead guilty to lesser charges and agreed to work with the prosecution in order to get out of the murder charges.

That so many of you try to deny what happened will not make it go away.

Old
01-13-2013, 05:33 PM
le_sean

Quote:

He plead guilty to lesser charges and agreed to work with the prosecution in order to get out of the murder charges.

Who the hell cares? Instead of looking at the person he once was, look at the person he is now. Do you have any idea how much money and time he's given to the community after becoming a great football player? Do we really want to obsess over an idiotic thing he was involved in as a youth? He's clearly not that kind of person anymore. Give the man his dues.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 06:21 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Who the hell cares? Instead of looking at the person he once was, look at the person he is now. Do you have any idea how much money and time he's given to the community after becoming a great football player? Do we really want to obsess over an idiotic thing he was involved in as a youth? He's clearly not that kind of person anymore. Give the man his dues.
I don't think you can call Ray Lewis a murderer (it's inaccurate in a legal sense and it's pure speculation beyond that) but he was 25 when this happened and already an all-pro player. Can't blame that on youth.

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 06:23 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:

He took a plea deal and the murder charges were dropped. Is that not true?

Old
01-13-2013, 07:59 PM
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
You seriously don't think a double homicide is a big deal? I suspect the victims and their families care. Well, not the victims, they are dead. No matter how much Ray donates or what community service he did won't change that.

As I stated before, I give the man his due as being a first ballet HOF player and getting his life together. After that and (as far as we know) has never had another run in with the law. He owned up to his crime. Here is a thought: why don't you and the other fanboys own up and admit that what he did was horrible. It wasn't misguided youth (he was 25). He wasn't wrongfully accused. He wasn't targeted just because he was "a name". He was involved in a heinous act. He admitted it and moved on. Funny how Ray was able to admit what he did, but none of you can.

Last edited by JCD: 01-13-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old
01-13-2013, 08:00 PM
JCD

Quote:
He took a plea deal and the murder charges were dropped. Is that not true?
Reduced. You make it seem like they cleared him of the charges, that is not the case at all.

Old
01-13-2013, 08:11 PM
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I don't think you can call Ray Lewis a murderer (it's inaccurate in a legal sense and it's pure speculation beyond that) but he was 25 when this happened and already an all-pro player. Can't blame that on youth.
One correction, legally, he can be accused and convicted of murder.

In a situation where multiple people are involved in an attack, the prosecution does not need to prove which one of them actually did the killing. All involved are culpable. Think of the scenarios like a lynching, or if one person holds another down while the other kills them, all can be charged with the crime.

Nobody, at any point, said Ray held the knife or did the stabbing.

Old
01-13-2013, 08:28 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Reduced. You make it seem like they cleared him of the charges, that is not the case at all.
No. You make it seem like he was convicted as a murderer which is not the case at all. The murder charge was dropped and he was charged with obstruction I believe for lying to the police.

He's guilty of what he admitted to no doubt but I believe he's done more good in his life then bad. I believe he learned from his mistakes and that has made him an excellent human being going forward and a great mentor to young people. Especially for at risk youth.

Old
01-13-2013, 09:11 PM
The Dangley One
Dangle dangle goal

Never liked him, the egocentric act is so nauseating. That crap he pulled last week in Baltimore was disgusting and he's been doing it his entire career. I'm absolutely certain he talks to himself in the mirror.

The Dangley One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2013, 09:16 PM
JCD

Quote:
No. You make it seem like he was convicted as a murderer which is not the case at all. The murder charge was dropped and he was charged with obstruction I believe for lying to the police.

He's guilty of what he admitted to no doubt but I believe he's done more good in his life then bad. I believe he learned from his mistakes and that has made him an excellent human being going forward and a great mentor to young people. Especially for at risk youth.
I have never said he was convicted of murder nor even the one who did the killing. Just that he tried to cover it up (lied to police, got rid of evidence, told his friends not to say anything).

You may be surprised to realize that we are on the same page. I legitimately praise Lewis for turning his life around. There are many who have refuse to own up to their mistakes, Ray is not one of them. He never again got into trouble with the law.

My irritation is with the people who can't admit that he was involved or what he did was wrong. There are people in this thread who think he was charged simply for being a celebrity. Or that it is libel to say he was involved in a double murder.

What Ray did was horrible, but he admitted as much and made great efforts to atone for what he did. It won't change the past, but he has done what he could. He is still responsible for his actions, but I commend him on what he has done to make up for them.