HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why can't CDN fans rally around CDN teams in the Playoffs?

Old
01-05-2013, 07:02 PM
InfinityIggy
No Longer Flammable

vCash: 150
I've cheered for Ottawa and Edmonton on their runs. Can't stand Vancouver though too big a rivalry.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 07:15 PM
Shinsuke Nakamura
King of Strong Style

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
People move all over Canada. That's just an excuse.
Not really. Alberta's full of Ontarians and god knows what else. The biggest minority in Alberta are actual Albertans.

Anyway, I was never behind the "cheer for the Canadian team" mentality. I think it's stupid and I'll always think it's stupid. As a Habs fan, if Toronto were in the cup finals, why in the blue hell would I ever want to see them hoist the cup?

"Yeah I want Toronto to lose every regular season game they can! BOO LEAFS!"
"Toronto's in the cup final? I WANT MY RIVAL TO WIN THESE MUCH MORE IMPORTANT GAMES! GO LEAFS!"

Really?

Shinsuke Nakamura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:01 PM
MapleLeafsFan4Ever
Go Leafs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
If theres one CDN team that just about all canadians would cheer for if their main team was out, it would be the Jets by far.
I'm not sure everyone might think that. Personally I have no problem with this but I know some people hate how the Jets fans always boo specifc players from each team very loud during all their home games.

Plus I remember on December 31, 2011 when the Maple Leafs were playing them the Jets fans started with the "Leafs suck" chant. I'm use to hearing it in other arenas like Montreal so I guess they heard it and decided to say it themselves. I didn't think they needed to do that because in Winnipeg's first game in Toronto last season there was a video tribute welcoming the Jets back to the NHL, so I thought their fans would be more respectfull to the Leafs because of that. Anyway I think eventually people in Canada not living in Winnipeg or the Province of Manitoba won't care that the Jets are back.

MapleLeafsFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:45 PM
Devilspuppet666

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrefinedCrude View Post
Oilers fans think you should have won more Cups, IF you didn't have to face the Juggernaut 80's Oilers. And you know what we're right. from 86-89 the Flames were probably the 2nd best team in the league.
this is my point though flames had a good team back in those days idk if your against what i sid or for it

Devilspuppet666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:52 PM
UnrefinedMcCrude

vCash: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilspuppet666 View Post
this is my point though flames had a good team back in those days idk if your against what i sid or for it
Totally for, was just meaning to reinforce your point, as I actually am an Oilers fan who watched those teams.

I just meant we all felt that our team was why those Flames didn't go to the finals more often. Over those few years, the Flames were probably as good or better than the eastern finalists.

UnrefinedMcCrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 08:57 PM
Jigger77

Honestly all kidding aside. As a Habs fan if it was between Toronto and a southern expansion team I'd probably want Toronto to win it. Although I'd never hear the end of it because I have a lot of friends and family who are Leafs fans I think the fanbase deserves it.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:41 PM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Being Canadian is not about waving the flag (that's the American way).

Being Canadian is about our land, our way of life, which includes long winters and hockey. Which hockey? ANY....

I am no less Canadian because I cheer for NHL teams not located in this country (Sabres, Caps, Sharks, Preds).

Being Canadian has not traditionally been about flag waving. Don't be surprised if a Canadian is a hockey fan of a non-Canadian team.

Save your contempt for those faux Canadians who cheer for the local team only when they are winning, otherwise have no interest in hockey, and vacation outside of our great country in Dec/Jan/Feb because they can't handle our winters. They are the true shams.

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:46 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. Toronto winning the Cup sounds like a made up fairy tale. Kind of like the 2012 Mayan apocalypse.
The only real benefit to Canada would be the likely making of a new national holiday.

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:50 PM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
People move all over Canada. That's just an excuse.
Lol more people move to Alberta for work more than any other province by a wide margin. That's not an excuse its a fact.

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/news/na...service=mobile

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 10:55 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilspuppet666 View Post
Otto kicked it in!!!

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 11:00 PM
leeaf83
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFS FAN 4 EVER View Post
I'm not sure everyone might think that. Personally I have no problem with this but I know some people hate how the Jets fans always boo specifc players from each team very loud during all their home games.

Plus I remember on December 31, 2011 when the Maple Leafs were playing them the Jets fans started with the "Leafs suck" chant. I'm use to hearing it in other arenas like Montreal so I guess they heard it and decided to say it themselves. I didn't think they needed to do that because in Winnipeg's first game in Toronto last season there was a video tribute welcoming the Jets back to the NHL, so I thought their fans would be more respectfull to the Leafs because of that. Anyway I think eventually people in Canada not living in Winnipeg or the Province of Manitoba won't care that the Jets are back.
Agreed. I'm not criticizing Jets fans, I'm happy that they have their team back and they immediately became one of the top fan bases in the league but they are easily becoming the best at trolling the other teams. Not saying there's anything wrong with that but it's inevitable that they will make enemies along the way.

leeaf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2013, 11:32 PM
UnrefinedMcCrude

vCash: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaf83 View Post
Agreed. I'm not criticizing Jets fans, I'm happy that they have their team back and they immediately became one of the top fan bases in the league but they are easily becoming the best at trolling the other teams. Not saying there's anything wrong with that but it's inevitable that they will make enemies along the way.
They had a one year return honeymoon. There is no more free goodwill. They are just another rival now.

UnrefinedMcCrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-06-2013, 01:58 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookeyPlayer View Post
Just dont get why Canadian fans don't like supporting the other teams in the country, while it seems they would rather cheer against them.

We saw this with Vancouver a few years ago. I suspect it would be the same with the Leafs if/when they make it, which is sad since Americans seem to not have any issues with the Leafs.

So whats the deal? Is the rivalry between Canadian teams too intense from all the divisional matches?
The answer is "why the **** should they?"

Getting confused when someone doesn't is patriotism taken way too far, IMO

Shareefruck is online now   Reply With Quote